Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay look.

It's like asking me to do my homework and telling me that as soon as it's done we're going to Disneyland.

Do you expect the homework to be of high quality? I'm just trying to get through it as fast as possible so I can GO TO DISNEYLAND AND KILL THE EVIL VAMPIRE BUG SATAN THAT'S THERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Natural 20 posted:

I'm just trying to get through it as fast as possible so I can GO TO DISNEYLAND AND KILL THE EVIL VAMPIRE BUG SATAN THAT'S THERE.

:allears:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So are we taking bets on how many times Nat dies to Grimm v2?

I'm gonna say 3.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

1 shot

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
6 deaths

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The specific number doesn't matter as much imo, as whether or not Hoppy Boi is dethroned

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok here is my latest Hollow Knight lore theory now that I'm attempting the White Place myself:

The King is basically that one goon who put a bunch of dumb poo poo in his house, like the loose pebbles all around the bathtub, in the belief that it would impress the chicks

Except the pebbles are buzzsaws

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Something that's not immediately obvious about the Grimmkin is that their charge attack doesn't have to be dodged. You can just hit them out of it.

Therefore, charge the mega buster, wait for them to fly towards you, bam they fly into your attack and get mega damage while you're safe.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Dareon posted:

So are we taking bets on how many times Nat dies to Grimm v2?

I'm gonna say 3.

Have you been watching the same LP I have? Clearly the answer is 0. I'll be very disappointed in Nat if that isn't the case. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Marluxia posted:

Have you been watching the same LP I have? Clearly the answer is 0. I'll be very disappointed in Nat if that isn't the case. :v:

Well, he did die a few times to Grimm v1, which was a few more times than I was expecting!

Also I really enjoyed his joy at a boss giving him a proper challenge too. Grimm beat him fair and square, no bullshit, and that's great.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok here is my latest Hollow Knight lore theory now that I'm attempting the White Place myself:

The King is basically that one goon who put a bunch of dumb poo poo in his house, like the loose pebbles all around the bathtub, in the belief that it would impress the chicks

Except the pebbles are buzzsaws

The White Palace we get to see is someone's dream, though. It's a really messed up dream, for sure, and says a lot about the King, but I dunno if that is the "actual" palace.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Today's early episode is courtesy of my housewarming party.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, you already made it further into the Path than I ever did. That goddamn horizontal buzzsaw room.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You glossed over it on the map, but there was actually a fourth Grimmkin flame in Distant Village. But now it's gone :tinfoil:

Also the statues in the Path of Pain are of the Hollow Knight in its full glory. I never made an earnest attempt at this area but I do like the slow buildup of the music. We've heard it before, but do you remember where?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Today's early episode is courtesy of my housewarming party.
Aw yes, the Path of Pain. :allears:

I managed to beat it after investing 2-3 hours of my life into it, using hiveblood, grubsong, sharp shadow and quickslash.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I played the Path of Pain up to what I think was the last screen, but I bashed my head against it for an hour or so then had to quit the game for time reasons.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Whole lot of Nat going "Okay" when faced with situations that at least deserve an "Oh, gently caress off"

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Unrelated to Path of Pain or the Grimmkin flames, but it's something I'm surprised hasn't come up yet: if you save and quit from the pause menu, it'll transport you to the last bench used while keeping your progress. It's really useful! Makes navigating in endgame much less painful.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Epicmissingno posted:

Unrelated to Path of Pain or the Grimmkin flames, but it's something I'm surprised hasn't come up yet: if you save and quit from the pause menu, it'll transport you to the last bench used while keeping your progress. It's really useful! Makes navigating in endgame much less painful.

Speedrunners do this constantly. It's like having a second dreamgate up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Modded speedruns even have it as a button.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't know how I would've got through this game without quit out warps. My primary complaint is that the world becomes tedious to navigate once you're about 80% through and are spending your time combing over places for poo poo you've missed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

This week's early episode driven by my first holiday in actual years.

Edit: Scratch all that Episode 64 will air on Thursday because I'm dumb didn't encode the advance episodes properly.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 9, 2021

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Aaaaaaaargh I've been trying to see if I could get to some more stuff before Nat but it's tough!

I made it through the White Palace okay (and did more stuff in the king's throne room) and had a go at just the first room of Path of Pain as long as I was there anyway, but gave up on that pretty quick. :cheeky: I really want to get 2400 essence, but Lost Kin beats the crap outta me.

Now my big thing I'm trying to do is beat THE RADIANCE and huh, that is not what I expected the creature behind the yucky explosive acid goo plague to look like! This appears to be the "blazing kin" mentioned in the throne room's hidden flavour text. With that "kin" idea in mind, the spreading-its-wings moment actually reminded me a lot of the Monarch Wings, and on further reflection it also looks a lot like the run of the mill Hallownest seals! So if the King is basically this White Wyrm, I guess it could have a more classic fire wyrm in the family too, right? Does all this whole story just boil down to a leadership dispute? Or is this some Fight Club poo poo? I have some other little threads in the back of my mind, like from when I went to go back and talk to the White Lady some more, but I'll think about them more in depth once I actually get the new ending.

But that's easier said than done, hey. I've been having such a tough time that I even got my house all clean by doing a chore in between each death :v: I took a break to go do the Grey Mourner quest, which I beat using Tea's advice. (and on my way through Blue Lake I found that sweet moment with Quirrel, it's so cool they even make an achievement out of it :3:) So now I at least got the last mask which is enough to let me take one more hit. So now in the wee hours of the night, I came up with a new charm loadout to give it another big serious try.

My usual preferred boss fight/colosseum setup is MEGA NAIL (long nail + mark of pride) to make it as easy as possible for me to hit things. Or maybe swap in quick slash to just slam in as many hits as possible. But none of those seemed necessary for this fight, since dude's always just casually floating there and easy to hit, it's just dodging all the poo poo in the meantime. And even though it's easy to get hits in, having to hop up to do it makes Quick Slash a bit pointless. And by now, I'm so goddamn used to fighting the Hollow Knight that I figured (correctly) I didn't need any longer nail at all to get through his section. So now I'm using Deep Focus and Shape of Unn! (plus Unbreakable Strength but that just goes without saying) This setup was a winner, and finally I got to a totally new stage of the fight...!! ...where now I gotta jump around on platforms and can't just nudge myself left and right a bit to heal up :negative:

Oh that reminds me though, I got a fun screenshot I really like from just looking down first, before starting the challenge for the first time. Oh hey there, roiling void, how ya guys doin.

Anyway, it's been so fun actually exploring the world myself, that having watched Nat do most things first hasn't spoiled my enjoyment at all. So if I gotta watch him get the ending for me it's not a big deal. But it was very cool to have some surprises for myself, when I first saw Hornet standing outside the Black Egg, and when she showed up for the assist :3:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

(spends so long writing up a big spoiler trip report that she doesn't notice there's a new episode post)

Oh but yeah I'm still not touching the Grimmkin stuff, gently caress that lol

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well the Radiance is a moth, the pale king can be possibly attributed to a butterfly in his metamorphosis and motif of rebirth after death

Which reminds me... the Pale King might be "dead" inside of his palace, but his palace is just a dream. possibly the wyrm might revive once more in the future once the plague is passed

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Now my big thing I'm trying to do is beat THE RADIANCE and huh, that is not what I expected the creature behind the yucky explosive acid goo plague to look like! This appears to be the "blazing kin" mentioned in the throne room's hidden flavour text. With that "kin" idea in mind, the spreading-its-wings moment actually reminded me a lot of the Monarch Wings, and on further reflection it also looks a lot like the run of the mill Hallownest seals! So if the King is basically this White Wyrm, I guess it could have a more classic fire wyrm in the family too, right? Does all this whole story just boil down to a leadership dispute? Or is this some Fight Club poo poo? I have some other little threads in the back of my mind, like from when I went to go back and talk to the White Lady some more, but I'll think about them more in depth once I actually get the new ending.

I think Radiance is supposed to be a big rear end moth. Remember when Tea tried to point out that the moth dream warrior recognized he was dead. Also the Seer explicitly gives us the power of dream and as far as I remember is the only entity in the current kingdom, beside the White Lady, that recognizes when you try to dreamnail them. So there's some connection between moths and dreams. This game really has it out for moths.

Fun fact, before Godhome released to let you replay the bosses, there was a mod developed to let you refight Nightmare King Grimm as often as you wanted, and they gave him infinite HP and people just played for as long as they could until they died. There are people that can more or less play it indefinitely. I think it's either scored on how long you last or how much HP you took off.

I think the uppercut is my worst move in this fight. It's reasonably easy to dodge, but I keep thinking I should be hitting him at least once on each of his attacks, and there are definitely safe ways for most of them, but that one is incredibly risky for me and a lot of my deaths are from overextending on that drat move.

Sharp Shadow does extend the dash slightly, by the way. Not by much, however.

Also, I think you might need new controllers. I don't think it's Hollow Knight causing your R button to not work.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Nat is missing one charm notch. There's 11 in the game total, he has 10. I believe it's the fog canyon one?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Marluxia posted:

I think Radiance is supposed to be a big rear end moth. Remember when Tea tried to point out that the moth dream warrior recognized he was dead. Also the Seer explicitly gives us the power of dream and as far as I remember is the only entity in the current kingdom, beside the White Lady, that recognizes when you try to dreamnail them. So there's some connection between moths and dreams. This game really has it out for moths.
She's the moth god, primordial Light as opposed to the Void. The 2400 essence talk spells the whole story out.

I think my favorite part about Grimm is that he sleeps upside down hanging from the ceiling, just like a proper (vampire) bat should.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah as I understand it the moths were the original tribe here and they worshipped the Radiance. Then the pale king came along and gave other bugs sentience, and they worshipped him for it. The moths slowly converted to worshipping him too, which pissed off the Radiance. The Radiance did... something? to piss off the Pale King, presumably borne out of anger/jealousy at losing worshippers, so the Pale King decided to seal away the Radiance. But as we know, that didn't work so well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This fight is great but it's too long IMO. Having beat it with Shape of Unn the first time, healing in between attacks is a trap here and you're much better off learning to dodge and equipping something like Mark of Pride so you can put a bit of distance between yourself and NKG.That said, if you insist on sticking with Shape the best time to use it is during the fire pillar attack since you move just fast enough to dodge them if you go in one direction.

Lynneth posted:

Nat is missing one charm notch. There's 11 in the game total, he has 10. I believe it's the fog canyon one?

Correct.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bike tory posted:

The Radiance did... something? to piss off the Pale King, presumably borne out of anger/jealousy at losing worshippers, so the Pale King decided to seal away the Radiance.

That would be forcibly infecting everybody, I think.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Marluxia posted:

Also, I think you might need new controllers. I don't think it's Hollow Knight causing your R button to not work.

I'm pretty certain this is a game specific problem (or maybe steam specific?) because my Pro controller works fine with my switch as my 20 hours of pokemon unite will attest.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
My controller's R button also stops working when starting Hollow Knight, but it's easily fixed by replugging it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Can you not just bind the dash to another button? I did that when I kept accidentally casting spells, because the Switch's R button is too easy to press when I'm trying to hit ZR.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

bike tory posted:

Yeah as I understand it the moths were the original tribe here and they worshipped the Radiance. Then the pale king came along and gave other bugs sentience, and they worshipped him for it. The moths slowly converted to worshipping him too, which pissed off the Radiance. The Radiance did... something? to piss off the Pale King, presumably borne out of anger/jealousy at losing worshippers, so the Pale King decided to seal away the Radiance. But as we know, that didn't work so well.

So most of what I've gathered is from lore videos, but my understanding is that The Radiance is a Higher Being like the Pale King. The Radiance was responsible for the destruction of the void-worshipping civilization. It also granted bugs intelligence, but was more into collective conscious. Then the Wyrm/Pale King showed up and wanted to make his own kingdom and didn't want another Higher Being playing in his sandbox. He was somehow able to get the bugs of Hallownest to forget about The Radiance, trapping it in the Dreamscape, and removed all evidence that the Radiance ever existed...save for a single statue at the pinnacle of Crystal Peak. Eventually someone found the statue, and this allowed the Radiance to re-enter the dreams of bugs. As you might expect, the Radiance was pretty pissed about being memory-holed, so it compelled the bugs it infected to start wrecking Hallownest. It does this by co-opting the thoughts and emotions of the bugs. To combat this, the Pale King tried to create a being that was devoid of thoughts and emotions and stuff the Radiance into it. Without any points to latch onto, the Radiance would be wholly contained.

As for why this didn't work in practice...that requires finishing the Path of Pain to find out.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Tea wanted to know if he rains fire based on your current or projected position. It's neither: he rains it in a set pattern based on his own position.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Tea wanted to know if he rains fire based on your current or projected position. It's neither: he rains it in a set pattern based on his own position.

Yeah, spoiling how to avoid the move, if you move back enough that the uppercut just misses you, the fireballs won't hit you either. That's probably the easiest way to dodge that move.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ah, Nightmare King Grimm. How I love to hate thee.

I bounced off Hollow Knight a few times because of things like the map system, difficult bosses, etc. I ended up cheesing through a bunch of bosses and getting only the basic ending then leaving it there. I still continued to listen to the hauntingly beautiful soundtrack, watching lore vids and the like, but this is the first LP of it I picked up. Watching Nat20 breeze through everything including Grimm (who I could only beat by cheesing with a spell build) inspired me to get good and give the game another shot.

Beating NKG took me about 3 hours spread through several days. Sharp Shadow is good, but it changes the distance of your dash and that throws me off, so instead I used Dreamshield which hits for about Nail damage (sans Unbreakable Strength) and sometimes hits NKG while he's above or under you which Sharp Shadow couldn't do. I did not heal at all except when he was staggered floating around, which barely is enough to get you one hit's worth of healing against his double mask damage.

I think your approach for the next episodes and the rest of the postgame content is a good one. It's a very briskly paced LP so far and 10+ episodes of bashing your head against the superhard stuff before getting to the ending would be a momentum killer.

Great show, you two. :)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SirPhoebos posted:

So most of what I've gathered is from lore videos, but my understanding is that The Radiance is a Higher Being like the Pale King. The Radiance was responsible for the destruction of the void-worshipping civilization. It also granted bugs intelligence, but was more into collective conscious. Then the Wyrm/Pale King showed up and wanted to make his own kingdom and didn't want another Higher Being playing in his sandbox. He was somehow able to get the bugs of Hallownest to forget about The Radiance, trapping it in the Dreamscape, and removed all evidence that the Radiance ever existed...save for a single statue at the pinnacle of Crystal Peak. Eventually someone found the statue, and this allowed the Radiance to re-enter the dreams of bugs. As you might expect, the Radiance was pretty pissed about being memory-holed, so it compelled the bugs it infected to start wrecking Hallownest. It does this by co-opting the thoughts and emotions of the bugs. To combat this, the Pale King tried to create a being that was devoid of thoughts and emotions and stuff the Radiance into it. Without any points to latch onto, the Radiance would be wholly contained.

As for why this didn't work in practice...that requires finishing the Path of Pain to find out.

As far as I know, this is mostly accurate! However (spoilers for two of the most secretive secrets) there's also whatever the gently caress is gong on with the Land of Storms, and mister mushroom rather blatantly talking about how this cycle with wyrms creating civilizations, only for them to fall to ruin, has been going on for a long, long time, but otherwise yeah it's: wyrm uplifts bugs, wyrm yeets radiance out, big moth lady is angry, the mani mani statue is found again, big moth lady infects the bugs through their dreams because she's really loving mad at the king, king does the thing, it fails for path of pain reasons, king seals away the hollow knight, time passes, game starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also yeah the uppercut is absolutely the worst move NKG has. Don't jump at all, just dash away from his lunge and try to get in a hit before he jumps.

E: And the fire pillar attack is a great time to hit NKG with an Abyssal Shriek, if you remember that move exists.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 9, 2021