Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Grace Baiting posted:

Another bug report: the app's BYOB theme appears to reveal spoiler'd text (such as within this very post) at all times, with no way to hide such text! Other themes do not appear to share this bug.

I will add this to the list!

Warbird posted:

Would an active search/filter for the thread view be a possible feature add? It would be nice to quickly pick out a given thread in my bookmarks vs scrolling through and squinting. Won’t break my heart if that isn’t feasible though.

I'll add it to the list, it would be nice. As carry on then mentioned, it may take some thinking/trickery to make it useful.

Sereri posted:

Maybe we should talk to astral about getting the testusers hellbanned, and maybe trained to PI and DIY and such

I sorta enjoy the absurdity of the process, so I'm happy letting App Review roam around. But it's been offered, and if we end up in some weeks-long battle someday then it's worth a shot.

carry on then posted:

this would save pokeyman so much anguish lol

App Review's been pretty good recently! And honestly, y'all are chill enough about it that there's no pressure on me to get it out anytime soon. I might feel different if some markup change bricked the app and the fix was being held up for some bullshit, but so far so good.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just like totally hide posts from ignored users instead of seeing the “user ignored, click to see” placeholder posts.

Got it. I'll +1 it on the list!

Snowy posted:

I’ve noticed this bug that might be well known but I don’t follow the thread, so here goes: I’ve notice that when I’m in the newest page of a thread and click a quoted post to try to get to that original post, if a new post has been made in the meantime the page will just show that new post and ignores the fact that I clicked on a link to an earlier one. Even if I load previous posts then try clicking on the quoted post link again the same thing happens. That link will only work if I reload the page.

Hope that makes sense.

E- I’m on an 8 plus with latest iOS and awful test version

Took me a couple reads until it clicked (that's not your writing, it's just a complicated thing to communicate), makes sense now! I'll +1 it on the list, and I think you filled in more of the picture too.

b_d posted:

oh random feature request can we have an in-page search. not using the forums search function just searching the current page of posts you have loaded like what you could do in a web browser.

I will +1 it on the list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The app just randomly made me log in again and lost all my settings. It had been fine earlier this morning, then I switched back to the app and got the login screen and my settings were all defaults again

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pokeyman posted:

Damnation. Well, one way it could happen was fixed, with more to come!

Same here.

As an aside since ‘try logging out and in’ is a common troubleshooting thing is there a way that could not reset other app settings?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i think the SA cookie expires after a year?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

`Nemesis posted:

i think the SA cookie expires after a year?

Yeah it’s this

You should get a warning 7 days before it happens, tho I’ve never personally seen it. Something to look into

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Could anyone on beta 5.8 see if duplicate smileys are happening?

Nothing changed regarding that but it’s fine for me. Also, is “Open in YouTube” working okay? It was opening in Safari for me earlier.

I also had this weird issue this morning, but a reinstall seems to have sorted it. This should be a post content preview for a new thread, not this. Maybe I’ve just broken my phone

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi thanks for fixing the YouTube issue but another bug has cropped up for me at least.

Saying open in the YouTube app opens it in safari so it’s working the same as the open url option.

If someone else could check that would be great but that’s what I’m seeing right now on my phone.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sorry if this has been addressed repeatedly in the past but is forums search on iOS unavailable due to something intrinsic to iOS/app review or is it simply not included in the app because it would be a total bitch to code?

I ask because the Android app has forums search, janky though it may be.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's not in because no one's added it. No reason it can't be implemented, just time, priorities, and whoever wants to do it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Cool thanks, I lack the skillset to contribute tho I appreciate the app, it’s quite nice on iOS

especially love dat :ghost: icon

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Search was examined, but the only workable solution found just always returned a list of my posts and that was too cruel a punishment to inflict on folks.

MarcusSA posted:

Hi thanks for fixing the YouTube issue but another bug has cropped up for me at least.

Saying open in the YouTube app opens it in safari so it’s working the same as the open url option.

If someone else could check that would be great but that’s what I’m seeing right now on my phone.

Getting that too, but with chrome. Looks like it’s using whatever default browser the system has designated. That’s odd.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hacked on a search thing that tried to create a synthetic posts view out of each page of the search results, and it did not go especially well. That likely says more about me than about the approach, though.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I hacked on a search thing that tried to create a synthetic posts view out of each page of the search results, and it did not go especially well. That likely says more about me than about the approach, though.

If the template was the tricky part, I’ve been playing with swift-html and it’s quite good

https://github.com/pointfreeco/swift-html

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Re: Open in YouTube

Try switching your phone off and on again. Worked for me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

commie kong posted:

Re: Open in YouTube

Try switching your phone off and on again. Worked for me

That did not work for me.

I was laughing though that it might have worked.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

a thousand years from now whenever the arkship AI bugs out and starts killing people the first solution will still be to turn it off and turn it back on again

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

MarcusSA posted:

Same, still having the issue after restarting my phone and confirming the open in YouTube setting was checked.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

God that’s annoying. I was laughing that it worked but didn’t post my lols just in case it didn’t work for others.

I do think it’s iOS tho.

iOSPOS

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It used to be fixable by clicking the banner on Safari that invited you to open it in the app but those don't show up very often anymore so iunno

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

i've been having this issue for the past few days clicking on any youtube link from anywhere. haven't even tried it in the app. sounds like something got hosed up with youtube's ios integration somehow.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

b_d posted:

i've been having this issue for the past few days clicking on any youtube link from anywhere. haven't even tried it in the app. sounds like something got hosed up with youtube's ios integration somehow.

:same:

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I had embedded tweets also opening in Safari. But a power cycle sorted that and YouTube.

I am on ios15 tho.

If anyone DOES have success with the power cycle, please post. Save me :v:

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Jose Valasquez posted:

The app just randomly made me log in again and lost all my settings. It had been fine earlier this morning, then I switched back to the app and got the login screen and my settings were all defaults again

This also happened to me. Strange coincidence maybe? On the most recent ios 15 beta

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i tried restarting and still have the same issue, youtube links just stay in/go to safari.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yeah happened to me this afternoon for no apparent reason. Trying to remember my ultra secure password Lowtax made everyone set up ten years ago was fun

Awful v 5.8

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 5, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Happy cookie expiry anniversary, everyone

See you next year :v:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
took me a few hours to figure out why my password wasnt working on the app. forgot my name got changed on here :sweatdrop:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

not quite related to the problem of youtube links opening in the browser, but:

b_d posted:

oh also this has been talked about before but when you use the share button on youtube it gives you a youtu.be url. if you paste this into your post on the app then it will appear to embed the video, because the app translates those links. but in the website it's just a link. it's pretty simple to edit it to a [video] tag to make it embed everywhere so maybe the app should do that when you paste one.

i just discovered that if you use the pop up menu to select [video] and choose paste it will paste as a whole rear end regular youtube url, which works as desired in a video tag. if you paste regular style then it's still a youtu.be. kind of weird but nice to know i so don't have to bother doing any kind of manual editing.

edit: also i just did long press open in youtube in the app and it opened it in the fuckin youtube app so i don't know what's going on anymore. everything is dandy i guess.

big deal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 5, 2021

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The whole iOS system for opening regular http(s) URLs in native apps has always been weird and confusing.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

b_d posted:

edit: also i just did long press open in youtube in the app and it opened it in the fuckin youtube app so i don't know what's going on anymore. everything is dandy i guess.

:glomp:

Universal links do seem to be flaky as poo poo. I couldn’t see how I could have broken them with what I’d changed, but I was certainly worried about it. Thank you

So this weekend I’ll have a go at improving pasting any kind of YouTube link as properly converted video tags, regardless of whether that little menu tree is used or not.

Also will have a look at text search within the page. I saw an api available for that

And hopefully there’s a way to improve reliability of universal links.

Keeps me occupied during lockdown :)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

commie kong posted:

Happy cookie expiry anniversary, everyone

See you next year :v:

If it had just made me log in again I would have shrugged and moved on, but losing all the settings threw me off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The YouTube links thing is not an awful app thing, it’s an iOS thing. It will be broken until it’s not. It’s super inconsistent on when it will work or when it won’t. Incidentally I did not reboot my phone and open on YouTube opens in the YouTube app.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Jose Valasquez posted:

If it had just made me log in again I would have shrugged and moved on, but losing all the settings threw me off.

Yeah agree, there is a GitHub issue for that. Was teasing a bit since we discussed it very recently

Should probs put those settings in ~the cloud~

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I get having to log back in but why does it reset all the settings? :confused:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
tapping into twitter embeds just started showing me a login page, couldn't see a way to bypass that. i'm sure that's a twitter thing, but i figure it is worth mentioning.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Tenkaris posted:

Radium?

Edit: i know that’s not the answer. Curious about this too

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 7, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi

YouTube seems to be working again lol

Nothing changed on my end.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Tenkaris posted:

I dunno, but it has done it since at least 2016.

I think we should have three options:

Empty cache
- Clears wkwebview cache, which is basically browser cache and includes downloaded images, videos, etc. Last time I checked on this, it wasn't thorough and if your app is taking up lots of space atm, this is why. (I think the cache folder location changed over the years and the APIs called to perform resets do not empty it)
- Clears local storage (threads, posts, users, etc) by deleting the database. The database will be recreated and work just fine afterwards, but I believe this is partly what causes crashing while logging in. (I also think the login screen, 1pass extension and keyboard code contributes)

Full reset
- This is a new option that I could add. It would empty cache, delete your cookie and reset settings/preferences.

Log out
- This currently does what my proposed "Full reset" does.
- The change here would be to have this option delete your cookie (which prompts for login) and nothing more.

The new option seems simple enough and it's timely to work on this, so I'll head into the xcode mines right now :)

Fixing the other issues I've mentioned... I have partial fixes already, but end up going down rabbit holes trying to add recent OS API improvements to legacy code. So will stick to small fixes for now lol

e: I have done this

commie kong fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 7, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Test

https://youtu.be/iEV9kcnKFmE

E - Still opens the browser for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAbGfOoxz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLqWO5rV-UY

EE- Well that’s strange. All open to browser on long press, but thankfully play in the app itself via normal activation. iOS is dumb.

EEE- Reatart and relog don’t appear to have done anything of note.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That plays back in the app for me. It only opens up in the browser if I click the title rather than the play button.