Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah it's just the house style. If they think someone is hurt then the heel is taught to stall for time and ham it up to keep the cameras on them.

Of course there's a difference between, say, Jericho arguing with the ref while they check on PAC and Raquel yelling GET UP over and over like a video game taunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The best response to an injury was Rhea Ripley in MYC 2 when Tegan Nox leg exploded. She didn't taunt her or try to force her back up, she just looked at her disdainfully and shrugged her shoulders maintaining shes a badass heel and then walked away when declared the winner.

Then did poo poo like this
https://mobile.twitter.com/RheaRipley_WWE/status/1057772600728928256

A masterclass into turning a negative into a positive.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lamuella posted:

I think you're forgetting about Scorpio Sky, Riho, and Nyla Rose.

You’re right. Totally forgot them

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Another thing to remember with early AEW is that they started about a year into WWE actively trying to sign literally everyone and so it wasn't like you had a huge picking of potential World Champions out there. The path they've gone with the men's world title (Jericho/Moxley/Omega) is broadly what I'd have done because they are your biggest stars and even if you have the most progressive intentions in the world (which AEW won't since they are a business; although better than WWE) the best way of achieving those goals is to stay in business and that means that you have to entrench yourselves.

What they've done a good job of is identifying people that can add something in the future - who knows how long Anthony Ogogo will be around because of him being beating up after boxing but if they do a UK tour he's someone you stick on the top of shows because people know his name; you've got Will Hobbs and Lee Johnson coming up and there may be others I've missed not being someone that watches AEW weekly; its not like they seem to not be actively trying. On the women's side, well, Britt Baker is the first white person to win that belt and it got to the point where certain people were trying to do the thing where they say that people from East Asia are basically White in order to call AEW out for that which was incredibly funny to read. They could do better but everyone can - perfection is not an achievable goal but a moving target that you always want to be trying to move towards.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean, if you wanna look at minorities being at the top of the card then you've got MJF who is already a top guy and clearly will be a future world champ sooner rather than later. I also believe that this fact gets to the crux of the matter here, namely that since AEW is an actually competently booked promotion you don't necessarily need to hold a title to be a main eventer.

So I guess this is mostly just some kind of WWE brain reasoning where you either are a champ or you're a nobody.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The AEW titles are very protected as well so it can't be just anyone hot shotted to the position, you've got to be a HOT proposition and massively over with the crowd even for the TNT title.

At least Thunder Rosa is the heir apparent for the women's belt and PnP are in fighting contention for the tag belts. If they introduce a lucha influenced trios title as the TNT equivalent of Male tag champion, then the Lucha Brothers are a shoe in.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

A talking coyote posted:

Diamanté is Cuban B, I believe Ivelisse is Puerto Rican though.

Efb

YES!

CUBAN B!

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

quote:

The maddening thing to me is that WWE main roster DOESN’T SEEM TO WANT RETURN ON INVESTMENT IN NXT.

HHH had a marvelous, logical direction for the new NXT developmental. They wouldn’t just develop workers to become wrestlers — teaching wristlocks and slams — they’d develop WWE wrestlers who were ready to work television.

He had the exact same rings set up. He had a stage that mirrored the kind of stage the talent would have access to in WWE. He took scrupulous attention to detail on mirroring the exact angles of the cameras they’d have on WWE tv. He gave them access to veteran professionals who would teach them to walk and talk like TV stars. They all had ready-for-TV gimmicks and gear carefully developed. They had entrance music and graphics.

Yeah, it cost millions. But the idea was that it would DEVELOP all these things so the talent was ready to hit the ground running when they got to the main roster.

It became apparent though, that the egos on the production team on the main roster wasn’t interested in all that.

Aliester Black had the most perfected entrance in the WWE since The Undertaker. The camera angle. Perfected. The music. Perfected. The graphic. Perfected. The way he was shot entering by the ring and shot while he sat waiting to be introduced. All perfected.

…he got to the main roster and Kevin Dunn hosed up the camera angle and the lighting on the rising up gimmick and it looked like poo poo. They hosed with the whole thing over the course of his first few months in the company.

They “fixed” what wasn’t broke. And it sucked.

Why? This was a fully WWE-developed guy. With a fully WWE-developed entrance, from their developmental project that they were spending millions of dollars on…for the purpose of development.

WWE didn’t seem to want the very product of their own millions of dollars in development money. They wanted to stroke the egos of Vince and/or Kevin Dunn, and or whoever else was back there. The old men seemed to revel in HHH and NXT’s perceived “misses” (like Tyler Breeze and No Way Jose, who were immediately slotted by Vince to be booked like job guys, so guess what? The crowd treated them like job guys,) and completely ignore or otherwise try to change the “hits,” like the aforementioned Black. That brings us to recent situations like the burial of their most recent victim and HHH’s biggest investment in years, Karrion Kross, all the way to the lack of care with which Adam Cole has been handled and today’s mass cuts.

If WWE were truly masters of the business of pro wrestling, they would not make dumb business mistakes like this, over and over again. But they aren’t. They hired a “business guy” to come in and cut costs, but he isnt a guy who is capable of talking sense to these old men’s egos. All their new “business guy” knows about is talking “synergy” and “income streams” and other boardroom buzzword poo poo while holding the AXE.

I saw this on Reddit and I couldn’t stop laughing only because it genuinely sounds like HHH wrote it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Reminder the literal first thing they said about Aleister Black on the main roster was that he was moody.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MJeff posted:

Reminder the literal first thing they said about Aleister Black on the main roster was that he was moody.

my memory of Black debuting on the main roster

*creeeeeeeeeeeeak*

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/shortarmdrags/status/1423821796734820359?s=20

Trust the Plan

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Feels appropriate for the long WWE fan rant about developmental to focus 90% of their attention on entrances and nothing on the actual wrestling

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I too belive that a strategy built around trying to get the literal muiltibillionaire family to run out of money is totally going to work.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Do they think that Tony Khan made a deal with a witch that means he has to sign everyone WWE releases?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I too belive that a strategy built around trying to get the literal muiltibillionaire family to run out of money is totally going to work.

The whole concept of this strategy is predicated on the idea that Tony is so stupid he can't help but hire everyone WWE releases for cash that AEW doesn't have coming in. What if he just... doesn't?

e;fb

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The "strategy" backfiring by a third national promotion rising out of the releases would be funny, especially for the takes. "Vince deliberately released all this talent to seed Jeff Jarrett's GFW2 to go to war with AEW"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That reddit post isn’t entirely wrong. It’s focus is on the wrong things but how often did we see people brought up from NXT to the main roster only to have everything that made them cool and good in NXT watered down or removed completely?

The PC has been a massive failure on its own terms which that post ignores though. It was supposed to be WWE’s superstar production line but all it does it waste careers and destroy knees.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

El Generico posted:

The whole concept of this strategy is predicated on the idea that Tony is so stupid he can't help but hire everyone WWE releases for cash that AEW doesn't have coming in. What if he just... doesn't?

e;fb

This is also true, but the fact that this cunning master plan literally can't work even if it goes exactly as that jamoke predicted makes it even funniter to me.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Any plan that depends on your opposition being a moron is probably a terrible plan. I mean, what are the odds you'll run into a second Eric Bischoff in a lifetime?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

Any plan that depends on your opposition being a moron is probably a terrible plan. I mean, what are the odds you'll run into a second Eric Bischoff in a lifetime?

To be fair, they did run into Dixie Carter after Eazy E.

Unfortunately for Vince though Big Bicep Tony actually knows what he's doing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I've said it before, but a lot of the "WWE stans" stuff that's posted in here and the WWE thread does remind me very heavily of Election Night 2020 and the months since, when the Trumpkins got slapped in the face by reality and have been strenuously denying it ever since. I mean, the WWE stans have been denying reality as well for quite a long while already, but in recent months it's felt even more cult-like than usual.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamuella posted:

Let's also remember that putting the title on a PoC doesn't actually mean any part of the rest of the promotion is less racist. Bill Watts was famous for putting the title on a black babyface and trying to build the company around them and he was famously one of the most racist men in a racist industry.

Indeed. Part of Watts' problem (the racism) was he assumed that it was being black that got the Junkyard Dog over and not being one of the most charismatic men to ever step in a wrestling ring.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

boxcarhobo posted:

YES!

CUBAN B!

Love this.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Lamuella posted:

I think you're forgetting about Scorpio Sky, Riho, and Nyla Rose.

also Ricky Starks. FTW champ should count for something

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've said it before, but a lot of the "WWE stans" stuff that's posted in here and the WWE thread does remind me very heavily of Election Night 2020 and the months since, when the Trumpkins got slapped in the face by reality and have been strenuously denying it ever since. I mean, the WWE stans have been denying reality as well for quite a long while already, but in recent months it's felt even more cult-like than usual.

Talk about a venn diagram that's a circle.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The cover is bare in vincel compound

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please ignore the top part

https://twitter.com/mdasadul6353/status/1419860874680930311

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Duke Pukem posted:

also Ricky Starks. FTW champ should count for something

The FTW belt isn't a recognised title :colbert:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Pure

A grade

Corncobbing

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaddaypolony/status/1423963366788378626

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueWeegie/status/1423985468341997572

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueWeegie/status/1424013583671824410

https://mobile.twitter.com/AewCancel/status/1423910183009464322

https://mobile.twitter.com/AewCancel/status/1424031583208624129

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulDHeenan/status/1423980925457731584

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Wait, was CIMA signed to AEW at some point? I assumed he was Freelance between the demise of OWE and his current stuff with GLEAT

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I love how so many of them hate AEW for being an exciting show where stuff happens as opposed to "uhhhhh let's do a double title match on two weeks notice"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol yeah I hate when AEW has title matches and special TV events, terrible

CIMA was a part time thing, he has his own fed. Havoc was released for a loving good reason, jesus christ. Shanna/Kong/Bea's contracts ran down. Ivelisse was never "signed." Mel is still signed lol. The only name I think was actually cut was Sadie Gibbs.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shanna also started getting extremely toxic in the locker room.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Pylons posted:

Shanna also started getting extremely toxic in the locker room.

Shanna legit got her rear end kicked by legit Leyla Hirsch lol

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the ignorance on display, lmao

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

DLC Inc posted:

CIMA was a part time thing, he has his own fed. Havoc was released for a loving good reason, jesus christ. Shanna/Kong/Bea's contracts ran down. Ivelisse was never "signed." Mel is still signed lol. The only name I think was actually cut was Sadie Gibbs.

And wasn't Gibbs more about her being UK based and not able to get to the US during the pandemic?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

A talking coyote posted:

Shanna legit got her rear end kicked by legit Leyla Hirsch lol

I dont know why she thought not tapping to the cross armbreaker immediately was a good idea. Leyla cranked that one when she delayed

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

most of the roster depth issues people harp on AEW tend to forget that international travel was iffy for most of the company's existence and even domestic travel is still fraught with dangers. The fact AEW had anyone for the pandemic shows is a minor miracle. WWE just hauls people down to florida like some triangular trade bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

lol yeah I hate when AEW has title matches and special TV events, terrible

CIMA doesn't really have his own promotion. He probably would have been expendable once AEW started opening forbidden doors just because he's so hated by so many people but the Stronghearts were definitely going to get used regularly in 2020.