Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MareNextDoor/status/1423758652339490819

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Tochiazuma posted:

As opposed to this team which clearly has no regard for their young lives as they place themselves in Tesla's sights:

At first I thought this was a Humboldt Broncos reference

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Q: Do make sure you return it in one piece this time, 007.

007:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fire Tyrepedos!

Confirmed hits sir!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cojawfee posted:

Did someone say kerosene and gasoline torches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_qFWoa_HR4

I don't really agree with his take. He seems to think that people prefer kerosene because it's cheaper and he doesn't like it because it's hard to use. The actual reason I personally prefer kerosene is because gasoline is a gigantic loving fire and explosion hazard and kerosene... isn't. I have a kerosene stove from the 1970's in my boat; it works perfectly. Yes, it takes training to use it and it takes guests a while to get used to it, but it's fundamentally not very dangerous (as far as any open flame can reasonably ever be). If you try to ignite the burner before it's hot enough, then sure, it goes WOOSH and spits out a tall yellow flame, but unless you're sticking your face into the nozzle that's harmless. It's got built in kerosene-burning blowtorch preheaters too so you don't need to mess around with alcohol.

One of the main problems with these stoves and lamps is the fuel handling - you've got bottles and funnels and awkards positions and you inevitably end up with spills. With gasoline (and alcohol) you really have to take those seriously because of the vapors. Kerosene you just wipe up, it smells but is otherwise quite harmless. You can put a lit match in a cup of kerosene and it'll just go out. Even if the worst should happen and pressurized kerosene sprays everywhere I don't think that's actually going to cause a huge fireball, while gasoline absolutely would.

Kerosene is safer than propane too, at least in boats - with propane you have to be extremely rigorous about replacing all hoses and fittings every few years because if you get a leak of a volatile heavier than air gas in a confined space that's no loving joke. It still kills people on a somewhat regular basis. People want it for the convenience though, but I'll stick to kerosene as long as this stove works. It's the best option in cold weather too.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 7, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheFluff posted:

I don't really agree with his take. He seems to think that people prefer kerosene because it's cheaper and he doesn't like it because it's hard to use. The actual reason I personally prefer kerosene is because gasoline is a gigantic loving fire and explosion hazard and kerosene... isn't. I have a kerosene stove from the 1970's in my boat; it works perfectly. Yes, it takes training to use it and it takes guests a while to get used to it, but it's fundamentally not very dangerous (as far as any open flame can reasonably ever be). If you try to ignite the burner before it's hot enough, then sure, it goes WOOSH and spits out a tall yellow flame, but unless you're sticking your face into the nozzle that's harmless. It's got built in kerosene-burning blowtorch preheaters too so you don't need to mess around with alcohol.

He’s learning as he goes. He does tacitly admit that kerosene is safer at several points, and that it stores better than gasoline or batteries.

He’s going about this backwards, which is to be expected given that he started with an interest in lighting. The process would have made more sense and involved fewer mishaps if he’d been familiar with a kerosene stove, or even a blow torch.

Aside from not involving fragile glass or mantles, a major convenience is that these can often be started on kerosene. There’s a wick in the priming cup that allows it. I think the lanterns lack this because the sooty flame would mess up the glass. Some kerosene stoves use the heat of combustion to sustain pressure, which may be less safe than the hand pump solution, but it sure is convenient.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tHWmIzn.mp4

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1423726276037255168

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Found this on my uncle-in-laws electrical meter. Not sure if he's taking the piss, or if there's something we should be worried about.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Something caught my eye in this photo of the 390 feet tall SpaceX Starship.

Is... that a boom lift more than halfway up there? So like, 250 feet or so?

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Russians simply free climbed their rockets.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Imagined posted:

Something caught my eye in this photo of the 390 feet tall SpaceX Starship.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

It's OK. The arm retracts before launch.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

empty baggie posted:

What's even better/worse, if you skip or fail a test while driving, the interlock device will start honking the horn and flashing the lights until you stop, and THEN it won't let you drive anymore. Plus, if a cop pulls you over because your cars' alarm is going off, you're going to have to explain to the officer what's going on, and that's not going to be a good time.

Depends on state, some require it, some don't require, some forbid it from behaving like this.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah they're about the best solution we have to the cultural issue of blasé attitudes towards drunk driving and the structural issue of the US having like no real public transit to speak of anywhere except bigger cities and communities being organized/planned around driving everywhere.

If the quality of the electronics in my '14 Ford product is any indication towards how well these things would work if they were just in every vehicle then I... wouldn't want that. My stupid little infotainment system tends to go into a bootloop for a few minutes every once in a while when temperatures drop below 30F and the car has been sitting outside.

One thing is NHTSA regulates them and is more strict than they used to be, which is really good and important.

But there's movement away from the traditional interlock system towards attaching to the same bus the car's important computers are all on, and that could end up being fully hosed up if not done correctly. I don't know that this is in any way regulated.

One bad thing is the states have a deranged morass of poorly designed laws and procedures.

The another systematic problem is that there's a profit motive at all -- everyone is trying to extract cash out of every part of the process. It's hosed up and directly comparable to the house arrest system.

Many companies involved with this are also involved with both. Iirc there's at least one massive international "security" conglomerate also in the industry. So like with the private prison system there is a motivation to lobby for laws that produce profitable offenses, not laws and policies that minimize the damage in the first place.

The very idea of these things being factory standard is insane because they require pretty regular maintenence. Even if it was in for a while doing nothing before getting activated it could be totally out of calibration and reading dead rear end wrong. But it would be an incredible payday for a company big enough to partner with a vehicle manufacturer.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

It's OK. The arm retracts before launch.

You'd hope they'd retract the rest of their bodies too :rimshot:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Ford is working on the Tesla killer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4T0_SqQPyc

Motherfucker making he "revolutionary camouflage bricks in Microsoft Powerpoint.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I wish you guys would make a tesla/self-driving thread because unless it's a workplace issue at the factory or something it's really off topic and done to death

:five:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the more I think about it the more the idea of preinstalling breathalizers in new cars is the ultimate holy grail.

You have a set of requirements for the equipment that's pretty much this:
Get and record reliable timestamped info about the state of the vehicle. Driver is attempting to start, the vehicle is running or not etc.
Show information to the driver about their test, notify them that they need to take a test, etc.
Securely store and communicate this info to your database + get any additional info like pic of the driver, etc.
Prevent the engine from starting except in xyz condition.

If you were partnered with the manufacturer almost all of this is already taken care of. New cars have their own screens and poo poo. They have their own gps and clock which means you have reliable date and time info. They can transmit data through onstar or whatever. You have an insanely huge preinstalled user base.

You just have to wait for the dui's to roll in, and you can tack on an extremely reduced test taking apparatus + camera, it would be like how deep sea anglerfish males are a reduced parasitic life form clamped onto the female. You'd barely have to manufacture anything, especially compared to the old days, and wouldn't have to do invasive time consuming installations on the new vehicles, it'd be ideal. Politicians get to look tough on crime. Car manufacturers get to look responsible and safety first. Telecom gets their cut whenever it phones home. You're already supplying the gear cops use to test people for DUIs in the first place, so you're on good terms with them.

Literally all you need to do is manage the data, make sure the paperwork side looks good, and make sure the test taking part of the system is accurate. Even that is greatly simplified if you can partner with the vehicle manufacturer. You could potentially reduce the entire system to the highly simplified breath testing portion and one tiny self-contained chip that waits doing nothing until activation.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 7, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Imagined posted:

This one is "only" 185 feet. It's stable because the base weighs 30 tons

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the more I think about it the more the idea of preinstalling breathalizers in new cars is the ultimate holy grail.

You have a set of requirements for the equipment that's pretty much this:
Get and record reliable timestamped info about the state of the vehicle. Driver is attempting to start, the vehicle is running or not etc.
Show information to the driver about their test, notify them that they need to take a test, etc.
Securely store and communicate this info to your database + get any additional info like pic of the driver, etc.
Prevent the engine from starting except in xyz condition.

If you were partnered with the manufacturer almost all of this is already taken care of. New cars have their own screens and poo poo. They have their own gps and clock which means you have reliable date and time info. They can transmit data through onstar or whatever. You have an insanely huge preinstalled user base.

You just have to wait for the dui's to roll in, and you can tack on an extremely reduced test taking apparatus + camera, it would be like how deep sea anglerfish males are a reduced parasitic life form clamped onto the female. You'd barely have to manufacture anything, especially compared to the old days, and wouldn't have to do invasive time consuming installations on the new vehicles, it'd be ideal. Politicians get to look tough on crime. Car manufacturers get to look responsible and safety first. Telecom gets their cut whenever it phones home. You're already supplying the gear cops use to test people for DUIs in the first place, so you're on good terms with them.

Literally all you need to do is manage the data, make sure the paperwork side looks good, and make sure the test taking part of the system is accurate. Even that is greatly simplified if you can partner with the vehicle manufacturer. You could potentially reduce the entire system to the highly simplified breath testing portion and one tiny self-contained chip that waits doing nothing until activation.

This is the worst thing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Even better, the data has to be evidentiary so if someone unplugs the thing or manipulates its casing you get to flag in a record that means "I have been tampered with"

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

haveblue posted:

This one is "only" 185 feet. It's stable because the base weighs 30 tons

I've been in a 135, it feels anything but stable fully extended.

The ones they are using on BFR are full on crane trucks, they're insane!

edit: high res shot

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wish you guys would make a tesla/self-driving thread because unless it's a workplace issue at the factory or something it's really off topic and done to death

I'm glad someone said it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nenonen posted:

The pattern is far too fine-grained, if you're far enough back to see the whole car it just blurs into grey and doesn't break up the outlines at all.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Nenonen posted:

Finally. I can take my daily drive with less fear of being bombarded by naval artillery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t get the point of Detroit camouflage in an age where everyone carries around a quality video camera.

Sure, you can make it trippy for passers by, but you won’t stop anyone in the industry or the press from figuring out the curves.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nenonen posted:

"These drat magic-eye things never work for m-" *gets run over*

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Platystemon posted:

I don’t get the point of Detroit camouflage in an age where everyone carries around a quality video camera.

Sure, you can make it trippy for passers by, but you won’t stop anyone in the industry or the press from figuring out the curves.

So you didn’t watch the video.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t believe the video’s claims.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Also, the millisecond anyone sees that pattern, they're going to pay extra attention to it. They probably shouldn't even have bothered.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

azurite posted:

Also, the millisecond anyone sees that pattern, they're going to pay extra attention to it. They probably shouldn't even have bothered.

I think the point is that the pattern has lots of high frequency detail, which both makes it very hard to pick small style features and also makes jpegs from phone cameras look like absolute rear end.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Platystemon posted:

I don’t believe the video’s claims.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Knormal posted:

"These drat magic-eye things never work for m-" *gets run over*

Did you hear about Hank? He got run over by a schooner!
Really? I heard a sailboat.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I think the point is that the pattern has lots of high frequency detail, which both makes it very hard to pick small style features and also makes jpegs from phone cameras look like absolute rear end.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's this. Though I'm still not entirely sure what the big deal is hiding every tiny little new crimp in the car's shell so the competitors can't see what new car model is gonna roll down the catwalk this year. Then again I guess I'm not a vehicular fashion designer.

I'm too sexy for my hood, too sexy for my hood, so sexy that it hurts

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's this. Though I'm still not entirely sure what the big deal is hiding every tiny little new crimp in the car's shell so the competitors can't see what new car model is gonna roll down the catwalk this year. Then again I guess I'm not a vehicular fashion designer.

I'm too sexy for my hood, too sexy for my hood, so sexy that it hurts

It's because all the cars in a given category pretty much look the same now and small details are the main points of difference

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Tesla says in the fine print "the driver must always be ready to take control from the car at any moment," while heavily implying through advertising that you can sit back and zone out. You very obviously can't; people very obviously do because that's how humans work. Here is another situation where an attentive human driver would have avoided the accident, or at least started braking, but the car didn't pick up on anything wrong:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1418031064778424325

The autopilot system in a tesla usually disconnects about 0.5 seconds before the actual impact -- you can hear the distinctive "bing-bong" in every autopilot crash video. Tesla does not report these incidents as crashes associated with autopilot, because technically the driver was in control at the moment of the crash. Seriously.

The NHTSA has changed the rules recently so that any crashes happening within 60 seconds (? might be 30) of autopilot usage must be reported as autopilot-related. If Tesla actually follows the law and starts reporting those, look for the numbers to spike dramatically.

This is not a Tesla gently caress-up, it's a goddamn feature. I want every loving autonomous car to barrel into any dickhead trying to cheat their way out of congestion. The system is ignoring you crossing over those lines you know carry hundreds-heavy fines, but you're just gonna go for it anyway because you're WAY more special than everyone else. And you are, you precious, tiny nugget of poo poo, you're part of the new rear end in a top hat Patrol feature of Teslas.

(Autopilot is a horrible name for something so clearly in alpha.)

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 7, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SamBishop posted:

(Autopilot is a horrible name for something so clearly in alpha.)

Which knob do you need to leave out of place on a Tesla that it takes you to Soviet airspace to be shot down?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Hatter posted:

Which knob do you need to leave out of place on a Tesla that it takes you to Soviet airspace to be shot down?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I'm sure there exists a clever way that they can obfuscate all these features via software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You can't disengage the autopilot if you're sitting in the copilot seat and the plane loses power.