Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ahobday posted:

Hello I'm looking for the following:
+ Regular, good fight/action scenes
+ People with powers, or mechs
+ Light-hearted-ish
+ Ideally something with compilation movies available if it's long

Things I'd like to avoid:
– Characters screaming about their problems constantly
– Filler. I realise this rules out the majority of famous anime with good fight scenes

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord
✓ Loads of others I probably forget. I'll edit this list as people suggest things I've seen

Appare-Ranman!

Kemono Jihen

Pokemon Sun & Moon and/or Journeys, they're both great, and there's also the short series on youtube, Twilight Wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I'm looking for anime to watch with my mom. She likes shows that are kind & fairytale-like, with a focus on strong, charming characterwork, and enjoyed Land of the Lustrous, Princess Tutu, and Place Further than the Universe, while finding Mushishi morose & lacking in the character department. What are some shows that would come to mind as being sweet fairytales, or in that general register?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

natsume's book of friends seems like it would fit that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe Aria?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terry van Feleday posted:

I'm looking for anime to watch with my mom. She likes shows that are kind & fairytale-like, with a focus on strong, charming characterwork, and enjoyed Land of the Lustrous, Princess Tutu, and Place Further than the Universe, while finding Mushishi morose & lacking in the character department. What are some shows that would come to mind as being sweet fairytales, or in that general register?

Outside bet, but maybe Mob Psycho 100 or Future Boy Conan?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Aria would be good. Tsuritama maybe?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kyousougiga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Somali and the Forest Spirit

Dunno if Flying Witch, Witchcraft Works, or Little Witch necessarily fit, but might be worth a look into.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot Faraway Paladin and Otherworldy Pharmacy which are getting anime soon as well as Duke of Death and His Black Maid and Sleeping Princess in the Demon Lord's Castle.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 7, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Hakumei to Mikochi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Restaurant to Another World.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

snow white with the red hair, about a girl working as a herbalist in a fantasy kingdom. very character focused, lots of romance, aimed at young women so no fanservice or weirdness or anything. only thing is that as mentioned it is pretty romance focused/reverse harem-y, but it does a good job establishing the characters

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

doomrider7 posted:

Dunno if Flying Witch, Witchcraft Works, or Little Witch necessarily fit, but might be worth a look into.

I think Little Witch Academia (TV) is a great rec here, even though it's more of an episodic kids show than the other shows that OP's mom enjoyed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mentat Radnor posted:

I think Little Witch Academia (TV) is a great rec here, even though it's more of an episodic kids show than the other shows that OP's mom enjoyed.

Yeah I wasn't sure, but it's a great series as are the other two.

I edited my previous post to add

Faraway Paladin

Otherworldy Pharmacy

Duke of Death and his Black Maid

Interview With Monster Girls

Not an anime(yet, someday...), but Witch Hat Atelier is absolutely amazing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm expecting Faraway Paladin to be a great show but it won't be out til October iirc, just in case OP goes looking and can't find it.

The Eccentric Family might be another one to add to your list. Also seconding Snow White with the Red Hair, and if she happens to like that and wants something with kind of a similar feeling, you might try The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (not quite as good unfortunately but it's very pretty and has some fun characters and it's a pleasant and kind of relaxing show to watch).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Is there any fantasy anime with excellent environmental art in natural environments? I'm thinking the sorts of the background art you see in Ghibli films like Mononoke and Totoro. I'm hankering for something peaceful and funny.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 8, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Non non Biyori has beautiful pastoral background art

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah it's not fantasy but Non Non Biyori is the ultimate pretty backgrounds + comedy anime

for fantasy Mushishi and Moribito are the two that come to mind but neither is funny

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I am watching Non Non Biyori and I love it already. A follow-up recommendation request:

What's the anime that made you laugh out loud the most?

If it's wholesome humour like Non Non Biyori, all the better.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ahobday posted:

I am watching Non Non Biyori and I love it already. A follow-up recommendation request:

Amagi Brilliant Park is one of the funniest anime I've watched. Granted, I'm still an anime noob and haven't really watched too much out there, but I'd recommend it for a good laugh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ahobday posted:

Is there any fantasy anime with excellent environmental art in natural environments? I'm thinking the sorts of the background art you see in Ghibli films like Mononoke and Totoro. I'm hankering for something peaceful and funny.

Mushishi is what you need.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

ahobday posted:

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

ahobday posted:

Nichijou and Hinamatsuri are both hilarious and extremely wholesome.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Handa-kun but you have to skip the first episode

don't ask questions just skip it

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mushishi is what you need.

I had to stop half way through Mushishj because it was making me depressed. Very beautiful, though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
S1 of Osomatsu-san is the only time I had to pause an anime because I was laughing too hard to watch it (also the only time I rewatched the same joke over and over)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ahobday posted:

Certain episodes of Polar Bear Cafe made my wife literally roll on the floor laughing. Also quite wholesome.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ahobday posted:

Flying Witch

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ahobday posted:

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash doesn't meet the "peaceful and funny" part, and the most standout art had buildings in it, but the backgrounds were spectacular.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Looking for a good romcom or romantic drama series to watch with my girlfriend. She enjoyed Your Name quite a bit but I haven’t been able to hook her with anything else. Figure a 1-2 cour series would be fun if we can settle on something she likes, but there’s a lot of stuff to comb through.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Your lie in april.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

JahRoo posted:

Looking for a good romcom or romantic drama series to watch with my girlfriend. She enjoyed Your Name quite a bit but I haven’t been able to hook her with anything else. Figure a 1-2 cour series would be fun if we can settle on something she likes, but there’s a lot of stuff to comb through.

Josee, the Tiger and the Fish. Not a tv series but it's a pretty good movie that might be a good fit for what you're looking for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JahRoo posted:

Kaguya-sama: Love is War should do the trick.

Alternatively if you want a similar tone to Your Name; Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. It's not as trashy as it sounds, it's really good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you just want your name but again there's weathering with you

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

JahRoo posted:

Toradora, one of the greatest anime romcoms of all time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Wotakoi. It's about adult nerds who start dating.

Science Fell in Love and Tried to Prove It. Math science nerds fall in love and try to device a scientific proof to prove said love.

Lovely Complex is an iconic classic and frankly THE DEFINITIVE HS romcom.

Kimi ni Todoke is about the unpopular girl who looks like Sadako from The Ring becoming friends and later dating the schools most popular guy and making friends.

My Love Story is amazing. I have no words to describe except that the MC Takeo Gouda is the Alpha Giga Chad all men should strive to be.

Restaurant Paradiso I recall hearing good things about as well.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

AnoHito posted:

Toradora, one of the greatest anime romcoms of all time.

I'll also back Toradora. I don't usually like the genre, but Toradora got both laughs and tears out of me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For a romcom I would recommend Gamers. The very first episode looks very generic up until the end but then it starts doing its own thing which is a lot of fun to watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering the avalanche of high school setting shows I'm curious if theres any notable anime or manga out there that are set in high schools but are also set outside of Japan. It would either be neat to see their take on public education in other countries or it could be really really funny seeing every school primmed up like a private catholic boarding school.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Further to that, I'm interested in reading more manga set outside of Japan, preferably post-highschool and modernish day rather than historical
Things I've read/watched already:
* Pretty much all of Naoki Urasawa's series that are set in Europe
* Zero: Man of Creation
* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering the avalanche of high school setting shows I'm curious if theres any notable anime or manga out there that are set in high schools but are also set outside of Japan. It would either be neat to see their take on public education in other countries or it could be really really funny seeing every school primmed up like a private catholic boarding school.

There is Heroman. Don't watch Heroman.