Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

:69snypa:

snergle has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Sagebrush posted:

I learned that those crying horse lady pictures are from an event where you are given some random horse to ride instead of your own, and the horse wasn't working with her and that's why she hosed up? And that just sounds stupid as poo poo, like having to do synchronized swimming with a random selection of swimmers from other teams. So, as usual, I blame the IOC and/or whatever equestrian body came up with the event being a bunch of loving dumbass assholes for this one.

Mastering a random horse is a part of the sport, that also includes fencing and target shooting. Has to do with being an officer in the 1700s.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

doverhog posted:

Mastering a random horse is a part of the sport, that also includes fencing and target shooting. Has to do with being an officer in the 1700s.

Pretty forward thinking of the ancient greeks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Personally I can't wait for Olympic esports

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sagebrush posted:

I learned that those crying horse lady pictures are from an event where you are given some random horse to ride instead of your own, and the horse wasn't working with her and that's why she hosed up? And that just sounds stupid as poo poo, like having to do synchronized swimming with a random selection of swimmers from other teams. So, as usual, I blame the IOC and/or whatever equestrian body came up with the event being a bunch of loving dumbass assholes for this one.

I thought it was elon musk

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first modern Olympics included poetry, sculpture, and pistol duels.

All of which we should revive.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

doverhog posted:

Mastering a random mouse sensitivity is a part of the sport, that also includes lane juggling and headshotting. Has to do with being an officer in the 2020s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Olympic laser tag when?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just get me Olympic Calvinball

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

The first modern Olympics included poetry, sculpture, and pistol duels.

All of which we should revive.

you telling me they had actual sculpting as a spectator sport in the olympics of yore, but now they're dragging their feet on esports :thunk:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

BonHair posted:

Just get me Olympic Calvinball

I think they tried that once but put a stop to it when one of the players ended up owning the whole stadium and they had to stop the whole olympics.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Olly-wolly pollywoggy ump bump fizz.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Biplane posted:

you telling me they had actual sculpting as a spectator sport in the olympics of yore, but now they're dragging their feet on esports :thunk:

I mean TV didn't exist yet so it was more like a bunch of sculptors would submit their work and judges would award the best ones with gold,silver, or bronze.

The pistol duels were done with wax bullets and with armour and masks not unlike modern paintball gear.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Triple jump is basically platformer logic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You may be kidding but I think it will happen. The IOC is investing heavily in eSports already.

If I had to guess, there might be a whole third set of games some day. It's not like eSports are for summer or winter.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nothing will ever be as good as the 1904 Olympic marathon.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-1904-olympic-marathon-may-have-been-the-strangest-ever-14910747/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Olympic esports is GDQ.

Only reason it wouldn't be is that GDQ is fun to watch and doesn't kill people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The pistol duels were done with wax bullets and with armour and masks not unlike modern paintball gear.

That sounds awesome, bring it back!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Olly-wolly pollywoggy ump bump fizz.

Get Rid Of Stupid eventS

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Like all the time?

That requires going outside.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Olympic ikaruga speedruns

Competitive Star Control

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Our favorite Jon Bois did a great video regarding this marathon in Pretty Good fashion.

Ah gently caress I was too late :argh:

Jisae has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Aug 7, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently she was also DQd for punching the horse?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Azhais posted:

Olympic ikaruga speedruns

Competitive Star Control

Star Control is kinda badly balanced tbh. If it wasn't it would be sick as hell

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently she was also DQd for punching the horse?

That was her coach. She failed the section for not being able get the horse to jump the barriers in time.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dabir posted:

Yeah if you want a better-balanced star control, you have to go with the superior second entry in the series, kind of like dark souls

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Three posts of the Jon Bois video. Nice.

But no mention of breakdancing being in the next Olympics?

Shameful.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dabir posted:

What do you mean, having a pkunk ship resurrect 12 times in one battle is completely balanced

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Olympics are a corrupt sham event but even ignoring that, horses have no place at the Olympics

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah if you want a better-balanced star control, you have to go with the superior second entry in the series, kind of like dark souls

SC2 is even less balanced! Has some really sick ships but the Thraddash is awful

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
The horse should get a free hit on the coach imo

freeedr posted:

Three posts of the Jon Bois video. Nice.

But no mention of breakdancing being in the next Olympics?

Shameful.

Knowing how they hosed up climbing this year, it's going to be like a combined score event of 1v1 power battles, group sets that are just commandos, and tap dancing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

bike tory posted:

The Olympics are a corrupt sham event but even ignoring that, horses have no place at the Olympics
Yeah, it should be "hotwire an old car and run a rally stage"

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lol
Read the whole thing in a old timey announcer voice

Can you imagine if they gave the gold to the dude who hitched a ride in a car

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL, simpler times.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

The horse should get a free hit on the coach imo

Knowing how they hosed up climbing this year, it's going to be like a combined score event of 1v1 power battles, group sets that are just commandos, and tap dancing.

Riverdance.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

LifeSunDeath posted:

LOL, simpler times.

An elegant pastime for a more civilized age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

A Dr McElroy cameo! Nice!