Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bastard PO buried a bunch of smashed glass near the slab. Thought I’d got it all but sliced my finger open on a buried piece, straight through my new gloves.

I’m urgent care for sutures but should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Well that's annoying. Get well soon JB.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
“Let’s them bastards try to steal me concrete slab now,” as the PO cackles into a throaty cough.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

At least you did not lose entire fingat

That's a bummer though :argh: PO :argh:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Steri strips and a tetanus booster, gotta go easy on it for a week.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

For fucks sake PO. Hope there's no lasting effects JB.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm starting to worry there's some ancient horror buried under there. Watch out for curses and suspicious people in old robes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

I'm starting to worry there's some ancient horror buried under there. Watch out for curses and suspicious people in old robes.

I was honestly starting to look for bones. Maybe I got too close.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bought a cheap 4ft wrecker bar and was able to pull out the remaining edge pieces using some wood for a pivot with no further loss of fingers.

Also works pretty well for pulling up the paving slabs so I'll likely keep doing that.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was honestly starting to look for bones. Maybe I got too close.
Fun story: I broke up a bunch of concrete not long after I moved into my place, and there was a lot of bones. I still find them in the garden nearly a decade on. I do my best not to overthink it too much.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Bones embedded in the concrete? :staredog:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

do you own all the equipment you are using or did you borrow some of it? like this stuff

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I own all of it. I'm fortunate to have money to spare.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I really like that RUB rack, did that come as a set?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I really like that RUB rack, did that come as a set?

It's modular. You buy each slot individually based on the boxes you want to put in, and then they clip together. You then buy a top piece for however wide your rack is and wheels for the bottom.

It's easy and quick but not very rigid, Perhaps better for something half the height and/or lighter contents. As it is I have zip ties holding the columns together, and it's sat on a sheet of OSB with screwed on castors rather than the small ones it came with (which snapped).

The curse of structural plastic.

https://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/really-useful-storage-towers-c102x2076713?page=2

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 1, 2021

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Bones embedded in the concrete? :staredog:

Under the concrete. I like to think it might’ve been a rubbish put for his dog’s leftovers but… 🤷‍♂️

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today's goal, clear all this:

Dug out and broken up.

Cleared.

I'll leave the small stuff either as drainage or the landscapers can use it.

Skip is nearly full, but tomorrow's goal is to clear all remaining bricks, including a bunch that were used as a pad for the greenhouse.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today's goal was to clear what I thought was a brick pad under this area.

Turns out it was only lined with brick, the main body of the pad is broken and mismatched pavers.

In theory this makes it easier to dig up, but I decided I was done with this anyway. I've done more than enough clearance to give me room to work and I've made good use of the skip, so I'm happy enough. I'll move the rest to the side and start on digging out the foundations shortly. The landscapers can do the rest, when it comes to it.

The underlay arrived, so I'll get started on some of the flooring soon. Still trying to get a quote out of my carpet guy for supply and fitting in the main bedroom.

Took the pallet from that and a couple of others I had lying around, laid them out as a staging area for construction materials, though now I look at it I may have to move it along, it might be overlapping the dig site a bit.

I'll get all that on order when I have a green light from the council.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"Did you load this or was it the builders?", asked the skip guy, moving around chunks of concrete above signs clearly marked LEVEL LOADS ONLY. "We need them level loads so we can stack them, you see".
"Yeah it was the builders", I lied cowardly, "I'll get them to do better next time, sorry".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The joist designer needed a drawing of the roof detail, so that's what I did this afternoon.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bought some cheap engineered oak flooring for the guest bedroom. Cost about £220 delivered for an 8sqm room.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Nice

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Spoke again with the joist manufacturer. Apparently a bunch of their bigger jobs have been pushed back due to the customers being unable to source bricks! So 5 weeks lead time has become 2 weeks. Just waiting on the council..

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Spoke again with the joist manufacturer. Apparently a bunch of their bigger jobs have been pushed back due to the customers being unable to source bricks! So 5 weeks lead time has become 2 weeks. Just waiting on the council..

Too bad you threw all those dug up bricks away, sounds like there's a market for them!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tangy yet delightful posted:

Too bad you threw all those dug up bricks away, sounds like there's a market for them!
:perfect:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a good gag but I only got rid of a handful. The real prize would've been reselling the "reclaimed" bricks from when I tore the house apart.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's a good gag but I only got rid of a handful. The real prize would've been reselling the "reclaimed" bricks from when I tore the house apart.

What kind of joists are you using that need manufacturing? Steel trusses or LVLs or those OSB things? At least for a minute here light steel trusses were cheaper than lumber joists.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What kind of joists are you using that need manufacturing? Steel trusses or LVLs or those OSB things? At least for a minute here light steel trusses were cheaper than lumber joists.

The particular ones I'm going for are called "easi-joists", which are normal slim timber joined by metal webs. Delivered they're going to be cheaper than the equivalent sawn timber would be, if I could get it, which I can't. 5m open span is right up at the limit for that size of sawn joist, but the engineered ones do an easy 22m if needed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’d like to get some stuff done outside but it won’t stop loving raining.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bathroom fan broke. Replaced it, slightly sloppily, but good enough.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’d like to get some stuff done outside but it won’t stop loving raining.

I'll trade you rain for heat and smoke.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

I'll trade you rain for heat and smoke.

I'll take the heat and also trade you wind, that should fix your smoke.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Finally, a clear day. Prepped for digging.

Materials storage space moved.

Timber and junk moved out of the way of the soil dump.

Digging area cleared.

Tomorrow I can set up the laser level and start digging.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Laser level screwed to the fence at a known height from datum (bottom of gravel board), depth stick with reflector set at laser height plus desired depth (330mm; 150mm clearance plus 150mm for 2x6 joists plus 30mm for flooring).

Dig hole.

Check hole. (sorry about focus)

Continue dig hole.

I've also been talking to the joist manufacturers to get a final quote, we're nearly done with that.

Also, the flooring for the guest bedroom arrived today. A day late, but, couriers.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 12, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can finally earn your PhD!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can finally earn your PhD!

idgi

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Posthole Digger

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Man that one must have the apprentices doubled over.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Man that one must have the apprentices doubled over.
Brings them to tears every time.

You have really wonderful looking black dirt-don't let the landscapers run off with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's even richer looking in person. Lovely stuff.