Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I like the shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Entropic posted:

Why are those lands in black & white? :geno:

:iiam:

(Frankenstein, Dracula, Carmilla, the Castle of Otranto (duh), and the Raven)

Tulul fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 6, 2021

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tulul posted:

:iiam:

(Frankenstein, Dracula, Carmilla, the Castle of Otranto (duh), and the Raven)

I'd like the lands a lot more if they were actually styled like this and not just normal lands put through a black and white filter.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i mean the quality on stream wasn't the best but i think calling them 'regular lands with a filter' doesn't really hold true

i really wanna see this one in high def, that's for sure

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ultima66 posted:

I'd like the lands a lot more if they were actually styled like this and not just normal lands put through a black and white filter.

I like this age we live in where we can talk about things in complete confidence when we don't actually know anything about them

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Eej posted:

I like this age we live in where we can talk about things in complete confidence when we don't actually know anything about them

Sorry, it wasn't that clear from the low res images shown off. That said, it doesn't look like it's the same distinctive line art style that is normally associated with classic book art either, as is the case with most of the example arts linked. That was the specific style I was referring to.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only good basics are still the ones from Odyssey.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jabor posted:

I have never ever seen someone buy a fat pack to draft with.

come at me

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

I have never ever seen someone buy a fat pack to draft with.

Draft no, but fat pack sealed has been fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Entropic posted:

The only good basics are still the ones from Odyssey.

Not white bordered.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I kinda hate it, theres no nuance. The other 1B spells have restrictions, and even if its as simple as "cant hit black creatures" thats still leads to moments where its a descion to include.this doesnt and so now its just what every black deck will be playing. Thats kind of boring
It's amazing for aggro decks but the 2 life is a real cost for anything slower. Think you could reasonably play a mix with other Doom Blade effects in the format.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Entropic posted:

The only good basics are still the ones from Odyssey Unhinged.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

No but actually I think the new lands look dope, I’m all about WotC mixing it up with their basic land art.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Lol that people are expressing spoiler fatigue going from Forbidden Realms to Midnight Hunt when they've crammed another standard set release in November for some reason. On my favorite plane so I don't dare complain.

Sorin is on the Crimson Vow site, quelle surprise. Although he's smiling, like he's happy. It's weird.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BizarroAzrael posted:

Lol that people are expressing spoiler fatigue going from Forbidden Realms to Midnight Hunt when they've crammed another standard set release in November for some reason. On my favorite plane so I don't dare complain.

Sorin is on the Crimson Vow site, quelle surprise. Although he's smiling, like he's happy. It's weird.

he's getting married!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wrenn is laser focused at the landfall deck but he seems decent there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wrenn is laser focused at the landfall deck but he seems decent there.

i'm going to enjoy having them and ashaya on the same board

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eej posted:

looks like someone hasn't opened their third eye

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

AFR isn't even the last set with be cards spoiled this week

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

flatluigi posted:

he's getting married!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Nahiri ruins everything again

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mcmagic posted:

These suck and are too hard to tell apart.

There's the mcmagic we know and love!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Sorin got a hell of a glow up.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

plainswalker75 posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Nahiri ruins everything again

Sorin should have got her a bigger rock.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been reading up on the Magic characters and stories and this Sorin guy seems like a real jerk.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve been reading up on the Magic characters and stories and this Sorin guy seems like a real jerk.

He’s actually one of the nicer people that we know of

Characters in Magic are assholes

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheKingofSprings posted:

He’s actually one of the nicer people that we know of

Characters in Magic are assholes

Oh dear

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
which planeswalkers haven't murdered countless people whether on purpose or otherwise

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

He’s aligned with the vampires of Innistrad, but out of all the vampires on the plane he’s the only one who is willing to admit that the vampires depend on humans for survival.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Top three Planeswalkers that are both good and competent:

Teferi
Ajani
Sorin

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The newest ones. Niko, Teyo.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sarkhan is the best planeswalker because he's just a turbonerd about dragons and he sounds like Dr. Weird on Arena

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Sorin is also incredibly not competent and deserved to end up in a rock for the poo poo he did to Nahiri.. for her crime of *checks notes* getting pissed at him for abandoning her home plane to die to the eldritch monstrosities he sealed on it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Sorin is also incredibly not competent and deserved to end up in a rock for the poo poo he did to Nahiri.. for her crime of *checks notes* getting pissed at him for abandoning her home plane to die to the eldritch monstrosities he sealed on it.

Maybe she shouldn't have fallen asleep for a thousand years and let her people begin to worship the Eldrazi then blame Sorin for not picking up the phone because he's in a dead zone instead of walking over to tell him in person when he lives next door. Nahiri is a genocidal maniac with only herself to blame.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Up until that Sorin was a saint compared to just about all the planeswakers. Besides being a blood sucking parasite he hadn't been the cause of or exacerbater of any plane wide calamities. He was really just balancing the scales by being a massive jerk rear end to Nahiri.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AngryBooch posted:

Maybe she shouldn't have fallen asleep for a thousand years and let her people begin to worship the Eldrazi then blame Sorin for not picking up the phone because he's in a dead zone instead of walking over to tell him in person when he lives next door. Nahiri is a genocidal maniac with only herself to blame.

Sorin could have at least apologized for not showing up. He seems like a guy who never thinks anything is his fault

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Entropic posted:

The only good basics are still the ones from Mirage

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

hello. i've been slowly buying mtg cards again since january but still haven't really done much other than opening packs. the local lgs is having a MH2 draft FNM tomorrow and i just realized i probably haven't played a legitimate game of mtg in order 20+ years.

so have some really basic questions (first one now before bed time)

https://cardgamebase.com/wp-content/uploads/Hell-Mongrel.jpg
https://cardgamebase.com/wp-content/uploads/Terminal-Agony.jpg
1: madness..

if i have hell mongrel, and i declare it as an attacker in my attack phase and my opponent declares one of his creatures as the "blocker".. am i then allowed to play hell mongrel's ability and discard terminal agony to use that to destroy his blocker? madness ability is run like an instant correct? so even if terminal agony is a sorcery spell using its madness ability lets me run it like an instant.

do i declare that i want to use hell mongrel's ability right after he declares his blocker?

https://deckbox.org/system/images/mtg/cards/2019674.jpg
#2: assuming the above scenario, but this time i use hell mongrel to run terminal agony, then after that has resolved, use hell mongrel to discard revolutionist, then cast it onto the field from its madness cost.

can i then bring back terminal agony into my hand using revolutionist's ability (when revolutionist enters the battlefield, return target instant/sorcery card from our graveyard to your hand), and then discard terminal agony again to destroy an additional creature? essentially triggering hell mongrel's ability 3 separate times to give him +3/+3, and destroy two of my opponent's creatures? or does the placement of terminal agony into the graveyard not resolve until after we resolve the attackers/blockers combat phase...

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Strong Sauce posted:

hello. i've been slowly buying mtg cards again since january but still haven't really done much other than opening packs. the local lgs is having a MH2 draft FNM tomorrow and i just realized i probably haven't played a legitimate game of mtg in order 20+ years.

if i have hell mongrel, and i declare it as an attacker in my attack phase and my opponent declares one of his creatures as the "blocker".. am i then allowed to play hell mongrel's ability and discard terminal agony to use that to destroy his blocker? madness ability is run like an instant correct? so even if terminal agony is a sorcery spell using its madness ability lets me run it like an instant.

do i declare that i want to use hell mongrel's ability right after he declares his blocker?

#2: assuming the above scenario, but this time i use hell mongrel to run terminal agony, then after that has resolved, use hell mongrel to discard revolutionist, then cast it onto the field from its madness cost.

can i then bring back terminal agony into my hand using revolutionist's ability (when revolutionist enters the battlefield, return target instant/sorcery card from our graveyard to your hand), and then discard terminal agony again to destroy an additional creature? essentially triggering hell mongrel's ability 3 separate times to give him +3/+3, and destroy two of my opponent's creatures? or does the placement of terminal agony into the graveyard not resolve until after we resolve the attackers/blockers combat phase...

Yep, you’ve got it right. It’s worth noting that In scenario #1 your mongrel will be considered blocked even though you’ve destroyed the creature so it will not deal combat damage (unless you gave it trample somehow).

For #2 your first instinct is correct, instants and sorceries are placed into the graveyard as the last step of resolution. If you were to cast terminal agony and in response your opponent cast their own terminal agony on your mongrel you could respond by discarding and casting revolutionist but revolutionist would come into play before Terminal Agony resolves so it couldn’t return it to your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

You're mostly correct with what you're trying to do a few notes though:
Declaring attacks is a step, not a phase. Combat is the phase.
Madness will override all timing restrictions on a card but it isn't an instant. So while, yeah, you can discard the revolutionist to the dog to cast the revolutionist at instant speed, it doesn't become an instant. This matters in that it would still be countered by spells like Remove Soul which counter creatures and not spells like Dispel which counter instants.
Whenever an instant or sorcery resolves it goes straight to the graveyard. Your revolutionist will have no problem finding it if it resolved.
Finally even if a blocking creature dies before combat damage they will have still blocked the attacking creature and that's still enough to stop then from dealing damage to the defending player. You'll want to kill potential blockers before they are declared as such.