Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Blair comparisons shall continue until morale rises.

Edit: 283. The number of seats Labour will lose in the next election.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer is MI5

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

He's too incompetent, even for MI5

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Camrath posted:

New Fudge Released!
Aw, dammit. *orders*

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I read this absolute piece of poo poo article on the BBC earlier, and it was so awful, I felt I had to share it with you.
It's their bit on the August 2011 riots. It includes excerpts from people rioters interviewed for the 'Reading the Riots' project and the BBC's own research, where they interviewed the filth on how scary it had been for them.

This is one of the worst things I've read on the BBC for a long time. Basically every person rioter they quote after the first day or so talks about how excited they were to be making money; and every member of the filth talks about how scary it was to have to face people throwing bottles and petrol bombs.
There's barely any effort made to show that the people rioters were utterly sick of being treated as sub-human by the same people demigods the BBC are busy lionising; when the Reading the Riots report quotes extensively from people who knew what cunts the police can be:

quote:

One 17-year old Muslim in full-time work in Tottenham recalled being stopped by police on his way to school at the age of 13: “One of them said: ‘Mate, why don’t you ask him where Saddam is. He might be able to help out’

Even the section that summarises Mark Duggan's death barely touches the breadth of the police incompetence/malice, simply noting that the IPCC did a whoopsie about how they communicated details.

It's a running theme of the actual report that people who got involved in the rioting and subsequent looting did so out of frustration or anger at the systemic issues in society, and the BBC basically characterise it all as "they wanted free stuff, innit?"

Utterly rage-inducing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

learnincurve posted:

I had my Tory mother blame :alarm: the last Labour government :alarm: for the removal of BTECs yesterday. It’s all Blair’s fault and my fault for voting Labour that my kid is about to get hosed over for about £12k “Um I never voted for Blair, I was too young in 1997 for a start” “oh well I don’t want to talk about this”

I can't even get my head around how a government last in power 11 years ago can be remotely blamed for removing a qualification so many years later!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm afraid there are no btecs

Kind regards, and good luck!

Ed Balls

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Barry Foster posted:

I felt that way a bit at the start of the pandemic. It was all pretty exciting to be living through an actual Event! Novelty has long since worn off by now of course, and I'm bleakly amused by my younger self's naivety. I suspect living post collapse will look more like the end of Threads than Kevin Costner's Waterworld, although even that's still making the mistake of thinking life is anything like the telly

I remember last Spring just sitting by my flat window listening to that coffin dance song and looking at the world outside just vibing with the feeling of being trapped along with everyone else. I'd never felt so connected to everyone while being so completely alone.

Now I'm just a dull shut-in the same as I was in 2019.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1423694545372553220

In other Glinner news, apparently he's now on about how Chris-chan's biggest problem is being transgender.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Awesome work. :)

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Camrath posted:

New Fudge Released!

It's been a busy summer here at Fudjit Towers, and between maintaining supplies of all our usual flavours I gifted myself a bit of time to do some experimentation and try new things out. I took a theme of 'Childhood treats' for three of the new flavours, as well as producing a fourth that has been kicking around in my head for a while now.

I'm absolutely stoked with the results. I hope you guys will be too!

Brand new flavours this time are:

Whamageddon - This is our home-made take on the Wham Bar, that super-sticky tangy tooth destroyer that I had an unfortunate addiction to as a child. Mixed berry fudge surrounds crunchy, tangy Nerds, with the fudge cooked a little longer and with a slightly higher mouisture level to give the trademark chew. Frankly I need this all taken off my hands before I consume it myself.

Strawberry Milkshake - It's sweet, creamy, lurid pink and tastes like a solid block of strawberry milkshake. Decorated with pink glimmer sugar, because why not lean into it?

Jelly Beanz (Up the Backside) - An old favourite returns for the first time this year, with a reworked recipe. Dairy fudge surrounding mixed-fruit flavoured jelly beans for a mix of creamy, tart, softness and chewiness.

Mead - It was requested, it's happened at long last! Made in partnership with Troll's Bottom Brewery, using their superb full-bodied 'Wenches' mead, this is a complex and adult flavour with notes of honey and smokey undertones.

In addition to the new flavours we also have the following in stock:

Love-Or-Hate - Our infamous and delicious Marmite Fudge
Peanut Butter Crunch
Lemon Meringue Pie
Bakewell Tart
Chocolate and Chilli
Original Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Chocolate Orange
Unicorn Barf
Veganilla
Vegan Biscoff
Vegan Cookie

All stock is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk at £3.50 per 100g(ish) block- Paypal and credit/debit cards accepted

As always, use the goon special code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4.

Get Fudged!

Oh come on, don't make me order more fudge! Gotta try that mead...
I'm going away next week (finally seeing family for the 1st time since Christmas '19) so I'm praying you'll still have stock when I come back.

Highly recommend the bakewell tart for all you fudjites that haven't tried it

Deketh fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 6, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1423694545372553220

In other Glinner news, apparently he's now on about how Chris-chan's biggest problem is being transgender.

So why has Chris-chan suddenly resurfaced in Internet conversation? I'd look it up myself, but pretty much all the most knowledgeable sources on the subject are absolutely vile people.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Darth Walrus posted:

So why has Chris-chan suddenly resurfaced in Internet conversation? I'd look it up myself, but pretty much all the most knowledgeable sources on the subject are absolutely vile people.

I don't really know who this person is but a quick google says they just got thrown in prison for incest, so that's fun

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Shyrka posted:

I remember last Spring just sitting by my flat window listening to that coffin dance song and looking at the world outside just vibing with the feeling of being trapped along with everyone else. I'd never felt so connected to everyone while being so completely alone.

Now I'm just a dull shut-in the same as I was in 2019.

Exactly! There were a few fleeting months where everyone was scared enough, uncertain enough, that it actually felt, for a moment, like being part of some sort of society. Everyone was on the same page.

Then the capitalists and the conspiracy theorists and the antivaxxers and the liberals and the fascists got their poo poo together and started banging the drum and now everything is as it was but even shittier.

But it was a time of monsters, and for just a moment it felt like something new might be born.

Bitter lols

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, just don't go there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Camrath posted:

New Fudge Released!

All stock is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk at £3.50 per 100g(ish) block- Paypal and credit/debit cards accepted

As always, use the goon special code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4.

Get Fudged!

Order placed! The website would not let me order more than one block of a flavour but at least this has forced me to diversify my fudge portfolio.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

HopperUK posted:

Order placed! The website would not let me order more than one block of a flavour but at least this has forced me to diversify my fudge portfolio.

If you’re who I think you are, you took the last stock of several flavours, hence the restriction :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I gather she was arrested for sexually assaulting her mother it's pretty hosed up. And of course being one of the only people on the planet for whom gang stalking is a literal real thing, definitely is not a contributing factor to that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Camrath posted:

If you’re who I think you are, you took the last stock of several flavours, hence the restriction :)

Hahaha I'm a robber :)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

I gather she was arrested for sexually assaulting her mother it's pretty hosed up. And of course being one of the only people on the planet for whom gang stalking is a literal real thing, definitely is not a contributing factor to that.

I think that probably understates what’s happened, she has been regularly sexually assaulting her dementia-ridden mother and has described the acts in great detail.

I was aware of Chris Chan being a thing back around 2008-2010 but didn’t realise there was a dedicated community focused on trolling the hell out of her over the years since. There’s so many ways all this could have been avoided.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Flags!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/06/uk-government-spends-union-flags-two-years-boris-johnson

quote:

UK government spends more than £163,000 on union flags in two years
Purchases have increased across departments, revealing embrace of the flag under Boris Johnson

Spending on union flags has increased in virtually every government department since Johnson entered Downing Street, with more than £163,000 spent this year and last. It accounts for 85% of union flag purchases over the past four years.

:britain: :britain:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Ludikrous posted:

There’s so many ways all this could have been avoided.
I tried traveling back in time to 1954 to assassinate Edwin Armstrong and Alan Turing before they could invent the internet, but it turns out that someone else just does it a bit later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Certainly makes you wish for the big asteroid.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Certainly makes you wish for the big asteroid.

Too quick.
I want us to suffer.
All the SCPs in reverse order from highest to lowest.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

For Bobby or anyone else who gets the feels about gender stuff, don't worry about not being 'trans enough' to reach out to other trans people. I still don't know that I'm *really* trans as opposed to just trying to escape misogyny, I just know that I feel more comfortable in my skin now I live as a man. You are just as much a valid part of the trans community when you are still trying to work out your identity as when you've been living it for 40 years.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

They could have saved so much money if they had cut the flags off of Tesco fruit & veg packets..... if we still had packets of fruit & veg. ;)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I tried traveling back in time to 1954 to assassinate Edwin Armstrong and Alan Turing before they could invent the internet, but it turns out that someone else just does it a bit later.

Well given Tommy Flowers is actually the person who deserves by far the majority of the credit/blame for both modern computers *and* modern telecommunications, it's no surprise.

While Turing did do most of the theoretical and some of the design for Colossus, Flowers was the man who took those ideas and actually made them work, begging, borrowing and stealing many components from his day job at the GPO and even resorting to just buying components out of his own pocket because nobody - even Turing - believed that the design could be made to work before the end of the war and wanted Flowers to continue to improve Heath Robinson, the much simpler electromechanical design for attacking Lorenz cipher traffic. His reward for proving them all wrong and completing the world's first programmable computer, was a small honorarium *that didn't even cover his own out of pocket expenses* and got a bollocking from the GPO who wanted to know where all the valves at Dollis Hill had gone.

Flowers then returned to Dollis Hill where he invented the automatic telephone exchange and did a huge amount of theoretical and practical work on packet switching and data compression, before moving on to STC where he actually implemented these ideas (the GPO still being reluctant to go ahead with them because of course he couldn't explain that he'd already solved all of the technical problems at Bletchley) retiring only when transistor technology had caught up with his theories and he could see them put to use (the first workable PCM compression system for voice traffic, and the first packet-switched telephone exchange were both used on TAT-2, the second transatlantic telephone cable, and both were based on his post-war work) - he also gave the go-ahead for a project that became the first workable fiber-optic cable.

Now... I'm not saying that there's a degree of snobbery involved in the upper-class Cambridge academic ending up on the £50 note and the working-class boy from Poplar who did all the actual work getting a driveway in North London named after him, but it's *really* striking just how little credit Flowers gets for his contribution to both the war and the peace afterwards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His son did well fronting for the killers though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well given Tommy Flowers is actually the person who deserves by far the majority of the credit/blame for both modern computers *and* modern telecommunications, it's no surprise.

While Turing did do most of the theoretical and some of the design for Colossus, Flowers was the man who took those ideas and actually made them work, begging, borrowing and stealing many components from his day job at the GPO and even resorting to just buying components out of his own pocket because nobody - even Turing - believed that the design could be made to work before the end of the war and wanted Flowers to continue to improve Heath Robinson, the much simpler electromechanical design for attacking Lorenz cipher traffic. His reward for proving them all wrong and completing the world's first programmable computer, was a small honorarium *that didn't even cover his own out of pocket expenses* and got a bollocking from the GPO who wanted to know where all the valves at Dollis Hill had gone.

Flowers then returned to Dollis Hill where he invented the automatic telephone exchange and did a huge amount of theoretical and practical work on packet switching and data compression, before moving on to STC where he actually implemented these ideas (the GPO still being reluctant to go ahead with them because of course he couldn't explain that he'd already solved all of the technical problems at Bletchley) retiring only when transistor technology had caught up with his theories and he could see them put to use (the first workable PCM compression system for voice traffic, and the first packet-switched telephone exchange were both used on TAT-2, the second transatlantic telephone cable, and both were based on his post-war work) - he also gave the go-ahead for a project that became the first workable fiber-optic cable.

Now... I'm not saying that there's a degree of snobbery involved in the upper-class Cambridge academic ending up on the £50 note and the working-class boy from Poplar who did all the actual work getting a driveway in North London named after him, but it's *really* striking just how little credit Flowers gets for his contribution to both the war and the peace afterwards.

Yeah, but Turing never got a Camper Van Beethoven song* written about him, so I guess Flowers came out the winner

* - It's a good song, but it isn't on Youtube, and I can't be bothered finding it elsewhere

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm afraid there are no btecs

Kind regards, and good luck!

Ed Balls

Being honest it was a funny note that showed his heart was in the right place.

That was an age of the Tories eternally banging on about DEBT remember, that and "gordon brown sold all the pounds".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is Ed Balls related to Penis Balls?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

1p is stored in the ed balls.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
debt is stored in Ed Balls

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 6, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm really cynical about the media but when they tell me about other countries it's different I guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:same:
I trust ALJ a certain amount, but I don't trust them about the Arabian Peninsula or especially Qatar.

Guess I'm the idiot and I should have been doing it the other way around.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Barry Foster posted:

Exactly! There were a few fleeting months where everyone was scared enough, uncertain enough, that it actually felt, for a moment, like being part of some sort of society. Everyone was on the same page.

Then the capitalists and the conspiracy theorists and the antivaxxers and the liberals and the fascists got their poo poo together and started banging the drum and now everything is as it was but even shittier.

But it was a time of monsters, and for just a moment it felt like something new might be born.

Bitter lols

Oh it wasn't a drum.

https://twitter.com/willuminare/status/1256000148368474118

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
All time Normal Island moment, absolutely top tier

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did they beat the bin slowly did they sell them off wholly,
did they sound the death march as they Brexited out
did the band perform God Save The Queen now,
has the Co-Op run out of fresh greens, and how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile in north London:

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1423737433875701763