Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

klee is helping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Should I swap Mona for XQ on a vaporize team?

E: to back up a Diluc

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 6, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BrightWing posted:

Should I swap Mona for XQ on a vaporize team?

E: to back up a Diluc
Diluc should pretty much always be with XQ.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Diluc wants Xingqiu because with his skill having 3 attacks per cast and his burst giving him infusion Mona doesn't apply Hydro nearly enough for him to vape off of. Xingqiu allows way more consistent Hydro application and if you line up both their bursts Diluc can vape the majority of his damage.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Sweet, thanks for the input!

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'm hoping I can bother the thread for some advice.

My most used:

I'm AR47 after just shy of a month with the game, but I don't feel like I have a particularly good handle on things. Some general notes:
  • I've been using either Ayaka (4PC Blizzard Strayer but only 3 pieces are upgraded to +20 while I fish for the other 2) or Keqing (phys with Prototype Rancour and still in +16 Berserker Gear) as my main DPS.
  • I basically keep Kazuha in my party permanently because I love the ability to quickly swap to him and bunch everything up. He's got 4pc VV at the moment but I still need to find Elemental Mastery gear for him.
  • I pulled Diona a few days ago and started trying to catch her up so she can play with Ayaka. She's got a Lv70 R2 Sacrificial Bow at the moment, but nothing good for artifacts yet. I have a Chongyun at C5 that I could use for Cryo resonance instead, but I don't... really like him? It doesn't feel like he brings much to the table for Ayaka. I have a C5 Rosaria and I'm wondering if I should be using her? She hasn't seen much play for me because I haven't really touched Cryo until I got Ayaka.
  • I feel like I don't have a lot of solid options for Hydro. I just got Xingqiu like two days ago, so I need a lot of EXP books to get him caught up. I've been using Barbara with Ayaka to get freezes done for now, but it feels slow.
  • My Pyro options are basically Bennett or Yanfei at the moment. I don't think I've figured out playing Yanfei properly yet, which is a shame because the game handed me her a bunch of times. I have Xiangling but she's underdeveloped and I don't know if I should put resources into her to get her up to speed.
  • I have a C6 Ningguang and I hear all kinds of things about how she's baller, so I've sunk a lot into trying to get her level and weapon up. She's using Solar Pearl at the moment. She does okay but I need better artifacts for her, I think, because she's like half the damage my Ayaka or Keqing puts out.
  • I've heard the thread say good things about Fischl, but I've never actually, uh, used her, despite having her. I've also basically never touched Lisa, Kaeya, Amber, or Noelle.

With all that said - can you guys help me figure out who and/or what I should be prioritizing next? I'm throwing resin into EXP book leylines at the moment because I'm completely out of them, but that's because I feel like I keep changing course on what I'm trying to build. Should I be focusing leveling these guys up? Talents progression instead? Should I just focus on throwing resin at artifact grinding instead? I've avoided that last option (the artifact grind) for now in favor of trying to spend resin on more permanent progress/upgrades, but I know a lot of the characters I have are sub-optimally geared at the moment. I'm feeling like I'm probably going to struggle when I get to WL7 at AR50 unless I start really focusing in a set direction.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Talent Progression is the fastest, most guaranteed way to increase power.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harvey Baldman posted:

My most used:

I'm AR47 after just shy of a month with the game, but I don't feel like I have a particularly good handle on things. Some general notes:
  • I've been using either Ayaka (4PC Blizzard Strayer but only 3 pieces are upgraded to +20 while I fish for the other 2) or Keqing (phys with Prototype Rancour and still in +16 Berserker Gear) as my main DPS.
  • I basically keep Kazuha in my party permanently because I love the ability to quickly swap to him and bunch everything up. He's got 4pc VV at the moment but I still need to find Elemental Mastery gear for him.
  • I pulled Diona a few days ago and started trying to catch her up so she can play with Ayaka. She's got a Lv70 R2 Sacrificial Bow at the moment, but nothing good for artifacts yet. I have a Chongyun at C5 that I could use for Cryo resonance instead, but I don't... really like him? It doesn't feel like he brings much to the table for Ayaka. I have a C5 Rosaria and I'm wondering if I should be using her? She hasn't seen much play for me because I haven't really touched Cryo until I got Ayaka.
  • I feel like I don't have a lot of solid options for Hydro. I just got Xingqiu like two days ago, so I need a lot of EXP books to get him caught up. I've been using Barbara with Ayaka to get freezes done for now, but it feels slow.
  • My Pyro options are basically Bennett or Yanfei at the moment. I don't think I've figured out playing Yanfei properly yet, which is a shame because the game handed me her a bunch of times. I have Xiangling but she's underdeveloped and I don't know if I should put resources into her to get her up to speed.
  • I have a C6 Ningguang and I hear all kinds of things about how she's baller, so I've sunk a lot into trying to get her level and weapon up. She's using Solar Pearl at the moment. She does okay but I need better artifacts for her, I think, because she's like half the damage my Ayaka or Keqing puts out.
  • I've heard the thread say good things about Fischl, but I've never actually, uh, used her, despite having her. I've also basically never touched Lisa, Kaeya, Amber, or Noelle.

With all that said - can you guys help me figure out who and/or what I should be prioritizing next? I'm throwing resin into EXP book leylines at the moment because I'm completely out of them, but that's because I feel like I keep changing course on what I'm trying to build. Should I be focusing leveling these guys up? Talents progression instead? Should I just focus on throwing resin at artifact grinding instead? I've avoided that last option (the artifact grind) for now in favor of trying to spend resin on more permanent progress/upgrades, but I know a lot of the characters I have are sub-optimally geared at the moment. I'm feeling like I'm probably going to struggle when I get to WL7 at AR50 unless I start really focusing in a set direction.
Ayaka, Kazuha, Rosaria, Barbara is a team I like using in abyss that I think is very strong. The default second team for rosters of limited size tend to involve Bennett and Xingqiu. So your second team could be Yanfei, Bennett, Xingqiu, Sucrose (very few day 1 players have Yanfei built because they already had a 5* xingqiu-dependent pyro built when she came out and having yanfei at high C is rare, but my understanding is she's quite decent). Those are the rosters I'd try building if I were you trying to clear the abyss today.

The issue with Keqing is that she wants Kazuha as badly as Ayaka does and is a whole lot weaker. Most comps with Keqing are better without her. If you really wanted to use her you'd want something like Keqing/Beidou/Kazuha/Bennett.

I share similar opinions on characters that you do. Ningguang imo needs some key characters (specifically, either of the two off-field geo 5*s) to catch up with other DPS. Chongyun baffles me. You'll want to build Xiangling eventually but given your roster I'd only do it once she's C4.

Where you put your effort now is totally up to you and depends on what your goals are. In general the priority in terms of resin efficiency is max leveling your weapons, leveling the talents you care about to at least 6, then getting some kind of usable artifacts on everyone. I would recommend not leveling any artifacts past +16 for a while.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 6, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a setting/way to stop the launcher from firing up when you exit the game?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

No Wave posted:

I would recommend not leveling any artifacts past +16 for a while.

I appreciate all of the advice and I understand it, except for this bit. Why? Is the artifact exp curve that much steeper after 16 or something?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Harvey Baldman posted:

Augh, it hurts seeing people's teams and finding so few of the characters I like in them.

Yeah, don't worry about it too much, Fischl really shines at later constellations like Ningguang does. But you're already lucky enough to have her at C6 so she's already at full power anyway! Noelle is also a great character at C6 if you want her fighting battles for real instead of popping in for her shield healing auto attacks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harvey Baldman posted:

I appreciate all of the advice and I understand it, except for this bit. Why? Is the artifact exp curve that much steeper after 16 or something?
Yep, exactly.

It's not like never level to +20 - ayaka wants a +20 goblet before barbara's artifacts go from +12 to +16 for example. But getting energy recharge going on your ER-dependent supports will make a world of difference. Your weapons look nice too, Rosaria is really nice with Favonious Lance, you can try solar pearl on Yanfei and give Sacrificial fragments to sucrose, etc. No sacrificial sword is rough for Xingqiu but you can possibly scrape by with Favonious and building tons of ER.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 6, 2021

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is there a setting/way to stop the launcher from firing up when you exit the game?

I would like to know this as well.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

No Wave posted:

Where you put your effort now is totally up to you and depends on what your goals are. In general the priority in terms of resin efficiency is max leveling your weapons, leveling the talents you care about to at least 6, then getting some kind of usable artifacts on everyone. I would recommend not leveling any artifacts past +16 for a while.

This is an important point. A goal of clearing abyss has far different priorities than one of clearing bosses more easily.

I am jealous of your Yanfei constellations tho. I'd give her the Solar Pearl and run her with Bennet and Fischel, she's one of the few units who doesn't mind the overload explosions knocking everything all over the place.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Space Opera posted:

This is an important point. A goal of clearing abyss has far different priorities than one of clearing bosses more easily.

I am jealous of your Yanfei constellations tho. I'd give her the Solar Pearl and run her with Bennet and Fischel, she's one of the few units who doesn't mind the overload explosions knocking everything all over the place.
That's true. <C6 Fischl's electro application is kind of disappointing though, I think it's 3 applications per oz cast. You could do Yanfei/Bennett/Beidou/Fischl though, and ofc Raiden could change things.

Bazinga!
Dec 15, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The simple way is to not use the launcher, and to instead launch the game with "GenshinImpact.exe" in the repertory "Genshin Impact/Genshin Impact Game". You still need to use the launcher at every version update though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

This is pretty much what I hope they do for Genshin. There aren't a lot of past characters I'm dying to roll for but there are a couple and it'd be cool not to have to wait months or a year between chances to do so.

As an added bonus, it'd help with the potential "new player pulls a 5 star character they cannot upgrade until they're nearly done with the story so far" problem.

Although I really don't see how increasing the availability of any character is more FOMO than continuing to have temporarily available characters. Adding 5 stars to the standard pool would probably piss off some people when they first do it, but in the long run "if you miss someone they'll be in standard eventually" feels LESS exploitative, not more.

Which is probably a reason for a gacha game not to do it but still.

(I wish they'd do both)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

My only real frame of reference for these gacha things is FF Record Keeper. There you don't pull for characters but instead pull for "relics" which are pieces of gear that have special abilities on them for specific characters. In that game the release of these things is semi-limited in that things will debut for the event for a few weeks and then go away. The thing is though, there's a big set of permanent banners you can pull on and those get updated every... 6 months or so to update the pool of stuff available in them. So there's still a period where stuff will be limited and if you miss them you have to wait for them to show up again but there's that eventuality that you'll be able to try to pull for them.

But even though you can target these permanent banners by FF game (ie FF1 or Tactics or Type-0) the pools of items available are large so getting something specific you want is gonna be a huge crapshoot. The other thing RK does is have a resource shop where older relics for character get thrown and you can pick them up for free with stuff you've earned just through playing. You won't ever get to grab anything all that recent but it has a decent selection to shore up stuff you might want for characters.

All that to say I don't think eventually finding a way to make characters permanently available is a bad plan or something that will piss people off. Either through adding them to the standar pool, making a rerun banner that cycles, or even eventually making some kind of resource shop 2 or 3 years down the road for old characters & weapons. But this is all stuff I don't expect to happen for quite awhile.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Not having a fleet of confusing gacha mechanics is why I was able to pick up Genshin and I think they should continue in that manner. Even the new bad luck protection in the weapon banner seems dumb to me because it’s forcing everyone to look at a system that doesn’t mean poo poo. They could have just made it ‘guaranteed at least one of each in three hits, resets upon hitting both’ and kept it completely hidden.

How about instead of multiple banners running the paimon shop gets expanded. What would a five star even cost in starbullshit? 35 for a four star so…. like 300? Five buys a wish so you are trading sixty wishes for an old character you don’t have a choice in?

Idk. I just hate the idea of cluttering up the game with extra garbage to think about and manage.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Talent Progression is the fastest, most guaranteed way to increase power.

+1 to this, the costs increase, but the percentages at the higher tiers increase more as well. All of my main DPSes (Ganyu, Eula, Hu Tao) have talents around 9 average (10/8/8 or 10/9/7, etc) and the difference is quite big lots of the times.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Tanreall posted:

I'll jump on this advice train to add that melt is more important than cryo shred. For me I generally just go Zhongli E > XL E > Venti E > Venti Q > Ganyu Charge attack or Q depending on enemy count. It should result in a Venti Q infused with pyro.

Flair posted:

I will think about it, though my current situation has me placed XL on first half with Sucrose-XQ-Beidou team so that I can clear the first half fast enough.

Well I did get my crit abyss card, and I switched my Venti to EM/Anemo/Em and swirled pyro. I got used to Venti's burst moving the humans on the second half to have consistent headshots. Didnt change teams or made use investments. Got my 3* comfortably, though I now need to get the last star on the 3rd chamber.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Well done, I'm sure you'll get that last star.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Captain France posted:

Although I really don't see how increasing the availability of any character is more FOMO than continuing to have temporarily available characters. Adding 5 stars to the standard pool would probably piss off some people when they first do it, but in the long run "if you miss someone they'll be in standard eventually" feels LESS exploitative, not more.

Turning reruns that you can plan for into a tripled off-banner pool means your odds are so bad of ever seeing that character again that you better pull now AND pull all possible cons you might want.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Tanreall posted:

Well done, I'm sure you'll get that last star.

Well, 12-3 is definitely easy compared to 12-1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm enjoying Ayaka a ton so I am very, very tempted by Mistsplitter, so someone please remind me that the chances of me getting it even if I spend money are extremely low and even if I sink like 150 wishes into the banner I'd probably just get two Skyward Spines at best

Rolling for weapons is a particularly soul-crushing thing because there is zero guarantee at any point (this apparently changed recently, but it's a "super-whale" type pity that only applies if you spend literally multiple hundreds of dollars).

It's only really worth it if you want both weapons on the banner. In that case I'm actually probably more of a proponent of the weapon banner than most, since a good weapon is very nice to have and can be used across multiple characters. But rolling on a banner with one weapon you don't want is just a recipe for getting burned.

edit: One thing I appreciate about this game is that the character banners only feature one 5* character. It removes a big source of pain that other gacha games sometimes have. Arknights has pretty generous rates and a generous pity, but it features two 6* operators on each banner, meaning you can't reasonably guarantee getting a character.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 7, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does anyone have a chart or something showing the approximate resin gost to bring a character up to each level tier?
I accidentally pulled an off-pity Ayaka while trying to get some Ning dupes and now I'm wondering how long it would take to actually get her up-to-par with my (level 80, 8/8/8 talents) Diluc.
My sword selection is pretty bad, too... I basically have Lion's Roar or Favonius Longsword for her. I suppose I could get the Blackcliff sword from the glitter store whenever it rotates back in but that's a month away.

That's the big problem with higher ARs in this game: it just gets more and more grindy+expensive to even try out playing with a new character you've rolled without gimping your team.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Eh. The events and poo poo are pretty generous you shouldn’t be needing that much grinding if you are leveling one character at a time.

Just eyeballing the numbers it’s like 1400 resin for the books and boss drops for the last ascension. So 80/90. Not counting the elemental stone cost cuz that’s weird now that you can freely exchange them. 1400 is like 8-9 days? Idk I guess that’s a lot. I save moons for when I want to be impatient about leveling characters.

Also not counting talents but one characters talents aren’t horribly expensive like maybe a day or three.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If anything I think the last world level vastly speeds up the farming compared to at 35-45. You get so many enemy drops at a time like one pickup can be four grey items (excepting handguards lol) and also bosses drop up to three ascension tokens and idk. Even factoring in having to level up more I think it’s easier than earlier ranks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah I'm AR53 from playing before so at least the mob farming part should be quick.
I'll need to get a whole Blizzard Strayer set too since I didn't have any real cryo characters other than Kaeya before and hadn't touched it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My sword selection is pretty bad, too... I basically have Lion's Roar or Favonius Longsword for her. I suppose I could get the Blackcliff sword from the glitter store whenever it rotates back in but that's a month away.

The new craftable sword Amenoma Kageuchi is good on her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kater posted:

Eh. The events and poo poo are pretty generous you shouldn’t be needing that much grinding if you are leveling one character at a time.

Just eyeballing the numbers it’s like 1400 resin for the books and boss drops for the last ascension. So 80/90. Not counting the elemental stone cost cuz that’s weird now that you can freely exchange them. 1400 is like 8-9 days? Idk I guess that’s a lot. I save moons for when I want to be impatient about leveling characters.

Also not counting talents but one characters talents aren’t horribly expensive like maybe a day or three.

don't forget that it all costs mora, plus you need to level talents as well

standard monster drops can be a problem sometimes too. especially when they use the new stuff from inazuma where you won't have had a lot of time to stockpile

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Finally caught up with the main quest

miHoYo gibe me shibatwink nau

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Flair posted:

The new craftable sword Amenoma Kageuchi is good on her.

Oh, nice!
I've gotta play more inazuma stuff then.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think the pyro cube is the easiest one yet? Its a cool boss fight and its cool how theyve all gotten better since launch. Thing is dangerous but Babs can annihilate its sticky hotness and then it has no hp at all.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Woah, according to the data on this website, 93% of players with 36-star Abyss clears own a Zhongli (and 98% of the players who own him put him in their Abyss teams).

That penniless dork has really moved up in the world since his release.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXp8qKZeHeY

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sayu the hedgehog

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

kater posted:

An A6 Ayaka with 9/8/9 (ignoring weapon) looks like:

Crowning a single talent costs another 700k, 16 purple books and 12 blue guards. Ignoring the weird fungible world boss/gem drops, you can have everything but the mora and talent books inside of a week. The talents are just murder and even if you maximize the days for books it takes multiple weeks.

Carries are the worst. :bang:

Manatee Cannon posted:

standard monster drops can be a problem sometimes too. especially when they use the new stuff from inazuma where you won't have had a lot of time to stockpile

Taking Ayaka to A6 with 10/8/10 takes roughly three complete samurai genocides. Source: I have the sickness. :shepface:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does anyone have a chart or something showing the approximate resin gost to bring a character up to each level tier?

Plug in whatever you want to the planner and then despair. If it's a hypercarry I always assume a minimum of 5k resin (ignoring mora) to get an artifact set suitable.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sPMKqA9zSo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Is that someone modifying her voicelines or re-enacting it? either way lol