Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Boinks posted:

She's The One is in my Tom Petty section, also I've listened to that soundtrack hundreds of times across 3 formats and have never seen the movie.

Same, same and same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp I'm over the event horizon I bought a gimmick record:

https://enjoytheriderecords.com/col...=40409554256064

(Limited repress of Cybertronic Spree covering the Transformer 86 soundtrack.)

edit: lol no one wants the fusion blast variant, as that's all that's left now.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 6, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/13/music-fans-pushed-sales-of-vinyl-albums-higher-in-first-half-of-2021.html

quote:

That trend is continuing in 2021. The number of vinyl LPs sold rose 108% in the first six months of the year, up from 9.2 million during the same period in 2020.

trend is here to stay I guess.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

"The top-selling vinyl albums at the midyear point are Taylor Swift’s “Evermore,” Harry Styles’ “Fine Line,” Kendrick Lamar’s “Good Kid M.A.A.D. City” and Billie Eilish’s “When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”"

Mmmmmmm yes these are the people that are buying vinyl nowadays.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im sure they all sound great on the wall.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I bought evermore! It sounds fine

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The blue-color pressing of When We All Fall Asleep has some DEEP bass.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is Hell. I'm in Hell.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Sorry to pile on to your personal Hell, but I grabbed this on vinyl just now. :yeah:

2007 should not feel like this long ago!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Thom P. Tiers posted:

"The top-selling vinyl albums at the midyear point are Taylor Swift’s “Evermore,” Harry Styles’ “Fine Line,” Kendrick Lamar’s “Good Kid M.A.A.D. City” and Billie Eilish’s “When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”"

Mmmmmmm yes these are the people that are buying vinyl nowadays.

Don’t be a grump! Those are pretty good albums! I haven’t gotten it yet but definitely intend to pick up that Harry Styles album on vinyl eventually, one of the best albums of 2019!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Read After Burning posted:

Sorry to pile on to your personal Hell, but I grabbed this on vinyl just now. :yeah:

My wife loves the poo poo out of Jedi Mind Tricks/Army of the Pharaohs. Assuming you didn't overpay, that's a good grab.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Don’t be a grump! Those are pretty good albums! I haven’t gotten it yet but definitely intend to pick up that Harry Styles album on vinyl eventually, one of the best albums of 2019!

I'm okay with it as long as it's not the Urban Outfitters variants of those albums.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
kinda surprised GKMC is so high selling. looks like there was a clear 2019 reprint that everyone says sucked, but I guess there's still copies left from like a 2012 pressing which is wild? might just buy this, wouldn't have guessed it'd be cheap/available https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kendrick-Lamar-Good-Kid-M-A-A-D-City-Vinyl/34435736

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ballz posted:

My wife loves the poo poo out of Jedi Mind Tricks/Army of the Pharaohs. Assuming you didn't overpay, that's a good grab.

Looks like it was a reprint from ~2018...I got it for standard vinyl price ($30 or so).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh, in news no one cares about my final wave of poo poo came in, this time from ebay:

I now have everything Temples relates except for the remix album. I didn't like the snippets I've heard of it, so I didn't bother. And in mildy more interesting things:

This thrift store copy of Wild Cherry gave birth to a Hall and Oates single!

I didn't look deep inside the sleeve when buying it, just pulled out the Wild Cherry record to see the condition. Had no clue Hall and Oates was in it too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

abraham linksys posted:

kinda surprised GKMC is so high selling. looks like there was a clear 2019 reprint that everyone says sucked, but I guess there's still copies left from like a 2012 pressing which is wild? might just buy this, wouldn't have guessed it'd be cheap/available https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kendrick-Lamar-Good-Kid-M-A-A-D-City-Vinyl/34435736

I would always see that for super cheap last year. Or maybe I was mixing it up with The Black Keys El Camino album.

Oh yeah. Portland goons. Gonna be playing some vinyls over at Prospector Records next Thurs. from 5-7pm. Come check it out. It's a cool little shop.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Read After Burning posted:

Owned Legacy Of Blood on vinyl once.

Clear yellow. Terrible pressing. Gave it away to a friend (who got me into Jedi Mind Tricks in the first place]).

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

sporklift posted:

Oh yeah. Portland goons. Gonna be playing some vinyls over at Prospector Records next Thurs. from 5-7pm. Come check it out. It's a cool little shop.

It is a cool little shop. I will try to leave my house.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Owned Legacy Of Blood on vinyl once.

Clear yellow. Terrible pressing. Gave it away to a friend (who got me into Jedi Mind Tricks in the first place]).

Fingers crossed this one sounds better.

On a completely different vibe, I got these; black gospel from Memphis, TN in the late 60s.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7826-the-last-shall-be-first-the-jcr-records-story-vol-1

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7827-the-last-shall-be-first-the-jcr-records-story-vol-2

marjorie
May 4, 2014

sporklift posted:

That's on Foster, right? I've been meaning to check it out; I'll try to make it there that day.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hell, even my oldschool record dealer who's way on the outskirts of town ordered Billie EIlish in. I cannot overstate how uninviting both the area and the store must look to the kids who are into her.

I was in browsing when he unpacked it and said "well let's see what this is all about then" :v:

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Got my copy of Frances The Mute yesterday, and from the get go the package was pretty obviously bent which is a bummer on something like this. Then I found a pressing defect on Side D, and now I get to wait until the weekdays to hear back from Cloud Hill. My copy of Deloused arrived without any issues, so I'm hoping this is just a one-off, just a blow for one of my favorite albums of that time. Spin your perfect copies for me goons.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Lord Rupert posted:

Got my copy of Frances The Mute yesterday, and from the get go the package was pretty obviously bent which is a bummer on something like this. Then I found a pressing defect on Side D, and now I get to wait until the weekdays to hear back from Cloud Hill. My copy of Deloused arrived without any issues, so I'm hoping this is just a one-off, just a blow for one of my favorite albums of that time. Spin your perfect copies for me goons.

i was about to post about this

the first 20 seconds sounded like horseshit but 20 mins in and im dancing like its the mid oughts

lfggggg

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm okay with it as long as it's not the Urban Outfitters variants of those albums.
Non UO repress of Tierra Whack's Whack World when?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
after almost a decade of turntable ownership I finally took the plunge on a cartridge upgrade (just an ortofon 2m red) and had it set up by someone who actually knows what they're doing. my god it sounds good. i can't wait to spend shitloads more money on these stupid plastic discs

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The mood was right this morning and I played Warren Zevon’s Preludes. A solid collection of basement piano case tapes, it was perfect. Glad I got it.

strap on revenge posted:

after almost a decade of turntable ownership I finally took the plunge on a cartridge upgrade (just an ortofon 2m red) and had it set up by someone who actually knows what they're doing. my god it sounds good. i can't wait to spend shitloads more money on these stupid plastic discs

Feels good man. :hfive:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

The mood was right this morning and I played Warren Zevon’s Preludes. A solid collection of basement piano case tapes, it was perfect. Glad I got it.

Yeah that’s a cool record. He was such a talent. I remember liking the version of the French inhaler on it. And the accidentally like a martyr is weird and cool too.

Asylum had so many great singer songwriters but it’s hard not to put zevon right up at the top.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

some free codes

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

dorium posted:

some free codes

I grabbed the Nicolas Jaar code. Thank you.

And thank you for reminding me to pull An Odd Entrances out of the bin. That album is great.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Finally received my OMC How Bizarre single in the mail. The dance mixes are loving awful and they completely trampled on the spirit of the single; they don't use any part of the original except for the chorus vocals chopped up.

The Sunburned Hand of the Man shirt is real nice though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anybody who’s a 3rd man vault subscriber and doesn’t give a poo poo about the dylan set let me know. I would buy it in a minute. I know 80s Dylan isn’t everyone’s cup of tea

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BigFactory posted:

Anybody who’s a 3rd man vault subscriber and doesn’t give a poo poo about the dylan set let me know. I would buy it in a minute. I know 80s Dylan isn’t everyone’s cup of tea

Oh look, it’s my hero

I forgot to cancel before the renewal date and was wondering how I was gonna get rid of this thing. HMU in yonder PMs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

Oh look, it’s my hero

I forgot to cancel before the renewal date and was wondering how I was gonna get rid of this thing. HMU in yonder PMs

Pm sent! That’s awesome. Can’t wait to hear songs that weren’t good enough to get on Empire Burlesque

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I purchased the AT-LP 120-USB quite a few years back now and I was looking to grab an extra Stylus or 2 to keep on hand just in case I need them. The original model that I have seems to be discontinued and I'm struggling to find a stylus that's under 70 bucks basically and I'm curious if there is a better option on Amazon or whatever that I am just missing.

Thanks

edit:
Looks like in 2019 I bought a AT95E and I can grab those for 49 bucks....this post may be for nothing.....

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I purchased the AT-LP 120-USB quite a few years back now and I was looking to grab an extra Stylus or 2 to keep on hand just in case I need them. The original model that I have seems to be discontinued and I'm struggling to find a stylus that's under 70 bucks basically and I'm curious if there is a better option on Amazon or whatever that I am just missing.

Thanks

edit:
Looks like in 2019 I bought a AT95E and I can grab those for 49 bucks....this post may be for nothing.....

It's kind of absurd that replacement AT95E styli are $50 bucks when the standard price for the whole cartridge in 2017 was $39. Maybe now isn't the best time to be buying spares?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

wa27 posted:

It's kind of absurd that replacement AT95E styli are $50 bucks when the standard price for the whole cartridge in 2017 was $39. Maybe now isn't the best time to be buying spares?

Yeah it's kinda blowing me away because I swear I bought mine for cheaper then that and it came with like a record cleaner thing. Meh.

Spinning some Garth Brooks today before changing gears to Daft Punk and Chicago. Need to find some new records to buy lol

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

wa27 posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't look at the price of a Shure M97XE.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Barry posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't look at the price of a Shure M97XE.

Hahaha uhhh what. I bought two of these back in the early 2010s for $55 each. I never really liked them (i had bad inner groove distortion with them) so imagining spending like $200-$300 on one is crazy. That’s how much my MP200 was and it’s actually a good needle!!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
My old roommate works for Shure so when they were going out of production I got him to order me one (for like $30) just to be able to try it out at some point. I made the mistake of opening the shrink wrap but I haven't otherwise touched it, definitely going to eBay that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Man I guess I'm lucky I have the original and a spare of the Shure V15 type III that came with my turntable in 1978. I don't run it because getting needles is a pain, although it is super bright sound wise. I'm running an Ortofon red for now but should look into which carts have better bass response/are lighter weight. The auto start doesnt like the heavy cart that is the red.