Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

eSporks posted:

Whats the advantage to swiftkey? Like, why should I switch?

Cursor keys, it doesn't delete the entire word if you backspace to fix something like changing "now" to "notes," and the predictive engine seems a little better. It seems to read my swiping better than Gboard, and correcting mistakes is less of a pain in the rear end. Having cursor keys to navigate through text is a huge improvement over trying to stab my finger in just the right place, only to miss or have the whole word highlighted and asking me if I want to cut, copy, or paste.

I'm still getting used to it, but so far it looks promising. Gboard was a compromise for me once I realized Swype was abandonware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Gboard (and I assume other keyboards) use the space bar as cursor keys to scroll back and forth. I have no idea when or how I found this out but it was life changing for me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Gboard (and I assume other keyboards) use the space bar as cursor keys to scroll back and forth. I have no idea when or how I found this out but it was life changing for me.

In theory. I found that functionality in Gboard to be unreliable at best, and it only allowed forward and back movement when it did actually work.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
When swiping to type, is there one that actually pays attention to what your finger travels over, instead of using a bullshit crowdsourced algorithm that includes words with letters your finger never went near (or even more damning, and I'm looking at YOU, gboard), even started on?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Idk maybe it's because I'm out in the sandhills but this looks like poo poo compared to the actual sky

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

When swiping to type, is there one that actually pays attention to what your finger travels over, instead of using a bullshit crowdsourced algorithm that includes words with letters your finger never went near (or even more damning, and I'm looking at YOU, gboard), even started on?

Swype used to be really good at this. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just switched to Swiftkey from Gboard and am liking it so far, but am having to adjust to the differences between them. Once I deprogram myself from Gboard habits it seems like Swiftkey will be better.

I used Swype for years, and it was great, but then I noticed it was loving up prediction more and more, and getting worse and worse over time. Then I looked into it a little further and it had been abandoned and unmaintained for like 2 years at that point, which likely explains why it went to to hell.

Swype at its peak was way ahead of every other keyboard and I too only stopped using it after it became untenable. I still miss the shortcuts to do things like capitalize and add 's or n't to existing words.

The best thing about Swype was simply having more than a handful of suggestions. If you were off it was more likely to be in the bar of six suggestions rather than the three Gboard shows.

All of that said, I've found Gboard to be both more consistent and better for at least a year and maybe longer that it was prior to that. SwiftKey I tried several times pre-Microsoft purchase and always found it vastly inferior to Swype and Gboard.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 6, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Artelier posted:

I personally like to use Fleksy which has a pretty good "smart" dictionary that's very easy to add/remove words from, and you can customise the design and a bit of the layout

I'd love to go back to fleksy but it doesn't support the modern autofill API which means 1password is useless when using it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Like, what's the loving point of gboard putting borders around each letter if it isn't even going to respect them for word suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Like, what's the loving point of gboard putting borders around each letter if it isn't even going to respect them for word suggestions?

Purely aesthetic and defaults to no borders.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does Swiftkey still refuse to put a voice-typing key in an easy-to-access spot? That's always been my biggest gripe with it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i still have Swype installed

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does Swiftkey still refuse to put a voice-typing key in an easy-to-access spot? That's always been my biggest gripe with it.

Long press the comma.

I started using SwiftKey when it was the best text prediction in town. Not sure how much it matters anymore with their neural network, but it has ten years of me training it behind it and works well for me. It also seems to quickly start recommending new words based on current events.

But for me it's the UI that I'm really used to and have a hard time with any other keyboard. If Gboard works for you, I wouldn't push to change it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Looks like you can add a quick button for voice chat now. Just hit the ... to get to all the bar functions, scroll down and reorder.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why cant all dark modes give us cold black instead of this gray poo poo. I hate it

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Well, I went ahead a bit the bullet on the Surface Duo. Besides some sluggishness, most of the criticism of it seems to be related to the price and the fact that it kind of sucks as a phone but it seems like a solid pocket tablet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

But for me it's the UI that I'm really used to and have a hard time with any other keyboard. If Gboard works for you, I wouldn't push to change it.

I like gboard for no other reason than gif search.

Too bad Tenorgifs has a really loving lovely search algorithm :byodood:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

codo27 posted:

Why cant all dark modes give us cold black instead of this gray poo poo. I hate it

They have a full black; i like the grey. :c00lbert:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Well, I went ahead a bit the bullet on the Surface Duo. Besides some sluggishness, most of the criticism of it seems to be related to the price and the fact that it kind of sucks as a phone but it seems like a solid pocket tablet.

Meh, and each display on its own is less than an inch wider than a Pixel 5. Just a bit compromised no matter what you try to do with it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

codo27 posted:

Black.

All black. :smug:

When doing dark themes, I like grays as there's less contrast with pure white and it feels "darker" as a result. Though black with light gray lettering may also be kinda nice.

Edit: SwiftKey let's you upload your own images to use as a keyboard background, so you can make it as awful as you'd like.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 6, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sourdough posted:

Meh, and each display on its own is less than an inch wider than a Pixel 5. Just a bit compromised no matter what you try to do with it.

S A M S U G

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SwiftKey also has solid multilingual switching and predicting if that's your thing; you can swipe on the keyboard to change layouts if it's a radically different one. The predictions also are smart per language (the vietnamese one has more predictions at once than for English even).

Still miss my windows phone keyboard :smith:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

i still have Swype installed

:negative:

Hey fellow Swype still-user.

I still have Swype installed because I swipe in two languages and the experience of having predictions in both languages without having to manually switch is still better on Swype than on anything else I've tried so far.

Granted, I haven't used Swiftkey in literally years, so if their multi-language algorithm and swiping has improved, I'm willing to give that another try.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Swype was discontinued in February 2018, and in my experience it became unusable after a couple Android updates. I'm surprised the people still running it find it tolerable, but maybe your phones/use-cases work around it being unsupported.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Samslug. Singsong my buddy calls them

I nearly bought a blackberry 9700 in 2010 when I was ditching my LG rumor at the time. Guy talked me into the i9000 and I never looked back. It came with Swype preinstalled and to this day I've never learned to type with anything besides my thumb. I'll latch on to airdroid or Your Phone these days and do my texting and such from a computer. gently caress typing on phones.

Then there were those few months on Windows phone when I had the Lumia 1020 before they implemented swipe typing on that platform. That was rough. Still have a soft spot for that phone and the OS, so much better than Android was, at least at the time. Dropped it in the driveway and broke the screen, no worry, two little screws and the whole display assembly just lifted off with ease.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

anakha posted:

Granted, I haven't used Swiftkey in literally years, so if their multi-language algorithm and swiping has improved, I'm willing to give that another try.

I can type and swype in English and SwiftKey will also give me vietnamese suggestions (it doesn't give Arabic, the third language I use, suggestions but I'm fine with and don't really expect that) and also vice versa (have the vietnamese keyboard active, will give English suggestions).

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Three Olives posted:

the software is also preeeeeeeeetty rough, but it'll be much more tolerable for whatever that price was than it was even at half off.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

sleepwalkers posted:

the software is also preeeeeeeeetty rough, but it'll be much more tolerable for whatever that price was than it was even at half off.

$400, I'm just going to cross my fingers on the rumored OS update with Google sanctioned dual screen support working out, worst case I have a kind of lovely backup phone around when needed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Didn't Messages get the ability to "Like" texts at some point? I don't seem to have it. I have Chat features enabled but I don't see that option.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

me your dad posted:

Didn't Messages get the ability to "Like" texts at some point? I don't seem to have it. I have Chat features enabled but I don't see that option.

If it's like ios, try long pressing on the text box

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

me your dad posted:

Long press on their message in an rcs chat.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I did try long pressing but it just turns the text bubble a different color. It gives a few options up top, like copy, delete, and whatnot but no reactions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

me your dad posted:

Is it possible you're thinking of Outlook? Because they added the ability to like emails there, because liking things in a business-oriented messaging system totally makes sense.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

me your dad posted:

It did on mine for a bit, but I am in the Messages beta and turned that crap off. Looking now I don't see the setting for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If RCS is enabled in the conversation, long press should bring up reactions.

Keep in mind both sides of the conversation have to be enabled.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

If RCS is enabled in the conversation, long press should bring up reactions.

Keep in mind both sides of the conversation have to be enabled.

Yeah I just tested on my Pixel 4a and it def worked with some convos and didn't with others.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't had a chance to do much with RCS yet. It also seems to break some stuff I've come to rely on, like KDE Connect doesn't register the messages and pass them along to my computer. I've been told the same thing happens on Windows Your Phone - no notifications or ability to interact with messages like you can with SMS.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Three Olives posted:

Surface Duo is <$400 on Woot right now and I am honestly tempted. I know the software kind of sucks but I am so attached to the use cases of dual displays, I was running dual displays over 20 years ago that I am almost thinking that it could be a useful device to just have around in edge cases like meetings where i don't want to take my laptop or 12.9" iPad.

I could honestly see myself enjoying the dual screens even if the camera is poo poo and it is has an old processor if I kept my iPhone as my primary device and popped in the SIM for the Surface Duo for a conference or whatever. For $1400 or $900, gently caress no, but $400 is basically high end budget category for a unique device if it isn't total dog poo poo.

I really like mine and I paid 600 for an unlocked one from Amazon a while back. Mostly just tether it to my phone with BT, but it's great for games and reading. The camera is just super disappointing, though. I'd have thrown my SIM in if it wasn't for that. Can't ditch my Pixel 4a's camera just yet.

My personal use case has SwiftKey Beta for typing and GBoard with only Handwriting available for when I want to use a stylus. I grabbed a Surface Slim one and it's drat nice for writing on with GBoard.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEvlnovdpA4&t=2s

Android 11 on a S2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I like that people are able to port new versions to super old hardware, even if the result is always the same. It is surprising that even in 2020 there were phones coming out that had the same amount of RAM as a flagship from 10 years ago.