Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sunswipe posted:

Adam West is one of the few other actors I think could have worked as the lead in Police Squad, provided he played it straight like Batman and not hamming it up like some of his later stuff. Not that there's anything neccessarily wrong with hamming it up, it just wouldn't work for Police Squad.

Also a crucial difference between Police Squad and the Naked Gun movies, in which the mugging goes up exponentially with each entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If we're talking about this sort of thing, the best example I know is from Dollhouse which was all about the actors becoming different people each week.

No, not any scene with the "star" of the show because she couldn't act her way our of a wet paper bag.

There was a scene where Enver Gjokaj had the mind of the chief scientist, played by Fran Kranz, downloaded into him so he could repair some tech which had broken. Now Gjokaj and Kranz look nothing alike, but he played the scene so well it was like watching the other actor.

Then the other actor's character arrived and the two of them played the same person in the same scene and it was amazing.

Watch Orphan Black, which does something very similar but a) way better and b) isn't the work of a sexpest (that I know of).

Also it's a good show in its own right even without the insane acting.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ravenfood posted:

Watch Orphan Black, which does something very similar but a) way better and b) isn't the work of a sexpest (that I know of).

Also it's a good show in its own right even without the insane acting.

She's going to be playing She-Hulk, right?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Orphan Black also has Michael Mando aka Vaas from Far Cry 3 aka the only good part of Far Cry 3 anyone really remembers.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Face/Off would have been amazing if Nic Cage was capable of playing a character other than Nic Cage, because John Travolta is doing a Nic Cage impression for most of the movie and it's great

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pilchenstein posted:

Orphan Black was great for this sort of thing.

God yes! And Tom Cavanagh in the Flash and related shows, plays several variations of two different characters and you wouldn't mistake them for each other.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

She's going to be playing She-Hulk, right?

Yep!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tony Maguire in Spider-Man 3.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Keromaru5 posted:

Also a crucial difference between Police Squad and the Naked Gun movies, in which the mugging goes up exponentially with each entry.

Yeah, but at least the scripts I think were written with that in mind. I still enjoy the first two, the third was getting into that sort of Friedberg and Seltzer thing of not really making jokes, just references to other movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress yeah. She's such a good actor I hope the MCU doesn't waste it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Push El Burrito posted:

Tony Maguire in Spider-Man 3.

*Toby maguire can't act all that well so I don't know if he pulled that off so well.

But now after reading the Sopranos thread you've got me imagining James Gandolfini as Eddie Brock lmao.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

flavor.flv posted:

Face/Off would have been amazing if Nic Cage was capable of playing a character other than Nic Cage, because John Travolta is doing a Nic Cage impression for most of the movie and it's great

Thank you for articulating my thought for me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

I know I'm partially responsible for the start of this conversation but a Cageless Face/Off would have been a very different movie

Might have been better, might have been worse, but as it is I watch it for Cage going completely off the loving handle as both Castor Troy and Sean Archer

Also the doves

And the tiramisu

Tangentially one of the things I liked about the Star Trek reboots was that everyone else was doing their own spin on the characters, and then there's Karl Urban, who should have been credited as "Karl Urban as Deforest Kelly as Leonard McCoy"

I read once he actually made Nimoy tear up, he was so bang-on

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The only thing wrong with the first two Raimi Spider-Man films is Tobey Maguire. Tom Holland is the best live-action one so far, but even Andrew Garfield from the series everyone has already forgotten about was better than Maguire.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Maguire was a good Peter Parker but a bad Spiderman whereas Garfield was a good Spiderman but a bad Parker.

Holland doesn't count because he's not playing Spiderman, he's Iron Man Jr the drone strike lad.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

That reminds me, the most irritating Nicolas Cage movie moment is the entire beginning of The Rock. He’s so stupid and all of his weird interests have to bleed into his movies he is weird and stupid.

Edit: According to Wikipedia he is actually Nicolas Kim Coppola, as in nephew of Francis Ford. That would hopefully explain a lot (like why Nicolas Cage was in movies)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

*Toby maguire can't act all that well so I don't know if he pulled that off so well.

But now after reading the Sopranos thread you've got me imagining James Gandolfini as Eddie Brock lmao.

His hair was different and also he danced. Good Spider-Man didn't dance in those movies.

Edit: Nicolas Cage is good in the right role. Most recently Pig.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Aug 5, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

hellotoothpaste posted:

That reminds me, the most irritating Nicolas Cage movie moment is the entire beginning of The Rock. He’s so stupid and all of his weird interests have to bleed into his movies he is weird and stupid.

Edit: According to Wikipedia he is actually Nicolas Kim Coppola, as in nephew of Francis Ford. That would hopefully explain a lot (like why Nicolas Cage was in movies)

He was credited as Nicolas Coppola in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and maybe one other film before he decided on Cage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

hellotoothpaste posted:

There are bad parts of the rock?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

ilmucche posted:

There are bad parts of the rock?

Face/Off is on MTV2 right now, and I instinctively put it on.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Nicolas Cage is great in the right movie, where both the film suits him and he's actually trying and not just taking the piss to pay off his debts.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

hellotoothpaste posted:

I love that he chose "Cage" for his screen surname from the Luke Cage comics. Alas Netflix/Marvel never thought to cast him in the Luke Cage TV show for that meta moment.

r.e. Face/Off: while I wish Cage tried acting more like Travolta like Travolta tried imitating Cage, I think it was still fun. Cage can act, as his latest film Pig shows (I thought he was great in it).

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC, Cage specifically chose to perform as Nicolas Cage so as not to get work just because of the Coppola connection.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HopperUK posted:

God yes! And Tom Cavanagh in the Flash and related shows, plays several variations of two different characters and you wouldn't mistake them for each other.

Anna Torv on Fringe did a great job of playing different versions of the same character including a version pretending to be a different version.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I think these days one of Nicholas Cage's underrated performances is in Raising Arizona.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

hellotoothpaste posted:

If the movie didn't establish early on that Stanley Goodspeed was a music lover then calling Captain Darrow "the Rocket Man" right before blasting a rocket straight up his rear end wouldn't have made any sense though?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best and most purely Nicolas Cage role is Moonstruck.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone who says that Nicholas Cage cant act doesnt know what they are talking about. It is however fair to say that while he absolutely can act, sometimes he chooses not to. And honestly, sometimes thats exactly what the script deserves/needs. Like I'm not going to pretend that Drive Angry is a good film on any level, but drat its an entertaining movie.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Anyone who says that Nicholas Cage cant act doesnt know what they are talking about. It is however fair to say that while he absolutely can act, sometimes he chooses not to. And honestly, sometimes thats exactly what the script deserves/needs. Like I'm not going to pretend that Drive Angry is a good film on any level, but drat its an entertaining movie.

Let me clarify, he can’t act well at least to my subjective standards as applied to Nicolas Cage.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Bringing Out the Dead is another underrated Nicolas Cage movie. Underrated Scorcese movie, too.

Edit: according to Wikipedia, also the last film to be released on Laserdisc! :pseudo:

Imagined has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Aug 6, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
William fitchner playing Christopher Walken is loving amazing. The only downside to that movie is Amber.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SiKboy posted:

I saw someone talk about Cage saying that he can act but had basically decided that realism in acting is limiting and is instead more like a surrealist actor. I don't know if I'd call Cage the Picasso of acting, but it does paint his actions in a different light.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zaphod42 posted:

I saw someone talk about Cage saying that he can act but had basically decided that realism in acting is limiting and is instead more like a surrealist actor. I don't know if I'd call Cage the Picasso of acting, but it does paint his actions in a different light.

I think as well it kind of depends how hes directed; Sometimes he's been cast because they want oscar winner Nicholas Cage. Other times he's been cast because they want Con Air/Face/Off/The Rock movie star Nic Cage, if you see what I mean? Sometimes you dont want the nuanced performance, sometimes you just need someone to give a performance that the audience are comfortable with (because they've seen it before) and carry your action movie over the line. And, due to a very expensive divorce/tax bills, it happens that action movie Nic Cage is very much available, and probably doesnt even bother reading scripts before agreeing to them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zaphod42 posted:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nah it's actually fine and Ray isn't even that bad.
I mean, I liked it overall, I just thought a couple parts were slow. Once they got back into 'Nawlins it picked back up. I will concede that maybe I need to rewatch it though!

Also I will reiterate how great the gator (who I just remembered was amusingly named Louis :doh: ) was. His character arc was basically I'm a gator who just wants to trumpet in a jazz band -> hey these humans are letting me into a band cause they think I'm in costume -> oops, revealed I'm actually a talking gator -> now in a jazz band again for real this time, even though I'm not even pretending to be human anymore, and everyone's OK with that

Crowetron posted:

Maguire was a good Peter Parker but a bad Spiderman whereas Garfield was a good Spiderman but a bad Parker.
This is the best way of summing up all those movies I've heard.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Nicolas Cage was really good in Birdy with Matthew Modine (1984)

Also in Peggy Sue got Married (1986) directed by his uncle

Edit: apparently Jim Carrey was in Peggy Sue Got Married lol

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Aug 6, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
His best movie is Matchstick Men, but I like him in almost everything even if the movie sucks. When I was watching Greenland I found myself thinking "this might be better if it was Nicholas Cage instead of Gerard Butler".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah, I can be certainly think of some terrible movies he's been in, but I can't think of any that were bad because of him. In fact, more often his batshit performance is the only reason to even watch or remember an otherwise bad movie. Would anyone today even remember Wicker Man or National Treasure if it weren't for Nicolas Cage?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Nicholas Cage 100% commits to every single role he plays and while sometimes the film sucks anyway frequently it's just amazing.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans, the movie with two too many titles, is fantastic. Cage plays a drugged-out corrupt cop (Much like Keitel does in Bad Lieutenant, go figure), and his drug-induced hallucinations are shown in-scene, visible only to Cage's character. It's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVOTx4Lx3pY

Now I need to go watch the pig movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Nic Cage will forever be cool and a-ok in my book for Raising Arizona alone.