Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

9. Final Fantasy 1 Pixel Remaster, all achievements. Went with the party I played as a kid, Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage.

I can't tell how many QOL updates were from prior re-releases, but I liked this. The balance changes are subtle enough that you don't notice, except that you mostly don't have to grind. Obviously you don't whiff of you target something that dies later and you can have more than like four weapons in your inventory. Also I think Ethers are new? The "press Q to fast forward and auto attack" thing is cool and I liked having a map.

Some things I noticed: the Hall of Giants just has two giant combats in it now. As far as I can tell, they took Mindflayers/Sorcerers out of the Ice Cave. You definitely level faster. Chaos definitely has more HP.

Ethers are totally new, and also like they would make mages good. Are the mages still limited to 9 or less spells a level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Ethers are totally new, and also like they would make mages good. Are the mages still limited to 9 or less spells a level?

yup. I think the playstation remake switched to MP but the pixel remaster does it the NES/d&d way. the ethers weren't even expensive, I bought a full stock of them before the final dungeon

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArfJason posted:

tinker, tinker, soldier, soldier.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

11) The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - 4p co-op on Dolphin

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Grand Prix ALL CUPS IN 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, MIRROR AND 200CC 3 STARS)
2. Sonic Advance (Sonic)
3. Alien Syndrome (US version, 1-ALL 1CC no death, reached 2-6) - video
4. Sonic 3 Complete (Knuckles, Tails)
5. Super Mario World (96 exits)
6. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. (no warps, no continues)
7. Truxton II (1-ALL, 1CC) - video
8. Bonk's Adventure (NES)
9. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES, no death)
10. Persona 4 (Normal ending)
11. Castlevania (NES, 1-ALL, no death, game over at 2-4) - video
12. Yakuza Kiwami
13. Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars version, 120 stars)
14. Suikoden
15. Donpachi (Japan, 1-ALL, dead at 2-2) - video
16. Super Metroid (Control Freak hack, 4:00, 60%, saved the animals)
17. Doom (E1, E2 on UV, E3 on HMP, no mid-level saving, pistol start on death)

was going to see it all the way through and play Thy Flesh Consumed too but im kinda sick of classic doom for now. maybe ill come back to it. i want to try 2016 again and see if i like it more

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Resident Evil 3 Remake
2. Super Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury
3. Deus Ex
4. Persona 5 Strikers
5. Nier Replicant
6. Resident Evil: Village
7. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition - Paragon, romanced Liara, Sentinel
8. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - Paragon, didn't cheat on Liara, Infiltrator, all DLC done
9. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - Paragon, synthesis, stayed with Liara, all DLC done
10. Episode of Yuffie
11. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
12. Halo 3 Co-Op (replay)
13. Halo 4 Co-Op
14. Yakuza 4

That finale was cool, but man was playing it a bit miserable. Probably my least favorite of the series so far.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

11) The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - 4p co-op on Dolphin

Awesome. How was it co-op? I've only ever played it single player

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

1. Resident Evil 3 Remake
2. Super Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury
3. Deus Ex
4. Persona 5 Strikers
5. Nier Replicant
6. Resident Evil: Village
7. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition - Paragon, romanced Liara, Sentinel
8. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - Paragon, didn't cheat on Liara, Infiltrator, all DLC done
9. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - Paragon, synthesis, stayed with Liara, all DLC done
10. Episode of Yuffie
11. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
12. Halo 3 Co-Op (replay)
13. Halo 4 Co-Op
14. Yakuza 4

That finale was cool, but man was playing it a bit miserable. Probably my least favorite of the series so far.

yup, its definitely mine. 5 kicks rear end though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza 4 is the worst by a country mile but the good news is that it’s the last game in the series that isn’t incredibly epic because 5, 6, Judgment, and Like a Dragon are all S-tier games

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Catherine Full Body

I didn't look up how to get the Rin ending, so when that whole plot line diffused I was like uhhh Ok then. Rin just very abruptly leaves the game a few nights before the end, and you're just wondering what the point of her being a new addition to the game was, so I'm withholding judgement on that plotline for now.

I did get a general idea of what you're supposed to do though, so I will play it again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yup, its definitely mine. 5 kicks rear end though

imp consensus seems to be that 4 is the worst but I gotta vote for 3. the combat is bad is bad in 3, the mini games are bad, and the story is all given in one long monologue toward the end.

4 at least has Akiyama and saejima and a lot of the side content is fun. 5 is godly though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the combat isn't good in any of them :smugbird:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yakuza 4 is the worst by a country mile but the good news is that it’s the last game in the series that isn’t incredibly epic because 5, 6, Judgment, and Like a Dragon are all S-tier games

the moment at the end of Kiryu's part when he's taken care of all his business in one epic showdown, and then he gets the Majima news, slams his fist on the cab's steering wheel, and realizes he's gonna be dragged back in might be my favorite in the series so far

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think 4's big weakness for me is how its structured so it just starts four times.

And also Tanimura

I'm going to do Yakuza 5 after I play Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and Link to the Past.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

4 has the worst final boss in any game I've ever played. 3 at least had Okinawa and the orphanage stuff which was awesome and a great palate cleanser

I paused on 5 in the middle of Saejima's chapter so I could focus on Nier, plus I needed some time away from Yakuza in general. Could feel the burnout happening

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just hate every boss in this series that's a dude with a gun that runs away from you while 20 of the most obnoxious enemy types in the game hound you.

The final boss in 4 is by far the worst version of that so far.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they should have given all the kids freezframe introductions during the asagao orphanage family meetings. "nana-chan second adoptee of asagoa orphanage a kazama kiryuu company" etc

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

they should have given all the kids freezframe introductions during the asagao orphanage family meetings. "nana-chan second adoptee of asagoa orphanage a kazama kiryuu company" etc

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
river city girls and what a great ending lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kiryu taking grown man swings vs a 10 year old. Ripping the ball 3 miles into the air

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
11. Resident Evil Zero

Wasn't a fan. Limited inventory and no stashes made managing items really annoying.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Kiryu taking grown man swings vs a 10 year old. Ripping the ball 3 miles into the air

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The kid faceplanting while trying to chase after it makes me laugh every time

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Awesome. How was it co-op? I've only ever played it single player

It legitimately nearly caused a rift between two of my friends lol, I'm glad we're done with it.

I'd also only played it single player before and it has to be the most different possible experience between SP and MP of any game I've played that's not explicitly competitive.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Is four swords worth playing SP, I've always just pegged it as a MP game and ignored it because of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plebian Parasite posted:

Is four swords worth playing SP, I've always just pegged it as a MP game and ignored it because of it.

four swords or four swords adventures? neither are exactly top tier games IMO but adventures has a decent single player experience. you can't even play four swords single player unless you have the anniversary edition.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Grand Prix ALL CUPS IN 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, MIRROR AND 200CC 3 STARS)
2. Sonic Advance (Sonic)
3. Alien Syndrome (US version, 1-ALL 1CC no death, reached 2-6) - video
4. Sonic 3 Complete (Knuckles, Tails)
5. Super Mario World (96 exits)
6. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. (no warps, no continues)
7. Truxton II (1-ALL, 1CC) - video
8. Bonk's Adventure (NES)
9. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES, no death)
10. Persona 4 (Normal ending)
11. Castlevania (NES, 1-ALL, no death, game over at 2-4) - video
12. Yakuza Kiwami
13. Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars version, 120 stars)
14. Suikoden
15. Donpachi (Japan, 1-ALL, dead at 2-2) - video
16. Super Metroid (Control Freak hack, 4:00, 60%, saved the animals)
17. Doom (E1, E2 on UV, E3 on HMP, no mid-level saving, pistol start on death)
18. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

i beat episode 4 and got the ending and credits and stuff, obv im going to do the extra episode with in training's old avatar, and then of course the rest of the games. like ill probably start it tomorrow. but im not just gonna not add it to my list right now, that would be crazy. anyways what a great game

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Cool structure to this game, wasn't what i was expecting. they really improved the combat from the original and toned down the screen effects so overall its an improvement

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
nier replicant, dleleted nier, then got ending E and restored him, i’m amazed how the game holds up. i should replay automata now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

29. Gravity Rush 2. weird rear end game. Feels like it had 4 different stories planned and they couldn't decide what to do and they just put it all in one game. I really liked all of the alien planetoid platforming levels that were completely separate from open world cities, they had no idea how to make fun missions in the city. So many instafail stealth sequences or endlessly boring battles. I think 1 was better but it's been a while since I played it. The third act that's a out of left field escalation to god killing is pretty cool

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Dragon Warrior VII - this game is long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frenz posted:

Dragon Warrior VII - this game is long

congrats. does the ps1 version have any postgame stuff