Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My mom keeps trying to put on cocomelon for my not quite 12 week old despite my telling her that a: no screen time (she insists we could just turn the screen off and let the sound play) and b: no kids music garbage in our house.

My insistence that we don't have screen time for the first few years is always met with a "well I had you start watching sesame street when you were four months old and look how you turned out," which is not the positive endorsement my mom thinks it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Screen time is hard but things like Cocomelon are especially insidious as they're designed to keep kids in a trance for hours.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
We let the kid start watching one episode of Daniel Tiger a day at around 16 months and most of the guilt around it is gone. It is so nice when he decides to wake up at 5 AM to have something to keep him entertained for 20 minutes while I slowly come back to life. We immediately noped on Cocomelon after one episode as it seemed very annoying.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah the no screentime rule went out the window REAL FAST the moment parental survival entered the mix.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

L0cke17 posted:

We're deliberately not showing our kid any of the kid music or shows yet. If we turn on the tv it's just music we like.

He has the weirdest taste ever. Some metal, anything with a banjo, and synthpop are his favorites. There's 3-4 songs he'll just stand in the middle of the room grooving to and it's the cutest thing ever.

I do the same thing. She loves 80s music and more recently the new Chvrches song, which she refers to as the girl song. Painkiller by Judas Priest and Superfreak by Rick James are probably two of the songs that will calm her down almost instantly. Not sure why that is.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I get really offput by those CG baby music shows so they don’t get played here. Our toddler definitely watches some Daniel Tiger and Sesame Street- and they’ve honestly been really good teaching tools. She also loves the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie show which we hate but can’t really undo at this point.

Her baby brother is so much more into screens than she was at his age. I feel kind of guilty when he’s trying to watch her show but not guilty enough to turn it off and give up the chance of a half hour break before the dinner/bath/bed sprint.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

they're designed to keep kids in a trance for hours.

my hate for coco melon and the ilk aside, this can sometimes be a good thing

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

my hate for coco melon and the ilk aside, this can sometimes be a good thing

Same, except it was Little Baby Bum. We tried really hard and succeeded to have practically zero screen time before the age of 2, but it came at the expense of a lot of stress and tension, that, in retrospect, we could really have done without.

Anyway, I came to ask if anyone here has experience with using thise toddler bed rails in an adult sized single bed for a 3 year old. We will be moving to a different flat for a few months and our options are to transform her cot into a toddler bed and take it with us or ditch the cot entirely and switch straight to an adult sized single bed with bed rails. The latter option is really appealing to me right now due to much lower complexity, but there's always safety concerns.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Sesame Street kicks so much rear end.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
At 2,5 years, we're gonna finally transfer out of a crib into a full-size bed with a bed rail within the next few weeks/months as we convert our home office into a "toddler room / home office". (Ie move out the work-related books, power tools and binders, move in her clothes.)

We inherited a fixed one that clamps over the side with screws: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vikare-guard-rail-white-50251388/

I don't trust the "swing-down" models -- anything with moving parts is a hazard. With a fixed one, I really doubt there is much to be concerned about except the worry that it'll now be possible to fall out of bed while sleeping. She'd have to work pretty hard to cross the rail though. Bumping her head against a firm object once in a while will hopefully help train her to thrash around less while sleeping.

Just want to make real sure this potty training thing i over with before we give her her own room, so it's not too much change at once. She's been dry for 5 days now, going on 6! Yay!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 7, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

a podcast for cats posted:

Same, except it was Little Baby Bum. We tried really hard and succeeded to have practically zero screen time before the age of 2, but it came at the expense of a lot of stress and tension, that, in retrospect, we could really have done without.

Did I get stoned and change my name to hallo spacedog last night because that’s some stoned German poo poo right there for sure and hilarious

fake edit: smoking weed is a no-go at the moment for more than one reason 🙁

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

life is killing me posted:

Did I get stoned and change my name to hallo spacedog last night because that’s some stoned German poo poo right there for sure and hilarious

fake edit: smoking weed is a no-go at the moment for more than one reason 🙁

I think they stated quoting me but ended up quoting you somehow.

I also miss the days of smoking up whenever.
It was a major victory for us this week finally figuring out what time the baby actually wants to go to sleep (between 9-10) because that gave me the opportunity to enjoy a low-alcohol beer late last night knowing she wouldn't be up until around 4-5 am.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

External Organs posted:

Sesame Street kicks so much rear end.

This also I like learning about my feelings with Daniel Tiger

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of kids' shows, has anyone found anywhere to acquire the Netflix Clangers reboot? Our daughter liked that quite a bit when it was on, but I can't find anywhere to buy it, and other avenues are also coming up empty.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Leeeeeets Blaze!

Re: kid shows.

They all like Fairly OddParents - I got them into that - along with The Thundermans, Elena of Avalor, and Henry Danger. YouTube they all like Diana and Ryan's World.

Daughter likes Slick Slime Sam and any Barbie play videos. Also Bluey and Puppy Dog Pals.

Youngest loves Blippi. :smithicide: I'm so pissed that he's using a lovely body double now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
At least all your kids are probably learning something from these shows. Mine just wants to watch videos of garbage trucks picking up trash cans on youtube, and my wife usually lets him.

Kudos to Blippi who successfully managed to scrub the internet of the video of him taking a poo poo on something when he was trying to become a gross-out comic before changing gears and creating the Blippi character.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

I think they stated quoting me but ended up quoting you somehow.

Yep, somehow.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

At 2,5 years, we're gonna finally transfer out of a crib into a full-size bed with a bed rail within the next few weeks/months as we convert our home office into a "toddler room / home office". (Ie move out the work-related books, power tools and binders, move in her clothes.)

We inherited a fixed one that clamps over the side with screws: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vikare-guard-rail-white-50251388/

I don't trust the "swing-down" models -- anything with moving parts is a hazard. With a fixed one, I really doubt there is much to be concerned about except the worry that it'll now be possible to fall out of bed while sleeping. She'd have to work pretty hard to cross the rail though. Bumping her head against a firm object once in a while will hopefully help train her to thrash around less while sleeping.

I'm actually looking that exact one as a possible solution, even if it seems to be tad low. Also still need to go and take a closer look at what's available.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

wizzardstaff posted:

I floated Bluey multiple times to my child based on this thread's recommendation to no avail. All she wants to do is watch Cat People on Netflix so she can put the cat rapper on repeat.

One of my kids just want to watch annoying orange

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We've managed to keep to no screen time as of 14 months but kid's favorite song is Miami by Will Smith so did we really win?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

D34THROW posted:

Puppy Dog Pals.

They changed the voice actors at the start of season 4 because of puberty, my boy noticed the difference, and that was that.

He's currently making his third time through the new Duck Tales.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Does anyone have a recommendation for outlet covers? We got those cheap plastic ones that you just put in and our twins all of a sudden decided they like pulling them out!

I saw a couple on Amazon that snap into the outlet, but a lot of the reviews say that with enough force these can come right out.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve let my baby watch a little Sesame Street. Mainly Super Grover and Monsterpiece Theatre shorts. I also tried showing her some Cocomelon and she was only interested for 1 and half songs before she crawled away.

No screen time is not really feasible for a household with a gamer father and an internet addicted mother.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Its interesting to hear that many people here do not adhere to that recommendation about screen time. Since this is our first baby I guess I don't know what to expect as we move forward and she gets older, and we were just taking the advice we were given by the pediatrician.

Our primary reason for trying to adhere to it is because both her father and I have crippling ADHD, and both grew up in homes where we were put in front of a tv for long periods of time from an early age. That said there's probably a happy medium to be ha, and I am aware that I am still in the panicky first time mom stage of this whole process.

Edit: that said, kids music like cocomelon is still going to be banned forever

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 7, 2021

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

hallo spacedog posted:

Since this is our first baby I guess I don't know what to expect as we move forward and she gets older, and we were just taking the advice we were given by the pediatrician.
The first kid we held relatively firm up to 2yrs, the second kid rules were out the window. Once the elder once is watching TV as part of a regular schedule it's hard to keep the younger one away.

Plus pandemic; I did a lot of things with a "what will make the next 30 minutes tolerable" mindset.

The newer 2yo is still an rear end in a top hat but I think that's more because they're two than because of the screen time.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

yeah. our first was very limited on screens until our twins were born. I'm just too loving tired sometimes, and octonauts, or bluey is my one rest time some days. Children are exhausting.

Our fight now is not letting poo poo creep into their watching. My mother in law shows them the stupidest shows on her tablet, and they demand to watch that at home. "Those are grandma's special shows, and we don't watch them at home," is starting to not work. They only see her 3-5 times a year, so she intentionally shows them those kids crack youtubes so they like her.

Our oldest came home and wanted to watch Gremlins, because her little kindergarten friend watched it with their dad, and was telling my daughter about how cute gizmo was, and that they liked the part where someone got stabbed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My nephew was over and we put on... Nikki and Vlad? Which I guess is two kids and their mom in Mexico somewhere, cut/edited to give the experience of parenting from the perspective of a meth addict on a sugar high

Anyways, periodically there's a shot of, I guess it's their bedroom, their bed is just a mattress on the floor. I thought that was rather ingenious

A) zero risk of injury in a rollover incident
B) dramatically increases play area, bed is now a gymnastics area
C) don't have to waste money on even more furniture that they'll immediately outgrow in 18 months

Curious to hear what the goons think about this strategy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
YouTube is banned for the kids in my house, unfortunately they do get to watch it at the grandparents but they do watch with them so it’s not getting the weird poo poo.

Thankfully it seems like the toy reviewer bullshit has died down because it doesn’t seem as prevalent from 5-6 years ago when I have a look at the viewing history. It’s almost all 2 minute clips of shows they could watch on Netflix in full anyway, it’s weird.

Also it seems like Paw Patrol is kind of dying off I see less kids sporting their merch anymore.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Hadlock posted:

My nephew was over and we put on... Nikki and Vlad? Which I guess is two kids and their mom in Mexico somewhere, cut/edited to give the experience of parenting from the perspective of a meth addict on a sugar high

Anyways, periodically there's a shot of, I guess it's their bedroom, their bed is just a mattress on the floor. I thought that was rather ingenious

C) don't have to waste money on even more furniture that they'll immediately outgrow in 18 months

We turned out guest bedroom into a nursery by putting a crib in the corner. About the time the kid became self-ambulatory we removed the bed frame and just put the mattress and box spring on the floor. She still sleeps in the crib but will transition to the bed eventually, and in the meantime it's primo play space. Fun for bouncing, snuggling under blankets, digging into laundry piles....it's a good setup.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Sivart13 posted:

The first kid we held relatively firm up to 2yrs, the second kid rules were out the window. Once the elder once is watching TV as part of a regular schedule it's hard to keep the younger one away.

Plus pandemic; I did a lot of things with a "what will make the next 30 minutes tolerable" mindset.

The newer 2yo is still an rear end in a top hat but I think that's more because they're two than because of the screen time.

Are... You me? This was us as well.

I think this, like a lot of other things, is one of those situations where if you are thinking about it and worried you could/should be doing better as a parent for your kids, then you are already in the top percentile and doing a good job.

It's really hard not to hold yourself to an unrealistic standard as a parent in an attempt to give your kids the optimal upbringing, whatever that is.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My first had zero screen time until over a year old, and then it was very limited (zero to twenty minutes a day) until I got very pregnant, then sitting around became pretty important to me. Now that I’ve got the baby, and the toddler is up at ungodly hours of the morning, we have started watching movies until I can have some coffee and wake up enough to function. It’s a miracle if she actually watches a whole movie, at this point we can make it about thirty minutes before she’s bored, but they are a really nice thirty minutes. I am looking forward to when she will consistently watch an entire movie… But for now if she’s up super early we will watch a movie, and we use about twenty minutes of a short kids show to wind down before bath and bed time.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

hallo spacedog posted:

Its interesting to hear that many people here do not adhere to that recommendation about screen time. Since this is our first baby I guess I don't know what to expect as we move forward and she gets older, and we were just taking the advice we were given by the pediatrician.

Our primary reason for trying to adhere to it is because both her father and I have crippling ADHD, and both grew up in homes where we were put in front of a tv for long periods of time from an early age. That said there's probably a happy medium to be ha, and I am aware that I am still in the panicky first time mom stage of this whole process.

Edit: that said, kids music like cocomelon is still going to be banned forever

I have a lot of issues with the medical establishment’s recommendation for zero screen time before 2. It is far too strong a recommendation based on the data. It’s also not calibrated to the upper middle income demographic.

Key findings I made when I reviewed the underlying studies:

1) there is no evidence of harm for moderate screen time (a few hours per week)
2) there is no evidence that pre-lingual children are able to learn from screens
3) there is evidence that children who can speak can learn good behaviors from high quality television, but it is less effective than real human teaching
4) negative outcomes such as ADHD can be correlated with excessive screen time, but the effects are small and cross correlated with poverty. (Edit: excessive screen time is A LOT of screen time. Some people use screens to replace childcare, like 4 to 8 hours a day.)

So yeah, a bit of TV is not big deal. Pick good programming and make sure kids do a variety of things. They’ll be fine.

Dobbs_Head fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 7, 2021

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Hadlock posted:

Cool, dry climate? Go for it. Hot and humid? You're asking for mold, especially if it's a foam mattress. We put a low profile box spring under ours. Still pretty low to the ground, but gets some air under it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This kids song video made me legitimately lol. Nice that the artists had fun with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rdlXji2jR0

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hadlock posted:

Anyways, periodically there's a shot of, I guess it's their bedroom, their bed is just a mattress on the floor. Curious to hear what the goons think about this strategy
our 4yo still sleeps in what used to be a big walk-in closet, which is exactly one toddler mattress wide. There literally isn't space for anything longer than just the mattress so we've went with the mattress on the floor for now.

It's been great but I dunno what we're gonna do when we finally go to a hotel or something. I've never had to deal with the bed rails, how long to do have to worry about the kid falling out of the bed?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Dobbs_Head posted:

I have a lot of issues with the medical establishment’s recommendation for zero screen time before 2. It is far too strong a recommendation based on the data. It’s also not calibrated to the upper middle income demographic.

Key findings I made when I reviewed the underlying studies:

1) there is no evidence of harm for moderate screen time (a few hours per week)
2) there is no evidence that pre-lingual children are able to learn from screens
3) there is evidence that children who can speak can learn good behaviors from high quality television, but it is less effective than real human teaching
4) negative outcomes such as ADHD can be correlated with excessive screen time, but the effects are small and cross correlated with poverty. (Edit: excessive screen time is A LOT of screen time. Some people use screens to replace childcare, like 4 to 8 hours a day.)

So yeah, a bit of TV is not big deal. Pick good programming and make sure kids do a variety of things. They’ll be fine.

Thanks, this certainly gives me something to consider and I appreciate the nuanced breakdown for someone like myself who is not so well versed in understanding that kind of data.
If we do end up deciding to let the baby watch anything I am going to probably still tell my family we don't because I don't trust them to not show her the previously mentioned garbage if she is visiting them. Although the amount of time she will be spending unsupervised with her grandparents is probably going to be minimal for a while anyway as I am exclusively breastfeeding and do not plan to return to work once my leave is over.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Our kid transitioned to the toddler bed at 18mo because he was climbing out of his crib. He fairly quickly insisted on sleeping on the ground next to the bed, then started rolling under the bed and getting stuck, so we just switched to mattress on the floor. Sometimes he slept there, sometimes he insisted on sleeping next to it. Kids are weird. At almost-4 we put him back in the toddler bed, which he has now almost outgrown. So he was on the mattress on the floor for...a year and a half? In hindsight, we could have gone from crib to floor to real bed, though our crib was one of those 3-or-4-beds-in-one things so we had the furniture anyway.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

If toddler’s crib didn’t convert to a toddler bed and we didn’t have a twin frame in storage I would’ve sprung for one of these- they convert from ‘basically on the floor w/ some air circulation’ to low platform bed height: https://sprout-kids.com/products/low-montessori-floor-bed-for-toddlers

(Not a shill but we have a couple things from them and it’s really nice and sturdy stuff made in the USA)

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
We have our 10 month old in a floor bed and have done since he was about 6 months. It's great, he seems to like it and he can get out of his bed and gently caress about with his toys for a bit after a nap or in the morning.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So generally when I burn out on baby shennanigans I will hang out in the living room and watch the kid cruise/crawl around and bang on things with her hands etc, baby poo poo, from across the room. The couch has an almost unobstructed view of all but the most obscure corners.

Today she wandered down the hall and back into the nursery and was banging on a toy in there for probably half an hour. We have a wireless video monitor in there so I could keep an eye on her from the couch,

But, uh, how early is too early to allow independent roam? Generally we shut the doors to all the rooms except the nursery and she can crawl between it and the great room (combo entry/living/dining/kitchen) which have been adequately baby-proofed. For some reason I thought my kiddo would be extremely attached to me and not want to leave, but at 9 months she's plenty content to explore without a parent nearby. Also, she's mostly outgrown the "put literally everything in my mouth to see how it tastes, what's a choking hazard?" phase, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My understanding is that it is actually good for them to have some roaming time where you aren't a visible presence since it teaches them that fun times can be had without a parent in the room with them. As long as the environment is safe and you're ready to run in at a moment's notice of course. I think I also saw something about letting them be the one to choose to do it, so avoid putting them in the nursery and then walking off.

Mini Pony went through a bit of a thing where he would play in the nursery (with me watching him on the video monitor) but occasionally stop and come and check to make sure I was still there in the living room. He'd pop his head around the door, see me, get a hinge grin, and then zip back into the nursery to resume playing. Almost like a super mild version of separation anxiety.