Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

the thought of clapclap time returning gives me the fear
👏 👏 👏
CAM ON 'OSPITALS
👏 👏 👏
SAVE SOME FACKIN KIDS

E: you can have a little video of the boy, as a treat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVuC4a5pLwY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef10KbypviU

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 7, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Oh, good to know that in the event of a real snake outbreak, the police won't tell anyone :pwn:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The weirdest thing about this story is it happened while I was involved in complex negotiations with a north-London based snake breeder about trying to obtain a (non-venomous) snake as part of a scheme involving a Korean artist staying with one of my parents' friends, and an attempt to get the Paris-based daughter of said parents friend involved in an exhibition at the Saatchi gallery, because apparently my life is actually a cautionary tale northerners tell each other about what goes on in That London.

Your involvement is always the weirdest part of any story.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Somehow I subbed to the lovely New Statesman newsletter & have been too lazy to unsubscribe. Checking my email today

quote:

Good morning. Boris Johnson is under fire after saying that Margaret Thatcher gave the United Kingdom a "big early start" in the battle against climate change by closing so many of the country's coal mines.

Joining the chorus of criticism are Keir Starmer ("shameful praising of Margaret Thatcher’s closure of the coal mines, brushing off the devastating impact on those communities with a laugh, shows just how out of touch he is with working people"), Lisa Nandy (the remarks "reveal the Conservative Party's utter disregard for the communities still scarred by Thatcher's closure of mines") and Nicola Sturgeon ("Lives & communities in Scotland were utterly devastated by Thatcher’s destruction of the coal industry, which had zero to do with any concern she had for the planet.").

Even one of his own MPs has had a go, albeit anonymously, telling the Times that: “It’s not really the smartest thing to say is it? It’s also not right.”

Except, hang on a moment: while you can make any number of reasonable points about the Thatcher government's indifference about what would replace mining, you can't get away from the basic point that one reason the United Kingdom is better placed as far as energy policy is concerned is that we have closed most of our coal mines.

So congratulations to Stephen Bush for being the only person to agree with Boris's smug little joke.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
About the only thing that Thatcher proved is that jobs can be dangerous and unhealthy and bad for the environment and yet policy can still somehow manage to be worse.

Good thing we had that environmentally friendly North Sea oil and gas boom though.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I love the fake outrage here. Like, what in the last 40 years of Torydom has led you to believe that they've changed their mind and decided what they did to the miners was bad, actually?

Guess it's not :airquote:polite:airquote: to acknowledge the Tories were evil then, and it's a direct line from then to now, but with several decades' worth of brazening traditional decorum into dust?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The agreed upon handover is that the tories will take the "working class" vote by going all in on culture war and fascism but still doing the same policies

Labour are going to do the same policies too but they will be given the city dwellers with higher education who they will attract by... Oh... Keith please hold up your end of the bargain
It's all gonna go to poo poo kieth please say you support BLM

So reminding people that the tories whole thing is they are the enemy of the working class will just clutter the brains of the common folk unhelpfully

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

proof theres no god

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or proof that Gove pulled some strings.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Or proof that Gove pulled some strings.

Just watched an episode of The Boys where the Aquaman-type character is tripping and his gills start singing to him, thought of Gove

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

bump_fn posted:

proof theres no god

We’ve polluted the oceans too much already

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

proof theres no god

Boris doing a Harold Holt (or possibly a John Darwin) really would be the right point to just draw a line under Britain and just close the country down forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps this is just an effort to strengthen our trade relations with australia.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bump_fn posted:

proof theres no god

captain ahab licking his lips

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jel Shaker posted:

close thread this won’t be topped

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

We all know he's a total Cnut

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

bump_fn posted:

proof theres no god

Stares in Stephen Tompkinson dressed as a clown

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jel Shaker posted:

Lmao

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bump_fn posted:

proof theres no god

I mean it's total bollocks and every holiday he has is two or three photographs before being whisked to some Russian money launderers yacht but could you imagine the banter if he died. The conspiracy theories.

It'd be sublime.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean it's total bollocks and every holiday he has is two or three photographs before being whisked to some Russian money launderers yacht but could you imagine the banter if he died. The conspiracy theories.

It'd be sublime.

There would be a gigantic anti terrorism clampdown and Priti Patel would round up anyone vaguely left wing and put them in camps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Exclusive in the express about how Nicola Sturgeon personally sneaks off to Arthur's Seat during lunch break at Holyrood to perform black rites and direct the Scottish ocean gods to kill british PM.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Black rites are when you kneel and the Express gets mad about Karl Marx.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bump_fn posted:

proof theres no god

Surely a binbag full of custard would float

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Surely a binbag full of custard would float

Custard is probably more dense than water, no?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was trying to remember because I couldn't think if the addition of the starch made it more or less dense.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I was trying to remember because I couldn't think if the addition of the starch made it more or less dense.

More.

But presumably the binbag would have a little air trapped in there, so I'd guess it would be buoyant

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

More.

But presumably the binbag would have a little air trapped in there, so I'd guess it would be buoyant

Sorry, but as previously established, the binbag is FULL of custard.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Density of custard in various measurement units: (approx 29% more dense than water).

sauce: https://www.aqua-calc.com/page/dens...red-from-recipe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's caramel custard, which is more like a flan. Their page for custard powder says 0.81g/cm^3, and egg custard is 1.19g/cm^3

So a binbag full of egg custard would float in the Dead Sea.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Intrigued by the scenario where you would need to measure your custard in long tons per cubic centimetre

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Very small ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alt history british imperial low temperature physics laboratory.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Now i'm imagining Boris being forced to walk the plank into a slurry tank filled with custard

I would have kept it full of pig poo poo but the fumes might have knocked him out too quickly and i do so want him to fully enjoy the event.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Imagine Farage tooting alongside, loudspeaker in hand, complaining the RNLI shouldn't save Boris.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So a "long ton" is an imperial ton 2240lb or 20cwt. These are units of measurement I learned at primary school which as any fule kno by now was a very long time ago, when time was measured relative to incidents rather than clocks.... we used to have school exercise books with all these (and rods, poles, perches, chains etc) on the back of them.

A short ton is 2000lb and is what the Americans call a ton.

Neither of these is the same as a metric ton which is 1000kg
It is equivalent to approximately 2,204.6 pounds; 1.102 short tons (US), and 0.984 long tons (UK).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Exclusive in the express about how Nicola Sturgeon personally sneaks off to Arthur's Seat during lunch break at Holyrood to perform black rites and direct the Scottish ocean gods to kill british PM.

“First they took our princess, now they’ve taken our Prince”

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Know what I find funny? Kitchen scales with ml as a unit. Unless you're giving me a place to enter the density, that's just grams with a fake moustache!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Here's the big unanswered question about Crimes of Grindelwald, released in 2018: is the Grindelwald rally meant to be Jeremy Corbyn at Glastonbury?

e: I have posted this in the wrong thread, but perhaps understandably so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So a "long ton" is an imperial ton 2240lb or 20cwt. These are units of measurement I learned at primary school which as any fule kno by now was a very long time ago, when time was measured relative to incidents rather than clocks.... we used to have school exercise books with all these (and rods, poles, perches, chains etc) on the back of them.

A short ton is 2000lb and is what the Americans call a ton.

Neither of these is the same as a metric ton which is 1000kg
It is equivalent to approximately 2,204.6 pounds; 1.102 short tons (US), and 0.984 long tons (UK).

I am constantly amazed that there aren't more international disasters or trade wars caused by either conversion failures or a miscommunication over which indentically-named unit of measurement is the one being used. I wouldn't blink if the report found thta the Evergiven got jammed in the Suez Canal because the Captain didn't realise she was built using American Boaties which are 0.03 bigger than British Boaties, and that none of the tugs could pull her out because they were rated for Metric Heavies and the calculations used an obscure unit of Heavies found only along the banks of the Suez on Wednesdays.