Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Sonic Dude posted:

Again, if your usage of a vehicle makes that a priority, spend your money accordingly. It did not weigh into my decision. I am still not likely to die in a horrible fireball, at least any more than I was when I didn’t have people in the back seat of my Kia.

Folks, this is what you get when you "let the market decide". You get people knowingly buying cars lacking basic safely features like "a way to escape in case of fire".

This brain genius never transports people in the back seat of his car. Never. When he does, he carefully informs them that if there's a fire and no electric power, they'll need to try and escape out the front doors. His potential passengers then make informed, carefully considered decisions. If they accept that risk by entering the vehicle it doesn't matter if they die.

All that matters is whether there is some point previously where they accepted some chance of death. If they die, they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/NotE0157H7/status/1018559254851022848

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Like I personally don't need doors that can be opened in an emergency. If you do that's ok, but don't force your choices on me is all I'm saying.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I overlooked the risks of the car when I bought it. Why can't you???

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

Folks, this is what you get when you "let the market decide". You get people knowingly buying cars lacking basic safely features like "a way to escape in case of fire".

This brain genius never transports people in the back seat of his car. Never. When he does, he carefully informs them that if there's a fire and no electric power, they'll need to try and escape out the front doors. His potential passengers then make informed, carefully considered decisions. If they accept that risk by entering the vehicle it doesn't matter if they die.

All that matters is whether there is some point previously where they accepted some chance of death. If they die, they die.
Yes, none of what you said is ridiculous hyperbole. It’s a completely accurate restatement of “I so rarely transport more than 2 people in my car that I find it acceptable to say ‘oh, there’s a latch on the door if the button doesn’t work’ on the rare occasion that there is a human in that seat and a problem occurs.” Those words are absolutely equivalent.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cat Hatter posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, monster trucks have remote shutoffs because even in a stadium they're fully capable of driving up the wall and into the crowd if the driver knocks themselves unconscious. That's probably a closer call than I'd want if I was in the crowd though.

For anyone who doesn't know, monster truck rallies are actually a loving blast to attend, and if you ever have the chance to go to one you should take it. It's a 'sport' for 12-year-old boys and their dads, but drat if it isn't some of the best automotive entertainment you can see in an arena.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

During the (last) height of COVID our local sports stadium complex hosted a drive-through monster truck show. The kids loved it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mister Speaker posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, monster truck rallies are actually a loving blast to attend, and if you ever have the chance to go to one you should take it. It's a 'sport' for 12-year-old boys and their dads, but drat if it isn't some of the best automotive entertainment you can see in an arena.

:respek: One of the only things I miss due to the march of technology is when a monster truck leaps into the air and seeing a thousand flashbulbs go off in the background. Adds some razzle dazzle to dramatic moments.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Sonic Dude posted:

Yes, none of what you said is ridiculous hyperbole. It’s a completely accurate restatement of “I so rarely transport more than 2 people in my car that I find it acceptable to say ‘oh, there’s a latch on the door if the button doesn’t work’ on the rare occasion that there is a human in that seat and a problem occurs.” Those words are absolutely equivalent.

there literally isn't an extra latch on the back door of any tesla cars. go double check what you have.

either you have a cable under the carpet (S), a cable inside the door behind the speaker grille (X), or nothing (3/Y).

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The important point isn't that you or someone else made a personal choice to buy it imo. Whatever, who cares about your reasons. The point is that they shouldn't be allowed to be sold like that in the first place for the population/fleet-wide risks.

Because those sort of brain dead idiot things that could easily use existing technology to be safer, like the (granted, much more often vital) seat belt are usually mandated for a reason. There's a reason people say all osha/safety regs were bought with blood.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

Yes. It is an accurate restatement. They are literally the same thing. You feel that a heads-up is an adequate substitute for providing a viable means of escape. We are agreeing with each other. You're saying the same thing I did.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

NLJP posted:

There's a reason people say all osha/safety regs were bought with blood.

I was gonna say, this is especially funny discussion in the OSHA thread when the entire history of OSHA involves companies and manufacturers pushing back on every safety improvement and saying "well, responsible users just shouldn't do [thing that kills a ton of people], it's not our fault."

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

there literally isn't an extra latch on the back door of any tesla cars. go double check what you have.

either you have a cable under the carpet (S), a cable inside the door behind the speaker grille (X), or nothing (3/Y).
I literally pulled the cord to test it in my Model Y. It opened the door as expected. This is not some imaginary hardware that Musk tried to tweet into existence. It is there, on my car, in my garage, right now.

I hate to post a link to Reddit, but it was the first result when googling the page from the manual:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/foq5dk/model_y_rear_door_mechanical_release_from_owners/

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was gonna say, this is especially funny discussion in the OSHA thread when the entire history of OSHA involves companies and manufacturers pushing back on every safety improvement and saying "well, responsible users just shouldn't do [thing that kills a ton of people], it's not our fault."

I think you'll find Tesla completely ignoring basic safety requirements is actually totally fine. I say this because I bought one of their vehicles and I didn't know/care about these missing features!

It's ok to sell things that lack basic safety measures that result in people dying in easily preventable circumstances. If people are willing to buy them, how unsafe can they be?

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
One of the most important aspects of industrial safety is considering available egress routes in the event of an accident. Doors that don't work in the event of a loss of power should be loving illegal. Doors that work differently in the event of a loss of power should have a massive sign on them describing exactly how to open them if something goes wrong. If people can go there, they need a way out if something bad happens. This is safety 101 stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Alright bitches, lets recap here.

Ford built the pinto and they caught on fire if they were rammed from behind. People still bought them.
GM sold them fuckin cars with the ignition switch that would do whatever the gently caress that was bad, and motherfucks still bought them.
Chrysler sold them cars that would slip out of park and kill LT. Chekhov maybe roll in to poo poo.

Not to mention a bunch of other poo poo that would gently caress up people and property that I'm too drunk to think of at the moment.

Basically Tesla, with its lack of a simple, fool proof way to open a door in case of emergency is following the great tradition of American made cars that says "gently caress the consumer and their safety, we need to save like 2.7 cents per car because over the course of a generation we'll make an extra 420.69 dollars and thats PROFIT that makes our share holders happy".

Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't buy a Tesla, the terrorists, or the communists (or both) win and FREEDOM loses.

:911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cat Hatter posted:

:respek: One of the only things I miss due to the march of technology is when a monster truck leaps into the air and seeing a thousand flashbulbs go off in the background. Adds some razzle dazzle to dramatic moments.

I miss that about live events in general, I didn't realize it until I was watching some old pro wrestling footage & saw that "shimmer" of hundreds of flashes going off when wrestlers came out or did crazy moves

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sonic Dude posted:

I literally pulled the cord to test it in my Model Y. It opened the door as expected. This is not some imaginary hardware that Musk tried to tweet into existence. It is there, on my car, in my garage, right now.

I hate to post a link to Reddit, but it was the first result when googling the page from the manual:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/foq5dk/model_y_rear_door_mechanical_release_from_owners/

???

May I direct your attention to the right column, under the image.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Alright bitches, lets recap here.

Ford built the pinto and they caught on fire if they were rammed from behind. People still bought them.
GM sold them fuckin cars with the ignition switch that would do whatever the gently caress that was bad, and motherfucks still bought them.
Chrysler sold them cars that would slip out of park and kill LT. Chekhov maybe roll in to poo poo.

Not to mention a bunch of other poo poo that would gently caress up people and property that I'm too drunk to think of at the moment.

Basically Tesla, with its lack of a simple, fool proof way to open a door in case of emergency is following the great tradition of American made cars that says "gently caress the consumer and their safety, we need to save like 2.7 cents per car because over the course of a generation we'll make an extra 420.69 dollars and thats PROFIT that makes our share holders happy".

Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't buy a Tesla, the terrorists, or the communists (or both) win and FREEDOM loses.

:911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911:

The ignition switch would switch from Run to Accessory mode just from the vibrations generated while driving which would turn off the engine and the power steering, and disable the air bags.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

???

Yes, I can only assume that’s a misprint since the Model Y manual was apparently previously the Model 3 manual, and a number of people here have pointed out that the 3 has no such cord. (I just checked the 3 manual and the note is also there, but next to the front door manual release instead of directly below the instructions on the rear door release.) The picture above that note is of the actual cord to pull, and that reflects what is inside my door pockets. That cord, pictured at the top of the right column, pulls on the door latch and opens the rear door.

You may disagree with me all that you want. It doesn’t change what happens when I pull that cord on the car that I own and drive and have tested.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mister Speaker posted:

Like in what world can a person gaze upon this and not think that it's one of the coolest loving things they've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ALgf2_tIPc

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

The Iroquois Theater Fire, death toll 602 mostly women and children posted:

By this time, many of the patrons on all levels were attempting to flee the theater. Some had found the fire exits hidden behind draperies on the north side of the building, but found that they could not open the unfamiliar bascule locks. ...  A third door was opened either by brute force or by a blast of air, but most of the other doors could not be opened. Some patrons panicked, crushing or trampling others in a desperate attempt to escape from the fire.

They should have done their market research like I did before choosing to purchase tickets in a theater with inadequate fire protections.

If someone had given them a heads-up "btw if you need to escape just rotate the thingy" that would make their deaths ok.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cat Hatter posted:

And then they get their film developed and it turns out that the flash of their camera was not actually able to illuminate the entire Astrodome and they have a dark picture of nothing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

???

Given that that section is literally explaining how to manually open the rear doors, I think "manual door release" may be a specific term that refers to the easily accessed handle that the front doors use, rather than the "emergency door unfuckment cable" for the rear doors.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://i.imgur.com/PuSxnww.mp4

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

what in the gently caress was that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Messadiah posted:

what in the gently caress was that

There’s a highway torch or something similar burning on the table.

A mixture of fuel vapor and air forms inside and is ignited by the open flame.

The explosion launched the top half a few metres straight up.

It comes down, lands in the bowl of fuel, and splashes the fuel everywhere.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Duh, clearly dude is sleeping and his awesome beyond belief self-made alarm clock on the table is doing its job like a pro

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

There’s a highway torch or something similar burning on the table.

A mixture of fuel vapor and air forms inside and is ignited by the open flame.

The explosion launched the top half a few metres straight up.

It comes down, lands in the bowl of fuel, and splashes the fuel everywhere.

And here my first thought was "Fondue mishap"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.cpsc.gov/recalls/2013/big-lots-recalls-tabletop-torches/

quote:

Recall Details
Description:
This recall involves large and small round tabletop torches that have a wick and burn liquid citronella fuel. The large torches have a steel fuel container covered in multi-colored glass in a mosaic pattern. The large torch measures about 10 inches in diameter, 5 inches high, and weighs about 2 ? pounds. The small torches have multi-colored glass fuel container with a metal and wire stand. They measure about 5 inches in diameter, 5? inches high and weigh about one pound. "Table Top Torch distributed by Big Lots, Inc." and item #DC12-21111 (large torch) or Item #DC10-20160 (small torch) is printed on a yellow label on the bottom of the large torch and on a hang tag on the small torch.

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled torches and return them to any Big Lots store for a full refund.
Incidents/Injuries:
Big Lots has received 20 reports of liquid fuel erupting from the torches with high flames, including two serious injuries with second and third degree burns and seven with minor burns. One of the serious burn injuries involved burns to the legs and abdomen and a second victim received burns all over the body while attempting to extinguish the flames. All of the incidents involved property damage.
Sold Exclusively At:
Big Lots stores nationwide from March 2013 through June 2013 for between $8 and $20.

They also killed a kid.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11668-019-00751-6

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I wonder if someone topped up a kerosene device with gasoline? That never gets old.

fake edit: Holy shite!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did someone say kerosene and gasoline torches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_qFWoa_HR4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Technology Connections has been doing some videos recently on old-timey gas and kerosene lanterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tURHTuKHBZs

In a follow up video he demonstrates some fun flame-spewing effects that are part of the normal operation of some designs!

e: god dammit lol beaten with the same channel

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I like technology connections

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's been going nuts on different kinds of gas lanterns. There's yet another one about old oil and gas lamps from the 1800s.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

And then they get their film developed and it turns out that the flash of their camera was not actually able to illuminate the entire Astrodome and they have a dark picture of nothing.

There's probably enough light there already. It's not like cheap cameras bothered to use light metering to disable the flash. Not that I can remember taking any such pictures so I can't say for certain.

Pro wrestling is another story though. The lights usually weren't turned up as bright and unless you're in one of the first few rows you would need a pretty long lens to even be able to make out Paul Bearer clobbering Hulk Hogan in the back of the head with Undertaker's urn.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

I like technology connections

His channel is very good and I like that he has the same kind of anal-retentiveness that I do regarding the dumbest poo poo like wire gauge, old radio/video standards, and measuring the energy efficiency of every single thing in your house and having opinions about it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's not anal retentive it's attentive.

Most people don't think about thing until "thing sucks" and most people don't have the requisite background in understanding how things work and then "market dictates" to their dumbass opinions.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What I need is a self driving coffin that rejects cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

During the (last) height of COVID our local sports stadium complex hosted a drive-through monster truck show. The kids loved it.

I am interpreting this to mean that people drove into the arena with the monster trucks and you can't stop me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVnoqLtrf0