Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

Flashbacks to when my organization pushed out MS Sharepoint as our universal file-sharing platform, and it wouldn't let me share any of my files with 16-digit barcodes (i.e., all of my files) because it mistook them for credit card numbers. Everything got a "FLAGGED FOR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION" warning and was inaccessible for a few weeks until IT could put me on some kind of whitelist.

Some higherup must have uploaded his cc at some point for that to be a feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's a guy at work who will honestly ask you a question, but after every little bit of your answer he'll say, "Uh-huh, yep, mm-hmm" and I get that he's trying to look attentive but it's really distracting and just comes off like he doesn't care what your answer is and just wants you to stop talking as fast as possible.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Gort posted:

There's a guy at work who will honestly ask you a question, but after every little bit of your answer he'll say, "Uh-huh, yep, mm-hmm" and I get that he's trying to look attentive but it's really distracting and just comes off like he doesn't care what your answer is and just wants you to stop talking as fast as possible.

Like this?

https://youtu.be/kyAH_QwLFwI

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

cisneros posted:

Some higherup must have uploaded his cc at some point for that to be a feature

Had a dev (who we fired for being almost criminally useless at his job) hard-code his credit card details - well an account with his credit card details - in an SMS gateway feature we added, the last thing he did before he was fired even. And then I went and tested it and it didn't work because he'd made the messages all too long and when I fixed that and sent out a load of test messages (way more than the 10 free test messages or w/e the gateway gave you) I think he learned why not to do that. And then I learned that he'd hard-coded the account while investigating why it had stopped working.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The day that show went off Netflix was such a bummer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who just silently spectate you while you're playing a game.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is it okay to loudly spectate? Because that's me

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Brawnfire posted:

Is it okay to loudly spectate? Because that's me

Any interaction is better than just silently watching me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

'comfy' is fine for describing your favourite sweater or something but jfc I hate any usage of the word 'uncomfy' especially when it's like 'I know discussion about social issues might make some people uncomfy,'

Please talk like an adult

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who just silently spectate you while you're playing a game.

You can avoid this by being so bad at the game that it’s physically painful to watch!

:negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Any interaction is better than just silently watching me.

Not really, try playing a game when your roommate wants to rant about how much of a bitch her sister is for the millionth time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There are 0 situations where interacting with a roommate is good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

'comfy' is fine for describing your favourite sweater or something but jfc I hate any usage of the word 'uncomfy' especially when it's like 'I know discussion about social issues might make some people uncomfy,'

Please talk like an adult

Spitting uncomfy truths up in here

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
peeve: it's the opposite of "adult" to complain about slang. half the forums are angry olds who hate basic rear end words like "cringe" and "based" and apparently "comfy"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Throwing shade at the salty

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

peeve: it's the opposite of "adult" to complain about slang. half the forums are angry olds who hate basic rear end words like "cringe" and "based" and apparently "comfy"

There's slang and then there's baby talk imo

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Did we not just have this same loving conversation? Am I having a dementia moment or something?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, it just indicates to me a gap in someone's social intelligence. Like, do you speak to your friends the same way you speak to your boss or something?

Killingyouguy! posted:

There's slang and then there's baby talk imo

Look, sure, but I feel most socially functional people are aware enough of their own context/age/subcultural cues and the same in others to apply lexicons appropriately. There's stuff I'd use online I'd never use in face to face interaction and again stuff I'd use with friends I'd never use in a team meeting.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Aug 4, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bae 🤩

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Holy poo poo. Exactly that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When people get onto a highway on ramp in front of you and don’t go above 30-40mph, even as they drive on the highway,so merging onto the highway gets a lot more annoying to do when everyone is speeding past.

I also recently had someone stop and put in a blinker to merge onto a highway from an on ramp, which just baffled me.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Device: Oh this super quiet tower fan has ultra low noise on the low speed settings! It also has night/sleep modes and super-silent operation, for almost noiseless fan whirring.

However if you touch a single button to change the setting, mode, or speed, every press is accompanied with a loud banshee wail of a beep, every single time you press a button.

loving hell, why are some companies so bad at including a function that lets you mute the sounds?
It's paradoxical to set a fan to sleep/silent, but have it accompanied by a beep that just cuts through your ears.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And blue LEDs on everything, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I have the quietest computer I've ever had and the loudest keyboard I've ever had, modern computing is great

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FFT posted:

And blue LEDs on everything, too.
I had to replace the controllers on our heated mattress pad (puppy chewed through the cables :mad:) and took the opportunity to replace the one on my side of the bed with an analog version so it wouldn't be lit up red and blue in the middle of the night. Yes, even when off.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

People using the word "toxic" for things they just dislike. Don't diminish what it means.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dip Viscous posted:

People using the word "toxic" for things they just dislike. Don't diminish what it means.

Agreed. It’s toxic behavior.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My internet has been going in and out all day and I can't figure out why

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

My internet has been going in and out all day and I can't figure out why

sounds pretty toxic of it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"mind maps" as a way of conveying information. like with the balloons with lines between them

the balloons usually are too small to contain detailed information except dumb words like CONTENT or COMMUNICATION or something that dont tell you anything, the connections are vague and meaningless and the overall impression is just chaos when they're meant as organizers somehow. just write a linear text

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

"mind maps" as a way of conveying information. like with the balloons with lines between them

the balloons usually are too small to contain detailed information except dumb words like CONTENT or COMMUNICATION or something that dont tell you anything, the connections are vague and meaningless and the overall impression is just chaos when they're meant as organizers somehow. just write a linear text

Mind maps and any similar exercises involving coloured pens and post-its and flip charts are basically grifts that the most mediocre people you can imagine somehow turn into careers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Mind maps and any similar exercises involving coloured pens and post-its and flip charts are basically grifts that the most mediocre people you can imagine somehow turn into careers.

yeah just look at this crap from a teaching theory textbook:

it looks like that elder scroll you steal for the thieves guild in oblivion

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why the gently caress did we not all go into marketing for a career

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Because we have souls?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I literally can't keep up the act that long. Eventually I get depressed and just admit everything I have to offer is basically worthless, which hasn't been great

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

FFT posted:

Related, I have absolutely taken all the steps to prevent Windows 10 from restarting on its own.

It still does it about once a week, even when I've got a notepad.exe open with unsaved text in it specifically to halt restarts.

gently caress yooooooouuuuuuuu

If this is a windows update thing there's a really easy way to break that.

Create a Ramdisk assigned to B:\
I use ImDisk but any ramdisk tool should work. I think a physical disk assigned to B:\ would as well but that'd be more annoying to turn off when you do want to update.

For some reason that completely breaks windows update and makes it really easy to manage your update schedule manually. Any time I want to update I just have to disable the ramdisk. And bam it suddenly works again.

I had no idea, for the longest time, why windows update had ceased working. It gave me different error codes each time and most of them went nowhere. I had taken to manually installing updates from the knowledgebase every so often. Eventually one of the error codes lead me to a decades old post about how having a drive assigned to B:\ breaks Windows update and sure enough that was it. I only used B:\ cuz I figured, well, physical disks seem to like starting at C and counting up from there, I still associate A:\ with floppies even though I'm never using them any more, never used B:\ for anything so might as well!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

B: is the 5.25" drive, come on man.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spek posted:

I had no idea, for the longest time, why windows update had ceased working. It gave me different error codes each time and most of them went nowhere. I had taken to manually installing updates from the knowledgebase every so often. Eventually one of the error codes lead me to a decades old post about how having a drive assigned to B:\ breaks Windows update and sure enough that was it. I only used B:\ cuz I figured, well, physical disks seem to like starting at C and counting up from there, I still associate A:\ with floppies even though I'm never using them any more, never used B:\ for anything so might as well!
Maybe because, if you only had one floppy drive, it would be A: and B: would only be used for a second floppy drive, so something gets messed up if you've got a B: but not an A:? Complete wild guess, but... maybe see if it still happens if you have another ramdisk assigned to A: at the same time?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
your grocery store cashier is not your loving bank. if you get a hundred dollars cash back and i give you a hundred dollar bill you loving take it and get the gently caress out. don't you loving argue with me and tell me "no" because you want a loving bespoke assortment of tens and twenties and don't you loving DARE try to loving TOUCH MY DRAWER TO CHECK WHETHER I AM LYING TO YOU ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT I HAVE SUFFICIENT TWENTIES TO FULFILL YOUR REQUEST. loving THREE PEOPLE have pulled this poo poo on me JUST TODAY and I've only been here for two loving hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InediblePenguin posted:

don't you loving DARE try to loving TOUCH MY DRAWER TO CHECK WHETHER I AM LYING TO YOU ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT I HAVE SUFFICIENT TWENTIES TO FULFILL YOUR REQUEST.

That sounds like attempted robbery to me.