Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Black Maria: robin you stupid bitch, no one likes you
Brook: gently caress around and find out
Robin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm still going back and forth on whether the tobiroppo are actually defeated. A lot of people (if you can call youtubers and redditors people) are convinced that at the very least Who's who and Sasaki are unliekly to be down, if it's not the case that all of them are just temporarily recovering. I think alot of what is driving this is the idea that has developed that Zoan devil fruit users in general are known to have excellent endurance and recovery from injuries, although I'm hard pressed to think of great examples of this pre Wano arc outside of Jack and arguably Rob Lucci.

I am cheering for them to not be done as I really think we could get more from Usopp, Nami, Franky, Brook and Jinbe.. Robin's fight i'm completely satisficed with :)

We did get that panel of the bird watching Black Maria get scrunched, that network of spies is tied back to CP-0 at the moment so I wonder if that implies that they will be entering into a more active role in the fight now that the Tobiroppo have apparently had their turn. At the very least I hope there's a page where they discuss the tobiroppo dropping and maybe tie a definitive bow on those fights lol

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Starsfan posted:

I'm still going back and forth on whether the tobiroppo are actually defeated. A lot of people (if you can call youtubers and redditors people) are convinced that at the very least Who's who and Sasaki are unliekly to be down, if it's not the case that all of them are just temporarily recovering. I think alot of what is driving this is the idea that has developed that Zoan devil fruit users in general are known to have excellent endurance and recovery from injuries, although I'm hard pressed to think of great examples of this pre Wano arc outside of Jack and arguably Rob Lucci.

I am cheering for them to not be done as I really think we could get more from Usopp, Nami, Franky, Brook and Jinbe.. Robin's fight i'm completely satisficed with :)

We did get that panel of the bird watching Black Maria get scrunched, that network of spies is tied back to CP-0 at the moment so I wonder if that implies that they will be entering into a more active role in the fight now that the Tobiroppo have apparently had their turn. At the very least I hope there's a page where they discuss the tobiroppo dropping and maybe tie a definitive bow on those fights lol

I think Black Maria and Ulti are done, but not Who's Who, Sasaki, or Page One.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think that the tobi roppo are down for the count for the rest of the arc. the strawhats job is now to turn the odds of a several thousand defect in the fight to something surmountable

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, going by the Jump Cover, Bleach is back?

One Piece Manga Thread: This new Devilman no Uta cover slaps

Good thing Brook was the one to see the huge devil titties, since he doesn't have to worry about putting his eyes back in his head.

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t think it’s armament cause usually it’s more of a glossy metal black, although I kinda did for a second. Be glad to be wrong though, it’s gonna feel kinda silly when the Strawhats square up against Blackbeard’s crew and the only one of the Middle Four that can do it is Sanji.

It was definitely haki because you could see the lines on her arms where the coating ended. Also her exhaustion after going full Devilchild is very similar to Luffy post Gear 5.

Paper Lion posted:

i saw an interesting theory that the real reason the WG was so horny for the gum gum fruit is because it ties into the 2 research topics theyve been shown to be fixated on most over the series: devil fruit powers being passed on to other people/objects, and gigantification. its also interesting to point out that luffy gigantifies his arm at the start of the arc to intercept the sumo palm thrust like it would inflate in gear 3, but he never actually inflates his arm, it just...gets bigger without any external stimulus, the way katakuri's arm were able to embiggen.

The only reason that being a rubber man has any value at all is Luffy spend a decade or so figuring out how to do something with it. If you go back and look at what the base level of the abilities are when he was a kid, it actually made him weaker. The only upside without massive creativity and dedicated training to the Gum Gum fruit is immunity to all non-slashing damage.

Every other fruit comes with innate instruction on how to do things with it. Luffy on the other hand whole cloth invented all his gun and gear moves. However, if the WG/Navy knew about Enel having the lightning fruit then getting the Gum Gum would have strategic value. Assuming it wasn't for some sort of industrial use via Vega Punk.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Julias posted:

Most of what I saw online was cool with the robin stuff, but were worried that aging up momo would power him up to be just as strong as Oden or a scabbard without him having any formal training. Basically worrying about hypotheticals that ruin their powerscaling. Basically people not having fun enjoying the ride, and nitpicking story details.

I'm hoping that Momo does get strong as a result - reddit nerds handwringing about power scaling be damned. At no point is it ever implied that Oden trained to be as strong as he was, in fact quite the opposite, in his herculean introduction it's stated that he was killing bears and slumming it in brothels since childhood. Having adult Momo be strong like Oden would actually clear up the concerns I've had about Yamato setting sail with the crew, in addition to bringing to fruition the playful rivalry between Luffy and Momo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's not like you've got to add very much to Momo's age to get his body to a point where it's "strong". Probably only need to add 5-7 years to get him to close enough to be old enough to be a pre-timeskip Strawhat for him to be strong enough.

Gonna be real hard to share a bath with the ladies afterwards though. The greatest of sacrifices for his country.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Gyges posted:

So, going by the Jump Cover, Bleach is back?

One Piece Manga Thread: This new Devilman no Uta cover slaps

Good thing Brook was the one to see the huge devil titties, since he doesn't have to worry about putting his eyes back in his head.

It was definitely haki because you could see the lines on her arms where the coating ended. Also her exhaustion after going full Devilchild is very similar to Luffy post Gear 5.

The only reason that being a rubber man has any value at all is Luffy spend a decade or so figuring out how to do something with it. If you go back and look at what the base level of the abilities are when he was a kid, it actually made him weaker. The only upside without massive creativity and dedicated training to the Gum Gum fruit is immunity to all non-slashing damage.

Every other fruit comes with innate instruction on how to do things with it. Luffy on the other hand whole cloth invented all his gun and gear moves. However, if the WG/Navy knew about Enel having the lightning fruit then getting the Gum Gum would have strategic value. Assuming it wasn't for some sort of industrial use via Vega Punk.

Luffy's fruit is also an outlier because it's a permanent transformation to his whole body. I'm sure there are others, but none immediately come to mind.

Pekoms and Kuma had permanent changes to part of them, while others like Buggy/Daz Bones/Katakuri can turn theirs on and off.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 6, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Gyges posted:

im not saying they wanted it for any combat capability. im just noting that we know for a fact the WG has an obsession with gigantification experiments, and they have been shown failing them repeatedly. various characters have mentioned it, and we even saw the failed experiments on those kids in punk hazard. luffy's fruit going missing also matches the timeline we know of where vegapunk starts getting interested in transferring fruit powers to other people or things. im not saying we know the reason why the WG cares about gigantification or anything, just that i think it's a plausible reason why they'd have wanted the fruit that doesn't have some bullshit fate or destiny reason that would turn a lot of people off.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

im not saying they wanted it for any combat capability. im just noting that we know for a fact the WG has an obsession with gigantification experiments, and they have been shown failing them repeatedly. various characters have mentioned it, and we even saw the failed experiments on those kids in punk hazard. luffy's fruit going missing also matches the timeline we know of where vegapunk starts getting interested in transferring fruit powers to other people or things. im not saying we know the reason why the WG cares about gigantification or anything, just that i think it's a plausible reason why they'd have wanted the fruit that doesn't have some bullshit fate or destiny reason that would turn a lot of people off.

Was the WG really ever all that interested in gigantification? Vegapunk worked on it presumably with government funding, but the character most interested in the project seems to be Big Mom.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A Bug posted:

Luffy's fruit is also an outlier because it's a permanent transformation to his whole body. I'm sure there are others, but none immediately come to mind.

Pekoms and Kuma had permanent changes to part of them, while others like Buggy/Daz Bones/Katakuri can turn theirs on and off.

Yeah, being on the very weird border between Paramecia and Logia is pretty unique for rubber boy.

Paper Lion posted:

The thing is that there is nothing about the fruit that would lead anyone to think it could be used for anything in the vicinity of gigantification though. That's entirely a side effect of Luffy's very special brain running into a couple giants before trying to think up cool power up moves after Aokiji beat him.

On paper, likely in any previous records of usage, the Gum Gum just makes you kind of droopy and stretchy while being able to tank all types of blunt force trauma.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
My thoughts when reading this chapter:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Paper Lion posted:

Going to poke a hole in this theory you have by just saying that Giants already exist, and many of them have been in the Marines. Caesar was doing his own thing under the radar which is more tied to Doffy than the WG.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 6, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ill just link to the one piece wiki about the concept, where they cite volumes for a lot of these assertions. like how the WG has been working on the technology for literal centuries and its something they're absolutely interested in to a frankly bizarre degree, or how the experiements that ended up being recruited to kaido as the numbers were all from around 20 years ago and considered failures, showing this was actively being pursued when the WG had possession of the gum gum, and all the other times it's come up in the story https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Gigantification

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 6, 2021

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

i totally forgot to post the second half of the gigantification post, and the actual point of it: i want luffy to gigantify someone, either momo or yamato or himself to hold up onigashima so it parallels oden holding his retainers on his back in the pot

How would Luffy gigantify someone else? That’s not how his power works

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

How would Luffy gigantify someone else? That’s not how his power works

awakened devil fruit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Paper Lion posted:

ill just link to the one piece wiki about the concept, where they cite volumes for a lot of these assertions. like how the WG has been working on the technology for literal centuries and its something they're absolutely interested in to a frankly bizarre degree, or how the experiements that ended up being recruited to kaido as the numbers were all from around 20 years ago and considered failures, showing this was actively being pursued when the WG had possession of the gum gum, and all the other times it's come up in the story https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Gigantification

This is all genuinely interesting

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah i wouldnt be shocked if the ancient kingdom was made of giants and they gave the wg a huge run for their money

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

big if true

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So Robin is using Busoshoku Haki right?

Also Bane called and he wants his move back.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 7, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Jose posted:

This is all genuinely interesting

the thing that helped clinch it for me was remembering that when sengoku saw luffy do his luffy poo poo, he literally called it out as the term gigantification and seemed surprised. man was high up enough to know some poo poo

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

awakened devil fruit

Explain. We haven’t seen any awakened users transferring their power into someone else

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

we've also only seen more standard paramecia types and zoans use it. as stated earlier on the page, luffy's fruit is pretty weird even for a paramecia and there's no telling what it can do, or what the limits of awakening even are. i think its foolish to think anything luffy could do would be constrained by things we've already seen when he's entirely about busting beyond limits and doing whatever the gently caress he wants

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

anime was right posted:

yeah i wouldnt be shocked if the ancient kingdom was made of giants and they gave the wg a huge run for their money

yeah i'm fairly on this side theory wise as well. it'd also explain the big hat lol, and makes sense that elbaf is kinda similar to wano in that it's really its own, undisturbed place

giants were really really important at one pt in this timeline. the whole oars continent puller stuff makes me think that even more

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Scholtz posted:

big if true

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Scholtz posted:

big if true

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Scholtz posted:

big if true
:perfect:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

big news some might say

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
:bignews:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the four highest Numbers are left, though I also think Page One and Who’s Who might get back up. Hawkins, Apoo, Jack, Queen, King and Perospero are all still active as well.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 7, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i love how much poignant cross-pollination of signature moves from friends and factions is being performed with various characters' arsenals in cool ways distinct to that character's style or powers

also similarly echoing that one post about the strawhats embracing the scars of their pasts directly in battle. the chibi old man meme was cute and all but i really hope 'hell yea im a freak' teen chopper makes an upgraded comeback this arc and hes not just left with 'monster point but it lasts somewhat longer' in the fact of everything the rest of the crew has had going on lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Holy wow, whole lotta people seemed to have forgotten it’s not Monday with all these untagged spoilers.

A Bug posted:

Chop Chop makes Buggy a chop chop man forever, and Alvida’s whole body changed with Smooth Smooth. The earliest fruits feel like they’re geared to change your body forever which itself is a sort of curse compared to later Paramecias just being more conventional super powers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Holy wow, whole lotta people seemed to have forgotten it’s not Monday with all these untagged spoilers.

Chop Chop makes Buggy a chop chop man forever, and Alvida’s whole body changed with Smooth Smooth. The earliest fruits feel like they’re geared to change your body forever which itself is a sort of curse compared to later Paramecias just being more conventional super powers.

Pretty sure that Katakuri is a mochi man in exactly the same way that Luffy is a rubber man. Like, that's the whole point.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Robin: Brook, I'm already a demon. Heaven wasn't my kind of place anyway.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Aurora posted:

it's both thematically and literally his moment to 'grow up' and also so he can become the leader wano needs without people being apprehensive about baby child leader

this whole arc and especially act 3 he's been upset about being powerless and it's his recognition that he needs to change somehow, dramatically

I don't feel like this is a good solution to that problem though. He'll still be a scared 8 year old child but in a much older (potentially adult) body, which is pretty disturbing really.

He already has the respect of the samurai army, between his speech at the prison, and the bravery he showed in front of them while a captive of Kanjuro and later when he was facing execution. It's more important for him to grow up mentally and emotionally than physically right now, that's the lesson Luffy has been trying to impart on him this whole time.

As for the powerup 'argument', even if he gets some base strength/size increases he's not going to have the skills or experience required for him to actually be of use in this fight. He won't have be familiar in his new body, won't have haki, and won't even be any better at using his dragon form. The most he could possibly hope for is to give Kaido a momentary shock as he sees another large dragon and/or someone resembling Oden. It might have made more sense if Momo had done this when he first arrived back at Wano and if he'd trained intensely since then.

This just feels like it'd be a big misstep on so many levels, so I really hope Luffy intervenes and shuts it down before it happens.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Momo but his hair rises 20 feet up

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

jassa posted:

I don't feel like this is a good solution to that problem though. He'll still be a scared 8 year old child but in a much older (potentially adult) body, which is pretty disturbing really.

He already has the respect of the samurai army, between his speech at the prison, and the bravery he showed in front of them while a captive of Kanjuro and later when he was facing execution. It's more important for him to grow up mentally and emotionally than physically right now, that's the lesson Luffy has been trying to impart on him this whole time.

As for the powerup 'argument', even if he gets some base strength/size increases he's not going to have the skills or experience required for him to actually be of use in this fight. He won't have be familiar in his new body, won't have haki, and won't even be any better at using his dragon form. The most he could possibly hope for is to give Kaido a momentary shock as he sees another large dragon and/or someone resembling Oden. It might have made more sense if Momo had done this when he first arrived back at Wano and if he'd trained intensely since then.

This just feels like it'd be a big misstep on so many levels, so I really hope Luffy intervenes and shuts it down before it happens.

I mean, he only wants to do it so he can carry everyone back up to Onigashima, I don't think he's planning on taking down Kaido singlehandedly or anything. He can do that and contribute to the victory without needing to suddenly gain a bunch of fighting skill and courage or whatever. Heck, just flying up there would be a big step, what with his fear of heights!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
has Shinobu ever used her powers on a human being before? Not in the story atleast, where it was assumed by the fanbase that her ripe ripe fruit only worked on inanimate objects.. this seems like it would be an insanely dangerous thing to try for the first time on someone... I mean I know we're talking storybook magical manga logic here, but wouldn't causing some biological organism to age 18 years instantaneously cause all the cells in it's body to die? By what mechanism would he "grow" into a much larger adult, all we've seen so far is Shinobu using her power to make things crumble or rot away into nothingness.

all i'm saying is maybe she should do a test run on a baby bird or something like that first lol... maybe Caribou has a pet in his storage

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well hody and friends got aged into rickety old men and they didnt die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Starsfan posted:

has Shinobu ever used her powers on a human being before? Not in the story atleast, where it was assumed by the fanbase that her ripe ripe fruit only worked on inanimate objects.. this seems like it would be an insanely dangerous thing to try for the first time on someone... I mean I know we're talking storybook magical manga logic here, but wouldn't causing some biological organism to age 18 years instantaneously cause all the cells in it's body to die? By what mechanism would he "grow" into a much larger adult, all we've seen so far is Shinobu using her power to make things crumble or rot away into nothingness.

all i'm saying is maybe she should do a test run on a baby bird or something like that first lol... maybe Caribou has a pet in his storage

Not to mention that if she can use it on people she could've used it to fight(Would Kaido be as strong if aged 50 years? Though he can probably resist it with Haki). Maybe it's too slow for that.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 7, 2021