Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Opened my box for Battle for Omni, pulled an alternate art version of Omnimon Zwart and Omnimon Zwart Defeat. Feels nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just want more virtual pets

my English release Digimon X shipped yesterday but i'm waiting til my brother's birthday later in the month to start playing with it since i got him one too

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just want more virtual pets

The Pendulum Z’s were really good, A+ new Digimon designs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Box of Bunnies posted:

my English release Digimon X shipped yesterday but i'm waiting til my brother's birthday later in the month to start playing with it since i got him one too

Me and my boyfriend both have one of those and one of the anniversary ones, they are very cute despite how hard they try to poo poo themselves to death

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

So everyone who had him pegged the first time ended up being right, lmao.
no not really

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Endorphins is here once again to RationalPost about how Konaka is just asking questions and expressing a reasonable, grounded level of Trutherism and conspiratorial thinking. Whatever the level for that is, he won’t share, just that Konaka is under it.

Bro, we saw people Just Asking Questions about a birth certificate and it ended with a cosplay caveman as House Chair for five minutes. If you can understand why Americans would have no tolerance for trutherism, birtherism, and anti-intellectualism then I will concede that it’s possible the old Japanese man who has lived his life in another culture does not question these things with malicious intent.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's gonna be like this all the way to Ghost Game, isn't it? :eng99:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Iirc Konaka was talking about the Great Reset, a different conspiracy theory

Nominally a review of the most recent episode but it starts with a good discussion on the Konaka event: https://youtu.be/bUoGlHtYcA0

Tl;dr, it is that bad, the alt-right shoe absolutely fits

Can’t listen since I’m at work but I’m curious if there’s anything new in there or if it’s just what was in his blog, like the google doc going around, or if there’s none new news about the situation.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's gonna be like this all the way to Ghost Game, isn't it? :eng99:
Well, it’s not like Adventure: gives us anything more entertaining to talk about, and I say that as one of the people here who doesn’t really dislike it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Can’t listen since I’m at work but I’m curious if there’s anything new in there or if it’s just what was in his blog, like the google doc going around, or if there’s none new news about the situation.

It’s just a good discussion of the event that puts it in context.

In lighter news, Bandai’s finally been printing enough boxes for card prices to be pretty cheap. The desirable cards from older sets are still expensive but the SR cards (the second highest rarity) from Battle of Omni are at most ten dollars and around three to five for most of them, and the SEC cards (the highest rarity) are fifteen and twenty dollars, respectively. The alternate art cards are worth more, but they’re alternate art, so I don’t mind the price being high for them

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Craptacular! posted:

Endorphins is here once again to RationalPost about how Konaka is just asking questions and expressing a reasonable, grounded level of Trutherism and conspiratorial thinking. Whatever the level for that is, he won’t share, just that Konaka is under it.

Bro, we saw people Just Asking Questions about a birth certificate and it ended with a cosplay caveman as House Chair for five minutes. If you can understand why Americans would have no tolerance for trutherism, birtherism, and anti-intellectualism then I will concede that it’s possible the old Japanese man who has lived his life in another culture does not question these things with malicious intent.

Why are you posting like a debate lord freak while also being mad about Endorph being pedantic in your eyes?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Craptacular! posted:

What the gently caress is this grandstanding bullshit?

If you disagree with or want to say Endorph is wrong that's fine, but this "holier than thou" attitude and style posting sucks. Also don't go around presupposing people's gender, Endorph is a girl. Your reading of her posts is also, in my opinion, wrong. I know her, she's not standing for the alt-right, she hates everything they stand for politically. Endorph is just upset that everyone in this thread collectively jumped to the worst conclusions about Konaka immediately based on incomplete third-hand testimony of the content of the event and due to taking blog posts out of context to assert that he's a full on anti-vaxx, Alex-Jones supporting style lunatic, when that really isn't the case.

I think Konaka is an old man with some dangerous and stupid opinions and people are right to be upset about those things. But in general people shouldn't rush to the worst conclusions about these things, especially when it is filtered through an American-centric lens, and then spread around as fact, since it muddies the waters of what is going on, and what the intentions of those people were.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Julias posted:

What the gently caress is this grandstanding bullshit?

If you disagree with or want to say Endorph is wrong that's fine, but this "holier than thou" attitude and style posting sucks. Also don't go around presupposing people's gender, Endorph is a girl. Your reading of her posts is also, in my opinion, wrong. I know her, she's not standing for the alt-right, she hates everything they stand for politically. Endorph is just upset that everyone in this thread collectively jumped to the worst conclusions about Konaka immediately based on incomplete third-hand testimony of the content of the event and due to taking blog posts out of context to assert that he's a full on anti-vaxx, Alex-Jones supporting style lunatic, when that really isn't the case.

I think Konaka is an old man with some dangerous and stupid opinions and people are right to be upset about those things. But in general people shouldn't rush to the worst conclusions about these things, especially when it is filtered through an American-centric lens, and then spread around as fact, since it muddies the waters of what is going on, and what the intentions of those people were.

He is anti-vax, though, and while he doesn’t support Alex Jones he supports a man who is an equivalent of Alex Jones, who peddles some extremely noxious conspiracy theories.

Konaka is way more tuned in to Western culture than you or Endorph are painting him to be. He’s getting a good deal of his ideas from Western sources. He’s using terms like Cancel Culture and Political Correctness directly in English. The first instinct that people had was genuinely correct here.

I get it, Endorph is your friend, and you want to defend her, but she’s on the wrong side of this. She seems to agree with a much less noxious version of Konaka’s ideology and seems uncomfortable when people say that it’s an alt-right ideology, and while I don’t think that Endorph is alt-right, she’s doing damage control for someone who is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

1) the level for that is mostly when it gets into straight up racism/transphobia which konaka hasnt really hit from what i can see
2) the path that led to trump being elected was way more complicated than that
3) the world isnt america
4) but yes i can concede that american liberals would be very jumpy about this stuff
5) that doesnt mean the impulse is inherently correct tho
6) i think the amount of power a guy who writes cartoons who hasnt written a cartoon since the bush administration has is very different from the amount of power politicians and major news network anchors have. functionally konaka is barely a lever of power above the timecube guy. its not like kids are watching the 20th anniversary stage show for a show that was made before they were born. i would care more about this if konaka was actively inserting this into currently airing digimon shows or if he was an active japanese politician or something.
7) i said a bunch that dudes a moron for inserting this into the stage show instead of keeping it to his blog, and also that his blog is pretty out there, so idk where you got 'reasonable and grounded' from
8) didnt you once say that japanese women can only understand relationships through rape

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

He is anti-vax, though, and while he doesn’t support Alex Jones he supports a man who is an equivalent of Alex Jones, who peddles some extremely noxious conspiracy theories.

Konaka is way more tuned in to Western culture than you or Endorph are painting him to be. He’s getting a good deal of his ideas from Western sources. He’s using terms like Cancel Culture and Political Correctness directly in English. The first instinct that people had was genuinely correct here.

I get it, Endorph is your friend, and you want to defend her, but she’s on the wrong side of this. She seems to agree with a much less noxious version of Konaka’s ideology and seems uncomfortable when people say that it’s an alt-right ideology, and while I don’t think that Endorph is alt-right, she’s doing damage control for someone who is.
all of this is incorrect. i disapprove of you posting Endorph Conspiracy Theories. Dude is tuned into western culture but he's still never lived in the US, there's a gap there. And again a key component of the alt-right ideology is racism and transphobia and general hatred, which Konaka has not expressed at all to my knowledge. Dude is a dumbass anti-vaxxer who thinks covid might have been created in a lab but his ability to spread that ideology is pretty limited and he seems perfectly reasonable about complying with covid safety measures as recommended by his employers. I think the man's a moron but I don't think he's hateful or causing any major harm, and taking the stage show on its own its a waste of time to bring it up at all since it's so irrelevant to anything else, so you can definitely accuse it of being stupid writing and him being overinvested in his weird bullshit, but it's a pretty harmless series of bits. Now, maybe taking his blog into consideration you can say it's not harmless, but I read some self-awareness into it. That's art, you read stuff in and out of it.

maybe his upcoming explanation of this stuff will be a hateful screed and I'll have egg on my face but I don't think the idea of someone disagreeing with you about the severity of what even you have to admit is a fairly complicated situation with a lot of telephone and back-and-forth going on means the thread has to stop so we can all agree that I'm a bad person.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 7, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and most of all i disagree with the idea that julias is my friend

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

all of this is incorrect. i disapprove of you posting Endorph Conspiracy Theories. Dude is tuned into western culture but he's still never lived in Japan, there's a gap there. And again a key component of the alt-right ideology is racism and transphobia and general hatred, which Konaka has not expressed at all to my knowledge. Dude is a dumbass anti-vaxxer who thinks covid might have been created in a lab but his ability to spread that ideology is pretty limited and he seems perfectly reasonable about complying with covid safety measures as recommended by his employers. I think the man's a moron but I don't think he's hateful.

The guy was upset when James Corbett was removes from YouTube, a man who believes in pizzagate. Konaka complained that the actors couldn’t move about during the live reading because “social distancing is trendy.” He said that he was going to start bringing his views into his works.

Whether he hates minorities on principle (he made evil feminists a plot point in Armitage III, so maybe he’s less chill than you think), he’s making conspiracy theorist propaganda that sure does dovetail into alt-right propaganda pretty nicely.

I don’t really care if someone has hate in their heart when they’re vocally committed to a toxic belief system that will get people killed. Your analysis has been bad, your trying to downplay the depths of what he believes and the danger has been bad, and your trying to defend yourself through a pedantic definition of alt-right has been bad. gently caress off

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

What a good sibling! I'm still waiting on a UK release for it. I'm happy they decided to do a western release at all though, the black/white X is about the only modern Japanese release I missed out on.

Also happy that Bandai America realises the west would never in a million years stand for the overpriced one and done Premium Bandai crap they pull with the JP releases!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dear God,

Yeah, it's me again. I know it seems like I'm always asking you for things, but could you please maybe make people stop having complete meltdowns over vaccines in the Digimon thread where people talk about the Digimon: Digital Monsters anime that they watched when they were children?

Thanks a bunch,

Crow

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

womb with a view posted:

What a good sibling! I'm still waiting on a UK release for it. I'm happy they decided to do a western release at all though, the black/white X is about the only modern Japanese release I missed out on.

Also happy that Bandai America realises the west would never in a million years stand for the overpriced one and done Premium Bandai crap they pull with the JP releases!

Wait, they're releasing that stuff over here?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

gently caress off
nah

ConanThe3rd posted:

yeah, though from what i can tell rollout is fairly limited going by the prices of the ones from just a couple years ago

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ConanThe3rd posted:

Vital Bracelet too

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endorph posted:

i think the amount of power a guy who writes cartoons who hasnt written a cartoon since the bush administration has is very different from the amount of power politicians and major news network anchors have. functionally konaka is barely a lever of power above the timecube guy. its not like kids are watching the 20th anniversary stage show for a show that was made before they were born. i would care more about this if konaka was actively inserting this into currently airing digimon shows or if he was an active japanese politician or something.
First of all, I just want to say I meant no malicious intent to misgender you since I didn’t know your gender when I last posted. In fact my use of “bro” was a phone-corrected “bruh” used in exasperation, but since that term felt even more belittling than the “hey, look” that I intended, I kept the change. I don’t normally address microaggressions but that one went beyond the usual and was on me. My fault.

I agree with you that Konaka’s influence is limited and what he did was basically use an opportunity to reconnect with fans to instead parade piping hot takes about deplatforming that was probably not what anyone had in mind. But you started this off with “he’s right” and then suggested that everyone here on this message board is proving it. You’ve refined it down now to where you don’t believe 100% what he does and think some of his ideas are a little out there, which is definitely an evolution from where we started.

We as consumers have a lot of choices in what to watch with our time, so someone using the Digimon property to float a message that comes 95% of the way to meeting the right wing message of “conservative voices are being silenced” isn’t going to be super popular among
people who think perma’ing Trump from Twitter and InfoWars from YouTube makes the world a better place overall.

You seem to think it’s inappropriate to connect Konaka’s views on vax and disinformation to the US conservative movement (referred to often as “the alt-right” in this thread; the differences matter not because they have taken over the GOP). The problem is that I don’t know him personally well enough to say that he’s definitely not being influenced by them, especially after some of the sources he says he trusts for information are extemely sketch. It sucks to have to infer people’s true intentions, but it’s not a surprise US readers/viewers will do so since the country is so bitterly divided and some of Konaka’s hobbies like the Truther thing are just unacceptable here for the damage they have done here to the definition of truth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

First of all, I just want to say I meant no malicious intent to misgender you since I didn’t know your gender when I last posted. In fact my use of “bro” was a phone-corrected “bruh” used in exasperation, but since that term felt even more belittling than the “hey, look” that I intended, I kept the change. I don’t normally address microaggressions but that one went beyond the usual and was on me. My fault.

I agree with you that Konaka’s influence is limited and what he did was basically use an opportunity to reconnect with fans to instead parade piping hot takes about deplatforming that was probably not what anyone had in mind. But you started this off with “he’s right” and then suggested that everyone here on this message board is proving it. You’ve refined it down now to where you don’t believe 100% what he does and think some of his ideas are a little out there, which is definitely an evolution from where we started.

We as consumers have a lot of choices in what to watch with our time, so someone using the Digimon property to float a message that comes 95% of the way to meeting the right wing message of “conservative voices are being silenced” isn’t going to be super popular among
people who think perma’ing Trump from Twitter and InfoWars from YouTube makes the world a better place overall.

You seem to think it’s inappropriate to connect Konaka’s views on vax and disinformation to the US conservative movement (referred to often as “the alt-right” in this thread; the differences matter not because they have taken over the GOP). The problem is that I don’t know him personally well enough to say that he’s definitely not being influenced by them, especially after some of the sources he says he trusts for information are extemely sketch. It sucks to have to infer people’s true intentions, but it’s not a surprise US readers/viewers will do so since the country is so bitterly divided and some of Konaka’s hobbies like the Truther thing are just unacceptable here for the damage they have done here to the definition of truth.
I basically agree with all of that, is the thing. I knew Konaka was a conspiracy guy, a single viewing of Big O would tell you that, but I didn't know he'd gone that deep into it in the past couple years, hence my evolving opinion. You and I seem to have basically the same opinions, the only difference we seem to be having is what people should do with it. I don't think calling him alt-right or trying to disown him from Tamers or his other work, or worrying over whether you're still allowed to like his previous stuff, really accomplishes anything or is a reasonable response. I get why it's the first impulse people have, but it's a waste of time at best. I think, even if you do think it's more severe a problem than I do, there are more measured ways of handling it.

And a big bugbear for me was the complete mispreading of misinformation, ironically in the name of calling him out for spreading misinfo. Like the 9/11 thing, it was presented as straight up 'dude is a hardcore 9/11 conspiracist' and not 'he googled 9/11 conspiracies once and thinks its a bit shady but has no real theory or thoughts about it beyond that.' And me correcting that was taken as me defending 9/11 conspiracies.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

But you started this off with “he’s right” and then suggested that everyone here on this message board is proving it. You’ve refined it down now to where you don’t believe 100% what he does and think some of his ideas are a little out there, which is definitely an evolution from where we started.

I think her “he’s right” was specifically about the cancel culture thing, not about the other stuff. I don’t think that’s changed and I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion among more than just the alt right, especially in other countries.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think her “he’s right” was specifically about the cancel culture thing, not about the other stuff. I don’t think that’s changed and I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion among more than just the alt right, especially in other countries.

also yea this. like i said i knew konaka was a conspiracy guy but i didnt know how much hed, uh, evolved, in that direction, and i didnt connect column a to column b when first seeing it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Vital Bracelet too

Sorry, I ment the uk specifically.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

She also said he was right to be upset that James Corbett was deplatformed.

The thing about being against “cancel culture”, especially about how Konaka used it, is that it isn’t a concern about people brigading in an extremely misguided attempt at justice, it’s old men being upset that they are faced with the most minor of consequences. Reasonable people can understand, in a context where an evil monster called Political Correctness uses the attack Cancel Culture, they aren’t talking about the online brigading. Endorph wanted to make that part of the discussion about something it clearly was not.

Then she said that, after watching the show, it wasn’t that bad. Then she said she read his blog, and it wasn’t that bad. Was she right that he wasn’t a truther back in 2010, and that he was saying Covid 9/11 as an example of what someone else had said? Yes. But she was wrong about pretty much everything else, and has come back into the thread, trying to have her cake and eat it too by saying “oh my opinions evolved (but actually I was right)”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Then she said that, after watching the show, it wasn’t that bad. Then she said she read his blog, and it wasn’t that bad. Was she right that he wasn’t a truther back in 2010, and that he was saying Covid 9/11 as an example of what someone else had said? Yes. But she was wrong about pretty much everything else, and has come back into the thread, trying to have her cake and eat it too by saying “oh my opinions evolved (but actually I was right)”
youll note that 'wasnt that bad (relative to how some people presented it)' isnt actually an opinion ive walked back and is not an objective viewpoint that i can be wrong about. and then you presented two objective facts i was correct about. so functionally youre just saying im right, here.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

youll note that 'wasnt that bad (relative to how some people presented it)' isnt actually an opinion ive walked back and is not an objective viewpoint that i can be wrong about. and then you presented two objective facts i was correct about. so functionally youre just saying im right, here.

This is deeply tedious

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

This is deeply tedious
dont sign your posts BOOM GOTEM

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

dont sign your posts BOOM GOTEM

Okay you got me.

I will cop to that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chiaki J. Konaka we sure love your deeply paranoid and conspiratorial viewpoint that led to writing some of the greatest anime of all time <<Chiaki J. Konaka writes something deeply paranoid and conspiratorial>> nooo not like that

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sorry, I ment the uk specifically.

I've been a little busy and haven't checked recently so I'm not sure if it's progressed past "some small shops said they'll look into it!" But there's a good chance. We eventually got the 20th anniversary releases a little while after America did! Though a little more expensive unfortunately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Okay you got me.

I will cop to that
we can all come together if we just believe in each other

anyway we're making GBS threads up the thread a ton so feel free to reply to this point pinky promise ill read it but i probably wont reply back because A) i feel like were gonna go in circles here and B) this is in fact a thread for which agumon is coolest (its toyagumon) but i will say that i wanna make it clear you dont like, have to agree with me on how bad it is exactly, like i said my issue is more that a lot of the people who did think it was that bad were using it to justify every other kneejerk response they could have.

i get that stuff like 'youtube banning james corbett is bad' is quite reasonably contentious, because its kind of the catch-22 of corporate monopolies, where that person getting banned being capable of severely impacting their ability to spread their bullshit is bad cause it means youtube has the power to do that to anyone they dont like, but also that person not being able to spread their bullshit is good, and platforms having control over whats on them isn't bad in itself. what im saying is i wish viddler wasnt turned into a platform for corporate sales training (real)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

B) this is in fact a thread for which agumon is coolest (its toyagumon)

Nope we’re enemies again, the coolest Agumon is BushiAgumon, he has a sword and everything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the swords cool but the haircut is stupid

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Endorph posted:

which agumon is coolest (its toyagumon)

ClearAgumon has a heal move in Digimon World 2 fairly early on in the game so you wanna get him into your jogress move pool asap

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Dear God,

Yeah, it's me again. I know it seems like I'm always asking you for things, but could you please maybe make people stop having complete meltdowns over vaccines in the Digimon thread where people talk about the Digimon: Digital Monsters anime that they watched when they were children?

Thanks a bunch,

Crow

no

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nine-gear crow posted:

Dear God,

Thanks a bunch,

Crow

Cancel culture wins again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

womb with a view posted:

ClearAgumon has a heal move in Digimon World 2 fairly early on in the game so you wanna get him into your jogress move pool asap

It's also transparent which is an unique choice of recolour so it's undeniably better than the original.