Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

BonHair posted:

Edit: 2020, not 2045

Don't underestimate the lingering impact of the Great Patriotic War. According to Wikipedia about 27 million Soviets dies during WW2, out of a population of 192 million (in 1941). Now not all would be of child bearing age, but the fighting age population was heavily hit.

So there are fewer people to have babies after the war, and every 25/30 years after. Fewer babies around 1950 leads to fewer grandbabies in the late 70s, and fewer great grand babies around 2000. Which relates to the narrowing of cohorts 75-79, 50-54, and 20-24.

A miserable quality of life and alcoholism don't help, but the legacy of WW2 remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Old James posted:

A miserable quality of life and alcoholism don't help, but the legacy of WW2 remains.

not to mention the truly horrendous psychological harm and tremendous amounts of trauma that the war had caused to literally almost the entire population of Eastern Europe. i'd even argue that the generational trauma still lingers on (anecdotally, purely from personal experience of growing up there and talking to old(er) people). which conveniently explains the alcoholism too, i'd say

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Old James posted:

Don't underestimate the lingering impact of the Great Patriotic War. According to Wikipedia about 27 million Soviets dies during WW2, out of a population of 192 million (in 1941). Now not all would be of child bearing age, but the fighting age population was heavily hit.

So there are fewer people to have babies after the war, and every 25/30 years after. Fewer babies around 1950 leads to fewer grandbabies in the late 70s, and fewer great grand babies around 2000. Which relates to the narrowing of cohorts 75-79, 50-54, and 20-24.

Absolutely valid points, and Russia is hosed in a lot of ways. But my original point, which I didn't exactly spell out, was the gender discrepancy. The over generations are not exactly even, and I think it has a bit to do with alcoholism being a manly thing. Literally toxic masculinity.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

It bothers me that the last row, first column is blank.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm definitely not going to fill it, but Arthur de Gobineau would say Hungary.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I'm definitely not going to fill it, but Arthur de Gobineau would say Hungary.

Or Finland :v:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

You could argue that Malta fits the missing corner, given that Maltese is descended from Arabic, if you absolutely must. Judgements on ethnicity tend to say more about the judge than the ones being judged, though.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 6, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I think that Malta is probably a better fit for “geography neutral, language rebel” on “Is it Italian” than that though given the history of the Maltese people.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

DrSunshine posted:

Would the Vatican qualify? Assuming at least half of the population are Latin American or African clergy.

If they had a country of their own, you could argue the Roma for that square too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
^^ The 'European-originated language' and 'traditionally Christian' bits of The Vatican overwhelm the others by orders of magnitude.

King Hong Kong posted:

“Is it Italian”
Tientsin off in the corner.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DrSunshine posted:

Since it counts "predominantly Christian" as part of ethnicity, just fill in any Protestant country,

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol if you claim to be euroean but don't worship Deus Pater

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

DrSunshine posted:

London's Chinatown?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:canada:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Interesting, esp as iirc hän is the 3rd person pronoun in Finnish, and it's ungendered

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

Interesting, esp as iirc hän is the 3rd person pronoun in Finnish, and it's ungendered

This is mostly correct, except I think the younger generation had begun using "se" for both human and non human referents, where traditional grammar uses "hän" for (all) humans.

Also lmao at the pox of transphopic tax haven states.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow didn't even notice the red dots, drat

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm also having some doubts regarding Russia, at least when looking at practice.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Albanian is an Indo-European language, and no part of Morocco is geographically located within Europe. I know the chart stipulates "ethnicity" but that's a pretty vague term on its own, as I'm sure that there is lots of European (mostly Armenian and Greek) ancestry among modern-day Turkish people, while their ethnic core is from Central Asia. This would be even more true for Hungary - Hungarians are like genetally 98% identical to Czechs and Slovaks, they just happen to speak a non-IE language that was imported by the non-IE people who conquered the area ~1500 years ago.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ethnicity is even more made up than race

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Pfft, everyone knows Germans are swarthy, not white, except for those of Lower Saxony. Drop race from the criteria and change Ethnicity Purist" to "The first language of a majority of the population is primarily spoken as a first language in Europe." There, that is a definition you can actually work with, for any given definition of geographic Europe. Hell, it works for any continent, just replace Europe with whatever continent you like.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BonHair posted:

This is mostly correct, except I think the younger generation had begun using "se" for both human and non human referents, where traditional grammar uses "hän" for (all) humans.

Actually, using "se" for any human, animal or thing is very old and has basically always been normal in colloquial Finnish.

Meanwhile, using "hän" as the exclusive pronoun for persons was decided when written Finnish was standardized in the 1800s. Before that, "hän" was used rarely and only in a specific use case (reported speech) and could refer to animals as well as people.

In colloquial Finnish and in every dialect except standard Finnish, "se" means he, she or it.

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 7, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm bothered by the fact that the person who put that alignment chart together considered the people of Aotearoa to be entirely ethnically European.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zat posted:

Actually, using "se" for any human, animal or thing is very old and has basically always been normal in colloquial Finnish.

Meanwhile, using "hän" as the exclusive pronoun for persons was decided when written Finnish was standardized in the 1800s. Before that, "hän" was used rarely and only in a specific use case (reported speech) and could refer to animals as well as people.

In colloquial Finnish and in every dialect except standard Finnish, "se" means he, she or it.

I love being corrected like this, thanks! (And that's not meant sarcastically, to be clear)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah seconded, it's good stuff

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm bothered by the fact that the person who put that alignment chart together considered the people of Aotearoa to be entirely ethnically European.
72% seems fine for "predominantly".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Comedy options for ethnical rebel, geographical purist:

-Sweden because the population has been mostly replaced by scary brown people, according to reliable* sources.
-Ireland/Scotland/Isle of Man because Kelts aren't proper Europeans.
-Finland because they're obviously Mongolians
-City of London because they're all business ghouls and not actually people.
-Any of the tax haven countries for the same reason.

Otherwise, just declare an independent Sami nation, that fits pretty well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Finland is questionable on the geographical purist level.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you're a geographical purist you know Europe is not a continent though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you're a geographical purist you know Europe is not a continent though.

Hong Kong is Europe Eurasia.

And if Finland isn't Europe, how the gently caress is Turkey or Ireland?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

BonHair posted:

For most Europeans, Asia begins at their country’s eastern border, so one could argue Ireland is the only true Europe

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

For most Europeans, Asia begins at their country’s eastern border, so one could argue Ireland is the only true Europe

I think Portugal's eastern border is a little further west than Ireland. This proves that Portugal is a eastern european country

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Albanian is an Indo-European language, and no part of Morocco is geographically located within Europe. I know the chart stipulates "ethnicity" but that's a pretty vague term on its own, as I'm sure that there is lots of European (mostly Armenian and Greek) ancestry among modern-day Turkish people, while their ethnic core is from Central Asia.

I think that's why they have Turkey as ethnically neutral, since Turkey today is as ethnically blended as the USA or UK will be in like 200 years, with a lot of that blending being from people whose ethnic groups were traditionally from well-outside the geographic boundaries of Europe.

Azerbaijan would probably work better for ethnic rebel, geography neutral, since they're in European championships (e.g. Eurovision and Eurocup) but are otherwise not in any realm of European-ness, and they're almost entirely trans-Caucasian. I guess Morocco could be neutrally located in Europe since Ceuta and Melila and the Canaries are there, but at that point you might as well include Tunisia for the same category since it's just a stone's throw from Pantelleria.

Cyprus seems like it could also work for ethnic purist, geographic neutral.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Now now, this discussion is unnecessary since we all agree european membership is determined by the eurovision and since this matrix doesn't account for that it's fundamentally flawed. and also that Japan would win if they entered because Eurovision is basically live action anime theme songs including the bossfight at the end

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BonHair posted:

Both are Asian as the savage Fenian is descendant from Oriental Scythians who invaded the island and massacred the native British making it fully morally justifiable to displace and subjugate the Irish. Also they aren't really Christians but moon worshipping pagans*

Actual content and related

*actual poo poo I've read in contemporary sources to the Plantation of Ulster.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

This map is out of date. Oklahoma is now a full freedom state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Weird Iceland erasure going on there, Ireland is clearly Asian.

Actually Iceland is a fun discussion, since they're kind of ambiguous in terms of geography and religion/ethnicity. Especially since they had like a hundred years of "no, sorry, we're closed, you guys all have the plague"