Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

junan_paalla posted:

Don't worry, they'll make a full remake of the anime starting from the beginning once the manga ends.

... right??

Of course they will, it'd be immensely profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Starsfan posted:

I mean I know we're talking storybook magical manga logic here, but wouldn't causing some biological organism to age 18 years instantaneously cause all the cells in it's body to die? By what mechanism would he "grow" into a much larger adult, all we've seen so far is Shinobu using her power to make things crumble or rot away into nothingness.

Yeah, maturing from a child into adulthood and ageing are two different, unrelated things so I guess Shinobu's fruit should make him an old man who still has the body of a kid if it just ripens or ages stuff. But this is the same world where you can regrow teeth that've been punched out by drinking a tall glass of milk so we just gotta roll with it.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Momo is definitely going to get aged up because it pays off his father's symbolic debts to Wano country.

Oden was a gigantic manly man who nevertheless chose to abandon his kingdom in a way that, good-natured or not, was selfish, childish and led to his people becoming slaves. He chose to extend his "childhood" of adventure indefinitely when his people desperately needed a real Shogun, and it led to the fall of Wano.

For Momo to voluntarily sacrifice his own childhood, permanently and irrevocably, for no other reason than that his people need him, is the precise opposite. He's not responsible for what his father did - but nevertheless, he'll take responsibility, because the Shogun must do so. And in doing so, he'll prove himself to be far, far more fit for the position than his father ever was.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So watching these Merphy videos I realized something: is there a single father-son relationship between biological parent and child where the parent isn't a piece of poo poo in this series? Like at best you get Dragon who's just one hundred percent neglectful and absent. Every good dad in the series is adoptive to some degree.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doffy and his dad.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I mean, there's King Neptune and his sons. They have a good relationship. But yeah, I couldn't think of any other at the top of my head.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Bege seems to really care about Pez but there's plenty of time for him to screw that up.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Nuebot posted:

So watching these Merphy videos I realized something: is there a single father-son relationship between biological parent and child where the parent isn't a piece of poo poo in this series? Like at best you get Dragon who's just one hundred percent neglectful and absent. Every good dad in the series is adoptive to some degree.

Kyros and Rebecca are good, even if the writing around them can be iffy at points, and Oden also seemed to be a pretty decent dad. Cobra, Riku, and Neptune are also all-right enough.

I guess the solution to Dad issues in One Piece is Just Be A Princess.

Edit: Didn't notice the Father-Son specification, anyway the Momo-Oden bond is fine, even if Kin'emon stepped in post-mortem to be an Even Gooder Dad.

LunarCress fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 7, 2021

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One Piece is a world where biological parents are nearly universally terrible, while adoptive parents are mostly fantastic. Like, bio-mom all time best is probably Portgas D Rogue and bio-dad all time best is probably oasis water guy in Alibasta. Both good people, but nowhere near the league of Bellemere or Whitebeard.

Starsfan posted:

has Shinobu ever used her powers on a human being before? Not in the story atleast, where it was assumed by the fanbase that her ripe ripe fruit only worked on inanimate objects.. this seems like it would be an insanely dangerous thing to try for the first time on someone... I mean I know we're talking storybook magical manga logic here, but wouldn't causing some biological organism to age 18 years instantaneously cause all the cells in it's body to die? By what mechanism would he "grow" into a much larger adult, all we've seen so far is Shinobu using her power to make things crumble or rot away into nothingness.

all i'm saying is maybe she should do a test run on a baby bird or something like that first lol... maybe Caribou has a pet in his storage

Part of having Devil Fruit Powers is that you know if you can do something or not. If you think about doing something, you just know if it's possible to do. Which goes back to Crocodile's little convo with Luffy about how there are no poo poo Devil Fruits, only unimaginative users.

So the dangers involved here are probably just her over/undershooting the age she's going for or comically over/under aging his cloths/hair/nails.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LunarCress posted:

Kyros and Rebecca are good, even if the writing around them can be iffy at points, and Oden also seemed to be a pretty decent dad. Cobra, Riku, and Neptune are also all-right enough.

I guess the solution to Dad issues in One Piece is Just Be A Princess.

Edit: Didn't notice the Father-Son specification, anyway the Momo-Oden bond is fine, even if Kin'emon stepped in post-mortem to be an Even Gooder Dad.

Oden is dead so I'd hesitate to call him lovely, but he is dead. Neptune and Bege seem to be good points though. Bege being so in love with his family has been one of my favorite weird side stories.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

Part of having Devil Fruit Powers is that you know if you can do something or not. If you think about doing something, you just know if it's possible to do. Which goes back to Crocodile's little convo with Luffy about how there are no poo poo Devil Fruits, only unimaginative users.

So the dangers involved here are probably just her over/undershooting the age she's going for or comically over/under aging his cloths/hair/nails.

I don’t think this is true at all. When Luffy, Kaku, and Kalifa ate their fruits they didn’t know what their powers were at all. They had to experiment to figure out what they could do. Using devil fruit powers probably has an intuitive aspect to it but the users don’t just automatically know how they work.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 7, 2021

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They don't seem to know what they can do out the gate. However they do seem to know if they can do something when they think of doing that thing.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Well, Kaku's fruit was just a zoan type that turned him into a giraffe man with typical giraffe abilities. Nothing complicated or unusual.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
From my understanding most fruit powers are just at least semi-active by default and require conscious effort to turn “off” unless it’s something like the Gum Gum fruit (which then has the problem of giving you an entirely new body that you can’t always control) since Ace iirc couldn’t completely control his fruit even up until he died. So most people just eat a fruit, point at something, and oops it’s covered in wax.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

jassa posted:

I don't feel like this is a good solution to that problem though. He'll still be a scared 8 year old child but in a much older (potentially adult) body, which is pretty disturbing really.

He already has the respect of the samurai army, between his speech at the prison, and the bravery he showed in front of them while a captive of Kanjuro and later when he was facing execution. It's more important for him to grow up mentally and emotionally than physically right now, that's the lesson Luffy has been trying to impart on him this whole time.

As for the powerup 'argument', even if he gets some base strength/size increases he's not going to have the skills or experience required for him to actually be of use in this fight. He won't have be familiar in his new body, won't have haki, and won't even be any better at using his dragon form. The most he could possibly hope for is to give Kaido a momentary shock as he sees another large dragon and/or someone resembling Oden. It might have made more sense if Momo had done this when he first arrived back at Wano and if he'd trained intensely since then.

This just feels like it'd be a big misstep on so many levels, so I really hope Luffy intervenes and shuts it down before it happens.

Many of the Red Scabbards were already sent into the future years ago. This is Momo's chance to catch up to where he's 'supposed' to be, right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yes, the nature of the Gum Gum fruit pushed Luffy to be more creative about using it's abilities than most Devil Fruit users are with theirs. The lack of creativity with their powers is a semi-ongoing theme in the series since we've seen it brought up by Crocodile directly and had it referenced in how rookie logia have a tendency to get stomped the first time they run into haki. Foxy is like the poster child of this phenomena. Even Robin clearly fell into this trap and only really began expanding beyond making just a new limb or body part around Thrillerbark.

Bonny just knows how to make something younger, it's a basic part of her devil fruit. Kaku just knew how to become a giraffe too, but had to figure out specific and minute applications such as only making part of his body turn into a giraffe and then combining that with martial arts. Buggy getting quasi-flight is a non-innate application of his fruit(even if it's pretty intuitive). Chopper used his medical knowledge and the fact that he's a reindeer that ate a human fruit, not a human who ate a reindeer fruit, to create rumble balls and increase his transformation abilities.

Which is precisely why it's super unlikely that previous people who took a bite of gum gum were busting out Luffy's gears. That in turn means that the government wanting the Gum Gum fruit for gigantification experiments seems unlikely. Some other nature or use of a rubber person/thing almost certainly was the goal, though given the value of a Devil Fruit it could have just been normal resource gathering intentions. 130 million berries, I think that's the price tag we've been given for a generic fruit, is a whole lot of money just drifting around the East Blue.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Buggy's fruit has as much potential if not more than Luffy's, he just doesnt try

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo this chapter

DEMON CHILD ROBIN

Hack was great. "C'mon, she's strong enough already with all those dislocation moves, don't bother her!"

Caribou coming in clutch, I love it.

mabels big day posted:

I think Buggy's fruit has as much potential if not more than Luffy's, he just doesnt try

I always liked how Mihawk was kinda dumbfounded by the fact that he couldn't injure Buggy at all since he's completely immune to cutting attacks.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

Pound is a good dad.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
:sickos:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gyges posted:

So, going by the Jump Cover, Bleach is back?

Just for a one-shot that announced a new arc coming soon

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Foxy is my favorite example of someone who has a completely broken devil-fruit power that would probably make the user unstoppable if they had any real ambition to use it, but it's in the hands of a total moron who mostly just uses it to cheat at boat races and poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mabels big day posted:

He could probably disperse himself into a cloud of particles, giving himself quasai-logia attack avoidance. Also maybe Flash style phasing powers by moving his atoms between the spaces of the atoms in things.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Foxy is my favorite example of someone who has a completely broken devil-fruit power that would probably make the user unstoppable if they had any real ambition to use it, but it's in the hands of a total moron who mostly just uses it to cheat at boat races and poo poo.

You know I keep hearing how Foxy has a broken unstoppable devil fruit but I aint buying it. There just isn't a whole lot you can do with that power besides slowing things down for half a minute; fans always gotta theorycraft upgraded attacks or abilities when we have no idea that can even be done with said ability. Even if whatever clown car powers the fanbase projects on split-head, it is really hard for me to buy that it would surpass something like any decent Logia or truly broken abilities like Sugar's, or if he could even come close to going toe-to-toe with a real power player.

He cheeses his dumb ability for easy wins and sits in the Paradise area; a glorified King Mook with a gimmick power, nothing else to see here.

White Light fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 7, 2021

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Parrotine posted:

You know I keep hearing how Foxy has a broken unstoppable devil fruit but I aint buying it. There just isn't a whole lot you can do with that power besides slowing things down for half a minute; fans always gotta theorycraft upgraded attacks or abilities when we have no idea that can even be done with said ability. Even if whatever clown car powers the fanbase projects on split-head, it is really hard for me to buy that it would surpass something like any decent Logia or truly broken abilities like Sugar's, or if he could even come close to going toe-to-toe with a real power player.

He cheeses his dumb ability for easy wins and sits in the Paradise area; a glorified King Mook with a gimmick power, nothing else to see here.

I've never seen anything about some special powers someone else could get out of it, when I've seen it it's always been in the context of like "imagine a physical monster like Garp or Sanji with that fruit." Someone with the actual tools to take advantage of it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I feel like Foxy's fruit would be a near-guaranteed win button, but only in the hands of someone who is already a power player. Someone who is strong without a fruit, like Zoro or Killer, would be unstoppable if they could just freeze their foe in place to guarantee they land the death blow. Like the user needs to also be strong enough to take out their opponent within those 30 seconds, no matter what.

...but anyone strong enough to be that good without a fruit is pretty much already doing fine, and any fruit would help. The Noro Noro is a win button for anyone who is already strong enough to win. Just like how the Chop Chop fruit is on par with the Gum Gum fruit, but Buggy is just a far physically weaker person than Luffy so he can't take advantage of it the same way. That's just how any fruit works.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

gnome7 posted:

I feel like Foxy's fruit would be a near-guaranteed win button, but only in the hands of someone who is already a power player. Someone who is strong without a fruit, like Zoro or Killer, would be unstoppable if they could just freeze their foe in place to guarantee they land the death blow. Like the user needs to also be strong enough to take out their opponent within those 30 seconds, no matter what.

...but anyone strong enough to be that good without a fruit is pretty much already doing fine, and any fruit would help. The Noro Noro is a win button for anyone who is already strong enough to win. Just like how the Chop Chop fruit is on par with the Gum Gum fruit, but Buggy is just a far physically weaker person than Luffy so he can't take advantage of it the same way. That's just how any fruit works.

i feel like blackbeard would hunt foxy down for that fruit tbh

imagine van augur with it lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

XkyRauh posted:

Many of the Red Scabbards were already sent into the future years ago. This is Momo's chance to catch up to where he's 'supposed' to be, right?

yes, momo was sent into the future (along with kinemon, raizo, kiku and kanjuro) so they're all 20 years younger than they are "supposed" to be at this year in the story. but i'll note here, because the way you wrote it is a little ambiguous, but they haven't been in the "future" (the present to us) all that long, it's only been a few months at most since they've arrived, coinciding more or less with the strawhats reunion at shabondy give or take

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

anime was right posted:

i feel like blackbeard would hunt foxy down for that fruit tbh

imagine van augur with it lol

On a similar note I’m definitely expecting Blackbeard to track down Orochi’s fruit later on since I’m not expecting him to survive this arc. Maybe Momo will lop his final head off? His fruit on someone competent would be terrifying, or hell man feed it to the drat boat, the possibilities are endless!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Drakkel posted:

I kinda figure his fruit falls under the Law category of “weird JRPG status ailment poo poo haki no-sells” so it’s probably well that he’s just kind of a jerk sometimes instead of being another Moria slowly building a massive army to invade the New World.

Speaking of, wonder if we’re gonna get another Moria encounter before the series is over. He looked pretty hosed last we checked but really that’s nothing new for him, plus the dude lost hundreds of crew members he genuinely loved to Kaido so he’s probably gonna feel a lot differently about Luffy if they meet up again.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Last Celebration posted:

Speaking of, wonder if we’re gonna get another Moria encounter before the series is over. He looked pretty hosed last we checked but really that’s nothing new for him, plus the dude lost hundreds of crew members he genuinely loved to Kaido so he’s probably gonna feel a lot differently about Luffy if they meet up again.

I kind of figure the final arc is going to have literally every living character from the series appear, most of them fighting on Luffy's side.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cloks posted:

I kind of figure the final arc is going to have literally every living character from the series appear, most of them fighting on Luffy's side.

Yeah. He’s going to be the pirate king dude.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It took me watching episode 986 of the dub to realize that Scratchman Apoo looks like a Jet Set Radio Future character, probably someone you pick up before Cube in the sewers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Parrotine posted:

It took me watching episode 986 of the dub to realize that Scratchman Apoo looks like a Jet Set Radio Future character, probably someone you pick up before Cube in the sewers.

I assume you mean the sub because the dub is not nearly that far!

Speaking of which, rip Brad Venable, Apoo's English VA :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gnome7 posted:

Even if you aren't a power player, walking up to a frozen dude and shooting him in the head is very effective. You probably can't even use haki to break out when you're already hit since your time is stopped. Using just the noro-noro beam as stated should be more than enough to be a heavy weight in the world. The team and individual uses are just so massive and easily grasped.

Instead he's using that isakai cheat ability level power to cheat in pirate pick up games. It's like using the Hubble telescope to peep into your own bathroom.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

I assume you mean the sub because the dub is not nearly that far!

Speaking of which, rip Brad Venable, Apoo's English VA :(

Well drat, I was already bummed enough about Blackbeard’s old voice actor. :(

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I couldn't find an anime thread, so I hope it's ok to talk about the anime here. I am at the fishman village episodes, and Nami has just killed usopp Now I don't think for a second that's what actually happened. Though I did want to talk about how a few episodes earlier, I teared up when all of the chefs and Sanjin started crying when he left which ruled. I think the first 20 episodes were kind of really bad, but they're quickly picking up. I am kind of falling love with Zorro as well, there's just something nice to be said about him wanting to take the direct course of action, and I actually busted a gut when I realized that it wasn't going to just be a bit, and they legit just abandoned him to some monsters. The cow thing is loving crazy, and I need to see more weird poo poo like that. The weird octopus dude loving rules as well, I just find him silly and fun. I'm patiently, but expectantly waiting for the skeleton with an afro, which of I do not know anything, not even what his voice sounds like, but man I want to see what is UP with that skeleton dude.

Pearl was a cool anime mid-boss, and the kind of interesting design that is what kind of inspires me to draw and poo poo. Same with Gin, though I know I'm still a little girl, because I giggled when they talked about his powerful massive balls.

Anyways, anime is cool, and I like reading people's reactions and kind of journalling, and I'm back on this poo poo.

My boy Luffy still has faith in Nami, and I loving love him for it.

Sanjin is a big dummy and I love everything about it, I'm almost 200% sure that Zorro would kill him no problem though.

Also I am constantly oscillating between Luffy being very very smart and insightful, and actually being a huge idiot.

Did this dude just eat a cannonball? lmao.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 8, 2021

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
You’re some three hundred episodes away from skeleton man, so keep that patience close to your heart. As with all things One Piece, it’s worth the journey to get there.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I started rewatching the anime from the beginning recently too, and had totally forgotten that even in his first proper fight Zoro was already wounded and let his opponent wound him further to give them a handicap because he's just that badass :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So Nami, Luffy, Zorro, and Sanjin were all adopted or raised by mentors that weren't family by blood. That is insanely cool.