Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the whole local economies thing and sphere's being replaced by markets. What I haven't seen really mentioned is how trade between markets will work. The markets are all quite small and local, mostly national at the start. If the UK has a ton of sugar and a shortage of furniture, and France has a ton of furniture and a desperate need for sugar surely there must be a way to strike up a trade? But having to do this through a manual trade-offer type deal like setting up a deal in Stellaris or something would be a pain.

Perhaps there will be some way of having trade treaties between market leaders? Not to join the market, but to agree to limited trade of certain goods between them? So in the example above, France could send a request to the UK for a Sugar trade agreement, meaning the French market could send buy orders to the UK market for sugar along with all the infrastructure and transport costs. UK would then weigh the money income from the trade deal vs helping France fuel its own economy.

Inter-market trade is something I've been really interested from the start. A global market in the time period didn't make a ton of sense in previous games, but totally isolated national markets also doesn't make sense for the time period.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

If anything this economy makes too much sense! How will we have a great depression now?! :v:

That's DLC content.

And yes, I shall preorder it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

if you put these two images side by side you can actually see that it's apparently cheaper to buy luxury furniture than regular furniture in this market

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DaysBefore posted:

A complex economy that actually makes sense and won't stop functioning for no reason? This rules

Also I know it's literally the least important feature but I'm really looking forward to learning how wars will work. Especially for multiplayer. Never actually played Vic 2 multiplayer but it looks like it'd be pretty fun fighting another person rather than the idiot AI
Well I imagine with a new game that is being built this well the AI will be dece-hahahaha no sorry I couldnt finish that sentence

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Takanago posted:

if you put these two images side by side you can actually see that it's apparently cheaper to buy luxury furniture than regular furniture in this market

50 big macs more expensive than steak

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Look it's France, they just really love their artisanal chairs. IKEA would like to sell more basic furniture, but all the factory space is being bought up to make more artisanal chairs.

Although looking at the pictures that seems like a really temporary situation anyway, Luxury Furniture is being way overproduced which is why the price is low so barring player intervention the price will keep dropping until it becomes unprofitable and supply starts dropping due to factories swapping over to make regular furniture which is massively underproduced.

Edit: Well..actually shouldn't poor pops furniture demands have swapped over to luxury furniture then if it's so available and cheaper? Substitutes are supposed to be possible.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 5, 2021

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Takanago posted:

How much could an apple cost? 25 pounds?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A Royale with Chairs

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A Royale with Chairs

lmao

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Victoria 3: A Royale with Chairs

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Takanago posted:

If the "unit" of luxury furniture is smaller than the unit for regular furniture this could make sense. If you wanna go full LVT, everything else being equal an artisan should produce the same value of luxury furniture as regular furniture in a given amount of time, so as long as the labor inputs are the same this would be a plausible result. (Of course I'm probably totally wrong and this is just some weird poo poo with Vicky III's market model, but you know)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you don’t think the day one markets are going to be insane then you have never played a game with complex simulation elements

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Specifically they're by a guy whose bio describes him as a "professional Indie Grand Strategy Game Developer from Hungary", so lmao

I didn't know Ubik moved to Hungary.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

It's interesting what they're saying here because if I understand it properly, the V3 economy is more similar to a modern-day economy than it is to the 19th century!

This is a very welcome change, though I'm going to miss placing an order on 1/1/1836 for 1000 units of artillery.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you don’t think the day one markets are going to be insane then you have never played a game with complex simulation elements

This is why you have model spin ups!! Paradox ought to hire someone with experience throwing numerical simulations together.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Man how would you even model something like the Depression. It had such specific causes that happened in such a particular way I can't see it being able to add in as an RNG thing

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DaysBefore posted:

Man how would you even model something like the Depression. It had such specific causes that happened in such a particular way I can't see it being able to add in as an RNG thing

There could probably be things in there like certain technologies that incentivize pops to behave in a certain way re: the market that would lead to a massive crash, although that would probably be a bit too deterministic. They could also approach it from the other side of things where instead of forcing a depression to happen, it just has certain things it watches for and if the market gets particularly bad it dynamically labels the era as a "depression". Sort of like how in Victoria 2 wars that involved multiple great powers on either side after a certain date would automatically become "Great Wars".

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I guess but that doesn't touch on the Dustbowl. I can't imagine a dynamic system that takes in to account the devestation of food supplies in Europe, models overproduction in America to compensate, then depletes the soil roughly in time for the biggest stock market disaster in history.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love the whole local economies thing and sphere's being replaced by markets.

One of the dev replies said that import/export will be a topic for a future diary.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

DaysBefore posted:

The great depression would be really hard to do, since it relied so much on national post-war finances and the treaties the great powers had with each over their national debts/reparations. But for other depressions, you only need a way for the population to lose their minds in a hype bubble for a decade before it all pops. Panic of 1873 was only one of many, many bubble driven depressions that occurred during this time period. The Great Depression might need special events, but the system should be able to produce the Panic of 1857, or the Panic of 1893.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

golden bubble posted:

The great depression would be really hard to do, since it relied so much on national post-war finances and the treaties the great powers had with each over their national debts/reparations. But for other depressions, you only need a way for the population to lose their minds in a hype bubble for a decade before it all pops. Panic of 1873 was only one of many, many bubble driven depressions that occurred during this time period. The Great Depression might need special events, but the system should be able to produce the Panic of 1857, or the Panic of 1893.

But pops don't speculate, or do any kind of forecasting at all for that matter. They just buy what they need at that moment. I think the only types of economic shock we see will come from shortages (not enough iron -> literally everything suffers), and sudden changes in pop fixation (we no longer want tea, we only want coffee -> massive crash for tea exporters and boom for coffee exporters)

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Not even sure if the Great Depression is even worth including since it historically started with the stock market crash of 1929, seven years before the end date. I don't think the dev team is nihilistic enough to cripple your country's economy right by the end after you've built it up all game for no real reason. And small-to-major depressions may happen naturally as a process of the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Developer in the forum thread:

quote:

Base price setting is more art than science, but generally speaking Luxuries have a higher base price than Staples, manufactured goods cost more than resource goods, and high-tech goods cost more than low-tech goods.

If a building sells goods for 50 pounds and pays 40 for material and wages, the shareholders of that building are able to make 10 pounds in dividends - all money earned and spent is divvied up between Pops, Buildings, and Treasury in accordance with conditions like wage rate, laws, and so on. One thing we've struggled with, but found what we think is a very good solution for, is how to signal to the player whether a particular building is "good" or not given that everything benefits someone. The solution we've settled on is to determine a Productivity factor for each building which is equal to the amount of money each employee generates per year on average (not including wages, dividends, etc), and then compare that Productivity factor to other buildings worldwide both of the same type and across all types to translate it into a "health" factor. As a result you can see at a glance that one building generates £1.9 pounds per employee while another generates £7.1, and that the first might be good for its type (perhaps a Subsistence Farm) while the latter could be better for its type (perhaps it's a Steel Mill that's falling behind tech-wise compared to other Steel Mills worldwide).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

trapped mouse posted:

Not even sure if the Great Depression is even worth including since it historically started with the stock market crash of 1929, seven years before the end date. I don't think the dev team is nihilistic enough to cripple your country's economy right by the end after you've built it up all game for no real reason. And small-to-major depressions may happen naturally as a process of the game.

Something akin to the Great Depression could have easily happened earlier though and its effects could have dramatic transformative/revolutionary ramifications for multiple nations. Also iirc the stockmarket crashed multiple times over the 19th century, just much smaller scale?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

trapped mouse posted:

I would buy that if the Great Depression was the only major economic crash of this era but you also have the Long Depression (which was called the Great Depression until the one we call the Great Depression happened) as well as a hundred other smaller economic crashes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Raenir Salazar posted:

Something akin to the Great Depression could have easily happened earlier though and its effects could have dramatic transformative/revolutionary ramifications for multiple nations. Also iirc the stockmarket crashed multiple times over the 19th century, just much smaller scale?

it did, the depression of 1873 lasted 20 years

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish they didn't announce this game until it was just a couple months out. Waiting a year or more is brutal. I hate being excited about video games

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm thankful for this weird mental state I'm in where I'm perfectly content just reading dev diaries and going "ho hum what a clever implementation!" and then somehow just moving on with my day without obsessively daydreaming about the playthroughs I wanna do. It's very odd.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Theres a bigass wad of panics and depressions before the big one too

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

World economy crashing because a majority of the worlds cotton fields are active warzones causing revolution in the UK

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

one of the interesting things in the long depression in the US was that it was basically caused by building too many railroads. freight rates collapsed from oversupply of freight capacity and with them the price of agricultural products ruining the industrialists and farmers simultaneously

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i cant wait for the tno mod to port over to vicky 3

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

one of the interesting things in the long depression in the US was that it was basically caused by building too many railroads. freight rates collapsed from oversupply of freight capacity and with them the price of agricultural products ruining the industrialists and farmers simultaneously

could you imagine if it was possible to build too many railroads in vicky 1 or 2

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Takanago posted:

could you imagine if it was possible to build too many railroads in vicky 1 or 2

Please no building railroads over literally the entire map is the only thing I live for

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Trains $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

quote:

In Victoria 3, a single unit of goods is produced and immediately sold at a price determined by how many consumers are willing to buy it at the moment of production. When this happens prices shift right away along with actual supply and demand, and trade between markets is modelled using Buy and Sell Orders. This more open economic model is both more responsive to sudden economic shifts and less prone to mysterious systemic failures where all the world’s cement might end up locked inside a warehouse in Missouri. Any stockpiling in the system is represented as cash (for example through a building’s Cash Reserves or a country’s Treasury) or as Pop Wealth, which forms the basis for Standard of Living and determines their level of consumption.

fwiw this is basically one of the proposed solutions to the problem of domestic consumer goods in centralized planning: the price signal mechanism. Shift "willing to buy" to "how many people need this" and is a pretty clever model demonstration

(which when used to simulate a capitalist market has the funny side-effect of COMMUNISM! solving microeconomics. lol)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fisk nearly cornered the gold market, who is to say my st. louis capitalists can't corner the cement market

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Soylent Pudding posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Trains $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying

Have you thought about taking the train less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

fisk nearly cornered the gold market, who is to say my st. louis capitalists can't corner the cement market

poo poo, we have commodity cornering all the time right now through the futures market. manipulation tactics such as JPMorgan Chase commissioning containerships to make poo poo routes or even staying at open sea in order to get better prices

edit: lotsa edits