Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Disargeria posted:

making sure she gets paid $30 an hour to put things in bags.

Hey, gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kinda doubting this person ever actually worked in the industry.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Kinda doubting this person ever actually worked in the industry.

No they definitely have, they're just chronically BoH and fall into the "servers don't do poo poo and make way more than me for filling cups of ranch" camp.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

No they definitely have, they're just chronically BoH and fall into the "servers don't do poo poo and make way more than me for filling cups of ranch" camp.

I’m offended because as a FoH person I make the kitchen fill my ranch cups.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

nudejedi posted:

Oh you sweet summer child...
Why the hell do you think most of us end up in kitchens? It's not the loving pay, that's for sure.

I was interviewing a server to work at a retirement home dining room, it's not challenging and the environment is safe so it's a good first job for lots of high schoolers, even late middle schoolers. This young woman started out the interview very enthusiastically and then got quiet and distant. I asked if anything was wrong and she said her parents didn't want her working in any kind of a restaurant in any capacity because "It's a place where you meet bad people and learn to do drugs."

I opened my mouth to protest, then thought for a minute and closed it. I thought about all the times I'd had to cover for coworkers with serious drug problems, how frequently I'd been offered hard drugs, encouraged to drunk drive, or do other stupid criminal activities. Never happened at school, or at my bank job, or at my film job, or even working at the liquor store. It always happened at food service jobs. Learned to smoke working at restaurants too.

"Your parents have real a point," I admitted, "They care about you and there is real truth to that concern." I talked about how working in dining at a CCRC is a little different, which is why I like it more. People stick around longer, there are background checks (which if you pass just means you never got caught).

Never heard back from her, and I wanted to hire her. Maybe I went too far, but it just felt like I couldn't sugarcoat that aspect when asked about it straight out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BBQ Dave posted:

I was interviewing a server to work at a retirement home dining room, it's not challenging and the environment is safe so it's a good first job for lots of high schoolers, even late middle schoolers. This young woman started out the interview very enthusiastically and then got quiet and distant. I asked if anything was wrong and she said her parents didn't want her working in any kind of a restaurant in any capacity because "It's a place where you meet bad people and learn to do drugs."

I opened my mouth to protest, then thought for a minute and closed it. I thought about all the times I'd had to cover for coworkers with serious drug problems, how frequently I'd been offered hard drugs, encouraged to drunk drive, or do other stupid criminal activities. Never happened at school, or at my bank job, or at my film job, or even working at the liquor store. It always happened at food service jobs. Learned to smoke working at restaurants too.

"Your parents have real a point," I admitted, "They care about you and there is real truth to that concern." I talked about how working in dining at a CCRC is a little different, which is why I like it more. People stick around longer, there are background checks (which if you pass just means you never got caught).

Never heard back from her, and I wanted to hire her. Maybe I went too far, but it just felt like I couldn't sugarcoat that aspect when asked about it straight out.

OTOH, maybe you did her a favor in nudging her towards a different job. Given the attitude of most people in this thread....

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

I’m offended because as a FoH person I make the kitchen fill my ranch cups.

Ouch. That's some real Clout-sourcing!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Shooting Blanks posted:

OTOH, maybe you did her a favor in nudging her towards a different job. Given the attitude of most people in this thread....

Yeah but another part of me thinks everyone should work in the food service industry for a little while. Makes you appreciate the effort that goes into food, work with all sorts of people (age, class, race etc), combines technical skills with soft skills, teamwork is key.

I tried to write a sci-fi short story about a near-future where you can not eat out at a restaurant unless you've worked in one for a year. Consequentially, children are not allowed into restaurants so dining out takes on a desirable mystique and 99% of children get a dining job at the earliest legal age. Eating out for the first time with parents becomes an important right of passage.

This has a positive societal impact from generation to generation. Eventually leads to a truly meritocratic, if flawed society with environmental protection born out of food ingredient appreciation and respect for human dignity born from mutual service.

Couldn't come up with a rationale for such a directive. Food shortage made eateries have to limit their clientele and they all chose to serve their own? Maybe Foodservice workers started poisoning the rich in large numbers so the wealthy made the law to humanize themselves?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Read this. It might give you some ideas.

quote:

In a not-too-distant future L.A. where master chefs rule the town like crime lords and people literally kill for a seat at the best restaurants, a bloody culinary war is raging.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
FoH vs BoH is a false conflict invented by owners and management to turn us against each other so we don't demand better compensation from the restaurant. Kitchen deserves more money but it's loving bullshit that giving them more money involves FoH making less.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Update re: the meat slicer. We have obtained the meat slicer. Pray for us.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

angerbeet posted:

Motion to rename you "angermeat"

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Was this the meat slicer your work wanted to use for bread, tho?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Shooting Blanks posted:

TheParadigm posted:

or "angerwheat" depending, I guess

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TheParadigm posted:

It's the best thing since double sliced bread, yes.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Mithross posted:

I have an avatar gimmick but if I can get a good one made somewhere I'm not against it.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think she may have been looking forward to a drug and alcohol rich working environment to pass off her parents. Goddamn responsible BBQ Dave.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If she was doing those same tasks (ie packaging goods and delivering them to a client) anywhere but a restaurant she'd be required by law to be paid better. Be mad at the employer and the law, not random customers for not shouldering the operational costs of a business after paying their bill.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 6, 2021

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

pile of brown posted:

If she was doing those same tasks (ie packaging goods and delivering them to a client) anywhere but a restaurant she'd be required by law to be paid better. Be mad at the employer and the law, not random customers for not shouldering the operational costs of a business after paying their bill.

porque no los dos?

Besides, someone paying for a large catering order on a corporate card isn’t a “random customer”

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

eSports Chaebol posted:

porque no los dos?

Besides, someone paying for a large catering order on a corporate card isn’t a “random customer”

Eh, chances are the person with the Verizon card was just an idiot, not spiteful. That said, I'd fully endorse every catering order above some dollar amount have gratuity/service charge (that goes to the employee(s)!) added automatically.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

pile of brown posted:

I like that this is after the edit.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Do I count as restaurant industry if I deliver the food to your kitchens in big loving trucks that block your parking lots and I stuff your tiny freezer so full the boxes fall ontop of you when you open the door

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you're stuffing things in the freezer yourself you're working too hard.
Every delivery person I've dealt with just plops it wherever maybe they come and find you and hand you an invoice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

If you're stuffing things in the freezer yourself you're working too hard.
Every delivery person I've dealt with just plops it wherever maybe they come and find you and hand you an invoice.

Lol if you aren't leaving the invoice in a puddle of water on the floor

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

AdorableStar posted:

Do I count as restaurant industry if I deliver the food to your kitchens in big loving trucks that block your parking lots and I stuff your tiny freezer so full the boxes fall ontop of you when you open the door

Yes.

Now tell me how someone in your position once managed to deliver me a single cracked watermelon in a box rather than the case of jalapenos I orderer. :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes.

Now tell me how someone in your position once managed to deliver me a single cracked watermelon in a box rather than the case of jalapenos I orderer. :v:

Probably the same way they gave me 4 10 pound cases of asparagus instead of the 4 pounds of chives I ordered

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

Would it be weird to just give one of you fellow drivers a call out of the blue to just say hi? Haven't been working a kitchen for a while but still have several numbers of supply guys on my phone and always wonder how they are doing these days.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

porque no los dos?

You're right, in a situation where someone orders a 50+ person off-site catering order the restaurant should absolutely already be charging a service charge and/or gratuity, the payment card was likely given in advance and whatever jamoke was manning the front desk on the receiving is likely not authorized to make new charges on the company card so the onus is even less on them and even more on the restaurant's owners and management.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ughhhh posted:

Would it be weird to just give one of you fellow drivers a call out of the blue to just say hi? Haven't been working a kitchen for a while but still have several numbers of supply guys on my phone and always wonder how they are doing these days.

I haven't been in a kitchen for 7 months and just sent my old produce purveyor and bread guy a text to check in. Go for it.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008

Lol if you aren't leaving the invoice in a puddle of water on the floor

While also blocking the freezer door.

And a couple hours late.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Also, if the employee is driving their own car to deliver the order, they need to be paid at least 56¢ per mile on top of their wage.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Uncle Lizard posted:

Also, if the employee is driving their own car to deliver the order, they need to be paid at least 56¢ per mile on top of their wage.

Is that, like, an actual law? Because unless it's a truly huge catering that involves powered hot boxes and chafing trays and tablecloths and all that jazz, the delivery folks always use their own cars. (We have a company van for the bigger jobs.)

My FOH peeps have been making lots of noise about demanding auto-grat now --- I didn't know until today, but another of those 3 caterings that day also stiffed on tip. If they're organizing and making demands, I want them to be aware of that too.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's federal law.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pile of brown posted:

You're right, in a situation where someone orders a 50+ person off-site catering order the restaurant should absolutely already be charging a service charge and/or gratuity, the payment card was likely given in advance and whatever jamoke was manning the front desk on the receiving is likely not authorized to make new charges on the company card so the onus is even less on them and even more on the restaurant's owners and management.

This. I mean Jesus Christ.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Yeah. Autograt is common for a reason.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wastid posted:

While also blocking the freezer door.

And a couple hours late.

The best power move I've seen from produce delivery was being hauled in something like 6 hours late by a giant tow truck. The transmission had exploded, but the motor/fridge unit was still running so they were running the truck motor in idle to keep the fridge running while paying the tow company to just haul them around for some reason.

It was an even better power move because instead of blocking half of the strip mall's parking lot the addition of a chonker tow truck meant it blocked 90% of it.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Man guilt over the FOH/BOH divide is why I don't work at a bar with a kitchen despite my overall ticket sales and thus tips being a lot lower without food. Not much can be done about it though without tearing down the entire international structure of food service in North America and no one has enough money or clout to do that other than the big chain owners who built the system to benefit from.

Which is probably why the industry will choke to death on employment shortages until our pro-dystopia political leaders get things to suck enough that people are desperate to do anything for work again.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes.

The sticker on the box says stop 9. You are 9. I'm not paying attention to anything about it except for how it's all going to stack together unless I'm digging for poo poo and looking for things in particular from whatever is left over.

ughhhh posted:

Do it on a sunday; I don't even hear or feel my phone when I'm working like 90% of the time anyways.

Today I didn't get to LEAVE the warehouse until 9:30. Managed to get 13 stops/700 cases done by 18:00 which is cool I guess.

Except for the bar that got their poo poo at 17:00 on a friday but you know.

Probably the same way they gave me 4 10 pound cases of asparagus instead of the 4 pounds of chives I ordered

One time this one customer that I delivered to as a keystop got like 20 50lb boxes of potatoes. I think they would normally get like 4. When I noticed that I hustled to GTFO before anyone could get there and tell me to put it back in the truck because I don't want that poo poo taking up room in my truck the entire day. :hehe:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AdorableStar posted:

The sticker on the box says stop 9. You are 9. I'm not paying attention to anything about it except for how it's all going to stack together unless I'm digging for poo poo and looking for things in particular from whatever is left over.

So basically how poo poo works at Amazon?

Yes that's supposed to be a child's fidget's toy. The label with the barcode I scanned agrees it's a child's fidget toy despite obviously being a buttblug with a wrong/stray label on it. Therefore: little Billy is getting his very first buttplug! (I've never actually seen this with sex toys, but I have seen this with chemical products where we will ship someone weed killer in the place of exercise weights or canned tuna or something)

Basically, the same poo poo of "You expect me to get X poo poo done in Y time, when Y time isn't enough? Okay, fucks have been set to zero!"

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

AdorableStar posted:

One time this one customer that I delivered to as a keystop got like 20 50lb boxes of potatoes. I think they would normally get like 4. When I noticed that I hustled to GTFO before anyone could get there and tell me to put it back in the truck because I don't want that poo poo taking up room in my truck the entire day. :hehe:

:hfive: :thumbsup: :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Mithross posted:

I like 'wheat thins' in this context.

Cuz thats what you bought it for.