Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
But how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
1000 microservices is enough that you're back up to a milliservice.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

1000 microservices is enough that you're back up to a milliservice.

:golfclap:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Come to my new NDC talk on nano-services to fix the bloat of those ancient microservices

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
How long until people start trying to sell me on macroservice architectures?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

leper khan posted:

Software as a Single Transaction

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

leper khan posted:

you joke but all these things move in cycles. thin clients vs. fat clients, monolithic vs. modular. someone's going to be selling "Schematic NoSQL" within five years, bet

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Localized Internetless Cloud

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The cloud... condensed

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

The cloud... condensed

Clound On Premises

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

wilderthanmild posted:

Clound On Premises

I know a place that uses this a lot.
https://aws.amazon.com/outposts/

e: wants to use.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JehovahsWetness posted:

I know a place that uses this a lot.
https://aws.amazon.com/outposts/

e: wants to use.

For when your engineers are Stockholm syndrome'd into sticking with AWS?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

I imagine if your whole system is build to depend on AWS technologies, decoupling that would cost money and require information about why was build like that and how it work.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
we use outposts at my job, they have tons of issues like no support for NLBs

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Protocol7 posted:

Mostly when the rest of your poo poo is AWS but you have a data residency requirement I’d think.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Jeez, I was just making a lovely joke, don't need to be goonsplained why you might use something like Outposts. I can click on the link provided and read about the purported benefits.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

more falafel please posted:

someone's going to be selling "Schematic NoSQL" within five years, bet

nodejs + mongoose -> mongodb is already a very popular thing

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Localized Internetless Cloud

People have been selling on-prem systems with a bit of a management layer on top as “private cloud” for the better part of a decade now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It may be instructive to think of "cloud" as simply a programmable data center, irrespective of where it's located, if it's owned or rented, etc.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah and a "private cloud" has a lot of value for some scenarios, because you can use whatever cloud technologies you want to use while also not actually hosting your critically sensitive customer/financial data on machines you don't physically control.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

more falafel please posted:

you joke but all these things move in cycles. thin clients vs. fat clients, monolithic vs. modular. someone's going to be selling "Schematic NoSQL" within five years, bet

Within negative five years, in fact.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Doom Mathematic posted:

Yeah and a "private cloud" has a lot of value for some scenarios, because you can use whatever cloud technologies you want to use while also not actually hosting your critically sensitive customer/financial data on machines you don't physically control.

Yup. I always thought that OwnCloud was a fantastic product name.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Yup. I always thought that OwnCloud was a fantastic product name.

I've been sitting in my OwnCloud a lot more since WFH started

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Bongo Bill posted:

It may be instructive to think of "cloud" as simply a programmable data center, irrespective of where it's located, if it's owned or rented, etc.

There are two different definitions you need to think about here.

If you're talking about the technical benefits of "cloud" then "abstraction layer over a giant resource pool that can be reallocated easily and automatically on demand" works pretty well, and "private cloud" just means that you happen to own rather than rent the resource pool. That has all kinds of advantages and disadvantages and you can analyze the whole system to figure out what makes the most sense before you go with private vs public infrastructure.

If you're dealing with executives who have no idea what "cloud" is besides the new thing that's going to somehow cut costs by telling everyone that all new proposals need to include the phrase "cloud technology" to get funding, then you can score political points by rebranding that crusty out-of-date "datacenter" as a sexy, cutting-edge "private cloud." Never mind that half the software in there doesn't even officially support running in a VM or that provisioning new resources takes three weeks and a VP's signature, it's got that big buzzword energy.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
These private clouds are also a godsend if you're some exec who understands you can just wave around the AWS bill and go "this is so expensive, there must be another way!".

Then you write up some insanely optimistic proposal for building a datacenter, using a private cloud, and leave after the migration but before anyone realizes you now have a lot of exciting new problems and maintenance costs.

Always be migrating, if you're in your own datacenter, migrate to AWS. If you're in a cloud already, bring it back home. You can always invent big projects, you just do the opposite of what your company is doing now.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Rather than like actually validating the date it just checked that it was 57 characters long.

For example:

Thu Aug 05 2021 12:20:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

The problem with this is obviously that other time zones exist, so that portion inside the parentheses changes length. So now that we're hiring remote workers outside of Central, Pacific, and Eastern timezones, which are all conveniently the same length, a bunch of forms that used this code are broken.

I appreciate your company's dedication to not having anyone in Mountain time.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Scaevolus posted:

I appreciate your company's dedication to not having anyone in Mountain time.

Yeah, this code was hidden a long time specifically because we didn't have anyone in Mountain time until now.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I guess this is more of an awkward nerd presenters at conferences horror, but...

Presenter on ethics in image synthesis: "It's important that we as researchers & engineers make sure that we have explicit permission when using a real person as a subject. The Obama video was, in hindsight, a mistake."

A couple presenters later, in the papers preview: "Are you tired of your deepfakes and fake baby pictures being rejected due to high frequency artifacts? Come to my talk to fix this!"

(The ethics presentation was really good and more people should think about that. Also SIGGRAPH should probably have rejected the paper that was all about synthesising novel tennis matches from footage of famous players if it was going to put its reviewers where its mouth is.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xerophyte posted:

I guess this is more of an awkward nerd presenters at conferences horror, but...

Presenter on ethics in image synthesis: "It's important that we as researchers & engineers make sure that we have explicit permission when using a real person as a subject. The Obama video was, in hindsight, a mistake."

A couple presenters later, in the papers preview: "Are you tired of your deepfakes and fake baby pictures being rejected due to high frequency artifacts? Come to my talk to fix this!"

(The ethics presentation was really good and more people should think about that. Also SIGGRAPH should probably have rejected the paper that was all about synthesising novel tennis matches from footage of famous players if it was going to put its reviewers where its mouth is.)

Oh, I loved the part where they were talking about how it might make sense to put a time limit on CC and other copyrights to stop people from misusing them in deepfakes instead of... you know... limiting the deepfakers?!

Less coding, more horror, still SIGGRAPH:
https://twitter.com/lunasorcery/status/1424857476369948674

And they have all those "please choose of one of the many pronoun roles" posts in the Discord, too.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, I loved the part where they were talking about how it might make sense to put a time limit on CC and other copyrights to stop people from misusing them in deepfakes instead of... you know... limiting the deepfakers?!

I thought that was mostly reasonable in context. Being able to do contextual video editing, relighting, etc has enough legitimate use to be worth furthering, deepfakes is more a matter of malicious usage than bad research. While presenting that research you probably shouldn't assume that some image or video some random person uploaded to the internet under CC0 10 years ago is fair game for putting your words in their mouth, even though the license says you can. Problem with that line of thought is more that you probably shouldn't assume that something posted today is fair game either.

Of course, image processing is a field where the standard algorithm test image was a specific Playboy scan for 30 years so I shouldn't hope for too much.

The pronoun selector made me feel old and insufficiently woke, but if someone really cares if they are known as they, xe or zim then no skin of my back I guess. I'm doubtful if actually works to make others not misgender them, though.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

What
code:
fqSqrt((double (*)(double))sqrt);

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Spatial posted:

What
code:

gently caress, squirt, anal squirt.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Spatial posted:

What
code:

Getting a function pointer to the double overload of sqrt and either passing it to fqSqrt or initializing fqSqrt with it, depending on what fqSqrt actually is.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

chglcu posted:

Getting a function pointer to the double overload of sqrt and either passing it to fqSqrt or initializing fqSqrt with it, depending on what fqSqrt actually is.

Volmarias posted:

gently caress, squirt, anal squirt.

I mean ... it's quite obvious what fqSqrt is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volguus posted:

Yes, I thought so too

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Volguus posted:

The only thought I had was quad-precision float square root.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
-0.0 bug in the wild:
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/09/07/dolphin-progress-report-august-2021/

As always and forever, gently caress everything about floating point math.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Beef posted:

-0.0 bug in the wild:

There is a long-standing bug at my workplace where a certain library expects that round-tripping some data through deserialization -> reserialization should result in a byte-equivalent result (if you don't modify anything in-between), but deserialization drops the sign of zero (and probably also messes up NaNs, I kind of forget). It's been a headache for literal years but I don't think it's been fixed yet.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Beef posted:

-0.0 bug in the wild:

quote:

While there is an extremely small performance hit from using two instructions instead of one, we assure you, you won't notice. Probably. Surely there isn't a game being dumb with basic FMA negation instructions to such a degree as to cause a noticeable performance hit. SURELY. (link to next month's Progress Report here)

Although this is about a hypothetical game that isn't yet demonstrated to exist, it rubs me the wrong way. "Being dumb enough"? So if a development house created a game that runs just fine on the hardware they developed it for, but your lovely emulator fucks it up, that's their fault and they're "dumb", are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Possibly? Windows made SimCity work even thought they accessed deallocated memory, but that doesn't stop SimCity from being a dumb dumb for doing so.