Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been taking all of covid extremely seriously and self-isolating strong as hell ever since I first heard that it was affecting smell and taste. That's a sign of a neurological condition. Like for example losing your sense of taste and smell can be a precursor to Parkinson's that starts showing a decade or more before other symptoms.

For what it's worth the study you linked it from fairly early in the pandemic. I believe subsequent studies have been unable to show any neuroinvasion and have linked the loss of taste/smell to damage to the cells of the olfactory epithelium in the roof of the nose.

There's a good podcast episode on this here with some virologists, an immunologist, and a neurologist.

Not to say being super careful isn't warranted but the loss of taste/smell isn't thought to be any kind of precursor to Parkinsons or that sort of thing.

They do talk about hypoxia causing brain issues in their study and there are other mechanisms for damage COVID can cause like strokes.

So uh, don't get COVID or do things that can cause others to get COVID. But if you've already had it there's no reason to believe you're on a fast train to Parkinsons town yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Freezer posted:

A good policy altogether, but might just drive some edge cases to forge a CDC vax card and be done with it.

I work in healthcare and had an acquaintance call me asking if I could get blank vaccine cards for him. I told him to man the gently caress up and go get a shot and stop being a pussy. I'm sick of this poo poo. If I find out he gets ahold of some and starts distributing them then I'm reporting him immediately. I tried to reason with him and addressed literally every point he made over an hour. It's useless; they do not want to hear it. I'm honestly not sure how we're going to get out of this mess and the fact that it's becoming self-inflicted is too much for me. We're at full capacity and preparing to expand to fit more beds. Everyone is wanting to quit but can't because of moral or financial obligations. What's truly sad is there are people out there who would jump at the chance to have a free vaccine in developing countries that will ultimately die from this in the future. I wish I could have something optimistic to say since I expected poo poo to be on a good trajectory by now.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ordered a HF802SD with P100 Carts from Grainger, loving lightning fast shipping from those people.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Had to stop at a rest stop in the middle of a drive to Houston from the DFW area today. Folks, with the experience I just had in a Bucee's at 9:30am on a Saturday I'm inclined to believe Texas will be a failed plague state within a month.

So many people, so few masks, so much congested space inside with people just.....standing around as mobs wiggle by.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Covid is not going to give anyone Parkinson's or anything like that, jesus christ. Temporary loss of taste and or smell is not a big deal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My dad is immunocompromised and in a wheelchair, and a nurse from the VA hospital came by my parent’s house yesterday to give him his second covid shot :patriot:

Also, maybe it’s just me, but I haven’t gotten bitten once this year by mosquitoes since I’ve been fully vaccinated, whereas I’d be eaten alive by them every year before. It’s been a wet monsoon summer, too, so they’re EVERYWHERE. They just haven’t bitten me since. Coincidence?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

How are u posted:

Covid is not going to give anyone Parkinson's or anything like that, jesus christ. Temporary loss of taste and or smell is not a big deal.

Oh boy

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

How are u posted:

I see you've come to defend your claim to that title

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What do you do for a living if you don’t mind my asking? I’d love to bunker in like that but work is work.

I have a lovely work from home customer support job that sucks :sigh: I can't wait to quit.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

It drives me crazy that media is constantly playing softball. Just splash an image of a pediatric ICU with intubated children on front pages, and homepages should autoplay videos of patients struggling to breathe or in medically induced comas. So many people are numb to reports and charts and projections and need a swift kick in the rear end. I'm convinced that the only way to reach some people is to shock and repulse them.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dignity Van Houten posted:

It drives me crazy that media is constantly playing softball. Just splash an image of a pediatric ICU with intubated children on front pages, and homepages should autoplay videos of patients struggling to breathe or in medically induced comas. So many people are numb to reports and charts and projections and need a swift kick in the rear end. I'm convinced that the only way to reach some people is to shock and repulse them.

and you think that would make Americans care…..?

a lot of us are waxed and (triple) vaxxed, baby!

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Peter Daou Zen posted:

and you think that would make Americans care…..?

a lot of us are waxed and (triple) vaxxed, baby!

Honestly, yes. A lot of people are ignorant because they don't see the consequences of their actions. It's easy to believe something isn't a big deal when no one in your family or social circle has gotten ill, you just start to get into a mindset that this whole thing is overblown or drawn out. I don't believe the majority of anti-mask / anti-vax people truly don't care about helping strangers, it's just that to them they never had a 'come to jesus' moment where it hit them personally. And for those people, one way is for someone in their circle to be affected, another way may be to shove shocking images in their face.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

I don't believe the majority of anti-mask / anti-vax people truly don't care about helping strangers
Boy are you gonna be surprised when you hear about the rest of their politics

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Thinking about the people I know, almost everyone 21-30 is C, almost everyone over 30 without school-age kids is A, and most parents and teachers are B.

The people who think vaccines make you sterile are the ones who I think need to be reached now. I know some single moms who are E. I had a friend who told me that his vaccinated mom wept that she's not having grandchildren after he told her that he was vaccinated.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah sorry there chief but showing me the consequences of my own actions is HIPAA

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The media, and people in general, are focusing on the wrong kind of unvaccinated people. Yes, there are the unreachables who think the vaccine is the mark of the beast, is THE GOVERNMENT’S AGENDA, or (lmao) take their health advice from Joe Rogan.

But there are also *a lot* of people who are unvaccinated because they’re low-income and literally can’t afford to take the time off of work to get a shot, much less to recover after the side effects of the second shot. The way to get these folks vaccinated is to provide monetary support and work with their employers to ensure they can get the time off they need.

Of course, given the state of things in the US, I don’t know how that’s possible :smith:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's already the law in NYS, not sure how much it actually impacted the rate though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How are u posted:

Sounds like you've never had it or were lucky to not run into problems

I lived with someone who had anosmia (before the pandemic) and it's dangerous, stuff like not being able to detect smoke or harmful gas, etc.

Low on the totem pole of possible Covid damage, but still... not good

Zugzwang posted:

The media, and people in general, are focusing on the wrong kind of unvaccinated people. Yes, there are the unreachables who think the vaccine is the mark of the beast, is THE GOVERNMENT’S AGENDA, or (lmao) take their health advice from Joe Rogan.

BTW Does anyone still listen to Dumb Rogan? I can't stand him after he went full antivaxx, but I wonder if he's changed his tune now that there's half a million dead Americans

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zugzwang posted:

But there are also *a lot* of people who are unvaccinated because they’re low-income and literally can’t afford to take the time off of work to get a shot, much less to recover after the side effects of the second shot. The way to get these folks vaccinated is to provide monetary support and work with their employers to ensure they can get the time off they need.

Of course, given the state of things in the US, I don’t know how that’s possible :smith:

Given the strong correlation between Trump vote and vaccination rates I’m inclined to think that most people who wanted to be vaccinated were able to do so. That’s not to say that there shouldn’t be programs to make it easier for people to access the vaccine (eg 24 hr vaccination hubs, door to door vaccination upon request etc) but I think by now the vast majority of the unvaccinated are just chuds.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

but I wonder if he's changed his tune now that there's half a million dead Americans

I’d be willing to bet he doubled down

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

California mandated that all employers give their employees paid sick time off to get the vaccine and recover from it and really that should be national. I work for a california-based company so I made sure to line my shot dates up with the start of a work week :hellyeah:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Need commissars at every street corner but instead of shooting you in the head to motivate others they just vax you :commissar:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Guys guys why are you worried? It turns out germs dont exist!!!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/08/deep-dive-into-stupid-meet-the-growing-group-that-rejects-germ-theory/

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I lived with someone who had anosmia (before the pandemic) and it's dangerous, stuff like not being able to detect smoke or harmful gas, etc.

BTW Does anyone still listen to Dumb Rogan? I can't stand him after he went full antivaxx, but I wonder if he's changed his tune now that there's half a million dead Americans

rogan is interesting because at first he took it super serious, like before others were doing so in popular media. i think the turning point was when he had the vitamin d guru on and he decided maintaining healthy body weight and vitamins were the key to protection. then he got irritated he couldn't go to the comedy club or whatever and fled to austin.

i think the last i heard he was claiming he's not broadly against vaccines, just that if you do cardio and you're young and not obese and do vitamin d iv drips you don't need it.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Been saying this

And yes it would matter! The idiot Americans watched reality TV. Stupid HIPAA laws and privacy laws and everything has prevented people from seeing what it's like. I'm positive what would help and I doubt it will ever happen is someone known, some relatively famous person live streaming choking to death on their own lungs.

Or a covid intensive Care unit with the faces blurred streaming for hours and hours somewhere

Spinz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 7, 2021

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

“Does anybody still listen to that insanely popular guy with the number one podcast???”

Lmao

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just found out from my mom that, according to my anti-vax aunt, my grandma is in the hospital with "either pneumonia or congestive heart failure". This is the first my mom's heard of her being sick

Hmmm....

My mom also went to visit her in the nursing home and surprise, they're in lockdown because of an outbreak. My aunt neglected to inform her of this before.

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM.....

HMMMMMMMMM...

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Wow makes u think

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Peter Daou Zen posted:

“Does anybody still listen to that insanely popular guy with the number one podcast???”

Lmao
He’s still spewing anti-vaxx bullshit to his gigantic audience.

He even had on noted grifter and poo poo-tier biologist Bret Weinstein recently for an emergency episode on ivermectin horse paste.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

rogan is interesting because at first he took it super serious, like before others were doing so in popular media. i think the turning point was when he had the vitamin d guru on and he decided maintaining healthy body weight and vitamins were the key to protection. then he got irritated he couldn't go to the comedy club or whatever and fled to austin.

i think the last i heard he was claiming he's not broadly against vaccines, just that if you do cardio and you're young and not obese and do vitamin d iv drips you don't need it.

He also says "masks are for bitches".
gently caress him.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
tbh it doesnt get any better (worse?) than local news stations owned by an anti-vax corporation running commercials about how you don't need the vaccine, you don't need masks, you just need IRN-IMMUNE NASAL SPRAY AND SURFACE SANITIZER during an emergency press conference from the governor about how our daily covid numbers are exploding out of control

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Joe Rogan sounds like someone doing an impression of a belligerently dumb guy, all I can hear when he talks is "WELL YEAH BUT"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Joe Rogan sounds like someone doing an impression of a belligerently dumb guy, all I can hear when he talks is "WELL YEAH BUT"

He's like if Howard Stern was a little bit dumber, but was convinced he was a lot smarter (and was a regular steroid cycle).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lmao of course it's just people who want a participation medal for being alive and a plaque that says "This person is so badass that they haven't died yet"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Rogan is and always was a chudly chud

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

lol so many people are still going to die and that owns so hard

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

But then some super chud will make the game breaking, iron clad argument of "actually, no, vaccine/mask bad." and all that we'll have accomplished is spreading a bunch of pics of dying kids around to be harassed as crisis actors

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You can't harass a corpse.

EDIT: And also, how recognizable is a deathly ill child with their face covered in oxygen masks and intubation tubes? I doubt the chuds will be able to track these kids down.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I keep wishing there was a more visible effect of covid. Like your eyes would bleed. Just little drips here and there, enough for people to notice. Or you would get large skin lesions. gently caress it, you get covid, and all your hair dries up and falls out in clumps. Something physical that would make people stop and treat it like a real threat.

Bonus round: you get Covid and your dick shrinks by an inch, and your scrotum is covered with ingrown hairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You can't harass a corpse.

Not with that attitude you can't.