Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ok so I haven't been able to shake wanting an extra row of radiator in the summers here.

Unfortunately they don't make a lot of 3.6 5EAT radiators soy options are:

1. OEM Spec - Not a fan of the plastic tanks and low capacity.
  2. An all aluminum version and add a transmission cooler.
  3. Get another model radiator with a transmission cooler modified by a shop.

OEM radiator spec:

Possible alternative fits with transmission cooler;

I would have to get new fittings welded on and the top "pins" relocated, but "2703" radiators seem like they should fit AND have the cooler built in.

I have read a few forum posts about similar mods, but not much detail than "I had it made." seems they modified a 2010 STI performance radiator, get it modified for dual inlets, and add a secondary transmission cooler.

I don't want to go on a fools errand but my coolant boiling off earlier this summer scared the crap out of me and the heat is no joke out here. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Any thoughts?

It's getting harder and harder to find, but do you have radiator shop nearby? Those guys can work magic.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Just listed my bugeye WRX wagon today and immediately got five people asking about it. Hopefully it moves quickly.

One guy wanted to trade his OEM lights for my Morette headlights. I told him no and he kept insisting how easy of a swap it was. :dogout:

I picked up my Crosstrek last Sunday and honestly it's nice to trade up from boy racer to dad. Twenty years of car tech are also very nice to have, like built in Bluetooth and navigation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

It's getting harder and harder to find, but do you have radiator shop nearby? Those guys can work magic.

I'm in Las Vegas so I'm open to help finding out. What can something like what cost?

I want to pay fair I just also don't want to waste cash badly.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's a 3.6r but you are in Vegas. Get aftermarket aluminum rad and a nice big transmission cooler. The lines are extremely easy to get to.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 8, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm in Las Vegas so I'm open to help finding out. What can something like what cost?

I want to pay fair I just also don't want to waste cash badly.

You're not walking out of a rad shop for under $500 for them to do pretty much anything at all. So yeah, it's not gonna be cheap. I'd guess it's on the scale of what wrar's talking about, perhaps more, but you end up with exactly what you want as far as fitment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wrar posted:

It's a 3.6r but you are in Vegas. Get aftermarket aluminum rad and a nice big transmission cooler. The lines are extremely easy to get to.

So just get the STI manual rad, and a transmission cooler?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

PolishPandaBear posted:

I picked up my Crosstrek last Sunday and honestly it's nice to trade up from boy racer to dad. Twenty years of car tech are also very nice to have, like built in Bluetooth and navigation.

lol a 2020 WRX was my responsible dad car purchase. I like my wife's 2012 RAV with the good Toyota V6 but I don't see the point of the small CUVs over something like the WRX really.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, maybe if it had a hatch….

Maybe we can trick SoA into thinking a “Crosstrek STI” is a good idea.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Now you're talking...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I, too, need a hatch to gain storage space in my line of sight.

Speaking of utility. I need to reframe the garage doors. I could have waited to borrow a trailer or just get poo poo done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hobbesmaster posted:

It would be CVT only.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It would be CVT only.

Probably true

Speaking of CVTs do they surge a bit like a dual clutch or is this one being stupid? I basically stopped driving the car once I got my other one but family is finally able to visit so I've noticed that as both cars are in use.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Charles posted:

Probably true

Speaking of CVTs do they surge a bit like a dual clutch or is this one being stupid? I basically stopped driving the car once I got my other one but family is finally able to visit so I've noticed that as both cars are in use.

Its probably being stupid. Specifically the CVT has a "learning" thing that you can "reset". Depending on year it may be as simple as leaving the battery disconnected for a while. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/reset-cvt-learning.430217/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Its probably being stupid. Specifically the CVT has a "learning" thing that you can "reset". Depending on year it may be as simple as leaving the battery disconnected for a while. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/reset-cvt-learning.430217/

Hmm. I will just complain to the dealer next time I'm in. It's way too jerky.

Also, 2020 Impreza, 6.5" Starlink, does anybody know if there's a speaker test function? There are two speakers in the driver's position and one of them isn't working. I can use the fader / balance but want to know which of the two.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

I love having the extra space. I don't think I'll ever own a car that isn't a hatchback. If i did want something a little more fun I'd probably go for the Impreza Sport over a WRX because of it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
hey I've never bought one before but what's an okay cheap-as-dirt roof rack that could be slapped on an 07 WRX sedan roof? Thule and Yakimas are overpriced as fuuuuuuuuuuck

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Duke Chin posted:

hey I've never bought one before but what's an okay cheap-as-dirt roof rack that could be slapped on an 07 WRX sedan roof? Thule and Yakimas are overpriced as fuuuuuuuuuuck

That one doesn't have rails on top, right? Is this a permanent install?

If it's just for transporting something across town, i just used pool noodles and cam straps going through the doors on my wife's former Camry.

:mrgw:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duke Chin posted:

Cheap as dirt usually doesn't go with roof racks. Usually used Craigslist is your best bet

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Wasabi the J posted:

That one doesn't have rails on top, right? Is this a permanent install?

If it's just for transporting something across town, i just used pool noodles and cam straps going through the doors on my wife's former Camry.

:mrgw:

lol I've gotta transport an interior door from store -> home tomorrow so this is definitely the route I'm going with but long-term yeah probably gonna need a more permanent solution since somehow I'm a dang homeowner now.

Charles posted:

Cheap as dirt usually doesn't go with roof racks. Usually used Craigslist is your best bet
Yeah I remember casually looking YEARS ago when I got my (now) ol' beat up WRX and was scared away by the sticker shock... good to see things haven't changed there at all yeeeeeesh. But not a bad idea - I'll fire up the ol CL right now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Or Facebook marketplace now I guess. Is the roof totally naked?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think I have figured out my LSD which will be the Subaru helical one. They are rare as hens teeth but I don’t want to deal with a clutch pack and the cost is about the same.

Anybody know a good source for the transmission? There are lots of JDM ones available with about 60k on them which is what I’d like, just curious if anybody has any particular recommendations for a good seller. I’m on the east coast of the US. I want it shipped to me or will pick it up, but I’m not interested in pulling it myself.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hello, Subaru thread. While I was at the Subaru dealer getting my Outback's airbag replaced, I asked the service advisor to whom I was assigned if she could get me a quote for my husband's car, which needs a new alternator.

My husband's car is... a 2007 Saab 92x. The parts department said an alternator for a 2007 WRX would be almost $600. We didn't order one, because that seems really expensive even for a part for this car. There's gotta be a cheaper alternative, right?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, RockAuto.com, O-O-O' Reilly's (sorry, only 1 O), Napa, and likely a half dozen other places I'm immediately not remembering. If he's changing the part himself, you can find an alternator for $150-300ish.

Was it $600 just for the alternator itself, or was labor included in the quote?

If he's changing it himself, it will save you some money, but $600 seems about where I'd see a quote. Also a dealer is not going to install parts you buy elsewhere, so you'll want to look at another shop if that's your plan.

Saab having been a GM product at the time, you mind find one on a GM parts wholesaler site, but that will almost certainly link you to an ebay page.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 11, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zonohedron posted:

Hello, Subaru thread. While I was at the Subaru dealer getting my Outback's airbag replaced, I asked the service advisor to whom I was assigned if she could get me a quote for my husband's car, which needs a new alternator.

My husband's car is... a 2007 Saab 92x. The parts department said an alternator for a 2007 WRX would be almost $600. We didn't order one, because that seems really expensive even for a part for this car. There's gotta be a cheaper alternative, right?

Internet says the 92x wasn't made in 2007, but still, Rock Auto has 'em from about $60 to about $180, plus yeah, most parts stores should carry 'em. The alternator on my Legacy was like $140 from O'reilly. Changing it is a piece of cake, it's front and center on top of the engine, it's like ten minutes tops. I have no idea where $600 came from.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rickiep00h posted:

Internet says the 92x wasn't made in 2007, but still, Rock Auto has 'em from about $60 to about $180, plus yeah, most parts stores should carry 'em. The alternator on my Legacy was like $140 from O'reilly. Changing it is a piece of cake, it's front and center on top of the engine, it's like ten minutes tops. I have no idea where $600 came from.

You forgot the new belt. That's another $200.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wasabi the J posted:

You forgot the new belt. That's another $200.

Oh good call the belt was $24 I think. And removing it/loosening it is a necessary part of replacing the alternator sooooo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

9-2x came out in 2005, then only had a 2006 after

Edit: parts store alternators can be a gamble. Not sure if anybody reputable remans them now.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Charles posted:

9-2x came out in 2005. They might not have even lasted to 2007, not 100% sure

From what I found on google it was literally just 05-06.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

From what I found on google it was literally just 05-06.

Yeah sorry I read your post wrong and fixed mine. Thought you said didn't come out until for some reason.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also changing the alternator on these is super easy. I did mine in an O'Reily's parking lot with a few tools that were rattling around in the back of my car. I think you're supposed to stretch the belt out a bit before putting it on or something though, I kept having to tighten it every week or so I drove it for a while, these guys can probably give better advice. I just had the bolt holding the alternator in place snap in half on the interstate. Once I figured out what it was I shimmed it enough the power steering and alternator would mostly work using a set of allen keys and drove it to the nearest car parts store.

A Pork Eclipse Now
Apr 20, 2006

zonohedron posted:

For clarification, it's a 2006 92x Aero; I was misremembering it as a 2007. I think the Aero has some different (STI-derived) parts, but I don't know if the alternator is one of them (I've only looked into it very briefly, which told me it should be more like $200 for the part)

I had a local mechanic quote me parts and labor, and they said about $400. This Subaru dealer has been great to me in the past, but not so great I want to pay an extra $200 on top. Any input is appreciated!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are those OEM parts or aftermarket? That sounds kind of high but not completely terrible for aftermarket, not sure how much the OEM ones are.

It really is extremely simple to replace yourself but I get that some people don't want to deal with it. That would bring the price down to about $150 including the new belt since you might as well replace the belt it's attached to.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
A brand new Subaru alternator is about 530 dollars. An equivalent reman Denso is like 150-200. Changing it can be done in less than an hour. Honestly 300-400 sounds reasonable.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Fucks sake, $530, I'd rather give PowerBastards the $400~ they want for a high output alternator. But then I'd need an expensive battery or two to handle it and something to waste that much power on in/on the car.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, for some reason I thought an alternator was more like $100. If it's that much it sounds reasonable, yeah. I don't remember how much mine cost because I was in a panic over already being late to meet someone before my car problems slowed me down for another hour and having another six hours of driving ahead of me after that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Charles posted:

Or Facebook marketplace now I guess. Is the roof totally naked?

Yup naked as a jaybird outside of the stock channels built in

My car is excruciatingly stock af

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I for one am glad that the alternator is easily accessible on my Crosstrek. I spent way too much money on my last car (2009 Dodge Caliber :negative: ) because the alternator went out twice. That fucker was underneath the engine, and nigh impossible to replace without a lift, so it was in the shop for two days each time.

I can tell you it was a trip to look under the hood and see that there's plenty of room, and easy accessibility, compared to the garbage American cars I've owned in the past.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
How much weight does an aluminum Hood on a GC8 coupe save over OEM? Is it worth it for a Rallycross car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

daslog posted:

How much weight does an aluminum Hood on a GC8 coupe save over OEM? Is it worth it for a Rallycross car?

It's about 5-10 kgs from memory. It's not worth it.