Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Banemaster posted:

So, which of Order of Battle's DLCs are the most worthwhile? The ones I already own can count too, as I don't really remember much of them and can replay them.

The soviet trilogy is pretty great and allows you to go from t-26 tincans and conscript armies in Manchuria at the start of the first campaign to elite assault infantry troops backed up by incredibly powerful tanks and assault guns (coincidentally, also in Manchuria!).

The marines campaign is tough but really really good, Burma is also very good and quite a challenge. The other allied Pacific campaign is interesting but involves a lot of naval action, which a lot of people dislike. It has a really great pearl harbor scenario though (which you can play for free).

The first German campaign feels a bit "puzzle"ish, the second is good but it's a 100% Germany Vs soviet affair, endsieg is pretty fun and well made. Sandstorm is pretty fun and is the complete opposite of kriegsmarine, which sucks.

The first allied western campaign throws you into some fun interception missions and desperate retreats. I really enjoyed Dunkirk and had the Germans shadowing the capture point on the last turn.

The Japanese campaigns are better than I expected. The campaign in China can feel a bit weird since you're using 1936 Japanese tanks which are barely better than infantry and also cavalry units. Not much opportunity for breakthroughs or encirclements.

The Finland campaign is a survival game, it's probably the hardest one but it also feels incredibly satisfying.

My suggestion would be to grab either the soviet trilogy, the marine campaign or the sandstorm one. You can play the first mission of each campaign, they usually give you a decent feel of what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Since we don't have an Aurora-thread, I thought I should try asking here instead:

When assembling a new empire, I noticed I can assign System themes (naming scheme for stellar objects, e.g. planets etc.), Class themes (names for ship classes) and a general name theme which I assume is character names and ranks.

Playing around with the options, I was suddenly confused because while Aurora allows adding in custom everything, naming themes seem to be the exception. Since this is a game which includes a loving medal editor for making your own custom medals, I'm assuming I'm just not finding the right option.

How can I add my own e.g. custom rank theme to Aurora?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Libluini posted:

Since we don't have an Aurora-thread, I thought I should try asking here instead:

When assembling a new empire, I noticed I can assign System themes (naming scheme for stellar objects, e.g. planets etc.), Class themes (names for ship classes) and a general name theme which I assume is character names and ranks.

Playing around with the options, I was suddenly confused because while Aurora allows adding in custom everything, naming themes seem to be the exception. Since this is a game which includes a loving medal editor for making your own custom medals, I'm assuming I'm just not finding the right option.

How can I add my own e.g. custom rank theme to Aurora?

Create a .txt file that has the names you want to add to a new theme, I save them to the Aurora directory but I don't think that's necessary. Launch Aurora, on the left hand side menu (the menu with Body Info/All Bodies/Display/Contacts/etc) select Miscellaneous and then add theme.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Highfleet is really great so far for an early access release. Basically a mix between sub sim game play and carrier command.

Check out the thread here on the forums or look up some gameplay.

*Edit - Now with link https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973412

Abongination fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 7, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Abongination posted:

Highfleet is really great so far for an early access release. Basically a mix between sub sim game play and carrier command.

Check out the thread here on the forums or look up some gameplay.

*Edit - Now with link https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973412

I do really like the look and concept, but I'm also at a point where 'the interface hates you' is a bit of a hard pass for me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

Create a .txt file that has the names you want to add to a new theme, I save them to the Aurora directory but I don't think that's necessary. Launch Aurora, on the left hand side menu (the menu with Body Info/All Bodies/Display/Contacts/etc) select Miscellaneous and then add theme.

Thanks, that's helping a lot! Does the game expect any special formatting, or is it just one name, one line like I've seen in other space 4x games with custom lists? I'm asking because Aurora apparently knows how to differentiate ranks from names from a naming file, so I'm forced to guess it's not that simple.

Also, sorry for more dumb questions, but is there a maximum amount of names I can put in, or would Aurora just shrug and accept an entire novel's worth of names if I go off the deep end?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just finished the campaign for 40k Battlesector.

Thought it was great fun, strong recommendation, and if they continue to expand and iterate on it as the developers did for their Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock game that would be excellent/

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Just finished the campaign for 40k Battlesector.

Thought it was great fun, strong recommendation, and if they continue to expand and iterate on it as the developers did for their Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock game that would be excellent/

About halfway through here, and I can second the recommendation.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Next version of Aurora is adding eccentric orbits; http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg154221#msg154221

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are there any good WW2/Modern boardgame hex and counter games that have made it to PC beyond the Lock n Load series? I'm talking straight up physical to PC ports that have been done. I keep hoping for a Panzer Grenadier port but...

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
World in Flames? :v:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The Campaign for North Africa, surely. Remember that it is unfair to judge a game until you've done at least 1 full playthrough in the manner it was intended to be played.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pharnakes posted:

World in Flames? :v:

Yep; of course, they are still dicking around with tile variants, and still three years or so after launch, there is no UI.

Also, netplay is sometimes playable and sometimes unplayable because of desync.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

any tips for the first mission of the 1939 PzC2 scenario? so many victory hexes to leave garrisoned....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Are there any good WW2/Modern boardgame hex and counter games that have made it to PC beyond the Lock n Load series? I'm talking straight up physical to PC ports that have been done. I keep hoping for a Panzer Grenadier port but...

Conflict of Heroes

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stairmaster posted:

any tips for the first mission of the 1939 PzC2 scenario? so many victory hexes to leave garrisoned....

The counterattacks aren't really that strong- if you're working fast you can do it the alternate way long before the counterattacks are too bothersome.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Don't garrison the victory hexes, block the bridges. Take your main thrust south along the western map edge, have some bridging pioneers along. You really want to do the optional objective to not kill any Czech units.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Philthy posted:

Decision Games offers a few of their D-Day at Omaha type games for download, but I've never heard of anyone actually playing one, so who knows what the experience is like.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Decision Games offers a few of their D-Day at Omaha type games for download, but I've never heard of anyone actually playing one, so who knows what the experience is like.

They’re excellent games but hard as balls. I haven’t read of anyone winning Tarawa or Iwo Jima though presumably somewhere out there the Urgrog of Immaculate Dice Rolls sits back, running his hand along the length of his gray beard with the hidden hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his wizened mouth whenever someone says you can’t win them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

orphean posted:

They’re excellent games but hard as balls. I haven’t read of anyone winning Tarawa or Iwo Jima though presumably somewhere out there the Urgrog of Immaculate Dice Rolls sits back, running his hand along the length of his gray beard with the hidden hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his wizened mouth whenever someone says you can’t win them.

how does it play on modern OSes? can we get some screenshots?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Magni posted:

Don't garrison the victory hexes, block the bridges. Take your main thrust south along the western map edge, have some bridging pioneers along. You really want to do the optional objective to not kill any Czech units.

Ah I went east no wonder I had issues

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

i am trying once again to get into steel division 2. is there still any group of yall playing it?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Flashpoint Campaign: Red Storm

The only way I win this poo poo is with my M1 Abrams literally disintegrating the onslaught of endless poo poo-tastic Russian tanks for points while the bastards hold every VP with piles of infantry. When my force eventually falls below 30% the endgame pops up with a marginal win by sheer kills points that outnumber the VP points. Lord this game pisses me off even after finally winning something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xenolalia posted:

i am trying once again to get into steel division 2. is there still any group of yall playing it?

I was going to a couple of weeks ago but ran out of steam to corral people. I guess I'll make a discord channel?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Philthy posted:

Flashpoint Campaign: Red Storm

The only way I win this poo poo is with my M1 Abrams literally disintegrating the onslaught of endless poo poo-tastic Russian tanks for points while the bastards hold every VP with piles of infantry. When my force eventually falls below 30% the endgame pops up with a marginal win by sheer kills points that outnumber the VP points. Lord this game pisses me off even after finally winning something.

The trick is to kill the poo poo out of the Soviet infantry while they are still in their apcs with those same M1s.

That is one complaint I have about the game though, the focus on combined arms is negligible; and the infantry is far too easy to kill.

I would love to see a pure armor formation roll over prepared infantry in an urban environment while NATO armor with a clear view of the approaches on the high ground overlooking that urban area in real life as it happens in Red Storm.

That complaint aside, it’s a fun game.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Carrier Command 2 is out now. I'm going to skip it as the demo made it seem like an enormous faf to play and anyway I've had the Remastered Mass Effect since it came out and I really ought to at least crack it open and see if I feel like playing through it. But I would be interested still to hear other takes on what is hopefully a more polished since the demo actual game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

The trick is to kill the poo poo out of the Soviet infantry while they are still in their apcs with those same M1s.

That is one complaint I have about the game though, the focus on combined arms is negligible; and the infantry is far too easy to kill.

I would love to see a pure armor formation roll over prepared infantry in an urban environment while NATO armor with a clear view of the approaches on the high ground overlooking that urban area in real life as it happens in Red Storm.

That complaint aside, it’s a fun game.

Eh, my complaint is that for a game that's supposed to be about mobile operations the reality is that the moment a unit is engaged it is fixed until it wins or is destroyed. There's very little actual mobile fighting.

e: okay I made a Steel Division 2 Discord room: https://discord.gg/jfS68U5RGr

If enough people show up and want to play games we'll play some games.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 10, 2021

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Ah I went east no wonder I had issues

You need to send something east to block the bridges there, but that can be done with a few infantry and artillery units. There's no counterattacks there except out of the map center, and if you block the bridges with an infantry and artillery each, the AI won't even try to attack due to bad combat prediction and be bottled in.

Generally, for a rough guide for 'AO missions, I cna recommend Hexaboo's channel on youtube.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

Eh, my complaint is that for a game that's supposed to be about mobile operations the reality is that the moment a unit is engaged it is fixed until it wins or is destroyed. There's very little actual mobile fighting.

e: okay I made a Steel Division 2 Discord room: https://discord.gg/jfS68U5RGr

If enough people show up and want to play games we'll play some games.

Yeah, you’re right. It’s almost impossible to get tanks—miles apart from who they are shooting at—to disengage by rolling backwards down the reverse slope of a hill.

I get infantry in a close in fight not falling back for 40 minutes after I’ve ordered it—a little bit—but the fixing in place of tanks (even when they run out of ammo) can be a bit frustrating.

It’s been awhile since I played the game and I completely forgot about that.

While we are at it, the designers made some really drat questionable assumptions about Warsaw air superiority too.

As in Warsaw forces have air superiority in just about every scenario and campaign.

I talked to one of the designers of the game once and asked him why they made that decision since, you know, NATO doctrine at the time completely relied on establishing NATO air superiority.

His answer was, “yes comrade, I am a former GDR soldier and I know that we knew this about NATO, so we would have destroyed ALL of their air fields and airplanes on the ground!” :ussr:

Still a really fun game, and about the only thing like it covering the time period.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 10, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The conceit of the game is the asymmetric turn cycles, with NATO players having a faster C2 cycle than the Pact side. Except it always takes 2 game hours for anything to happen anyway, so this asymmetry never really comes out either.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
For those of you with Grand Tactician Civil War, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to order an army or corps commander to move without also ordering the units under him to move too.

I’ve tried the detach button for the leader, but that seems to have zero effect.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are the Combat Mission games any good? I've been on the fence taking a chance on one for like 20 years now and I just can't do it. I keep watching Youtube videos and these things look like absolute dog poo poo with the person playing struggling to click on anything and rotating the map the wrong way constantly and wondering what the gently caress is going on. It gives me a headache. The concept looks cool, but what the hell are these games.

Maybe should have stuck to deciding to buy WINSPWW2 instead.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Battlefront get a lot of (deserved) flak here because of their lovely business practices. And the games are obtuse and have not appreciably improved in usability in the years they have been in development.

But I like em well enough. You should at least get one in a setting you like to play around with it, when it does click it does what no other game does.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deptfordx posted:

Carrier Command 2 is out now. I'm going to skip it as the demo made it seem like an enormous faf to play and anyway I've had the Remastered Mass Effect since it came out and I really ought to at least crack it open and see if I feel like playing through it. But I would be interested still to hear other takes on what is hopefully a more polished since the demo actual game.

i was... very surprised to see it actually launch so soon after the demo, since the latter had a message about how they really wanted tons of feedback to drive the direction of the game. The demo itself was fun but i don't think they've added any bridge crew or anything and i have just no interest in manning an entire aircraft carrier by myself

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

V for Vegas posted:

Battlefront get a lot of (deserved) flak here because of their lovely business practices. And the games are obtuse and have not appreciably improved in usability in the years they have been in development.

But I like em well enough. You should at least get one in a setting you like to play around with it, when it does click it does what no other game does.

I am onboard with the lovely business practices claim, but obtuse? No.

The combat missions are one of the most intuitive and easy to learn grog games on the market. These games are literally 1,000 times less obtuse than their closest competitor—Graviteam.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Philthy posted:

Are the Combat Mission games any good? I've been on the fence taking a chance on one for like 20 years now and I just can't do it. I keep watching Youtube videos and these things look like absolute dog poo poo with the person playing struggling to click on anything and rotating the map the wrong way constantly and wondering what the gently caress is going on. It gives me a headache. The concept looks cool, but what the hell are these games.

Maybe should have stuck to deciding to buy WINSPWW2 instead.

They're expensive, they will charge you for patches that probably literally every other game company in the world would provide free of charge, the engine is clunky, the camera in particular is horrible, and the AI is supremely braindead.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Does Battlefront claim they're modeling everything in the impact? Or are they just doing some vague handwavy stuff to make it look "realistic" (like every other game on the market)?

Is the appeal just the pseudo-realtime WEGO?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Graviteam is better.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Popete posted:

Graviteam is better.

I completely disagree with that statement; however, even though Graviteam games are the closest Battlefront competitor, they are really very different games with a different scope altogether, despite how similar they appear on the surface. In other words, there is definitely space for both games as each fills a slightly different niche.

As for charging for patches, yeah Battlefront is hosed up and out of touch when it comes to how they treat their customers.

The good news though is that I do not believe Steam, which they have finally given in and put some of their games on, will let them the charge people money for a basic patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dan Carlin's latest HH Addendum is on wargaming; he talks a little about his own history with miniatures and mentions the computer wargame he plays the most now.

And I quote:
Graphically speaking, it's stone age. And everything moves — it's hilarious, because instead of having, you know there are more modern games where everyone moves individually and takes advantage of all the computer's power...
...you get nostalgic and you'd rather have the computer game play like Pong, because you grew up with Pong.
endquote.

I was wondering Field of Glory? John Tiller?

It's Field of Glory.

The first third of the episode is a nice recap of what it was like to watch the development of the genre, the rest is an interview with Max Rea about Hell Let Loose ('hardcore' WWII FPS).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 12, 2021