Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just want to say thanks to the folks who mentioned the book "House Next Door", I bought a Kindle copy last night and I am hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not, it's just a bit of world building and wasn't intended to be transphobic but can be read that way. the character in question stumbles on Yorrick pretty early in the series as a side story about how people are coping. They reveal that some of the women weren't adapting very well so other women starting cutting their hair short and wearing fake beards to look more masculine to help them adapt. It wasn't really sexual identity and more performative like drag.

Wonder if that might be reflective on the authors idea of what a trans Dude is

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I’m not sure how considering this relates is to something specific.

I guess the author could think trans men are just women without men in their lives but that seems like something you would need more info to say

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
You could probably make a good adaptation out of Y: The Last Man that incorporates trans themes better, but somehow I don't see this being the one.

One aspect I remember liking that I doubt they'll keep is the origin of the death of men: there isn't one. There's a few different hypothetical origins, like a bioweapon or an amulet being stolen from a tomb, but nothing ever goes beyond speculation. It's really hard to see something like that in a YouTube-explainer, theory crafting, puzzle box-obsessed media environment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I haven’t read Y the Last Man in ages but Brian K Vaughn (the writer) has been pretty good to great about trans representation and inclusion in other series I’ve read by him, so I think calling him an outright transphobe is pretty incorrect.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was 20 years ago. People can be clumsy or have incorrect ideas while meaning well. Y definitely belongs in the past, though. It’s an artifact of a dead world.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

bobjr posted:

I was introduced to this movie because of the ending below, I just didn’t know how crazy the entire movie and production around it was

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1208174810066350080?s=21

LOL please tell me this didn't actually wind up on Hallmark, my mother watches those things relentlessly and my brain can't take the idea of her seeing that one. Though she's so familiar with the things she can recognize movies as Hallmark films that you wouldn't think were; we were watching Rise of Skywalker when she told me this was actually a Hallmark film. I said I thought those didn't involve a cackling madman throwing lightning around, but not five minutes later Rey and Ben Solo kissed and I had to admit she was right all along :stare:.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did the dead soldier get his video back to the United States? That poo poo is extremely fascistic in mixing religious ideas with nationalist imagery.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rochallor posted:

You could probably make a good adaptation out of Y: The Last Man that incorporates trans themes better, but somehow I don't see this being the one.

One aspect I remember liking that I doubt they'll keep is the origin of the death of men: there isn't one. There's a few different hypothetical origins, like a bioweapon or an amulet being stolen from a tomb, but nothing ever goes beyond speculation. It's really hard to see something like that in a YouTube-explainer, theory crafting, puzzle box-obsessed media environment.

I googled around a bit, a transwoman is one of the lead writers and they've created an original character that's a transman and cast an actual transman in the role. So it seems like they recognize that understanding of gender has changed in the last 20 years and are approaching it with their heart in the right place.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It was 20 years ago. People can be clumsy or have incorrect ideas while meaning well. Y definitely belongs in the past, though. It’s an artifact of a dead world.

We all are: act accordingly.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It was 20 years ago. People can be clumsy or have incorrect ideas while meaning well. Y definitely belongs in the past, though. Its an artifact of a dead world.

The version of Y that came out 20 years ago belongs in the past. That doesn't mean a good version for modern sensibilities can't be created and exist now.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I remember reading Y the Last Man and thinking it was awful, but I’ve hated most of Vaughn’s works

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rochallor posted:

One aspect I remember liking that I doubt they'll keep is the origin of the death of men: there isn't one. There's a few different hypothetical origins, like a bioweapon or an amulet being stolen from a tomb, but nothing ever goes beyond speculation.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I recall Dr. Mann's father explained it as morphic resonance. I don't think it was given the same red herring context like the amulet, but as the actual explanation of what happened.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

How did the dead soldier get his video back to the United States? That poo poo is extremely fascistic in mixing religious ideas with nationalist imagery.

Welcome to the American right

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

It's all pretty ridiculous but the dude standing up and saluting at the end broke me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

It's been a while since I've read it, but I recall Dr. Mann's father explained it as morphic resonance. I don't think it was given the same red herring context like the amulet, but as the actual explanation of what happened.

The difference there is that one explanation is presented as scientific and the other as magical. There isn't any actual proof that the person you're talking about knows the truth of it. Also it doesn't explain why the astronauts weren't affected; if the gendercide spread globally from a single source, morphic resonance would have to have travelled further between people on the Earth to reach Australia than it would have to reach the astronauts in space. Logically it almost makes more sense for it to have been the Amulet of Helene.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thetoughestbean posted:

I remember reading Y the Last Man and thinking it was awful, but I’ve hated most of Vaughn’s works

I also read (most of) it and thought it was awful, but the difference is I've liked a lot of Vaughns work. Runaways was one of the series that got me back into reading comics after 10+ years away from them, enjoyed The Hood (and thought that everything that came after with that character missed the entire drat point of his original mini), We Stand On Guard was decent (if a little obvious at times about which buttons it was going to push and when). Just for some reason Y: The last man (and also Ex Machina, his other big creator owned thing) did absolutely nothing for me at all. I'd be willing to give an adaptation a fair shot, but they'd need to basically entirely rewrite the main character for me to give a half a poo poo about him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just want to say thanks to the folks who mentioned the book "House Next Door", I bought a Kindle copy last night and I am hooked.

I read it a few years back after seeing it recommended in Stephen King's Danse Macabre. It's cheesy, but unsettling in that a lot of the events could happen like that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

It's all pretty ridiculous but the dude standing up and saluting at the end broke me

I'm just amazed they were able to find enough actors who could keep a straight face long enough to record their scenes. It's not set in an alternate universe or portraying some "This is the future the liberals want" kind of thing like those Christian films from the 70s where the UN is guillotining Christians, it's supposed to be set in the present day. In a country where Christmas is the biggest holiday, but this one guy is being persecuted for putting up Christmas decorations. Someone should do an edit that shows the whole film is the delusions of a man driven insane by Fox News. Everyone else is trying to have a normal Christmas while this lunatic is running around screaming about oppression until he gets put in an asylum. Oh, and his son isn't dead, they just don't talk anymore because his son voted for Obama.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

A trans woman.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

now I'm wondering if Starship Troopers 3 still comes off as deliberately ridiculous with the entire "religion is illegal -> God does exist! And he's on our side!" plotline

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SiKboy posted:

I also read (most of) it and thought it was awful, but the difference is I've liked a lot of Vaughns work. Runaways was one of the series that got me back into reading comics after 10+ years away from them, enjoyed The Hood (and thought that everything that came after with that character missed the entire drat point of his original mini), We Stand On Guard was decent (if a little obvious at times about which buttons it was going to push and when). Just for some reason Y: The last man (and also Ex Machina, his other big creator owned thing) did absolutely nothing for me at all. I'd be willing to give an adaptation a fair shot, but they'd need to basically entirely rewrite the main character for me to give a half a poo poo about him.

I loved Runaways so I read a lot of Y the last man and Ex Machina and it made me deeply uninterested in reading anything more written by him.

I’ve skimmed through Saga because a friend had it and boy it sure loved telling me that the the extremely cool protagonists hosed each other

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Noice

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean posted:

I loved Runaways so I read a lot of Y the last man and Ex Machina and it made me deeply uninterested in reading anything more written by him.

I’ve skimmed through Saga because a friend had it and boy it sure loved telling me that the the extremely cool protagonists hosed each other

well, them loving was integral to the plot

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I googled around a bit, a transwoman is one of the lead writers and they've created an original character that's a transman and cast an actual transman in the role. So it seems like they recognize that understanding of gender has changed in the last 20 years and are approaching it with their heart in the right place.

trans is an adjective. a woman can be a trans woman. a man can be a trans man. it is not an issue of there being women and transwomen, men and transmen: trans women are women, trans men are men, trans is an adjective, thank you for your time.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

trans is an adjective. a woman can be a trans woman. a man can be a trans man. it is not an issue of there being women and transwomen, men and transmen: trans women are women, trans men are men, trans is an adjective, thank you for your time.

:hai:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

thetoughestbean posted:

You can kind of see him changing as an author during Y. The first chapter legitimately argues that sexism is bad but so are abortions. And there's that absolutely poo poo side plot with the feminists who want to cut off their breasts and kill all men. By the end of the comic it's clear that he's changed his tune and it actually gets quite good. He brings back the woman who misgendered her old SO and expands upon the idea of gender and transitioning in the new world.

By the time he began Saga, his writing was a lot better, and it includes genderfluid as well as trans main characters who aren't defined by their sexuality or gender. I'd give it another go.

Speaking of Runaways, I gave in and watched the first season on Disney+, and...what. The tone of the comics is pretty light despite all the horrible things the kids go through. The first episode of the TV show involves an attempted gang rape of Karolina, and it gets darker from there. It turns out Karolina's mom is cheating on her husband with a Gibborim. When he murdered her best friend's teenage daughter, she posed the crime scene to make it look like a suicide. And there's some more soap opera batshittery in there including someone slipping into a coma, a tone-deaf subplot about an abused woman returning to her abuser, and a bunch of love triangles within Pride. By the end of the season, most of the focus was on the adults and their weird poo poo, rather than the kids.

Maybe it gets better, but I was pretty disappointed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i saw this shared on facebook and i don't know where to put it. but considering luc besson is a pedophile maybe they should have used a different movie to make this joke

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So this isn't the media aging so much as it is me aging, but when I was a kid there was a show called "Thirtysomething" and I thought it was about old people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you want to feel really old, it was about boomers. I feel like our dying economy has made enough of the traditional markers of middle age harder to get for long enough that age 40 is to us what age 30 was to the boomers.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

If you want to feel really old, it was about boomers. I feel like our dying economy has made enough of the traditional markers of middle age harder to get for long enough that age 40 is to us what age 30 was to the boomers.

This is only tangentially related, but it sparked a memory of my mom from a few years ago. She was complaining that all the stories about millennials not being able to afford to buy houses were just inflammatory and not true, because almost every late 20s to 30-somethings she knows are homeowners.

I had to point out to her that she's a loving mortgage banker and every millennial she knows, except family, were people explicitly coming to her so they could buy a house. Every person she named (that I knew) earned more than double the median income of the area, while her and my dad bought their first house right out of high school while working minimum wage jobs.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's some hilarious levels of confirmation bias right there.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

hallo spacedog posted:

That's some hilarious levels of confirmation bias right there.

For real. That's right up there with "I just ate a sandwich, world hunger has ended."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

InediblePenguin posted:

if the trans community heavily leans towards one form (it's my understanding that, historically, trans man emerged as a quick term that can cover both transsexual and transgender men, maybe explaining the open form) or perhaps it just wants to stay out of the compound noun business altogether, that's fine and i can respect it and follow their lead but i'm reasonably certain the english language itself could not reliably specify a difference between transwoman, trans-woman or trans woman, in the same way it could not specify a difference between 'transgender/trans-gender/trans gender,' in a way where one form incorrectly implies there's 'gender' and 'transgender' but another uses it more like an adjective, so that cis gender and trans gender are both more correctly recognized as subsets of gender; by comparison ciswoman seems to be an acceptable term according to several sources, but i could be wrong tho and maybe there's been recent standardization

i don't know if english is a precise enough language to make distinctions like these anyway; english, owing to its complicated, partially germanic orgins, sometimes does both compound nouns and agglutination (but to a lesser extent than its cousins) where different morphemes or adjective-noun/noun-noun pairs are either strung together, hyphenated or fused to form a compound word that conveys a combined meaning w/o necessarily creating a new category

in particular, in english there are no hard rules about the use of the open, hyphenated or closed forms of a given compound noun and it's mostly left up to the discretion of the author so you'll see plenty of variations getting published, this situation is also true of word pairs that contain foreign elements like from latin or greek

while we should definitely follow the preferred conventions of a community that's finally creating its own terms for once instead of being slurred by outsiders, english being a joke language with no rules may render grammatical explanations kinda moot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hard counter posted:

we should definitely follow the preferred conventions of a community that's finally creating its own terms for once instead of being slurred by outsiders
Ueah you should have started with this. Then stopped, you pedantic shithead.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

hard counter posted:

if the trans community heavily leans towards one form
we do and you should have just shut the gently caress up right here. i'm not reading your goddamn linguistic-theorizing bullshit. just respect the loving usage.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hush, you

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Media that did not age well: english, owing to its complicated, partially germanic origins

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Ueah you should have started with this. Then stopped, you pedantic shithead.

i think leading with that explanation to begin with may be the way forward here, that's all, if you explain it with a rule that isn't a rule confusion just becomes more likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

And if you say it the way you suggest people argue that that is nonsensical and basically there is no way for a trans person to exist or speak without somebody questioning them like an rear end in a top hat, just like you just did and are currently continuing to do. shut the gently caress up and LISTEN.