Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Katamari Democracy posted:

As someone who works in the medical logistics field. Our Covid kit production and shipment has increased by 650%.

It's about to get really really bad. I work as Quality Management in my department so it's my job to make sure our productions of these kits are 100% accurate and perfect as it was meant to be made. And we are full steam ahead.

Just curious, what does a “Covid kit” consist of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

liz posted:

Just curious, what does a “Covid kit” consist of?

Basically a naval swab, and a prefill with a solution to keep the specimen in.

This is all tied together with an Item number, Lot number, and because its a prefill; an expiration date. Thankfully the contents of the prefill do not expire for years after it is produced so in case if the demand isnt high it can be stored away for later use.

The Covid kits are also the same kits used to test for other certain illness used to determine if the patient has any other illness. In this case the Covid kits perfectly align and can be used as other testing kits.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hard A. During the worst parts of the pandemic before vaccination I didn’t leave my apartment for 6 months straight. Just today I thought about maybe scheduling a dental appointment as it’s been a couple years but decided I didn’t want to risk going into an enclosed space for a couple hours. People in Quebec are acting like the pandemic is over now since vaccination rates are so high, but cases are going up again so I’m getting back into hermit mode.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Honest questions, how does Nate make money?

He seems to just post random bullshit on twitter all day. Is he like a rich failson or something?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ccs posted:

Hard A. During the worst parts of the pandemic before vaccination I didn’t leave my apartment for 6 months straight. Just today I thought about maybe scheduling a dental appointment as it’s been a couple years but decided I didn’t want to risk going into an enclosed space for a couple hours. People in Quebec are acting like the pandemic is over now since vaccination rates are so high, but cases are going up again so I’m getting back into hermit mode.

I'm a hard A too but I have been making my normal dental visits. You really don't want to put that off. Dental health is overall health, it's not just a your teeth. For example I had an abscess under a tooth that was badly infected and it could have spread to my blood so I bit the bullet and went to the dentist to get the tooth pulled last year during the height of the pandemic. And yeah I had massive anxiety the whole time.

Also my dentist is really good about precautions. For example, no one is allowed into the waiting room anymore. People have to wait in their call until they are called in. So maybe check around your local dentists to see who's taking it seriously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Objective Action posted:

He seems to just post random bullshit on twitter all day. Is he like a rich failson or something?

He has a political rag at FiveThirtyEight.com. It’s now owned by Disney.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 6, 2021

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

He has a political rag at ThirtyEight.com. It’s now owned by Disney.

Ah so a well connected idiot then. Thanks, good to know.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Objective Action posted:

FiveThirtyEight was genuinely innovative back in the day when most media election forecasting consisted of some network stooge saying “Well when I was a diner in Cedar Rapids I saw an Al Gore sign across the street, so the Democrats can look forward to 4 more years!” He parlayed doing the barest amount of actual statistical work (and running a shitload of Monte Carlo simulations) into a major deal with the NYTimes. Then when things soured with them he was able to sell to ABC/ESPN/Disney.

He’s a tragic case of buying way too much into your own hype.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just post the long image where Nate is all "Trump won't win lol cmon" to "How could this happen"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Just post the long image where Nate is all "Trump won't win lol cmon" to "How could this happen"

Nate (and FiveThirtyEight) did a lot better than some of the nascent competitors that were around in 2016. Like, Huffington Post said Hillary had a 98.0% chance of winning, and Trump only had a 1.7% chance because there was a 0.3% chance for a tie (also, I'm extremely amused that they still have this page up). Part of the problem is that polling in general has gotten significantly worse over the last decade, in part because people began to care less about the individual polls because of FiveThirtyEight and its imitators. But all these statistical forecasting places rely on those polls. (In fact, I remember listening to a FiveThirtyEight podcast shortly after election day 2020 where one of the reporters laments how bad polling has gotten. Nate chimes in that it doesn't really matter to them, and out of frustration this other reporter shouts at him "Our entire product is built on top of these polls!")

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nah he's a dork

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/rise_alien/status/1423011131841470470?s=20

Edit: (it’s fake)

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 6, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Now that’s an American solution

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I feel real bad for all the kids going back to school right now, and of course for their parents. This whole generation is having to learn at a young age that adults don’t know what the gently caress they’re doing and that no one is actually in charge. A valuable lesson, but what a poo poo way to get it.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

As much as I cheer the first policy, doesn't the 2nd encourage unvaxxed covid people to go to work as long as possible to try and shake the sickness and hope it doesn't get worse?

I do applaud the "yeah, we're done with the antivax poo poo and go be stupid somewhere else "attitude that's surfacing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blitter posted:

Yet again, garbage numbers for people who like good news about bad news.

How about some data from one of the most highly vaxx'd states?

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/nearly-8000-breakthrough-covid-cases-reported-in-mass-100-have-now-died/2456116/

30% of recent cases are breakthroughs

5% require hospitalization but 1. 4% of breakthroughs have died - roughly the same CFR as with wildtype before the vaccines.

To be clear, I'm sure the actual infection rate of the vaccinated is much higher (asymptomatic or mild, and/or not testing) but does that look like a one in 2.5 million CFR? Are there loving 250 million people in Massachusetts?

Has everyone loving failed basic math and reading comprehension?

No one said anything about CFR. The CDC slide deck has a chart showing that the weekly death incidence is 0.04 / 100k vaccinated individuals, which is about 1/2.5M. The uncaccinated rate was 0.96 / 100k, e.g. 24x higher. These numbers were through late July, so pretty recent

These numbers are relevant because nearly 170M Americans have been vaccinated, roughly 80% of adults (18+).

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

that's kind of hosed up but also hell yeah :lmao:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

nearly 170M Americans have been vaccinated*, roughly 80% of adults** (18+).

*With one dose

**If we count persons twelve through seventeen years of age in the numerator but not in the denominator

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

*With one dose

**If we count persons twelve through seventeen years of age in the numerator but not in the denominator

Over 168M adults are fully vaccinated; it's 190M individuals if you include teenagers. But that's beside the point, which is that the ratio of vaccinated to unvaccinated population size is large while the ratio of vaccinated to unvaccinated hospitalizations and deaths is small. That's a good thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know what you’re getting these numbers, but they don’t agree with CDC’s tracker.

You can remove my “With one dose” qualifier because without counting partials, the U.S. is within five million of one hundred and seventy million, but the percentages sure don’t check out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CNN :shrug:

Either way, the exact number does not effect the point. Vaccinated adults far outnumber unvaccinated adults but are showing up at the hospital far less often

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 6, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ben shapino posted:

that's kind of hosed up but also hell yeah :lmao:

guys Lowes official account already replied saying none of that was true lol. This is just a troll.

https://twitter.com/Lowes/status/1423344564178493444

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Womp womp

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

He has a political rag at FiveThirtyEight.com. It’s now owned by Disney.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americas-best-burrito/

That was their high water mark.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd be a B with some A tendencies on that scale. I think the CDC dropping the mask mandate mid-week in mid-June was a massive clusterfuck and significantly contributed to the state we're in now.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd be a B with some A tendencies on that scale. I think the CDC dropping the mask mandate mid-week in mid-June was a massive clusterfuck and significantly contributed to the state we're in now.

but they made everyone PINKIE SWEAR! how were they to know?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

In Florida, we (teachers) were informed yesterday that if we get COVID and can prove that we got it at work, our leave is covered.

If we can't prove that, it's not.

They are literally pushing a policy that encourages teachers to go to school when they have COVID.

This is the worst state in the Union and it's not even close.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LanceHunter posted:

Nate (and FiveThirtyEight) did a lot better than some of the nascent competitors that were around in 2016. Like, Huffington Post said Hillary had a 98.0% chance of winning, and Trump only had a 1.7% chance because there was a 0.3% chance for a tie (also, I'm extremely amused that they still have this page up). Part of the problem is that polling in general has gotten significantly worse over the last decade, in part because people began to care less about the individual polls because of FiveThirtyEight and its imitators. But all these statistical forecasting places rely on those polls. (In fact, I remember listening to a FiveThirtyEight podcast shortly after election day 2020 where one of the reporters laments how bad polling has gotten. Nate chimes in that it doesn't really matter to them, and out of frustration this other reporter shouts at him "Our entire product is built on top of these polls!")

Their model is intentionally underconfident so that they can always say "aha! we only gave that a ~80% chance but it didn't happen. right again!"

Nate's been a hard Group C since early Spring along with a lot of twitter 'intellectuals'.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 6, 2021

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

basically an A. like i still do a lot more than i did before i was vaxed, but generally speaking yes i think it's a simple fact at this point that states lifted restrictions far too soon.

also my boyfriend's work is finally making them all mask up again, which i was hoping they would do for the past month so i'm pretty relieved

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

A good policy altogether, but might just drive some edge cases to forge a CDC vax card and be done with it.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

JonathonSpectre posted:

In Florida, we (teachers) were informed yesterday that if we get COVID and can prove that we got it at work, our leave is covered.

If we can't prove that, it's not.

They are literally pushing a policy that encourages teachers to go to school when they have COVID.

This is the worst state in the Union and it's not even close.

Remember when Floridians were all worried about New Yorkers moving to their state because they'd make Florida blue? Lol turns out all the New Yorkers that fled New York were chuds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blooster posted:

Remember when Floridians were all worried about New Yorkers moving to their state because they'd make Florida blue? Lol turns out all the New Yorkers that fled New York were chuds.

New York is a cool rear end place
New York has a constant flood of people to Florida
New York remains a cool rear end place

QED the people who come from New York to Florida are not what makes New York cool.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Okay, this is only my second post in this thread. I'm not sure why it has a 2 star rating and I don't really want to know. Anyway, as a left-leaning guy in N. Ireland I don't really trust the BBC very much. But they did do this interesting article:
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-57928647?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

The short story;

Two youtubers blew the whistle when they received offers to spread disinformation about high death rates among recipients of the astra-zeneca vaccine. These offers came from some mysterious backers that were eventually tracked back to AdNow, a company that has offices in both the UK and Russia. It was eventually tracked to a guy called Stanislav Fesenko. Google doesn't really have a lot of details on him.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Get ready for a third shot!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-covid-19-vaccine-booster-plan-could-be-ready-within-weeks-11628194767?mod=latest_headlines

Masks should never have come off.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1423652583382691840?s=20

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Quebec sounds like they are going to roll out a vaccine passport really quick. Will be interesting to see what Ontario does. BC, my city in particular, is full of tourists right now because the rest of the province is on fire. Luckily we have a very high double vax population but it's very busy and all the new cases are Delta variant lol.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

but they made everyone PINKIE SWEAR! how were they to know?

I mis-typed the CDC clusterfuck as happening mid-week in mid-June - it was mid-week in mid-May. I was aghast at the time, and feeling vindicated by how much worse things got after that is cold comfort.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

CNN has a "zero tolerance" policy and fires employees for coming to work unvaccinated: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/08/05/1025319741/cnn-fires-three-employees-work-unvaccinated

Almost certainly an incoming shitshow of lawsuits and lies, though...

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

Quebec sounds like they are going to roll out a vaccine passport really quick. Will be interesting to see what Ontario does. BC, my city in particular, is full of tourists right now because the rest of the province is on fire. Luckily we have a very high double vax population but it's very busy and all the new cases are Delta variant lol.

Are enough in Kelowna or Whistler? Kelowna needs to get their poo poo together and make young people in restaurants get the shot. Whistler literally has 50 people who are not vaccinated, pretty amazing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Purgatory Glory posted:

Are enough in Kelowna or Whistler? Kelowna needs to get their poo poo together and make young people in restaurants get the shot. Whistler literally has 50 people who are not vaccinated, pretty amazing.
My brother works in Whistler and he got his double vax a long time ago. All the rules are such a joke though and our Govt of BC is constantly doing dumb things not limited to Covid. For instance we have practically lifted the mask ban even though there's a big chunk of the population, the people who do things ie 20 year olds, who are only this week getting their second shot but the mask is now on the honor system. BC's response has been so weird it comes down to sheer luck and population density that we didn't get bad outbreak. But everyone loves Bonnie Henry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

CNN has a "zero tolerance" policy and fires employees for coming to work unvaccinated: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/08/05/1025319741/cnn-fires-three-employees-work-unvaccinated

Almost certainly an incoming shitshow of lawsuits and lies, though...

I heard they had them executed on the spot, but you won't hear that in the main stream media