Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Also apparently Aizen disappeared, so he’s still out and about as a captain level + threat

Assuming Can't Fear Your Own World is canon, he's just in super jail again. Szayelaporro just wouldn't know that, and it probably seals away his reiatsu as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

Also apparently Aizen disappeared, so he’s still out and about as a captain level + threat

Gosh, who could have guessed that he might break out of prison someday

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth TNT posted:

I think they just meant he “disappeared” from the world since he’s in super jail.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Also I like that spirit funerals take place 12 years after the captain's death. Presumedly for no reason other than that's how long the timeskip was. Plus new hollow lore? Maybe we'll finally get that Ichigo vs. Grand Fisher payoff.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Squad 0 + Genyruusai as villains please.

This could be the stupidest and best Bleach arc ever.

...this poo poo is continuing, right?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is time for me to bring back my lame rear end jokes about double hell.

those were jokes?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Squad 0's not dead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

chumbler posted:

Assuming Can't Fear Your Own World is canon, he's just in super jail again. Szayelaporro just wouldn't know that, and it probably seals away his reiatsu as well.

and if Can't Fear Your Own World isn't canon then what the gently caress are we even doing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm hoping we get some interesting payoff for whatever the hell is going on with Ichigo's kid. He can transition between human and spirit form at will with no need for an external catalyst and does not leave a body behind when doing so, he's got some kind of school of spirit koi fish he can fly around on, and he can summon a spirit portal (or a hell portal?) without using his zanpakuto. Kid's got some poo poo going on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RatHat posted:

The only problem I have with a Bleach sequel(and shonen sequels in general really) is the power level was already so stupidly high at the end of the first series. How do you make new villains and characters if they have to catch up to the main characters who are basically gods now.

Bleach's power scale didn't really go up thaaat much higher tbh from like Hueco Mundo.

Most of the power was from people who never showed their Ban Kai, finally releasing it. Or finding new ways of using their powers.

Like Byakuya is one of the strongest captains. and he didn't really change poo poo over the series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

I'm hoping we get some interesting payoff for whatever the hell is going on with Ichigo's kid. He can transition between human and spirit form at will with no need for an external catalyst and does not leave a body behind when doing so, he's got some kind of school of spirit koi fish he can fly around on, and he can summon a spirit portal (or a hell portal?) without using his zanpakuto. Kid's got some poo poo going on.

Don’t forget about the Yhwach eyes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking off the top of my head about other notable characters who may be likely to show up in hell and aren't accounted for elsewhere, I've got the following.

Bazz B
Haschwalth
Nnoitra
Ulquiorra
Tousen
Gin (hoping for this one in particular)
Previous Kenpachi
Starrk
Any of the dead espada really, but I don't think anyone would be clamoring for Zomarri or Aaroniero to show back up

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Can't Name Your Own Dog

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

chumbler posted:

Thinking off the top of my head about other notable characters who may be likely to show up in hell and aren't accounted for elsewhere, I've got the following.

Bazz B
Haschwalth
Nnoitra
Ulquiorra
Tousen
Gin (hoping for this one in particular)
Previous Kenpachi
Starrk
Any of the dead espada really, but I don't think anyone would be clamoring for Zomarri or Aaroniero to show back up

Aaroniero does count as both an espada and Ukitake's former vice-captain Kaien Shiba, he should have pretty good odds of making an appearance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheHan posted:

Aaroniero does count as both an espada and Ukitake's former vice-captain Kaien Shiba, he should have pretty good odds of making an appearance.

I fully expect we'll see Kaien. IIRC it was pretty heavily implied he was captain-level but slumming it at VC by choice because he didn't want to take over Ukitake's spot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How did it take this long for Bleach to have a gyaru?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Harribel kinda had the look, if not the personality.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Oh question, does this chapter exist in the same continuity as movie 4? I imagine not as Movie 4 was a big mess and Kubo's script was revised so heavily that he wanted his credit removed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Covok posted:

Oh question, does this chapter exist in the same continuity as movie 4? I imagine not as Movie 4 was a big mess and Kubo's script was revised so heavily that he wanted his credit removed.

I guess it's stuff he wanted to do with Hell but never did? lol

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shugojin posted:

I guess it's stuff he wanted to do with Hell but never did? lol

Yeah, this chapter is following the Hell movies tie in comic, even using the same character. I 100% bet this is based on the original premise of Movie 4.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Aaroniero was also explicitly seen in Hell with Szayelaporro

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

Yeah, this chapter is following the Hell movies tie in comic, even using the same character. I 100% bet this is based on the original premise of Movie 4.

Nothing here conflicts with Movie 4 and the villains were prisoners of hell not part of its establishment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, ichigo is acting like he never heard of hell. however, no one is ordering ichigo to recall the events of movie 4 so he has no reason to remember it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He has heard of Hell it showed up in an early chapter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It first showed up when Grand Fischer was purified and he was sent straight to hell for his crimes.

Early Bleach until the end of the Soul Society Arc was :discourse:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

It first showed up when Grand Fischer was purified and he was sent straight to hell for his crimes.

Early Bleach until the end of the Soul Society Arc was :discourse:

Shrieker not Grand Fischer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

well, he heard of it once in passing over a decade ago and it never came up again (aside from the questionably canon movie).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, he heard of it once in passing over a decade ago and it never came up again (aside from the questionably canon movie).

Oh I don’t think the movies events are canon, but how things work in Hell in the movie has not been contradicted.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tbh i don't remember the details of that movie any better than ichigo seems to

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I know the workings of the bleach world are horrible but lmao "if you get too strong we send you to hell when you die" is a fuckin doozy

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The universe in Bleach is pretty awful. If you have an awful life in the human world and die without having your soul cleansed, you become a monster in constant pain from a hole inside you you, unless you are eating the souls of the living. The more souls you eat, the bigger target you paint on your back. If you get strong enough, you are forced to fuse into a mindless monster, unless you have a strong enough will, then you become a Menos with personality. But at this point you need to eat other spirits of the dead because the living won’t really be enough to sustain you. If you don’t keep eating, you will lose your will and become mindless. If you ever get even a bite taken out of you, you won’t be able to get stronger and can only stave off regression into a mindless beast. The constant pain from the hole never stops. Get strong enough that you don’t have to fear regressing and when you eventually die you will be tortured in hell forever.

If you get cleansed you live in ghost poverty until you get eaten by a monster or used in soul reaper experiments. You have a lottery level chance of developing spirit energy that would let you become a soul reaper, but that means you need to eat food now and that’s hard to get while living in ghost poverty. Maybe you’ll be recruited by a soul reaper and not murdered first, but now you live in a militaristic bureaucracy and you will probably get killed by a monster or used as a science experiment unless you are strong as gently caress. But if you get strong as gently caress you will be tortured in hell forever when you die.

The comic does not make it overtly clear that the universe is this awful, to the point where the only characters to rail against or point out how awful it is are Aizen (villain), YWACH (villain), and Urahara (shady as hell). Living in this universe would be almost as bad as living in Berserk’s universe.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Only three new character introduced in 75 pages it's remarkably restrained by bleach standards

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I do wonder how Ichika was able to see the hell Hollows before they revealed themselves to everyone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If you ever get even a bite taken out of you, you won’t be able to get stronger and can only stave off regression into a mindless beast.

If you get a bite taken out of you a Hollow will no longer regress.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Like Byakuya is one of the strongest captains. and he didn't really change poo poo over the series.

TBH I thought that Byakuya was firmly planted as a mid-tier captain through most of Bleach

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That’s not to say he’s weak but Yamasama, twin sword guys and Aizen all seemed to be pretty firmly above him

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s not to say he’s weak but Yamasama, twin sword guys and Aizen all seemed to be pretty firmly above him

Aizen was above basically everyone except Yamamoto and maybe Unohana, and Byakuya is pretty much next in line for leadership after Shunsui. His also has being from one of the four big families is a point toward that as well.

Edit: Or I guess three big families at this point, given CFYOW.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 8, 2021

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Byakuya is probably right in the middle of the original captains. Yamamoto, Unohana, Kenpachi, Aizen and Shunsui are probably the ones stronger than him. We never really got to see what Ukitake was truly capable of though. Definitely above Toshiro, Mayuri, Tosen, Komamura, Soi Fong, and probably above Gin.

Once you add all the Visored guys it's a little more complicated, even more so if you add all the "former" Captains who are certainly above him like Yoruichi, Urahara, and Isshin since they were trading blows with Metamorphosizing Aizen. He's probably on the weaker side once you include them just because Visor power ups.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Urahara really all that strong though? My understanding is that he was weak as hell but smart as hell.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
In Bleach being smart as hell is a huge boon since it means you invented the perfect counter to your opponent before the fight even started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Gologle posted:

Is Urahara really all that strong though? My understanding is that he was weak as hell but smart as hell.

He kind of tosses out high level magic like it's the easiest thing in the world which seems to be a power level thing. Also a running thing with him is his releases being too dangerous to use in sparring because they're so good at murder.

He was also, you know, fast enough to be able to fight with Aizen without getting "NANI" 'd. Pre-transformation Aizen was strong enough to body Ichigo effortlessly and chump most of the captains regardless, and Urahara was fighting with a stronger version of him, even if Aizen was goofing a bit.

At some point being smarter than everyone is a form of power level, too.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 8, 2021