Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

2house2fly posted:

TSS was a fun ride overall, some neat visuals pretty much balanced out the humour overegging the pudding and some edgy poo poo that rubbed me the wrong way, like polkadot man feeling good for the first time in his life and immediately getting killed. Haha, you're a joke character, you've got no business experiencing catharsis or getting an unironic heroic moment. Lol.

haven't seen the movie but that part was telegraphed in the first trailer. Or you know the name James Gunn being on screen at any point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Daduzi posted:

I do love how consistently this thread maintains its noble tradition of being the "wrong opinions about punchman films" thread.

There isn't a thread consensus tho?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
No no, let him gently caress ON, I say

maybe they'll reveal which ones are good/bad and we can discuss comic book movies and maybe even learn something and/or have a laugh!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Roth posted:

I feel really disappointed with The Suicide Squad, but Rat Catcher 2 was good.

Feels like the movie really botched the message, and it just has the usual Hollywood liberal conclusions about the topics it brings up

Expand on this, I'm curious. The movie was pretty anti American and cynical, I thought.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This one is especially tough because I can't even really come to a consensus within my own opinion enough to declare it good or bad. It's a mixed bag of a movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

have a laugh!

\|

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Very surprised at the mixed reactions in this thread I thought it was a blast. Definitely at the tops of any DC superhero movie list. John Cena was a riot. It was so over the top that you couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity. As mentioned, the opening scene with the initial crew all getting hosed up while Savant just looks on in horror was loving hilarious. TDK's arms slowly moving through the air and then ... lightly slapping the bad guys was hilarious! The action scene where the squad has a dick measuring contest while killing the obvious freedom fighters was really well done too, it wasn't just mindless since it continued the peacemaker/bloodsport rivalry and it was really hosed up! Little things like Peacemaker just robotically axing a sleeping guy through his blanket was great. There was lots of little stuff like that which made the movie great. Like at the beginning where Blackguard is pretending to go for his gun in front of the guard. Just nice little character beats that are humorous. I am sad that Flagg ended up dead though, as I guess this means there likely won't be another one of these until it gets rebooted? Was also surprised that Boomerang got so rekt in the opening beach scene as well, poor Jai Courtney.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 6, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Suicide Squad was fun as heck. Nice to see Elba get roles where he gets to act more than just look.
Watch tv on your watch??

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Daduzi posted:

I do love how consistently this thread maintains its noble tradition of being the "wrong opinions about punchman films" thread.

Based on your reg date you are presumably in your thirties. You've somehow managed to find yourself paying ten bucks to admonish a bunch of strangers about their taste in comic book blockbusters in an obscure internet forum. Hmm.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got annoyed at Bloodsport saying "you remind me of my daughter" to Ratcatcher. I mean cmon screenwriters have some self respect.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Why do people continuously say "Flagg" when the character's name is Flag? It's been that way for, like, six decades. Is it because of the USS Flagg GI Joe toy or something?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Necrothatcher posted:

I got annoyed at Bloodsport saying "you remind me of my daughter" to Ratcatcher. I mean cmon screenwriters have some self respect.

Same with repeatedly explaining out loud that Peacemaker's name is actually ironic.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The thread seems more evenly divided on this than any movie for awhile, so I don't know what "wrong" position that would even refer to. Fits into a long tradition of bemoaning "the thread" or "goons", ignoring the fact that as soon as you registered and started posting you became a "goon" and part of "the thread".

Timby posted:

Why do people continuously say "Flagg" when the character's name is Flag? It's been that way for, like, six decades. Is it because of the USS Flagg GI Joe toy or something?

Remembering the actual interesting character Randall Flagg

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Darko posted:

Expand on this, I'm curious. The movie was pretty anti American and cynical, I thought.

I could be off base with my read but the way I see it is that despite opposing an apparent fascist regime that the US was allied with, the military coup is depicted as apolitical and even eviler while the freedom fighters are trying to instate democracy. It brings to mind depictions of Middle East terrorists as generic evil bad guys with no understanding of why they do the things they do.

I also really did not like that it felt like a good amount of the jokes revolve around horribly killing brown people, including one where they murder an entire village of people based on misinformation, and the pay off is just a joke that's never brought up again.

I also found the solutions to the problems to be very typical. Waller is gone, except Task Force X and the system that led to it is still around, alive and kicking, and everything on the island will be ok now because there's a vague promise of democracy

I don't find it as bad as the really bad stuff in Black Panther or Captain Marvel, but the whole felt really off to me.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Timby posted:

It's just a better name, and hopefully some day the comics will catch up with this fact.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Suicide Squad 2 is undeniably well-made and astonishingly banal.

The whole thing is exclusively focused on the question of whether violence is good or bad, which is already a red flag, and then the moral is literally just 'don't kill children'. It's repeated like twenty-five times, and underlined by how all the characters are some species of manchild.

So if you want to watch a two-hour movie about how child death is bad, but violence done to prevent child death is good, this could be your favorite movie of all time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

They are thinking of Chaykin's American Flagg!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Suicide Squad 2 is undeniably well-made and astonishingly banal.

The whole thing is exclusively focused on the question of whether violence is good or bad, which is already a red flag, and then the moral is literally just 'don't kill children'. It's repeated like twenty-five times, and underlined by how all the characters are some species of manchild.

So if you want to watch a two-hour movie about how child death is bad, but violence done to prevent child death is good, this could be your favorite movie of all time.

You can just watch Tropic Thunder here or the fabulous Rambo 4: John Rambo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As the resident ultimate Gunn fan I really enjoyed but didn’t love it as much as I wanted too only because I don’t think the heart was there, but what was there was a full cathartic gently caress it lets go for it and have fun feeling that was also cool.

So slightly disappointed, but also counter acted with being happy that I got to see that classic Gunn again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They are thinking of Chaykin's American Flagg!

You can just watch Tropic Thunder here or the fabulous Rambo 4: John Rambo

I need to rewatch Tropic Thunder, I haven't seen it in an age

At least five or six years. I feel like its going to hold up though

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Burkion posted:

I need to rewatch Tropic Thunder, I haven't seen it in an age

At least five or six years. I feel like its going to hold up though

Do you?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still love it, and think it holds up pretty well. The target is so specific and half that poo poo they rag on still happens.

We got that weird Sia Music film last year ffs!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Those are the words I said yes

And?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A fight is about to break out Burk

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Roth posted:

I could be off base with my read but the way I see it is that despite opposing an apparent fascist regime that the US was allied with, the military coup is depicted as apolitical and even eviler while the freedom fighters are trying to instate democracy. It brings to mind depictions of Middle East terrorists as generic evil bad guys with no understanding of why they do the things they do.

I also really did not like that it felt like a good amount of the jokes revolve around horribly killing brown people, including one where they murder an entire village of people based on misinformation, and the pay off is just a joke that's never brought up again.

I also found the solutions to the problems to be very typical. Waller is gone, except Task Force X and the system that led to it is still around, alive and kicking, and everything on the island will be ok now because there's a vague promise of democracy

I don't find it as bad as the really bad stuff in Black Panther or Captain Marvel, but the whole felt really off to me.

I think a lot of this is that Gunn is generally really cynical in his films (which Disney doesn't really allow), so some things are just dark for the sake of being dark. It's not embracing those things as much as saying, "yeah, this sucks."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

2house2fly posted:

TSS was a fun ride overall, some neat visuals pretty much balanced out the humour overegging the pudding and some edgy poo poo that rubbed me the wrong way, like polkadot man feeling good for the first time in his life and immediately getting killed. Haha, you're a joke character, you've got no business experiencing catharsis or getting an unironic heroic moment. Lol.

Ratcatcher 2 didn't find it very funny.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
There was def Snyder influence with how few small scenes were shot and one song choice in TSS. It isn't the same version of the song from Dawn of the Dead but not surprised since Gunn also worked on that.

You could also tell the studio demanded Gunn make this one more colorful than Ayer's Suicide Squad.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spacebump posted:

There was def Snyder influence with how few small scenes were shot and one song choice in TSS. It isn't the same version of the song from Dawn of the Dead but not surprised since Gunn also worked on that.

You could also tell the studio demanded Gunn make this one more colorful than Ayer's Suicide Squad.

It was less colorful than the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies so demanding probably wasn't necessary.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it took them literal decades but they finally made a good one of these. good on them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll be honest I've been a fan of James Gunn's work over the years but I feel like maybe I'm burned out on his brand of comedy. It got better in the second half but especially in the first half I was rolling my eyes a lot and a lot of the jokes were just grating to me.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One thing I'm curious about is that it's set on a tropical island, and was filmed in Puerto Rico and Panama, but is coded as Argentina with the Mafalda keychain and fernet, as well as the Nazi stuff to a lesser degree. Was it just dumb gringo mixing and matching or was there more to it than that for Gunn?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Basebf555 posted:

I'll be honest I've been a fan of James Gunn's work over the years but I feel like maybe I'm burned out on his brand of comedy. It got better in the second half but especially in the first half I was rolling my eyes a lot and a lot of the jokes were just grating to me.

Yeah, I was hoping the jokes would be funnier than the ones from the trailer, but they really weren't. Some sight gags worked though, and actors like Robbie, Dastmalchian and Capaldi are good enough to generally make their characters funny.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It would’ve been funnier if Polka Dot Man survived and became the biggest hero of the entire movie

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it took them literal decades but they finally made a good one of these. good on them

Agreed, movie was rad.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They also completely abandon the “Suicide Squad” concept shortly after the opening credits, so that’s kinda weird.

It’s a plot device to get all these man-children onto the same island but, once they’re there, they immediately sympathize with the rebels and nobody needs to be coerced into doing anything. The exception is Idris Elba’s character, who isn’t threatened with being suicided but by having his daughter killed. But I guess “The ‘They’ll Kill Our Families’ Squad” doesn’t have the same ring.

Ultimately, Ayers’ film was way more transgressive because he was pushing the limits of a PG-13. Like, Diablo was a gangster who killed his own family. In this one, two of the squad are in it for fuckin’ bank robbery, and I don’t recall if they even mentioned what anyone else did. Like, maybe they got Polkadot-Man on marijuana possession. And the cartoon gore has a real comfort-blanket effect.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I did enjoy, well enjoy isn’t the right word, I don’t know what is. Appreciated? No. Anyway… when a super hero action movie has the good (bad) guys kill actual people and not waves of cgi trash mobs it’s better. It went against the usual norm where you kill the cgi trash mobs to level up to fight the main real person boss (still usually heavily cgi’d, to killing people to get to the main cgi boss.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The Suicide Squad's definitely a fun time. It's not a perfect movie, but it was much better than the usual DC comic book movies. I enjoyed Bloodsport's gimmick every time I saw it too. It's a bit heavy handed at times, but ultimately it told a fun story and it looked very pretty doing it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The suicide squad proves that James Gunn only has one idea and one idea only. It’s basically a rated R guardians of the galaxy down to the Shark basically being Groot. It’s very dull and not even that funny. I appreciated the gore though.

But man you can feel Will Smith’s absence in this so hard

E: seems like this movie was tailor made to win over MCU fans because of how goofy and colorful it is or whatever. The same praise this movie is getting and how it’s finally “a good DC” movie is the same poo poo that was said about Shazam. Guess people forgot about shazam

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 6, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They finally got around to reviving the Chronicle sequel.

- Trank not involved (no surprise there).
- Set 10 years after the end of the previous movie and will have three female protagonists.
- Plot will revolve around the cover ups, fake news, and impact on the world caused by the events of the first movie.
- New group will get powers somehow.
- Max Landis' script was thrown out and they started from scratch.

https://www.ign.com/articles/chronicle-sequel-in-the-works-with-female-lead

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i had fun watching suicide squad, but it does feel very much like gunn had a really strong vision for the idea of the first team's fate, and everything that came afterwards didn't have quite the same style to it. I think there's a lot you could've snipped out of the script and in editing that would've made this a tighter package, but I think a lot of the rougher dialogue feels like the script was made before nailing down all the characters, and they had to get it done -quick-. On the comic book movie scale, it's a fun evening, but it's still not better than the best comic book movie, blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If I have any nitpick with The Suicide Squad it is that Harley feels very different than the Harley of Birds of Prey. That movie was basically all character growth for her and here she is just kind of "Wacky Clown Girl" again. There is a hint of her BoP character in the scene where she shoots the guy in the stomach and goes on about her taste in men is problematic and wears her down. Margot Robbie is as brilliant as ever, and her action is dope as hell, and she is genuinely funny (Melvin bit was great) but it felt... a bit off

I really dug the solid newcomers like Cena and Elba. Idris Elba does "I'm stuck with these idiots and I hate them" so goddamn well, and Cena just does bravado and being a dick to a tee. and David Dastmalchian is just great as Polka Dot Man, really brought something to an otherwise dumb character.