Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol i didn't even know will smith was in the original. i thought leto was weird and so didn't see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

i say swears online posted:

lol i didn't even know will smith was in the original. i thought leto was weird and so didn't see it

I just watched the original suicide squad for the first time last night. It is a mediocre movie that has flashes of what could have been throughout.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yeah and suicide squad is bombing. Jungle cruise bombed the week before to. If we are lucky this will be the end of movies.

Edit: I'm mistaken. The drop off for jungle cruise is insane. I guess the first week was a huge success.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Aug 7, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good, they've made too many movies, stop making them so I can catch up!!!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I for one welcome the death of cinema and also death in general

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
if movies were a tight 90 minutes they'd still be popular

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

500 good dogs posted:

if movies were a tight 90 minutes they'd still be popular

This is my favorite dumb cinema guy take.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I watch movies at 2x speed because they're just too damned long

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mr Hootington posted:

Mad Max Fury road is 120 minutes long and tight as gently caress.

Avengers endgame is like 4000000 minutes long and a sloppy mess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
90 minutes is the perfect length for a low budget action film but those dont exist anymore i guess

They need to make the next marvel movie on a 100k budget then i will be interested in it. Imagine, no cgi, no actors you recognize, filmed in croatia, they can only afford one explosive

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lots of free minefields still left there

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Spuckuk posted:

Mad Max Fury road is 120 minutes long and tight as gently caress.

Avengers endgame is like 4000000 minutes long and a sloppy mess.

pretty much all overly long comic book movies are terrible tho. BvS, endgame, dark knight rises.

that's not fair.

then you look at something like lawrence of arabia and realize it isn't the length

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

bvs and dkr are both excellent though, and the exactly-two-hours theatrical justice league is trash for a bin

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

bvs and dkr are both excellent though, and the exactly-two-hours theatrical justice league is trash for a bin

i mean this just isn't true and we shouldn't entertain mad ramblings and cope

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

bold of you to come out in favour of the theatrical justice league, but we respect all opinions here

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

bold of you to come out in favour of the theatrical justice league, but we respect all opinions here

i was talking about the far more offensive content in your post. the theatrical release was funny because of what it did to the original work

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I have the similar argument about album length.
The cd grew the Vinyl / Cassette album length of under 45 minutes to an Hour and 20 minutes
(1:20 is how long a single play of Beethoven's 9th symphony was)

And that choice turned music into garbage

You had two types of albums that would go over that 45 minutes.
Albums where there are at most 3 good songs and the rest are garbage

or albums where every song is middling
and suffers because every song either needs more craft time,
or the creativity was spread out among too many songs.
wasted potential

And rap music suffered the most from this.
It's really easy for a rapper to say one line and the entire songs to be ruined.
Making a 4:30 songs over an an hours and 20 minute long album provides a lot room to say a lot of half rear end lines.

instrumentals are just boring, nobody outside of hardcore music people get mad at chord progressions.
Secret tracks.

edit: Also skits, suck

There are some long albums good, but those albums were made at the right time and right conditions.
Like the Chronic, or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness,
All things pass should have been a model for making longer albums,
you chunk songs up into smaller themes that still flows together.
but no,

drat you Jim jones, Pray IV Rain, and that half assed catchy chours: na na na na na nah

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Aug 7, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Judakel posted:

how boring do you have to be to take issue with what scorsese said. just collect your check man

the best response is easily zack snyder going "oh yeah he's totally right about superhero films. not mine though, i'm different"

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah, its cool and good. Most of the movies that are 2+ hours long don't deserve that length.

Being long doesn't make a movie inherently bad but there better be a goddamn reason a movie is pushing 2 and a half hours and most of the AAA offerings don't have one.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

StashAugustine posted:

the best response is easily zack snyder going "oh yeah he's totally right about superhero films. not mine though, i'm different"

i love him as a person

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Nah, its cool and good. Most of the movies that are 2+ hours long don't deserve that length.

Being long doesn't make a movie inherently bad but there better be a goddamn reason a movie is pushing 2 and a half hours and most of the AAA offerings don't have one.

Nope it is stupid. Length of the movie doesn't matter. The quality of the movie matters.

Edit: for those that need short movies might I suggest cocomelon or pinkfong on YouTube. Lots of independent short movies you can enjoy.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

josh04 posted:

No, they are both bad films.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Nope it is stupid. Length of the movie doesn't matter. The quality of the movie matters.

Edit: for those that need short movies might I suggest cocomelon or pinkfong on YouTube. Lots of independent short movies you can enjoy.

i got some short films for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx0HzBiaVn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrl-66m9lO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope cinema doesn't die before Denis Villeneuve can give us a dune franchise upto and including God Emperor.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i have become one with a sandtrout and i can foresee dune making 2 dollars at the box office

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
If Americans were not so dead set against Animation
We would have had well animated Dune and animated Games of Thrones.

Episodic television is eating the movie's audience.
And it should.
Movies are both too long and too short.

Too long, in that you have to sit there and watch it for hours.
and too short because if you're actually invested in the characters, you want more.

Movies are not made to entertain people
they're are there to be talked about.

It's like the difference between a episodic novel and a short story/short novel.

Don Quixotie's episodic stories
vs
Short stories like The lottery.
They can turn the lottery into a good movie.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Aug 7, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

I just watched the original suicide squad for the first time last night. It is a mediocre movie that has flashes of what could have been throughout.

The only thing I remember from the movie is a weird transition between scenes where it seems like will Smith/Margot Robbie had just hosed on camera in a stairwell, and their characters were smirking about it with each other, and the scene just doesn't exist and it's weird as hell

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mandatory lesbian posted:

90 minutes is the perfect length for a low budget action film but those dont exist anymore i guess

They need to make the next marvel movie on a 100k budget then i will be interested in it. Imagine, no cgi, no actors you recognize, filmed in croatia, they can only afford one explosive

Scott Adkins had made a couple dozen awesome low budget action movies that clock in between 90 and 100 minutes

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

God Hole posted:

a major point of discussion in the Green Knight CD thread was that it was boring as gently caress and needed a battle scene to spice things up

yeah thats why i wanted to talk about it here, the CD thread was driving me insane. "i guess if you like boring pretentious art movies this is for you" says board that considers the transformers movies subtle outsider art critique of hollywood

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"i don't get it"
ITS LITERALLY A STORY ABOUT A DUDE LEARNING TO BE AN HONORABLE KNIGHT THATS IT THATS THE STORY. yeah there's a lot of other stuff going on with the "man versus nature" and mythic history and blah blah blah but it's like the simplest loving story to follow. Fuckers bitch and moan about how modern movies spoonfeed you everything and "don't get" the simplest loving story ever written

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

I hope cinema doesn't die before Denis Villeneuve can give us a dune franchise upto and including God Emperor.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
loved the death stranding prequel (the green knight). bold exploration of the magical power of cum

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BvS was one of my favorite so-bad-it-was-funny movie experiences and I loved that i wasn't the only one in the theater occasionally laughing out loud at so much of the stupid poo poo

I went into it knowing exactly what to expect and I came out thoroughly entertained though definitely not in the way they intended

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Peanut President posted:

"i don't get it"
ITS LITERALLY A STORY ABOUT A DUDE LEARNING TO BE AN HONORABLE KNIGHT THATS IT THATS THE STORY. yeah there's a lot of other stuff going on with the "man versus nature" and mythic history and blah blah blah but it's like the simplest loving story to follow. Fuckers bitch and moan about how modern movies spoonfeed you everything and "don't get" the simplest loving story ever written

:thunk:

That is weird.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Aug 7, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i can't wait until superhero movies die. they've rotted the brains of these idiots

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1424135832852697099

:(

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

what does the blindfolded lady in green knight symbolize?

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
now theres never gonna be a race war

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

At first I thought it was a joke but now I'm sure it was the CIA. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
movies should all come in at under 2 hours unless you have a really compelling narrative reason for it to be longer. a movie like Ant Man and the Wasp 2 does not need to be longer than 90 minutes.

Avengers Endgame does not need to be as long as The Godfather or Heat or Malcolm X. you could cut the first 50 minutes of Endgame down to 5 and not lose anything from the story