Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I had lost all interest in Gundam after Seed Destiny and got back into it because of Gundam Thunderbolt - so I'd suggest that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZQfVhbdxFw

yo this song fuckin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Goon Boots posted:

Because the show is so heavily tied to a political world, I think that's just the show being "realistic" (for lack of a better term) with mundane payoffs, e.g. the big bad guy isn't revealed until late in the season and we only see him for about 10 seconds as he is arrested and he just some fat, old politican and we also find out the Laughing Man isn't even the "original" Laughing Man since he got his ideas from a piece of blackmail he found while wandering the net.

If you generally liked the first season, then you will probably like the second season. The second season covers similar ground as the first, but with different viewpoints. The only negative I can really remember is that some of the episodes lack enough exposition to figure out the finer details of why characters are acting a certain way and what the implications of their actions are, but then again complete understanding of the world in Ghost in the Shell was never required to enjoy it.

Yeah most everything you need to know about the world is presented in the show. It’s just presented diegetically and most of the characters probably learned it in school or experienced it first hand so they tend to move very quick. The show has a whole lot of blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moments that really reward a rewatch. The show also assumes you probably remember ever minor character’s face and name, though you definitely don’t have too. There aren’t really faceless nobody characters in the show.

Edit: As opposed to UC Gundam, which is like Metal Gear Solid in how there are super important events that the audience should really know about that happen before and between entries in the series that are only vaguely explained in the entries themselves. It’s on Hulu now, but before Gundam: The Origin came out I don’t think e.g. Zeon Deikun, Minovksy, etc. actually appear in any of the other series. “The One Year War” is like half over by the time the original Mobile Suit Gundam actually starts.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Aug 4, 2021

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

JT Jag posted:

It’s a live performance by anime voice actors in character, same thing

ito’s cat diary is really funny

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
IBO is on Netflix so I'm watching that.
Kenshin wasn't an anime but a live action movie so I don't know when I'll watch that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

Edit: As opposed to UC Gundam, which is like Metal Gear Solid in how there are super important events that the audience should really know about that happen before and between entries in the series that are only vaguely explained in the entries themselves. It’s on Hulu now, but before Gundam: The Origin came out I don’t think e.g. Zeon Deikun, Minovksy, etc. actually appear in any of the other series. “The One Year War” is like half over by the time the original Mobile Suit Gundam actually starts.

More like Tomino wanted to be an author so he just wrote a book where he explained the whole plot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
https://twitter.com/SpoofyHype/status/1422665471711748099?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Quess really is the dumbest character in any Gundam, but it works because she's 13.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Char never told anyone to read theory.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If you, like me, have taken up the sisyphean task of reading all transgender manga, don't sleep on "boys run the riot," a new manga series by a trans author and translated by an enby. It's about a closeted trans man who starts a clothing company and has very good vibes so far. It's most close to our dreams at dusk in mood, despite being very different plot, character, and style-wise.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hasn't been mentioned much but Sonny Boy is pretty good. 4 episodes out so far so you could catch up quickly.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Srice posted:

They announced a Pluto anime years ago. They've been completely silent since that announcement, but I have faith it will appear someday.

whenever I see your av I see this now

https://twitter.com/thecumwizard/status/1420578497219678208?s=20

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

wow, this was 10 years ago lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

tokin opposition posted:

If you, like me, have taken up the sisyphean task of reading all transgender manga, don't sleep on "boys run the riot," a new manga series by a trans author and translated by an enby. It's about a closeted trans man who starts a clothing company and has very good vibes so far. It's most close to our dreams at dusk in mood, despite being very different plot, character, and style-wise.

Very strongly seconding this. A lot of LGBT fiction manga I've read has mostly LGBT casts, usually because its a romance or the author wants to show a diversity of people. Boys Run The Riot is about a straight trans man and his friends who are mostly straight cis men. Which gives it a very different vibe from most LGBT manga. It's very specifically about the life and inner struggle of the main character, but it's reinforced by the other characters which makes the manga as a whole about asserting masculinity in general. The series is a celebration of positive transgressive masculinity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everyone fawning over Iron Blooded Orphans left out how one of the main characters is named Biscuit and his sisters are Cookie And Cracker. And, lol, you can tell who's evil in his family because his older brother has a normal namel.

E: Also nice touch that the map has a big hole in Australia where they dropped a colony, but points deducted for thinking Canada wouldn't be in the American bloc of influence.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

E: Also nice touch that the map has a big hole in Australia where they dropped a colony, but points deducted for thinking Canada wouldn't be in the American bloc of influence.

Gundam is crazy like that.

I decided to look at the map of Gundam 00, and some hosed up poo poo must have happened. Everything west of the Urals got annexed into the EU, which is probably a potentialy more disastrous outcome than Soviet Union losing WWII.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
doesnt one of the iron blooded orphans cours include a weirdly accurate depiction of edmonton

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/comments/4bao5h/edmonton_in_gundam_ironblooded_orphans/

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Aug 7, 2021

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
make a gundam stomp through west edmonton mall

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Everyone fawning over Iron Blooded Orphans left out how one of the main characters is named Biscuit and his sisters are Cookie And Cracker. And, lol, you can tell who's evil in his family because his older brother has a normal namel.

A savarin is a type of syrupy cake. The older brother is wholly on-brand.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Darth Walrus posted:

A savarin is a type of syrupy cake. The older brother is wholly on-brand.

lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I finished season 1 of IBO and I must say Cordilla is making everyone go through so much, deaths, Gundam on Gundam vioence and she finally fulfilled her dream: She deregulated hafmetals.
That is my Revolution!

E: Oh cool Netflix has season 2, and if someone says Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Join Fleet one more loving time I swear to god...

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Aug 7, 2021

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

“Cookie, Cracker, & Biscuit” are practically normal names compared to the dumber, crazier Gundam names. Gundam 00 has “Bring Stabbity” :ese: . Unicorn has “Full Frontal.” Just absolutely terrible.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr.bushido

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Brave Cod.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hallelujah Baptism

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

OxMan posted:

Hallelujah Baptism

You mean Allelujah Haptism.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Gripweed posted:

You mean Allelujah Haptism.

Gundam 00 has so much ridiculousness.
You have Allelujah Haptism and his alter-ego Hallelujah Haptism, but you also have Nyle Delandy and his identical twin brother Lyle Delandy. That’s like four characters for the price of two!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Discotek made their latest announcements at Otakon and they got some interesting stuff, but I'm glad to finally see the third collection of Hajime no Ippo coming in October

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1424145749764308995?s=19

Took their sweet time with it, though, jfc, first two sets were out within weeks of each other :psyduck:

I'm still hopeful they can rescue Monster and put the whole thing out

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The poster who gave up on IBO because they were going to become Martian Kings missed how the series has just decided to become Evangelion. They awoke the Angel, Gundams are literally Evas, and it turns out after the first impact they finally managed to mass produce Jet Alones to make regular Moble Suits. Everyone hated depressed Shinji? What about psycopath Shinji who wants to pilot the robot?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

the face of a 10yo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

She's written like an adult anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's written like the anti-christ.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she's written like the anti-christ.

this is how you write the antichrist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwZIqbRnN4&t=208s

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
got trolled big time by this tweet. unironically mad at a bit

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1424878643587788804

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i thought my chrome was messing up the playback at first

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Im gonna start watching JoJo again for Jolyne's VA

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gripweed posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Gripweed posted:

*nods in gay* same