Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

instagram won't stop advertising this contour gage to me

https://www.amazon.com/Saker-Adjustable-Precisely-Duplicator-Woodworking/dp/B083FBRJPM

so idk maybe try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have looked at that, but they are way too inprecise and large.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What have people found to be the least smelly resin? I'm currently using gray Siraya Fast, which is much better than Elegoo ABS-like, but my wife still complains occasionally.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SEKCobra posted:

I have looked at that, but they are way too inprecise and large.

You take the contour with the gauge, take a top down photo of it on graph paper of a known grid size, import that image into your software of choice, and draw a curve along the photo contour.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Toebone posted:

What have people found to be the least smelly resin? I'm currently using gray Siraya Fast, which is much better than Elegoo ABS-like, but my wife still complains occasionally.

As someone who went thru this with his wife, these things

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086277CNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

work extremely well at cancelling out the smell.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Toebone posted:

I use Phrozen 4K and my wife and her bionic nose can’t smell it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

armorer posted:

You take the contour with the gauge, take a top down photo of it on graph paper of a known grid size, import that image into your software of choice, and draw a curve along the photo contour.

The gauge has too low a resolution I guess, my curves are like <5 cm in length.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SEKCobra posted:

They make smaller ones where the pins are steel wires, maybe that would work?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SEKCobra posted:

I can guarantee you those curves are something that can be measured with outside radius gauges.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

What is the exact thing you're trying to model?

Your options for digitizing complex forms are:

A) make a series of measurements with calipers, protractor, and radius gauges, plotting coordinates on graph paper or something, then copy those points into the computer and draw a curve through them (or connect them with a french curve and take a picture, etc)

B) take orthographic photos of the thing with a ruler in the picture, scale and square up and adjust on the computer, and trace the shape directly in your software (or if the part is small, put it directly on a flatbed scanner)

C) copy the curve with a contour gauge, then either measure or photograph it as above

D) use a high-resolution 3D scanner to digitize the surface directly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
One of those digitizing pens and judicious use of planes in Solidworks/whatever could probably also do the job, but the setup required to do that would be more expensive than the other measuring tools.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Maybe a photo of what you're trying to apply the cover to could help.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

B) take orthographic photos of the thing with a ruler in the picture, scale and square up and adjust on the computer, and trace the shape directly in your software (or if the part is small, put it directly on a flatbed scanner)

This combined with plunking the photos down on appropriate planes in F3D or whatever and connecting the dots seems like the best bet for arbitrary shapes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah, we're deep into XY problem territory here.

What are you trying to do?

Edit: https://xyproblem.info/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

armorer posted:

They make smaller ones where the pins are steel wires, maybe that would work?

I have such a one, it's 6 inches long and I don't see how you could need something more precise than it

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mattfl posted:

As someone who went thru this with his wife, these things

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086277CNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

work extremely well at cancelling out the smell.

I've used those and they were ok, but I didn't like that you couldn't refill them easily and recharging the battery annoyed me too.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4919171

I wound up designing this filter (which works with the 50mm fan that the Mars 2 Pro uses for it's lovely one pass filter that's probably worse than having no filter at all) and it's made things a lot less stinky in my limited testing without needing charging or remembering to turn things on and off (just gotta replace the charcoal every once in a while).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
There's also something to be said for running searches on GrabCAD and other 3d model sites to see if the thing you want to make has already been made.

But like, just search for the vehicle in question and see what has been made for it. Don't run a super specific search because if someone didn't use one of your key words it won't come up in the search.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I just had my first experience with bad resin (I think). Multiple failures on one machine that looked like resin-on-screen type of problem where some of the print is on the plate and the rest is in the vat. Then all of a sudden a second machine of mine got the exact same issue. The expiry date on the bottle is next week, so maybe that's it?

Very frustrating problem since the failures really didn't make any sense.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Eryone? I just noticed the same issue with dates

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 6, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Eryone? I just noticed the same issue with dates

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled that I just bought 20L more. I shook the absolute crap out of the last bottle and stuff is printing on the machine again so I think that all but confirms it was the resin.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SEKCobra posted:

I guess I developed my own technique because nothing 'standard' really works, I am using wire (solder wire) to trace the shapes and then I trace that onto paper with manual air brush pens. Can measure/scan directly after that.
Also printed a helper part that hooks onto the plastic so I can try and measure some 90° distances which I might be able to reference as well.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled that I just bought 20L more. I shook the absolute crap out of the last bottle and stuff is printing on the machine again so I think that all but confirms it was the resin.

So from what I'm hearing,unless it was storesd really crazy in a warehouse, the resin should still be workable. Big thing is to mix it with some fresher resin which should help things substantially.

Also obviously shot them a message. Bought this resin 2 months ago and like a week ago so pretty stupid it was this stale. So ancy to just deal with Vulcan instead of random companies from overseas

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 6, 2021

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Ok, got the new wheels yesterday, went ahead and replaced 5 of the 6 for the z axis(would have done all 6 but I didnt feel like loving with removing the extruder motor, the wheel looks okay). Got something printing now to see if that solved the issue or if theres another thing im going to have to mess with and find out what the issue it.

asterioth fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 6, 2021

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

So ancy to just deal with Vulcan instead of random companies from overseas
I'm friendly with a couple of the guys from 3D Resin Solutions in Illinois, who are the ones doing the manufacturing for Vulcan. I didn't get in on the beta test for that one, but I've done a lot of testing for their other resins, and if Vulcan is even half as good as the rest of the stuff they make then it should be pretty nice to use. They don't have the lowest prices in the industry but I do think they make some of the best resin you can buy (at least for my purposes). I discovered their products about two years ago and have been using them almost exclusively ever since... it was a case of becoming chummy after becoming a customer, and not the reverse, but I still don't usually mention them here because I don't ever want to sound like I'm shilling for them. except maybe this one time

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Well no luck yet, still getting noticeable blobbing where the seam should be it seems. Next up im going to try changing the bed wheels I guess

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm friendly with a couple of the guys from 3D Resin Solutions in Illinois, who are the ones doing the manufacturing for Vulcan. I didn't get in on the beta test for that one, but I've done a lot of testing for their other resins, and if Vulcan is even half as good as the rest of the stuff they make then it should be pretty nice to use. They don't have the lowest prices in the industry but I do think they make some of the best resin you can buy (at least for my purposes). I discovered their products about two years ago and have been using them almost exclusively ever since... it was a case of becoming chummy after becoming a customer, and not the reverse, but I still don't usually mention them here because I don't ever want to sound like I'm shilling for them. except maybe this one time

Cool, what's better about it? Durability, detail?

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

went ahead and printed an xyz test cube and it came out pretty good, a bit wavey on the y side, but with my printer these test cubes have always done that. i wonder if the other prints i was trying have some issue with them

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Man I love this grey hatchbox PLA, just prints so easily.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Cool, what's better about it? Durability, detail?
I started off using their Hero resin, which while quite pricey, has roughly the same material properties as if you'd mixed up some Siraya Tenacious into regular ABS-like resin. Not totally flexible like rubber, but has enough "give" to where I've thrown objects with plenty of thin details at a wall without breaking them. I've also come to like their newer Standard and Hard resins, both print really well and are quite tough. I use those for most of my general printing, which is largely movie prop replica parts. The Hard resin in particular is really impact-resistant and makes for usable stuff that I'm not afraid to drop on the floor. There are probably plenty of other products out there with similar properties, but I've developed a lot of loyalty towards 3DRS, and even though I'm not a huge patriot or anything I still like supporting a company that's right here in the US.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Do any of these new alternative resin vendors offer niche-y engineering/casting/mechanical resins, or just figurine modelling/‘abs-like” common offerings? i’m not wedded to siraya but i don’t think there are any alternatives to specialized stuff like Sculpt Ultra.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Gonna try printing some polyphenylsulfone today. wish me luck

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What digital calipers do you cats use? And what is the best price:quality one out there?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My main one is a set of Mitutoyos but they're certainly on the ritzy side -- $130 or so. They are lovely though and the difference in quality compared to a cheaper set is immediately noticeable.

When I was in college and only had 30 dollars to spend, I got a set of dial calipers. You can get a good set for that price and I prefer them to cheap digital ones.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have these and they are good. I also have some no-brand ones that are similar, any of the newer HF-tier ones are good, they seem to have solved the ‘kills battery when off in case’ problem, although taking the battery out is also easy. It’s a big jump in price to Mitotuyo pro-level gear.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

insta posted:

polyphenylsulfone

Gesundheit

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Much greater bang for your buck with a vernier caliper. Plus you get more street cred.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Big Taint posted:

I have these and they are good. I also have some no-brand ones that are similar, any of the newer HF-tier ones are good, they seem to have solved the ‘kills battery when off in case’ problem, although taking the battery out is also easy. It’s a big jump in price to Mitotuyo pro-level gear.

I have the same ones and also feel like they're fine for hobbyist work, but it's not hard to imagine wanting a fancier set.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i just bought these and they seem fine

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000GSLKIW

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I buy and use Neiko calipers for myself and the makerspace. A company called iGaging is the BattleBots standard for a variety of measurement devices. I just bought a dial test indicator from them with a selective magnetic base and it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Do any of these new alternative resin vendors offer niche-y engineering/casting/mechanical resins, or just figurine modelling/‘abs-like” common offerings? i’m not wedded to siraya but i don’t think there are any alternatives to specialized stuff like Sculpt Ultra.

The company that makes my printer makes resins with different properties, but they're not inexpensive.

They're called B9 Creator, lots of niche stuff. People have been printing molds with the flexible resin to use for wax injection.