Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The Netflix series has nothing that made the Witcher stand out from your run-of-the-mill fantasy games dominating the market, which is its east European aesthetics. The music, armor design and general feel of the Netflix series feels like your average American fantasy. I am baffled at people who want to mix the two together, the aesthetics of the series don't really fit with the aesthetics of the games. It is fine and good to keep both separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The scrotum armour is a work of artistic genius, heathen.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Last Celebration posted:

Is the chugging just the consequence of playing on the PS4 or was I supposed to leave all that stuff on the ground?

I leave most weapons/armor on the ground and pick up like blue minimum stuff only if I have room. Pelts are a good moneymaker too if you have those lying around like I did.

What are you spending all your money on? I rarely had trouble with currency.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

I leave most weapons/armor on the ground and pick up like blue minimum stuff only if I have room. Pelts are a good moneymaker too if you have those lying around like I did.

What are you spending all your money on? I rarely had trouble with currency.

I have like 7000 gold currently at the Skellege part of the “find Ciri” quest, past the earlygame I haven’t really been jonesing for cash but the sudden influx came from selling legendary super swag that’s worse than my Witcher set. I’d normally say gently caress it but checking around for other stuff made it seem like fitting myself out for the endgame (in proper style at least) could get pricy so Idk if that means ~2500 gold or ~25000. I’m guessing closer to the former then?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Dropping in to say this games still amazing. Been replaying it on Switch, so no mods, terrible graphics, but still a great game.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Last Celebration posted:

I’m guessing closer to the former then?

Correct. It's pretty ridiculous that Geralt keeps arguing with the clients not willing to pay 50 crowns more for a contract when he can carry over 30k in his pocket without anything* to spend it on

*well, anything that seems useful. or cool

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The only big money sink is crafting and enchanting. Unless you really like the brothel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Last Celebration posted:

Hey thread, I’m pretty new to this series and it’s pretty good even if it is pretty much literally the epitome of “too much of a good thing”. So umm, something I’m confused on. I’ve been killing loads of bandits and selling their crappy hatchets and other assorted weaponry because that seems to be the best way to make money in this game.

But it sorta seems like it wasn’t intended cause it’s making my preferred vendors chug in the interface and even my stash inventory chugs like a mother from all the stuff I stashed before I could reach a decent blacksmith to sell it to. Is the chugging just the consequence of playing on the PS4 or was I supposed to leave all that stuff on the ground?

Welcome to the WItcher.

And, yeah, you hardly need any of that poo poo and the entire inventory system is a drag on the whole game IMO. Seems like the main advice is to just play the thing and not worry too much about it, which is fine except there's SOME stuff you absolutely DO want to pursue and figuring out one from another is a colossal pain in the rear end.

I never figured out if I was better off breaking stuff down for materials to build other poo poo or if I already had the thing I needed to build certain other poo poo. But, as I understand it, none of that will really gently caress up your play through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah most stuff doesn't actually cost much money, so you very rapidly get to the point where it's not worth picking stuff up unless it's highlighted Blue, Gold, or Brown. And even the blues are pretty dubious.

Often as not what you want to do is disassemble them for crafting mats too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You will need immense immense amounts of money for grandmaster gear in BaW, but that's a long way off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just got the runesmith unlocked, what runes are good? The lesser ones seem a bit underwhelming

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tunicate posted:

I just got the runesmith unlocked, what runes are good? The lesser ones seem a bit underwhelming

It's been a while, but I think I put armor piercing and bleeding on my steel swords and attack power/bleeding on silver? You'll go through plenty of swords so just play around. It might also be better to triple stack something honestly, I don't remember.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Armor peircing is surprisingly terrible for reasons I saw explained on Reddit once. I think the issue was that enemies generally have either no armor, or so much that the peircing has no real effect.

Pure damage struck me as best for Steel, since human enemies don't live long enough for other effects to really work. Bleeding for Silver, the damage you get from it is crazy, and the monsters have enough hit points for it to accumulate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I looked up the post and yeesh, apparently most of the tankier enemies have passive damage resistance that’s doing most of the heavy lifting so defense piercing really seems like trash compared to just building up Geralt on dank concoctions.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Tunicate posted:

I always stop at the second tier and get the one that increases the length of whirl and rend and the one that turns heavy armour into medium for stamina purposes. Then get the griffin school skill. You'll be able to whirl almost constantly in heavy armour.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

I looked up the post and yeesh, apparently most of the tankier enemies have passive damage resistance that’s doing most of the heavy lifting so defense piercing really seems like trash compared to just building up Geralt on dank concoctions.

If Geralt doesn't look like he's midway through a week long bender then you're playing the game wrong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Probably, it took a depressingly long time to realize I could chug potions in the menu without fumbling around and making a unique loadout for every miniboss so I’ll probably be chugging till I die going forward. Literally.

Also I did the memorial race until Cleaver gave me an offer to do a super illegal one. It seems pretty easy but also I keep failing cause the map doesn’t really have clear indicators besides following the minimap and not loving up a turn, is there anything good like a Super Stamina handbag locked behind it or more story or should I say gently caress it?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
You can ignore it or leave it till you have an awesome saddle.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Interesting bug.

It seems Ballisae fruit has despawned from my game. I can't buy it from any herbalist, and when I gather it from the plants in the world, the loot menu is empty. Harvest the plant, loot box pops open but it's empty. I can't make Killer Whale :(

Has anyone experienced this?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 9, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Are you running mods? They can gently caress up the loot table and delete the entry.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tunicate posted:

I really like the armor one that makes Igni explode anyone killed with it and spread the burning to adjacent enemies. Not sure how effective it is, but I've never struggled using it even on higher difficulties and it seems to make packs of things pretty trivial.

e: Eruption is what it's called.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Freezing Aard is the most broken poo poo in the game, in a good way.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Fuzz posted:

Are you running mods? They can gently caress up the loot table and delete the entry.

I am, though I believe this bug is a recent thing. Guess I'll remove the last two mods I installed.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Levantine posted:

I really like the armor one that makes Igni explode anyone killed with it and spread the burning to adjacent enemies. Not sure how effective it is, but I've never struggled using it even on higher difficulties and it seems to make packs of things pretty trivial.

e: Eruption is what it's called.

The runesmith is neat but all that stuff is made obsolete as soon as you get to the grand mastercrafted vendor in Beauclair.

Like everything else in this game, gear wise, cool or good looking gear is replaced in short order.

I'll rock the Venomous Viper gear forever because it looks swish af.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

I am, though I believe this bug is a recent thing. Guess I'll remove the last two mods I installed.

Be careful, removing them after the fact could break things even more. Safest move is revert to an old save from before them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Couldn't you just add the item you need via console command?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Khizan posted:

Couldn't you just add the item you need via console command?

Yeah, that'd be my first step as well. Spawn the item in and see what happens - or just spawn in the Killer Whale instead?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I removed two mods: one that caused the viper armor to behave as light armor, and another that did something with gear scaling.

It's fixed now.

NOW I want to start a new game, FROM THE BEGINNING, and just use the bog standard kaer morhen starting armor, but with better textures, that also level up.

Does anyone know of any preferred mods for this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

lite_sleepr posted:

I removed two mods: one that caused the viper armor to behave as light armor, and another that did something with gear scaling.

It's fixed now.

NOW I want to start a new game, FROM THE BEGINNING, and just use the bog standard kaer morhen starting armor, but with better textures, that also level up.

Does anyone know of any preferred mods for this?

No Levels is a good one that gives every item flat stats. Your starting armour won't be as good as mastercrafted gear but it will still be strong enough to last all game.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I played like 20 hours of TW3 and then ragequit when I discovered that, because I used my penultimate save from TW2 and not one from after the credits or something, Letho ended up dead and my immersion was ruined. Now I want to go back and just simulate the save I want, after I finish my current run through the Souls games. Are there any mod recommendations or other important things that don't get covered in the second post that I should keep in mind, now that we are in the year of our lord 2021?

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Should I always start a new play through? I've seen a few people claiming that going new game plus can break a few things.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Whitest Russian posted:

Should I always start a new play through? I've seen a few people claiming that going new game plus can break a few things.

NG+ is mostly fine, aside from some weird scaling and inventory issues. Some enemies will be complete pushovers and some will effortlessly annihilate you, and it's not always clear which is going to be which. And everything becomes mysteriously immune to any kind of knockdowns after a certain level, which greatly limits the usefulness/brokenness of various Aard builds. But on the flip side you get enough skill points to completely max out the B&W mutations with enough left over to get basically every skill you want for a given build.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I just rebuilt my PS Pro's database in an effort to make my complete edition of the Witcher 3 run better.

It doesn't.

This game just sucks on the PS 4 Pro. Does anyone else experience serious lag in the menus and frame drops most of the time?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lite_sleepr posted:

I just rebuilt my PS Pro's database in an effort to make my complete edition of the Witcher 3 run better.

It doesn't.

This game just sucks on the PS 4 Pro. Does anyone else experience serious lag in the menus and frame drops most of the time?

i played it o nps4 pro a long time ago, i do not remember there being significant performance problems. Sorry i can't help you more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
there were a few areas with bad performance (the pro patch actually made things worse; it ran quite well in boost mode), but it sounds like something's wrong with your PS4.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
That's fine.

I couldn't hope to play TW 3 unmodded anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone watched Nightmare of the Wolf yet?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

Has anyone watched Nightmare of the Wolf yet?

It’s on my to-do list this evening.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
*hollering over shoulder*

"Hey babe, did you remember to put the broken rake, broken oar, a vial, and a rope ladder into the end of cave chest with the iron bands on it?"

"Yea, and I moved the 3 piles of amethyst powder, and the sapphires the size of a mans fist into the burlap sack outside the cave entrance."

lol what is this :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

*hollering over shoulder*

"Hey babe, did you remember to put the broken rake, broken oar, a vial, and a rope ladder into the end of cave chest with the iron bands on it?"

"Yea, and I moved the 3 piles of amethyst powder, and the sapphires the size of a mans fist into the burlap sack outside the cave entrance."

lol what is this :psyduck:

my, the earth is really full of things