Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd personally like to know what kind of bonus he would have gotten. He mentioned exclusive rights so he may have gotten a sweet deal. Too bad about the alien breaking through your head.

Exclusive naming rights, he was gonna name it after himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Currently rewatching the best movie ever.

I was wrong, the facehugger in the tube tries to make it with Burke, not Hicks. And Bishop remarks that "two are alive, the rest are dead," though how the specimens were acquired is still unclear.

gently caress I love this movie.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"How can they cut the power, they're animals?!"

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

I was wrong, the facehugger in the tube tries to make it with Burke, not Hicks. And Bishop remarks that "two are alive, the rest are dead," though how the specimens were acquired is still unclear.

Looks like love at first sight to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mister Speaker posted:

Chekhov's two live facehuggers. loving awesome. :D

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Improbable Lobster posted:

Exclusive naming rights, he was gonna name it after himself

Worth it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Aw no, Greg got Burked"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Chekhov’s powerloader

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

The Narcissus is also an indirect Conrad reference.

There have been other Conrad references, though largely in the EU. The Sulaco-like ship that WY arrives in at the end of Alien3 is the Patna, according to the novelization.
There was also the Melville from the Colonial Marines comic, the Sephora from the Colonial Marines video game, the Marlow from the AvP2010 game, and the Verloc from the AvP2 PC game.

There are probably others I’m forgetting.

Edit— the Torrens from Alien Isolation.

I'm legit confused why there hasn't been a ship named the Kurtz or at least the Eldorado. Kurtz is probably a bit too on the nose and famous to not be immediately taken as a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now reference that it is.

Jetto Jagga posted:

What I love most about Contamination is how nowhere along the line does any of the exploding gore result in new aliens being born. The eggs exist solely to make people blow up, it's great.

IIRC, the eggs are supposed to infect with spores the humans exposed to them, who then explode to release more spores.

Also, since hearing about the Gibson script, I'm convinced he was bringing back elements from these rip-offs into the franchise (and later Scott, with Prometheus' black oil), because the aliens spread through an aerosol spore contact thanks to the UPP's genetic engineering.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MrMojok posted:

Chekhov’s powerloader

Where do you want it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Young Freud posted:

I'm legit confused why there hasn't been a ship named the Kurtz or at least the Eldorado. Kurtz is probably a bit too on the nose and famous to not be immediately taken as a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now reference that it is.
If it makes you feel better, the comic ‘Aliens: Apocalypse’ is straight up a Heart of Darkness ripoff. :v:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Bishop was already all the way at the upload tower when the facehuggers are freed. Ripley even sees him off as he gets into the tunnel, then - depending which version you're watching - the second set of sentry guns are attacked/Hicks shows Ripley how to handle a pulse rifle, then she goes off to catch a nap with Newt.

It was all just Burke. Everyone else (all 4 of them) would have been in Ops, he just needs to slip away for a couple of minutes to move the canisters, loosen the lids so the fluid starts spilling out when laid down and the critters can get traction before getting the hell out.

Re: Gibson's version, I do really like the idea of its take on a big 'chest' burster scene, with Wells realising something's wrong, having a kind of mental lockup as the process completes then just screaming into screeching as the Alien tears off her clothes and skin to break out from her repurposed shell. It's basically The Thing if all it could turn into was an Alien but no less horrific a concept for it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Someone mentioned it earlier, saying that Burke got captured due to a deleted scene, but didn't the movie show Burke getting his brains blasted out with blood everywhere. Like on the camera or something? I could be misrembering it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Burke has to be one level 200 sneaky fucker though.
To get within a few feet to get the pulse rifle, take in two chest high containers full of liquid, unscrew the 4 screws on each, tip them over so not to make a sound (especially the liquid within), sabotage the door, and not get face hugged himself.

And was it this thread or the CD one where Drake's hat dreadlock was mentioned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVW6PkH-oXM

You can see it tied to his smartgun in the lab scene here. Not sure if this was mentioned before already.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Someone mentioned it earlier, saying that Burke got captured due to a deleted scene, but didn't the movie show Burke getting his brains blasted out with blood everywhere. Like on the camera or something? I could be misrembering it.
You are misremembering, I think you might be thinking of Ferro.

https://youtu.be/3Pwx_KFGBPU

https://youtu.be/FmtVxKj5lO4

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmu6uHEDHI

Check the last few seconds of this, this is what you see of Burke and the Alien he meets.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

I'd personally like to know what kind of bonus he would have gotten. He mentioned exclusive rights so he may have gotten a sweet deal. Too bad about the alien breaking through your head.

If I remember correctly, and I might not be, in the novelization Burke is actually acting mostly on his own due to epidemic levels of corporate backstabbing at WY. Like, the second any of his bosses got wind of what he was actually up to they would have swooped in and claimed it as their own. His plan was to play the whole thing as close to the chest as possible and then show up a WY like "Boy have I got something you're going to want to buy from me" and that's what he meant when he mentioned exclusive rights.

Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be so all that might have just been a dream I had or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sentinel Red posted:

Bishop was already all the way at the upload tower when the facehuggers are freed.

Good catch, thank you. I wasn't think clearly enough about Aliens.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Re: Gibson's version, I do really like the idea of its take on a big 'chest' burster scene, with Wells realising something's wrong, having a kind of mental lockup as the process completes then just screaming into screeching as the Alien tears off her clothes and skin to break out from her repurposed shell. It's basically The Thing if all it could turn into was an Alien but no less horrific a concept for it.
Honestly that was the point where Gibson's version lost me. It felt like standard Hollywood "gotta top the last one!" thinking when the horror is already basically at is maximum with the chestburster. I was really liking it up to that point too. I'm not saying I have any better ideas, just offering the contrasting take.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

This caused me to think pretty hard about Aliens. They’re a bit too lethal for an animal that needs a living host to breed, aren’t they? Every head popped by a set of inner jaws is one less xenomorph running around, which should be the main goal of the species. If it was established they actually eat people it’d make a little more sense.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

You are misremembering, I think you might be thinking of Ferro.

https://youtu.be/3Pwx_KFGBPU

https://youtu.be/FmtVxKj5lO4

Ah yeah I was probably mixing it up with the blood from Ferro's death.

I swear I have this weird memory though of something like that. Like blood going onto the actual camera. Maybe Alien 3. I don't know. Could be an entirely different movie.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 8, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torquemada posted:

This caused me to think pretty hard about Aliens. They’re a bit too lethal for an animal that needs a living host to breed, aren’t they? Every head popped by a set of inner jaws is one less xenomorph running around, which should be the main goal of the species. If it was established they actually eat people it’d make a little more sense.
If you've got a proper ecosystem that's not an issue. You got your face punchies for dangerous or hunting situations but your space cows just get implanted. All the films take place where the only things to implant are annoying tool users so they have to kill some and implant the rest.

Of course if we take the approach that they're engineered terror weapons then them being long term unsustainable is a plus.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Torquemada posted:

That's what makes them 'alien'.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fish of hemp posted:

That's what makes them 'alien'.

I thought it was their immigration status?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Biplane posted:

I thought it was their immigration status?

Some of them, I assume, are good people

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

In Alien: Cold Forge it's made pretty clear that the aliens eat people, in graphic detail. Overall that book did a good job making the aliens scary imo

Has there ever been an instance where a colonial marine stepped in a pile of turds and was like "oh poo poo, xenomorphs are here!!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
It's the middle of the day and I'm watching Aliens (the movie)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly that was the point where Gibson's version lost me. It felt like standard Hollywood "gotta top the last one!" thinking when the horror is already basically at is maximum with the chestburster. I was really liking it up to that point too. I'm not saying I have any better ideas, just offering the contrasting take.

Yeah I didn't care for it either, and it's a full sized alien out of a normal woman. That's just too far a stretch to hold ones disbelief for.

When it comes down to it Gibsons script is interesting but it wasn't that good. It took on a mythical status for decades for what could have been but all that hype was much ado about nothing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Look let's be real, when the engineers send xenomorphs to a planet with their juggernaut ships, they're not sending their best.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Look let's be real, when the engineers send xenomorphs to a planet with their juggernaut ships, they're not sending their best.

Well that's ironic, because I hate living and I love aliens

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Last Call posted:

Yeah I didn't care for it either, and it's a full sized alien out of a normal woman. That's just too far a stretch to hold ones disbelief for.

When it comes down to it Gibsons script is interesting but it wasn't that good. It took on a mythical status for decades for what could have been but all that hype was much ado about nothing.

There's a way for this to happen in the Alien RPG in a much cooler/creepier way imo and it's set up to be an extremely rare WTF centerpiece of a session/campaign. It only happens in the very rare chance that someone who's been implanted by a facehugger* gets the black goo on them also. So that instead of the goo mutating just the person it interacts with the both the person and the embryo and since it's more compatible with the embryo. What makes it awesome though is that they have the end result be a xenomorph with a translucent exoskeleton but a human skull/some human bones still inside it also because they didn't get pushed out while the mutation happened. Basically the found a way to have the gross-out "body burster" like in the Gibson script while also having the older design for the xenomorph in Alien 1 in one go. They opted to paint over it instead for the film but IIRC you can very briefly make out the human skull in its head during the scene where it kills Brett in some cuts.

*They have scientific debate to this day in the setting as to whether the facehugger is impregnating the host with an egg, or whether it's blasting spores into the host's body and that those spores form an egg.

The person who mentioned Prometheus and Covenant biting a lot off of unused ideas from the previous movies is absolutely correct too. Even the part in Prometheus where they take the engineer head back to the ship for study was something that was going to happen in Alien at one point.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Well that's ironic, because I hate living and I love aliens

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 8, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Neo Rasa posted:

They have scientific debate to this day in the setting as to whether the facehugger is impregnating the host with an egg, or whether it's blasting spores into the host's body and that those spores form an egg.

Yeah, last time we were discussing this ITT I took a look at Xenopedia and it seems to suggest the latter, that the facehuggers implant the host with parasitic material that quickly adapts the host's DNA, which is a good explanation for why we have various flavours of xeno depending on what the host is. I still find it a bit of a hamfisted retcon though, that's just me.

quote:

The person who mentioned Prometheus and Covenant biting a lot off of unused ideas from the previous movies is absolutely correct too. Even the part in Prometheus where they take the engineer head back to the ship for study was something that was going to happen in Alien at one point.

I always forget about this scene every time I make the mistake of rewatching Prometheus. What was the point of that experiment, anyway? *Gasp* "When you run a strong current through their heads, they convulse and explode... Just like us!!!"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Young Freud posted:

IIRC, the eggs are supposed to infect with spores the humans exposed to them, who then explode to release more spores.

Also, since hearing about the Gibson script, I'm convinced he was bringing back elements from these rip-offs into the franchise (and later Scott, with Prometheus' black oil), because the aliens spread through an aerosol spore contact thanks to the UPP's genetic engineering.

Ah right, Stella says they're not really eggs at all but some kind of bacterial culture. And then she blows up a rat.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

He was actually taken by the Alien and cocooned, in a deleted scene Ripley finds him later on her way to save Newt. :eng101:

https://youtu.be/9AbWOL7muys

Glad they decided to cut it, considering how Ripley was so adamant about not having the grunts go in with guns loaded because of the environment they were in (imagine having an actual explosion go off, like a hand grenade.)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ah yeah I was probably mixing it up with the blood from Ferro's death.

I swear I have this weird memory though of something like that. Like blood going onto the actual camera. Maybe Alien 3. I don't know. Could be an entirely different movie.

Predator. Macs death I bet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Greggster posted:

Glad they decided to cut it, considering how Ripley was so adamant about not having the grunts go in with guns loaded because of the environment they were in (imagine having an actual explosion go off, like a hand grenade.)

Well I mean, the atmosphere processor was already hosed after Vasquez and Drake sprayed a bunch of ammo and then the Dropship collided with it, I’m not sure another grenade would make the whole thing explode any faster. :shrug:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Well I mean, the atmosphere processor was already hosed after Vasquez and Drake sprayed a bunch of ammo and then the Dropship collided with it, I’m not sure another grenade would make the whole thing explode any faster. :shrug:

That installation had a substantial dollar value attached to it.

:colbert:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MrMojok posted:

That installation had a substantial dollar value attached to it.

:colbert:

They can bill me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

happyhippy posted:

Predator. Macs death I bet.

That was it!!!! omg nice call.

edit: timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOgIHxMROc&t=126s

sometimes I get my awesome movies hosed up.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thinking about Predator (the movie)