Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple is now selling the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID for Apple Silicon as a standalone part..

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK2C3LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-touch-id-and-numeric-keypad-for-mac-models-with-apple-silicon-us-english/

This is the one with the numpad and costs $179, the one without is $149.

Only the silver/white one is offered- If you want the colored ones, Apple says gently caress you buy a new Mac if you want the appropriate color.

Interesting how they literally point out it's only for M1 Macs and not Intels, and needs Big Sur 11.4 at the minimum..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Binary Badger posted:

Interesting how they literally point out it's only for M1 Macs and not Intels, and needs Big Sur 11.4 at the minimum..

it's because it uses the secure enclave i assume

theoretically i guess they could have enabled support for intel macs that have a t2 but i figure they were like lolwhy

kind of dumb not to sell the coloured keyboards separately though imo. also i get the design and wanting to save costs on the boards but i think it's dumb not to have the sensor on the right most key on the extended keyboard

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

mediaphage posted:

theoretically i guess they could have enabled support for intel macs that have a t2 but i figure they were like lolwhy

You'd think that the process to communicate with the T2 is CPU-independent, but most likely yeah they want to focus on M1 and forget they ever sold Intel based Macs, it was that way with PPC so why should this transition be any different

quote:

kind of dumb not to sell the coloured keyboards separately though imo.

Some of the websites claim this is due to the general chip shortage though it's an LOL to think someone's not gonna be able to buy a RAV4 because I bought this Magic Keyboard that I'm only gonna use half the time.

quote:

also i get the design and wanting to save costs on the boards but i think it's dumb not to have the sensor on the right most key on the extended keyboard

It's gonna take a while to get used to that spot too..

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

Some of the websites claim this is due to the general chip shortage though it's an LOL to think someone's not gonna be able to buy a RAV4 because I bought this Magic Keyboard that I'm only gonna use half the time.

But the shortage is on chips not aluminum let alone paint… /s

It’s just nickel and diming. They want people with iMac and busted keyboards to pay the apple stand toll.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I am so tempted on the Touch ID keyboard, I can never seem to get my watch to reliably unlock my M1 Mini.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Three Olives posted:

I am so tempted on the Touch ID keyboard, I can never seem to get my watch to reliably unlock my M1 Mini.

Lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh my God lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I would say that 3O has evolved from “Forums Pat” to “Forums Mr Dink” but IIRC the Dinks tolerated kids

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Three Olives posted:

This guy gets it. He understands the ecosystem

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Did we just get a new thread title?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

Did we just get a new thread title?

nope, and I hope not. I’m v proud of that Gorillaz reference

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is there actually a noticeable difference between the 7 and 8 core GPU in the M1 Airs? I'm tossing up between 16GB RAM and 512GB Storage.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
q for people here --

my wife suddenly has a need for a new computer that can handle heavy-duty excel files (e.g., thousands of rows). she's most familiar with macs, do the m1 MBPs run excel just fine? should she basically just be optimizing for ram?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jay-V posted:

q for people here --

my wife suddenly has a need for a new computer that can handle heavy-duty excel files (e.g., thousands of rows). she's most familiar with macs, do the m1 MBPs run excel just fine? should she basically just be optimizing for ram?

Yes, totally. Yes.

Worst case scenario (extremely unlikely), y’all can always return it at the Apple Store

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Jay-V posted:

q for people here --

Office is Apple Silicon native now so if a normal Intel Mac can handle what she's doing it should be totally okay on an M1 as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple Macintosh: Competently Handling Microsoft Excel since 1986

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jay-V posted:

q for people here --

If she’s already using excel on Mac it will work great. I have some work excel files that only works on windows because of crazy macro code and they still ran decent on x86 excel, on windows 10 arm, on parallels, on macOS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Perplx posted:

If she’s already using excel on Mac it will work great. I have some work excel files that only works on windows because of crazy macro code and they still ran decent on x86 excel, on windows 10 arm, on parallels, on macOS.

but what if the excel files are really big :ohdear:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Only issue I’ve ran into with excel is that complex goal-seeking/solver operations take a while to go through a large batch compared to my old i5. Could be something else, though, it’s not like my excel work is ever standardized. Sometimes I have to do a couple thousand iterations, sometimes I do a couple hundred iterations.

Outside of that it handles absurdly huge docs like a champ. Like I did some work on a 1900 row table today and it had zero problems, slowdowns, or issues.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I work with a lot of gigantic spreadsheets and using macros to process data for work, there's about a million things before your laptop's processor that are gonna be the limiting factor for using excel. If the VBA is poorly written and unoptimized, which is incredibly common, it's going to show on any laptop regardless of the processor.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
ok awesome, good to know for sure!! figured they would have been looking at that before declaring the m1 fastest chip ever but wanted to confirm

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Jay-V posted:

q for people here --

Is she going to be working with workbooks that use the Excel data model for imported data? That’s still PC-only.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

beefnoodle posted:

Is she going to be working with workbooks that use the Excel data model for imported data? That’s still PC-only.
Yeah, the Mac Office programs are not as fully featured as the Windows (or even web) versions. Lack of VBA is another big difference between Mac/PC.

Op should doublecheck to make sure that Mac Excel does what his wife needs it to do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Heavy excel use is sadly a time I’ll still recommend a Windows machine (whether bootcamp’d or native) over the native macOS version. Just too many factors at play.

But there is a big difference between regular (ie the 1900 rows in the example earlier) and heavy (hundreds of thousands of rows, tons of embedded VB etc).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

FMguru posted:

Yeah, the Mac Office programs are not as fully featured as the Windows (or even web) versions. Lack of VBA is another big difference between Mac/PC.

Op should doublecheck to make sure that Mac Excel does what his wife needs it to do.

VBA is on Mac office there's just from small weird quirks that separate it from Windows VBA iirc

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

well why not posted:

Is there actually a noticeable difference between the 7 and 8 core GPU in the M1 Airs? I'm tossing up between 16GB RAM and 512GB Storage.

Not really, it's like a 12% performance difference if you're running all GPU cores full tilt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd be curious if a 7 core Air with $5 of thermal padding would end up faster than the 8 core without it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I got the base model M1 Air that was on sale at Best Buy the other week for like $800 and it seems really nice so far. My first Mac after using iphones and ipads for a while. I don't really use the ipad much anymore and figured this would be a good option to have. It's really fast and the battery seems to last forever.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd be curious if a 7 core Air with $5 of thermal padding would end up faster than the 8 core without it.

why don’t they do this already - so the bottom doesn’t get unreasonably hot?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Generic Monk posted:

yes, people are modding them and it can get the bottom very hot

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

Same reason that VW, Audi and Porsche models using the same chassis and engine are conveniently provided in increasing 10hp increments

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

yes, people are modding them and it can get the bottom very hot

yeah, here's a good video from of all places ltt about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghDvyItIHTY

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

italian quid posted:

Same reason that VW, Audi and Porsche models using the same chassis and engine are conveniently provided in increasing 10hp increments

This analogy doesn't work because these aren't in any way the same chassis designs (some have cooling fans, some do not!) and there are no known artificial performance limiters. All M1 systems seem to run with no limits while cold. As the chip heats up, all will dial back clocks to keep M1 temp under the rated operating limit (which Apple doesn't publish, but experimentally seems to be somewhere around 90-100C iirc, a figure which is in line with other similar chips).

This is why MacBook Air cooling mods need no software hacks: improve the factory cooling solution enough, and you automatically get the same sustained performance as fan-haver models.

(As others have noted, the mod has a human comfort and safety cost, so it's not too surprising Apple doesn't ship them that way from the factory.)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

limaCAT posted:

Dear diary, today I found myself wishing the gestures over the magic mouse behaved like a trackpad because I didn't want to move the hand to move the mouse. :gonk:

I've never understood why you can't pinch with two fingers on a magic mouse.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ziploc posted:

Sure you could probably do this with BetterTouchTool

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ziploc posted:

Because Jony has fat fingers and he'd rather you did that on a Tragic Trackpad

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Because Jony has fat fingers and he'd rather you did that on a Tragic Macpad
Fixed, and I will only ever call them this now.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

~Coxy posted:

Thanks very much, that's perfect.

Probably not fussed about Monterey, and not about BT or WiFi.

Hopefully I can find some ECC DDR3 and a USB3 card for it.

Just a reminder that it’s REGISTERED ECC. What’s the spec you need? I think I have 16gb I yanked out of my 3,1 but it’s only 1600mhz probably.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Heavy excel use is sadly a time I’ll still recommend a Windows machine (whether bootcamp’d or native) over the native macOS version. Just too many factors at play.

But there is a big difference between regular (ie the 1900 rows in the example earlier) and heavy (hundreds of thousands of rows, tons of embedded VB etc).

I haven't tested in years, but it used to be comical how much faster OpenOffice was on Mac compared to Microsoft Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I haven't tested in years, but it used to be comical how much faster OpenOffice was on Mac compared to Microsoft Office.
Wonder if that was before or after the Office code base merge. I'd guess before considering how rough Mac Office was for so long, but it feels like it's also been a while since the merge.