Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Quote-Unquote posted:

Trying to remember two racing games from the very early 90s, must've been 91 or 92 at the latest.

2) More of a simulation racer - 3d, driver's-eye view. Flat, textureless polygons for everything - a bit like Stunts/4D Driving but with more colours and more polygons. Not sure if there were any opponents, might have just been time trials. The controls were really complicated - there were multiple buttons for turning depending on how far you wanted to turn the steering wheel. All the cars were high-end luxury sports cars like Ferarri, Porsche, Lamborghini and Lotus. I remember being absolutely blown away by this game.

This is almost definitely one of the early Test Drives. Probably 3 going by the time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

wb posted:

cisco heat?

That's the one, thanks!

SkeletonHero posted:

This is almost definitely one of the early Test Drives. Probably 3 going by the time frame.

Looks really similar visually to what I remember but I don't think it was this. Pretty sure there were more cars than this - I'm 99% sure there was a Lotus you could drive.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

That's the one, thanks!

Looks really similar visually to what I remember but I don't think it was this. Pretty sure there were more cars than this - I'm 99% sure there was a Lotus you could drive.

I think this is Car and Driver. It’s got a Lotus Esprit and the mobygames reviews mention the bizarre controls

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think this is Car and Driver. It’s got a Lotus Esprit and the mobygames reviews mention the bizarre controls

Oh yeah, this is definitely it, thank you!

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There was a CD era game, I think a point and click adventure game, with that Blade Runner style of pixely pseudo-live action graphics which started with you on a passenger spaceship and the space stewardess gives you a brochure and then when you arrived the space customs agent executes the stewardess for smuggling space drugs, and the brochure secretly had the space drugs recipe and you needed to scan it with this pen-shaped handheld scanner before the space customs person takes it for a later puzzle because you needed the space drugs recipe for... reasons? I think it was set on a mining planet or asteroid or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tehan posted:

There was a CD era game, I think a point and click adventure game, with that Blade Runner style of pixely pseudo-live action graphics which started with you on a passenger spaceship and the space stewardess gives you a brochure and then when you arrived the space customs agent executes the stewardess for smuggling space drugs, and the brochure secretly had the space drugs recipe and you needed to scan it with this pen-shaped handheld scanner before the space customs person takes it for a later puzzle because you needed the space drugs recipe for... reasons? I think it was set on a mining planet or asteroid or something.

Is this Flashback? Or maybe a game similar to it? I could be way off, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tehan posted:

Dark Side of the Moon: A Sci-Fi Adventure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGGeVWS3-w

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

This is the one, thanks.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I have this seven CD game here still, cool game for sure

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

how do you know all these random games dude... did you get a genie wish and use it on that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Okay I've got two, I don't think these will be too difficult since I doubt they are very obscure. They are both educational games.

First one is for PC, and is focused on math and science. It's got a young character and an old character who I think was some kind of mad scientist, then a bunch of minigames. I was super young when I played it at a friend's house so this must've been mid to late 90s. I remember a blimp driving minigame and some kind of energy equalization minigame explaining kinetic and potential energy.

Second is one based around ancient Egypt, there are different puzzles including a classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle and one where you need to pull out a mummy's brain through a needlessly complex nasal cavity without touching the sides. I think at this was on the family computer and also had simple 3d graphics so I would estimate early 2000s maybe.

THE BAR posted:

I'm still waiting for a remastered Sam and Max. Not sure what's taking so long.. licensing issues, maybe?

Didn't the remaster of Sam and Max with all the episodes put together just come out?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Play posted:

Didn't the remaster of Sam and Max with all the episodes put together just come out?

Presumably they mean Sam & Max Hit the Road, the OG Lucasarts adventure game.

Your first game might be Castle of Dr. Brain or Gizmos & Gadgets?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've had a specific game stuck in my head for a while, might as well ask.

An artillery game, two player (probably had a 1P vs computer mode), two cannons, a red and a green one, indicated just by flags, and what you could do is just set your angle with a number and your power, no mouse dragging and dropping. I remember the prompt looking like a basic Windows prompt. This would've been around Windows 98ish, so late 90s, but the game felt old even by then. I'm mostly curious on the name, as the game was incredibly simple, no weapons, just the shots. Terrain was randomly generated I want to say.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Presumably they mean Sam & Max Hit the Road, the OG Lucasarts adventure game.

Your first game might be Castle of Dr. Brain or Gizmos & Gadgets?

Definitely Gizmos & Gadgets, thank you! Not sure what to do with this information but it's good to know.

Serperoth posted:

An artillery game, two player (probably had a 1P vs computer mode), two cannons, a red and a green one, indicated just by flags, and what you could do is just set your angle with a number and your power, no mouse dragging and dropping. I remember the prompt looking like a basic Windows prompt. This would've been around Windows 98ish, so late 90s, but the game felt old even by then. I'm mostly curious on the name, as the game was incredibly simple, no weapons, just the shots. Terrain was randomly generated I want to say.

I totally played this game. It might've been on the moon? Or maybe it just reminded me of the moon.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Serperoth posted:

Sounds like Bang! Bang! https://archive.org/details/win3_BANGBANG

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Serperoth posted:

Bang Bang!

edit: beaten !

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

how do you know all these random games dude... did you get a genie wish and use it on that

Most of the games I never heard of before but it’s fun to try and figure out what they are lol

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yep, it was Bang Bang! Release date of 1990 sounds about right, it was dated even when I played it, but thank you both for helping me satisfy that curiosity.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

eonwe posted:

I remember playing a game on...maybe Windows 95. It was sort of around the time I played Castle of the Winds. It was a lot like Advance Wars. You had a top down voew of a grid based map and had tanks and stuff.

Anyone know wtf this was

This probably isn't it, but it led me to another question. There was a BBS door game with a graphical client around this time, I remember it being somewhat similar to Civilization, and I thought the name had Iron or Steel or Metal or something in it, but I'm having trouble finding it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Play posted:

First one is for PC, and is focused on math and science. It's got a young character and an old character who I think was some kind of mad scientist, then a bunch of minigames. I was super young when I played it at a friend's house so this must've been mid to late 90s. I remember a blimp driving minigame and some kind of energy equalization minigame explaining kinetic and potential energy.

One of the Dr. Brain games, or possibly a Super Solvers game, maybe?

ETA: Whoops, didn't see this got answered.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Golbez posted:

This probably isn't it, but it led me to another question. There was a BBS door game with a graphical client around this time, I remember it being somewhat similar to Civilization, and I thought the name had Iron or Steel or Metal or something in it, but I'm having trouble finding it.

Metal Knights?

Zathril fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 6, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Play posted:

Second is one based around ancient Egypt, there are different puzzles including a classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle and one where you need to pull out a mummy's brain through a needlessly complex nasal cavity without touching the sides. I think at this was on the family computer and also had simple 3d graphics so I would estimate early 2000s maybe.
I'm absolutely certain I played this too.

No idea how to find it, though.

Pyramid: Challenge of the Pharaoh's Dream?

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 6, 2021

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

There are two old pc games I've been trying to remember, my guess is they were around in the early 2000s and might have been tech demos:

-a 3d, third person platformer shooter where the camera was fixed behind the player character, and the visual design was very sci - fi with chrome and metal.

-a game where you are defending a city from a bunch of giant bees, pixely, flat 3d graphics

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FFT posted:

Pyramid: Challenge of the Pharaoh's Dream?

Nope, I checked a youtube playthrough and in that game they do pull brains out the nose but it's a lot different looking. Also that game has cartoons, I don't remember cartoons in this one.

Amusing that their are two games where you pull brains out the nose to make mummies though lol

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

archduke.iago posted:

-a 3d, third person platformer shooter where the camera was fixed behind the player character, and the visual design was very sci - fi with chrome and metal.

MDK, maybe?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Entombed? I remember thats early 3d and bad puzzles?(entombed enhanced maybe)

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 6, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

Entombed? I remember thats early 3d and bad puzzles?(entombed enhanced maybe)

Nice guess, but no I don't think so. Although the graphics look a bit similar or maybe slightly older, this was much more explicitly an educational game.

I'm starting to think that maybe it wasn't ENTIRELY focused on Egypt. Not quite sure, it might have been, but I also seem to remember that the Tower of Hanoi puzzle had statues that looked more Greek than Egyptian.

But without a doubt there was a mummy dressing section, one part of which involved carefully navigating a twisty nasal canal with the mouse to bring the brain out. If you hit the sides it would go UGGHH (which doesn't make much sense as this person is supposed to be dead) and you'd have to start over.

I don't care all that much though so don't strain your brains over it, it just came to mind really as a good puzzle.

Play fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 6, 2021

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

archduke.iago posted:

-a game where you are defending a city from a bunch of giant bees, pixely, flat 3d graphics

This sounds like one of the Earth Defense Force games, though they were console only until the 2010s. Are you sure about early 2000s PC?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Okay, finally got a few minutes to myself.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

My first thought was also Decap Attack, but here's some wild rear end guesses:

Charly the Clown

Rolling Ronny

Nicky Boom

Hammerhead

Apparently none of those (nor Harlequin, James Pond, Plok, Boppin or anything else here), but this is perhaps more in the general ballpark.

KennyMan666 posted:

To help narrow it down a bit further, about when does he remember this game from?

In this case it isn't a distant memory of an old game, rather some bizarre retro thing he saw someone playing recently. So I'm inclined to believe his recollection of details to be generally accurate; it could conceivably be something other than DOS or Amiga, but it sounds like something so utterly batshit and obscure, almost to the level of homebrew, that I doubt there are many other systems it could've been on. Of course, that also means the odds of anyone knowing it are unfortunately slim. My odds might be better asking one of the crew from Vinesauce honestly, but they probably play too MUCH of that poo poo to remember any specific one. :v:

I was given a mockup though:

After seeing this, I have also confirmed with him that it was not SpaceKids.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I deliberately held off on suggesting Rayman until just now

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Play posted:

Nice guess, but no I don't think so. Although the graphics look a bit similar or maybe slightly older, this was much more explicitly an educational game.

I'm starting to think that maybe it wasn't ENTIRELY focused on Egypt. Not quite sure, it might have been, but I also seem to remember that the Tower of Hanoi puzzle had statues that looked more Greek than Egyptian.

But without a doubt there was a mummy dressing section, one part of which involved carefully navigating a twisty nasal canal with the mouse to bring the brain out. If you hit the sides it would go UGGHH (which doesn't make much sense as this person is supposed to be dead) and you'd have to start over.

I don't care all that much though so don't strain your brains over it, it just came to mind really as a good puzzle.

Journeyman Project?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

packetmantis posted:

Journeyman Project?
Pretty sure the only Egypt connection was the ship/crew in 3 while you were in Atlantis

It brings up a question worth asking, though:

was there any FMV involved, or any animated characters at all?

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 7, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I'd like to latch on with a similar thing:

DOS artillery game in 3D, the landscape was white-on-black wireframe while the explosions (nuke mushroom clouds and the like) were filled in. It was full 3D in that you could aim in 360 degrees around you. Two specific things I remember was that one of the maps was around a volcano with a crater full of lava, you could blow the side of the crater and the lava would flow out, and that one of the weapons was some kind of green toxic moss that would remain where it hit and grow with each subsequent turn.

Another thing, since we had a piracy chat recently, I remember some game like 10(?) years ago where the dev, having learned about pirate copies of his work floating around, not only didn't get publicly pissed off but actually posted a "pirate edition" torrent of his game on Pirate Bay or similar site. Anyone remember what that was?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 7, 2021

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Pierzak posted:

I'd like to latch on with a similar thing:

DOS artillery game in 3D, the landscape was white-on-black wireframe while the explosions (nuke mushroom clouds and the like) were filled in. It was full 3D in that you could aim in 360 degrees around you. Two specific things I remember was that one of the maps was around a volcano with a crater full of lava, you could blow the side of the crater and the lava would flow out, and that one of the weapons was some kind of green toxic moss that would remain where it hit and grow with each subsequent turn.

Another thing, since we had a piracy chat recently, I remember some game like 10(?) years ago where the dev, having learned about pirate copies of his work floating around, not only didn't get publicly pissed off but actually posted a "pirate edition" torrent of his game on Pirate Bay or similar site. Anyone remember what that was?

It doesn't exactly fit, but is this Genocide?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

could have sworn Cannon Fodder was an artillery game but apparently I was thinking of Scorched Earth

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zathril posted:

It doesn't exactly fit, but is this Genocide?

It fits exactly, including the map I was thinking of! It seems I remembered the landscape being filled wrong, or maybe I just played it on a lovely school computer and turned it off for faster gameplay? Either way, it's the game I was looking for, thanks!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Timeframe is a bit off, but I think the devs of Hotline Miami put the game up on Pirate Bay themselves at some point?

Edit: well, the first Hotline Miami game came out in 2012 so not too far off on the time

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not quite 10 years ago, but the developers of Anodyne turned it showing up on Pirate Bay to their advantage. Spun it to good vibes, gave out free download codes, and just asked in return they vote to Greenlight it on Steam.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Super vague memory here. There was a mini golf place in about.. 1987-1989, I would guess. It had a couple of arcade cabinets and one of them is just on the edge of my memory.

I think it involved shooting in windows at criminals (or targets of some kind), like Golgo 13 meets Hogan's Alley. But - I don't seem to recall it using an actual gun or anything (like Operation Wolf). Heck, maybe it did, but I think I'd remember that part. That's all I got. Maybe the buildings were made of brick, and I remember it taking up much of the screen. (it wasn't scrolling past lots of small buildings.. definitely seem to recall it taking up much of the view, like Crazy Climber.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chinook posted:

Super vague memory here. There was a mini golf place in about.. 1987-1989, I would guess. It had a couple of arcade cabinets and one of them is just on the edge of my memory.

I think it involved shooting in windows at criminals (or targets of some kind), like Golgo 13 meets Hogan's Alley. But - I don't seem to recall it using an actual gun or anything (like Operation Wolf). Heck, maybe it did, but I think I'd remember that part. That's all I got. Maybe the buildings were made of brick, and I remember it taking up much of the screen. (it wasn't scrolling past lots of small buildings.. definitely seem to recall it taking up much of the view, like Crazy Climber.)

Maybe Empire City: 1931 or Dead Angle?