Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

only for files that are saved to SPO or OneDrive.

Yes, but how else would you expect live document collaboration like that to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

Yes, but how else would you expect live document collaboration like that to work?

Magic

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

xzzy posted:

Getting a new job and inspecting the custom icons in their slack is a great way to figure out if any goons are in the organization.

There were a lot of SA emotes in my company’s Slack instance when I started, but the one I needed to use most, :negative:, was missing.

I solved that quickly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wonder if the WeWork Slack ever had :gooncamp: as an emoji

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Fool posted:

If you are the average user, magic and fairy farts.

It is completely and utterly necessary to point that information out to the Average User, otherwise cue the I NEED TO COLLABORAET ON THIS IMPORTANT DOCUEMENT AND ITS NOT WORKING emails/calls/chats/messenger pigeons/smoke signals/toilet flushes

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

If you are the average user, magic and fairy farts.

It is completely and utterly necessary to point that information out to the Average User, otherwise cue the I NEED TO COLLABORAET ON THIS IMPORTANT DOCUEMENT AND ITS NOT WORKING emails/calls/chats/messenger pigeons/smoke signals/toilet flushes

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

There are a shocking number of people who never actually understand what they're doing at their job. They have learned a certain set of actions that result in them receiving a paycheck and not getting chewed out by their boss, and that's it. I call them "human macros" because they just know to click here, then here, then here, then press Y, etc. If anything unexpected happens, something moves, something looks different, they break down even if the solution is blindingly obvious.

I notice it most with people who use computers for their job, but after starting to look more closely I see it in other fields as well.

I have a coworker who is quite possibly one of the dumbest people I've ever met.
Right now, he is having problem with the application that he is in charge of, and has been working on for years. The problem is it talks to a very specific type of printer. They have turned up a new server for some reason, and when this server talks to a printer, the connection stops. Because this app is important, he schedules a meeting with people from about 5 departments. The meeting starts, it has the wrong call in number. Sends out a second invite, but is then 5 minutes late to his own meeting.
15 minutes later, meeting starts up. It takes multiple questions from people for him to explain how this works, and describe the traffic flow. User runs an app on their desktop, it pulls info from a database, sends to server, which then sends to printer. Ok, simple enough. Traffic is verified that it works until the server talks to the printer. I pull logs from the local firewall, it shows the connection is being reset by the printer. I tell him this, and he asks how I make the firewall stop doing that.
Another person joins in, says a reset from the device means IT is dropping the connection. Again, he goes silent for a bit.
He asks if its a firewall that is only installed on laptops. He is told no, as its not installed on printers.
He leaves the call to talk to support.

Every hour or so, I get a group IM from him offering updates. After 4 of those, he discovers that the new server, while talking on the same port, now uses TLS. He needs to update the device firmware. He says the instructions said to check the firmware version, but didn't think it mattered since the old one worked.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

I have a coworker who is quite possibly one of the dumbest people I've ever met.
Right now, he is having problem with the application that he is in charge of, and has been working on for years. The problem is it talks to a very specific type of printer. They have turned up a new server for some reason, and when this server talks to a printer, the connection stops. Because this app is important, he schedules a meeting with people from about 5 departments. The meeting starts, it has the wrong call in number. Sends out a second invite, but is then 5 minutes late to his own meeting.
15 minutes later, meeting starts up. It takes multiple questions from people for him to explain how this works, and describe the traffic flow. User runs an app on their desktop, it pulls info from a database, sends to server, which then sends to printer. Ok, simple enough. Traffic is verified that it works until the server talks to the printer. I pull logs from the local firewall, it shows the connection is being reset by the printer. I tell him this, and he asks how I make the firewall stop doing that.
Another person joins in, says a reset from the device means IT is dropping the connection. Again, he goes silent for a bit.
He asks if its a firewall that is only installed on laptops. He is told no, as its not installed on printers.
He leaves the call to talk to support.

Every hour or so, I get a group IM from him offering updates. After 4 of those, he discovers that the new server, while talking on the same port, now uses TLS. He needs to update the device firmware. He says the instructions said to check the firmware version, but didn't think it mattered since the old one worked.

When people in the future ask why I went on a punching spree targeting only specific individuals, it will be because of something very similar to that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

More poo poo that pisses you off: I suppose this is more of an organizational issue

Second.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Third

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My new job is so bad that it has taken me a record amount of time to go from "ooo, new place smell" to "I don't give a gently caress what's on fire." I don't know if life stuff / state of the world stuff is compounding it, but good lord do I not care. I think I need a career change. I've been doing "IT generalist" for way too long.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hear you

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds familiar, I did mostly lateral, slightly diagonal moves in my last couple of job changes to various flavors of senior network engineer, but if you stick to the operations side all you end up with is fires that are more difficult to put out instead of actual fulfilling work. And frankly, putting out fires while the whole company stares stopped being interesting 10 years ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

My new job is so bad that it has taken me a record amount of time to go from "ooo, new place smell" to "I don't give a gently caress what's on fire." I don't know if life stuff / state of the world stuff is compounding it, but good lord do I not care. I think I need a career change. I've been doing "IT generalist" for way too long.

Going from IT generalist to devopsy infra engineer was the best career move I’ve made

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Going from IT generalist to devopsy infra engineer was the best career move I’ve made

Yeah, I'd really like to do this and it's something I've been talking about trying to do for years. I think if I actually got off my rear end and got an AWS cert or two it would help. My main problem is I just don't have an excuse to work with that stuff in my normal day to day.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Very similar position as you. I have a list of actual things to do but I look at them and just go "ugh, I don't even care enough to start to investigate any of these."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

today i learned that if you have a Teams group chat that has like 50 people in it and you accidentally click the call button it calls all those people :shepface:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

today i learned that if you have a Teams group chat that has like 50 people in it and you accidentally click the call button it calls all those people :shepface:

UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM THIS PHONE CALL

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Is this a new thing? We've been using teams since January, but twice last week someone called the entire company basically. First time was the Boss, second the HR lady. Neither of them ever said anything on the call or acknowledged that they did it. They may not even know!

It was the first time I've ever even heard the voice of some of the people on the call, and they've all been here a year or so at least.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I accidentally did that at 10PM one night, I meant to call one person on the Linux administrators team and called the whole team. Oops.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Wow, Microsoft has reinvented the reply all storm for the WFH generation.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Do any of the team management softwares have ways of coordinating Small Group tasks vs Large Group Tasks in different ways/styles?

You know like, 'any call over 10 people auto-mutes all on join' sort of stuff. not like as a feature to be hacked in with your implimentation, but like, awareness of small vs big collabs by default?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean....what did you expect it to do when you hit the call button on a group chat?

If you don't have teams quiet hours setup on your phone then that's your own lookout.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When I've joined larger Teams meetings with more than 10 attendees I've been auto-muted when joining

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I thought about that the other day. Why the gently caress did I take another windows network admin job. I should be writing code. Or playing with Linux.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

TheParadigm posted:

Do any of the team management softwares have ways of coordinating Small Group tasks vs Large Group Tasks in different ways/styles?

You know like, 'any call over 10 people auto-mutes all on join' sort of stuff. not like as a feature to be hacked in with your implimentation, but like, awareness of small vs big collabs by default?

I'm not sure if it's configurable or not, but my Teams pops up a little warning that there are already 4 people on the call, and mutes the mic before I join. You can manually unmute yourself if you wanna Leeeeroy in.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo, I'm on a 2 hour call where a project owner is just reading a project charter to us on a Zoom screenshare. He could have just sent this to us to review and collaborate on...fuuck this is terrible.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'm not sure if it's configurable or not, but my Teams pops up a little warning that there are already 4 people on the call, and mutes the mic before I join. You can manually unmute yourself if you wanna Leeeeroy in.

I believe the default behavior is that teams will mute you if and only if there are people already on the call. The first joiner(s) won't be auto-muted.

Despite using this many times and over thousands of meetings and having the same screen show each time, someone will still join, unmuted, and rip a fat ol' defeated sigh into their mic.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Despite using this many times and over thousands of meetings and having the same screen show each time, someone will still join, unmuted, and rip a fat ol' defeated sigh into their mic.

It's been the opposite in my experience, #5 will inevitibly join and have to be told that they're on mute. Nearly 18 months into lockdown and they still do it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I mean....what did you expect it to do when you hit the call button on a group chat?

If you don't have teams quiet hours setup on your phone then that's your own lookout.

I think the point is the button was probably accidentally pressed. Either a misclick or they thought they were in a different chat. It really should warn you and ask if you really want to call more than 4 people. We figured out that problem in Outlook long ago.

Also I think there's a key combo. I accidentally called a coworker the other day by mashing my keyboard.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Last week I pressed the "record call" in a Skype meeting out of curiosity, unaware that it shows to everybody that you clicked it, and that you cannot stop recording the call until frantically clicking it for like 10 seconds while apologizing profusely. :suicide:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i hate* the fastly API so much. Deploying via terrafrom is incredibly confusing! The VCL we are deploying via terraform and the VCL that is actually applied are quite different, and it's just a really non-intuitive setup. The extra layer of abstraction is really questionable when you already have a config as code setup. At this point, I'd rather just template in the VCL directly rather than create like half of it through terraform and half via included template files. Ugh!

*don't understand well enough

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Also I think there's a key combo. I accidentally called a coworker the other day by mashing my keyboard.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/keyboard-shortcuts-for-microsoft-teams-2e8e2a70-e8d8-4a19-949b-4c36dd5292d2

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, Ctrl+Shift+C makes sense as that's the default keybind for copying out of Greenshot's image editor. :allears:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

lol, Ctrl+Shift+C makes sense as that's the default keybind for copying out of Greenshot's image editor. :allears:

I feel like they started using darts after a bit, teams has so many features incoming without a keybind i feel i might need a steel-battalion like controller to do anything.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Backstory:

I'm trying to increase disk space on a Linux VM, LVM has not been configured and instead all of the drives are single vmdk's mounted as separate drives and listed by their UUID's in /etc/fstab. I increase the size of the vmdk, unmount the drives, expand the partition, resize the filesystem, and run an fsck just to make sure everything is ok.

running the fsck just gives pages and pages of "bad superblock" and "inode missing" and "superblock backup corrupted" and I can't remount the drives, and no amount of restoring backup superlocks or moving inodes is fixing it. so I grumble something about how it should be using LVM and go to just restore a backup of this server so it can go back into production and I can do some research and figure out another way to do this. Except I can't RDP to the backup server and I notice in the vmware console that all of the usernames are of a different format than our usual domain names. So I ask my co-worker what's up with this, he sends me a link to our password manager and the following exchange occurs:

Their entire backup infrastructure is not domain-joined. Anyone who needs access to it uses the global local admin account to make themselves a local admin account

:yikeseroo:

Between this, the lack of LVM, and a thousand other little things I'm starting to question whether this environment is actually bad or if my standards are just too high.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh thank god, we don't work at the same place. But it sounds like it came from the same school of thought. Or school of not thought. I'm not sure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, just found out our web filtering is moving a host file around

just loving kill me

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MustardFacial posted:

Backstory:

I'm trying to increase disk space on a Linux VM, LVM has not been configured and instead all of the drives are single vmdk's mounted as separate drives and listed by their UUID's in /etc/fstab. I increase the size of the vmdk, unmount the drives, expand the partition, resize the filesystem, and run an fsck just to make sure everything is ok.

running the fsck just gives pages and pages of "bad superblock" and "inode missing" and "superblock backup corrupted" and I can't remount the drives, and no amount of restoring backup superlocks or moving inodes is fixing it. so I grumble something about how it should be using LVM and go to just restore a backup of this server so it can go back into production and I can do some research and figure out another way to do this. Except I can't RDP to the backup server and I notice in the vmware console that all of the usernames are of a different format than our usual domain names. So I ask my co-worker what's up with this, he sends me a link to our password manager and the following exchange occurs:

Their entire backup infrastructure is not domain-joined. Anyone who needs access to it uses the global local admin account to make themselves a local admin account

:yikeseroo:

Between this, the lack of LVM, and a thousand other little things I'm starting to question whether this environment is actually bad or if my standards are just too high.

What the christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

So my place actually want to actually take the backup infrastructure (Veeam) off the domain and isolate it, citing the risk of things like Cryptolocker.