Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
also re Green Knight I thought there were going to be sword fights in it. the ads made me think it would have some action. I’m devastated to find out there isn’t a single combat scene and I don’t know if I will ever recover from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

movies should all come in at under 2 hours unless you have a really compelling narrative reason for it to be longer. a movie like Ant Man and the Wasp 2 does not need to be longer than 90 minutes.

Avengers Endgame does not need to be as long as The Godfather or Heat or Malcolm X. you could cut the first 50 minutes of Endgame down to 5 and not lose anything from the story

a movie can be longer than 2 hours for other reasons like visuals

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

a movie can be longer than 2 hours for other reasons like visuals

they have to be pretty long running visuals to push the runtime over 120 minutes, edit your story better. like Interstellar has some amazing visuals that deserved showcasing but that story could have been tightened way up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
You can also not watch movies you will not like and ignore them.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

they have to be pretty long running visuals to push the runtime over 120 minutes, edit your story better. like Interstellar has some amazing visuals that deserved showcasing but that story could have been tightened way up

look at lawrence of arabia. that's all about mood and visuals that take time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

there are of course going to be exceptions, but using the 120 minute rule as a guideline (primarily for blockbuster type movies) will force bad/lazy filmmakers to make better films, not restrict good filmmakers from making great ones

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like Indiana Jones and Star Wars are 2 hours long, ask yourself “is Dr. Strange 2 going to be better than Raiders of the Lost Ark” while editing the script

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://towardsdatascience.com/are-new-movies-longer-than-they-were-10hh20-50-year-ago-a35356b2ca5b

Runtime cucks tilting at windmills

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So what I'm getting from this discussion is that movies can have varying length depending on if it fits the story and type of movie it is? Interesting

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Judakel posted:

You named a movie which is boring

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if a movie feels like it's too long, it probably just bad editing

aw :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

like Indiana Jones and Star Wars are 2 hours long, ask yourself “is Dr. Strange 2 going to be better than Raiders of the Lost Ark” while editing the script

What it sounds like is directors having too much artistic control and need to be reigned in by good editors. If not you get bloated, self indulgent bullshit like The Irishman, Barry Lyndon, or Endgame.

grate deceiver posted:

So what I'm getting from this discussion is that movies can have varying length depending on if it fits the story and type of movie it is? Interesting

ALL MOVIES MUST BE 85 TO 100 MINUTES LONG OR IT IS UNWATCHABLE

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You can make a great and exciting movie that's three hours long. Just the other day, I was watching my favorite epic, The English Patient,

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HootTheOwl posted:

You named a movie which is boring

stick to comic book baby films

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

You can make a great and exciting movie that's three hours long. Just the other day, I was watching my favorite epic, The English Patient,

it’s funny because you have to be one or the other to like it!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mr Hootington posted:

You can also not watch movies you will not like and ignore them.

this is an unacceptable opinion. there are good movies and trash for idiots and science will allow us to determine the difference.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

josh04 posted:

this is an unacceptable opinion. there are good movies and trash for idiots and science will allow us to determine the difference.

Studies into reactionary boomers. :hmmyes:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Trabisnikof posted:

what does the blindfolded lady in green knight symbolize?
She represents all the people who didn't watch the film.

I thought it was echoes of the imagery from his mother's ritual with her coven, and meant to suggest this scenario, like all the others, was being orchestrated by them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if I was Sir Gawain I simply would of not gone to fight the Green Knight the day after Christmas.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know where else I'd bring it up but Trevor Moore of WKUK died at 41 yesterday

e: didn't see the above post, just saw people talking about The Green Knight and passed over it because I'm seeing it next week lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i have no idea when i'll get to see the green knight, it got spiked from uk release at the last second for weird reasons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

josh04 posted:

i have no idea when i'll get to see the green knight, it got spiked from uk release at the last second for weird reasons

too good of teeth to be set in England

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

when people say that movies should be 90 minutes long they mean that action movies shouldnt have extremely lovely drawn out battle sequences and long exposition scenes that are just ther eto advertise other movies in the franchise. there is easily an hour of complete poo poo that u could cut out of any marvel movie

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

like nobody is thinking of tarkovsky when they say that u little cined pedant

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Someone mentioned Godzilla vs Biollante earlier, it's a top 3 Godzilla for me. Bio firms are fighting over custody of Godzilla cells, the American company bombs the Saudi lab Dr Shirigami is working at and kills his daughter, driving him to create a Frankenstein horror out of his daughter's DNA + Godzilla + a rose, her favorite flower. Ambitious and overstuffed, the last great Godzilla entry until 2004's GMK.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Man, they were gearing up for a WKUK comeback too. RIP

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Nope it is stupid. Length of the movie doesn't matter. The quality of the movie matters.

Edit: for those that need short movies might I suggest cocomelon or pinkfong on YouTube. Lots of independent short movies you can enjoy.

If you have to resort to bad faith arguments like this you don't actually have anything to say.

Elderbean has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Aug 8, 2021

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

There's nothing wrong with a long movie, I just want movies that actually do something with their runtime and a lot of these longer tentpole movies have soggy, pointless stretches.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

when people say that movies should be 90 minutes long they mean that action movies shouldnt have extremely lovely drawn out battle sequences and long exposition scenes that are just ther eto advertise other movies in the franchise. there is easily an hour of complete poo poo that u could cut out of any marvel movie

Robert Greenberg a music teacher uses the term "information density"
Comic books talk about Compression and Decompression.
How much can you pack into as small a space as possible (-L)

Pop Radio Music has less and less information density as time goes on.
That's why everybody thinks that the younger kid's music sucks
Because that pop-radio-music is more decompressed and lower information density.

(But your poo poo is dumber than Bach's/Stravinsky's music, so accept that.)

Music has low information density because music is easier to make now than ever before.
A guy finds a beat on youtube and raps over it.

It's why non-radio songs are short, put out as singles, are just weird,
(the floor is just a 4/4 beat and somebody saying "Bitch bitch bitch bitch" for 2:30 minutes.)

- The opposite is that the quality of the songs start to go way higher because people put in the same amount of time with better results
This is why BTS is popular.

The technology revolution hasn't fully caught up with film yet tho:

To make a film with a cellphone and themselves, a person needs skills:
Moving a camera, Script writing, Editing, and Acting. (and famous actor charisma )
Especially if you're going to make a 90 minute film

Making a film is still prohibitively expensive, and the prices of admission to those big budget films is lost time to loose story telling.

It's sort of like 1800's really loose novels.
Publishing a book was harder back then, but far enough along that if a writer got a hold of a public eye,
society allowed the writer to make a doorstopper.

The reason why films were shorter is because people wanted to see movies,
- people wanted to read

It was too risky to make big expensive movies
-It takes a lot of work to print out big books.

-Pamphlets and poems.
They just gave a lot of people a small risk amount of money to make small risk films.

Now with theaters closed, and streaming, they are like novellas now a days.
Too long for short stories / Streaming TV
Too short and takes up theater space compared to novel shelf space and Big Budget films .

The Death of Film: will be one guy, with green screen suit, that recreates all of stars wars -using realistic CGI actors and a voice changer.

Edit: I I- ll l_ = ll-lll_ = 2-3_ = -1_ = -l_

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Aug 8, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Farm Frenzy posted:

Farm Frenzy posted:

like nobody is thinking of tarkovsky when they say that u little cined pedant

big assumption, shithead

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

indigi posted:

“the weird shady intelligence agency that we made up for this movie that is cartoonishly evil” isn’t really anti imperialist, it’s very liberal bad apples poo poo

Warner has a close working relationship with the DOD and almost certainly had their input (both in script and production) in making this particular movie, so I’m hesitant to believe it has any substantial anti-imperialist or even anti-interventionist message (beyond what’s acceptable in mainstream political discourse on fox or msnbc)

idk, the people running those liaisons are probably so literal-minded and immune to subtext you could probably make a Slaughterhouse Five movie with their approval and funding if you just promised to make the U.S. Army Air Corps look impressive as they’re firebombing Dresden.

The Suicide Squad showed more American atrocities, including against civilian populations, than the Bourne films put together

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I wanted to like The Green Knight, the trailer looked good, I had to read it in High School and again in College, but it fell a little flat.

It's not terrible but I don't think it achieved the deep meditation on maturity it wanted to be. The production value and cinematography were pretty good, it was very stylish, but eh yea. For example there's a pretty jarring cgi fox for a large part of the movie. I didn't need more action but I did need more of a reason to care about what was going on. I think my favorite part was King Arthur complaining about his sore tooth.

I also saw Pig without knowing anything and was entertained. It's not amazing and has some eye-rolling scenes but Cage sells his character really well and it can be heartwarming.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so on the subject of short films anyone got any good recommendations for short horror movies like scary but restrained without overreliance on special effects or swearing

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how short are we talkin

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lets say ten minutes or less for the sake of argument

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

What it sounds like is directors having too much artistic control and need to be reigned in by good editors. If not you get bloated, self indulgent bullshit like The Irishman, Barry Lyndon, or Endgame.

ALL MOVIES MUST BE 85 TO 100 MINUTES LONG OR IT IS UNWATCHABLE

i was enraptured by barry lyndon all the way through the first time i watched it. i am also never going to watch it again, and i think that's exactly how kubrick intended it

Trabisnikof posted:

what does the blindfolded lady in green knight symbolize?

in some of the original stories she's explicitly his mom in disguise

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

lets say ten minutes or less for the sake of argument

1 guy 1 jar is a classic horror short film

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

God Hole posted:

i was enraptured by barry lyndon all the way through the first time i watched it. i am also never going to watch it again, and i think that's exactly how kubrick intended it

I enjoyed the movie too. All of Kubrick's films are amazing.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The Suicide Squad was pretty good

it was kinda artsy in a few scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Commando is the perfect movie and it's 90 minutes long including credits.