Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean, I kind of get it. What would a new paint job cost on something that size?

Let's say no body work and no rust repair or anything at all needed. $1000 for a driveway-level job, $15k for an actual decent job.

Painting is the easy part. It's the disassembly and masking that take all the labor. And a good paint job needs a lot of that. lovely paint jobs, no matter how good quality the paint or application may have been, look like poo poo because there's not enough disassembly. They typically don't hold up either because they save labor on prep by not properly sanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does that vary depending on the size of the vehicle or is it pretty standard? On one hand the preparation of the surfaces and every single coat of primer/paint/clearcoat is going to take longer and be more raw materials but it's probably going to be a similar number of panels. My uncle said it would be about 25k to get my SVX repainted which seemed kind of high but he's a classic car guy so for all I know you have to pay out the rear end for a good paint job on a first generation mustang like he has. But it does make that $7200 make a lot more sense if the paint protection and ceramic coat save even one paint job all of a sudden you're about $7500 ahead.

At this point I'm still unsure whether I want to do a new paint job or get it professionally vinyl wrapped since apparently vinyl has come a long way, but I have to replace the suspension and valve cover gaskets and fix the power steering pump and, and, and before I get to that.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 8, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does that vary depending on the size of the vehicle or is it pretty standard? On one hand the preparation of the surfaces and every single coat of primer/paint/clearcoat is going to take longer and be more raw materials but it's probably going to be a similar number of panels. My uncle said it would be about 25k to get my SVX repainted which seemed kind of high but he's a classic car guy so for all I know you have to pay out the rear end for a good paint job on a first generation mustang like he has. But it does make that $7200 make a lot more sense if the paint protection and ceramic coat save even one paint job all of a sudden you're about $7500 ahead.

Size......kinda matters? But not much from what I understand. The complexity of the disassembly, etc is what matters.

And yeah, $25k is getting into the realm of sanding between coats. Or at least a cut and buff after the final coat. Note my $15k estimate was "decent", not even to the level of nice. Things can get astronomically expensive if you want to go all the way on these things. I was talking about a "factory-level-ish" job. Which is absolutely not touch by hand between coats or after a final. I mean....just look at most new cars.....they are largely orange peel. It's kinda pathetic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Motronic posted:

I mean....just look at most new cars.....they are largely orange peel. It's kinda pathetic.

So then the next question is how is the paint on new Tacomas? If it's orange peel like most new cars then uhhh I question that cost. Paint protection, sure, but over $7,000 bucks? That deep details and waxes for years.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

At this point I'm still unsure whether I want to do a new paint job or get it professionally vinyl wrapped since apparently vinyl has come a long way, but I have to replace the suspension and valve cover gaskets and fix the power steering pump and, and, and before I get to that.

My neighbor has a $25k paint job and it is incredible.

I'd put a four figure paintjob on an SVX.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KakerMix posted:

So then the next question is how is the paint on new Tacomas? If it's orange peel like most new cars then uhhh I question that cost. Paint protection, sure, but over $7,000 bucks? That deep details and waxes for years.

It's still orange peel. But part of that $7k cost better drat well have been fixing that before paint protection/ceramic coating.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

$2700 is what it cost to get front end coverage (full bumper, full hood, partial fenders, full mirrors) and a 5 year ceramic coating on the whole car. This was my Golf R.

Don't end honestly seems enough for me to protect, but I could see if you were taking a truck off-road that having full protection would be good.

You can't fix orange peel with a normal correction as that's not something that's in the clear.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

StormDrain posted:

My neighbor has a $25k paint job and it is incredible.

What kind of car?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Don't end honestly seems enough for me to protect, but I could see if you were taking a truck off-road that having full protection would be good.

If you're taking it off road you need to stop worrying about poo poo like scratches in your paint.

bull3964 posted:

You can't fix orange peel with a normal correction as that's not something that's in the clear.

Factory orange peel can absolutely be block sanded out unless we're talking about the cheapest of all poo poo that's barely even painted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No one is block sanding before PPF or ceramic.

That would be a zero sum game since the amount of clear you are taking off would far outweigh the protection you are adding.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
FWIW, the place I brought it to advertises "full coverage" starting at 4500 bones.
This is Canada so a lot of poo poo is just generally more expensive than USA-stan.

The quote for this thing was about 5600 (don't have the email in front of me), plus 13% tax so about 6300 bucks. The guy said there were certain parts that don't already have patterns they can cut out so they had to "freestyle" things in a few places. I'd imagine that added a few bucks to the price.
Then the ceramic coat on top of that.

I knew what I was getting in to, sorry if it sounded like some dumb internet flex. I was just pissed that I couldn't go a single fuckin day with this thing shiny as gently caress before it rained.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
$7200 :eyepop:

Why not just have someone detail it twice a year for $225 each time for the next 16 years?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

What kind of car?

54 Bel Air.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

54 Bel Air.

Clean. And running the wiring inside the radiator support? :discourse:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

StormDrain posted:

54 Bel Air.

Ah my dad had a 4-door bel air growing up-nowhere near that condition though-nice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

No one is block sanding before PPF or ceramic.

That would be a zero sum game since the amount of clear you are taking off would far outweigh the protection you are adding.

I wouldn't trust a regular detailing shop to do it. But it's a thing that absolutely gets done. I'm not sure why you think it doesn't.

There are shops that do paint correction like this on brand new high end cars. It's not about protection: it's about perfecting surface finish. Which is something one should do BEFORE putting coatings on.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

Clean. And running the wiring inside the radiator support? :discourse:

It's incredible. His standard of quality is much higher than mine and he meets it all on his own. He walked me through some of the fenders that were too tall from the factory and how he cut and rolled the bottom of them.

And it makes me smile when he unloads it from the trailer with the windshield marked up from the strip.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

$7200 for a full pickup wrap sounds maybe high but not unreasonable.

Xpel PPF is $25/sqft retail before any shop discounts or whatever. $25x####sqft for a whole vehicle + ~225 for a “pro” ceramic kit from xpel or optimum.

The GT350 cost me $4800-ish after tax with a full wrap and ceramic and that was with a “I know the guy” discount and almost 0 prep work needing to be done cleaning up the paint before wrapping.

Even a brand new car needs a full decon + polish, if not a bit more after it sat on the lot for however long and poo poo.

Once you figure out youre adding 10+ hours of labor on top of the material cost $5000+ can be easy to hit on certain vehicle sizes. $7200 is also waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than a full sand and respray if you do enough road debris damage, and once you do the whole car if something eats a rock and tears you just replace that panel alone for a few hundred.

If you have a long term interest in keeping your vehicle near pristine with 0 detailing maintenance outside of light washing and interior cleaning its totally worth it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gotta protect that truck equity

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

smooth jazz posted:

Expect rain tomorrow.
It did in fact rain. First rain in 40+ days or something lol.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Digital_Jesus posted:

$7200 for a full pickup wrap sounds maybe high but not unreasonable.
Plus it’s C$7200 (including taxes) which is about US$5500.

I was quoted C$6000 (cash) to do my car and that included a Ceremic Pro “Gold Package”

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

Gotta protect that truck equity

You need to keep up with this thread, you were beaten by like 6 months on this comment :v:
Observe:

mobby_6kl posted:

It's important to protect your truck equity!

My answer is still the same though.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I'm 41 and if my current car is any indication, I will have this truck until somewhere in my mid 50s.
So yes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You need to keep up with this thread, you were beaten by like 6 months on this comment :v:
Observe:

The cost/benefit analysis has already been adjudicated, and I can see both sides. For me, I'd be way more concerned about paint condition and such WITH $7k of protection, mostly because I know I'd spend all that money and get some dumb scrape on it and hate life.

On the PPF front -- the Lexus RC350 my dad bought recently had coverage on the front bumper, hood, both fenders, and mirrors. He ended up taking it all off but for the bumper. Again, I can see both the argument to leave it on (that I made) and the argument to take it off (that he made and did). The only indisputable part is that with 50k miles on it, the PPF made a HUGE difference in the quality of the paint underneath. There's a slim silver strip of plastic on the front bumper that wasn't covered and is road rashed badly... but nowhere else, it looks factory fresh.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I wish I PPF’d my Hyundai when I got it… thousands of highway miles at totally the speed limit have wrecked it, including the windshield

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

meatpimp posted:

The cost/benefit analysis has already been adjudicated, and I can see both sides. For me, I'd be way more concerned about paint condition and such WITH $7k of protection, mostly because I know I'd spend all that money and get some dumb scrape on it and hate life.

On the PPF front -- the Lexus RC350 my dad bought recently had coverage on the front bumper, hood, both fenders, and mirrors. He ended up taking it all off but for the bumper. Again, I can see both the argument to leave it on (that I made) and the argument to take it off (that he made and did). The only indisputable part is that with 50k miles on it, the PPF made a HUGE difference in the quality of the paint underneath. There's a slim silver strip of plastic on the front bumper that wasn't covered and is road rashed badly... but nowhere else, it looks factory fresh.

What the argument for taking it off?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is PPF significantly UV protective or is a ceramic coat or related on top of the film where most of that comes from? One of my cars is notorious for bad UV problems, but mine remains perfect for now. I've been collecting stuff to do a quick paint correction and then yearly inexpensive ceramic, but spending a few hundred on diy PPF for the hood and roof might be worth the hassle and learning experience.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

Is PPF significantly UV protective or is a ceramic coat or related on top of the film where most of that comes from? One of my cars is notorious for bad UV problems, but mine remains perfect for now. I've been collecting stuff to do a quick paint correction and then yearly inexpensive ceramic, but spending a few hundred on diy PPF for the hood and roof might be worth the hassle and learning experience.

The PPF is good UV protection. The ceramic is a bonus on top of that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nwin posted:

What the argument for taking it off?

On a black car, the gloss/depth isn't the same as a well-polished clearcoat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Observe:

It’s your money bud, not trying to run ya down or anything just being glib. I have a 2016 double cab I plan on keeping as long as it’ll run but I’m sure as poo poo not going to drop 5k on paint protection. It’s a truck.

But we just have different priorities and that’s totally cool. Great looking truck nonetheless.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Colt Seavers would have gotten PPF.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

meatpimp posted:

I see your point about being scared to gently caress it up with it on there because of the added expense of fixing any damages *and* replacing the film. I have committed to taking that gamble and what happens, happens. This stuff has a ten year warranty and my hopes are that with proper care, I can take it off in...... 12 years? 15? And underneath I still have paint that is mint or really goddam close to mint. Or if it still looks good maybe I'll leave it on. I'll report back to the thread in 10-15 years. :v:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

having mint paint after 10+ years would be pretty sweet. especially if you bought the truck new i can get behind keeping the depreciation at a minimum. especially a taco which historically hold value really well.

going to do a scratch repair job on my boss's blue vw mk3 cabby. she tried to get rid of some clear coat paint damage with a scotch brite pad lol and made some hilarious swirl marks. besides the clear coat damage, looks like rock chips, the paint seems good besides the user error swirl marks. car probably has never seen any big highway miles, just driven around town so its already really clean for its vintage.

going to try to get it done really efficiently and keep track of how long i spend on each step. the nice part of the cabby is that its very small and also doesnt even have a roof to work on.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for removing greasy interior coatings? I just got my car back from some collision repair and they "detailed" the interior (which seems to mean they smeared some sort of greasy interior coating over everything)

I just got done trying quick detailer. I'm hoping that was sufficient, but I'm letting everything dry for a bit. I am debating going with some orange degreaser on all the plastic parts, but I'm not sure if that's going to be safe.

They also put some black dye poo poo on all the exterior rubber, but I'm hoping that just slowly goes away over time.

On the plus side, the peeling clearcoat on my old bumper is no longer a problem (they replaced the whole thing)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Armor All, not even once.

Try some diluted all purpose cleaner before a degreaser, should work fine.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hot take I use armor all tire foam and love it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arson Daily posted:

Hot take I use armor all tire foam and love it.

I like it too. Not too shiny!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm sure they have other products that are fine. But gently caress traditional armor all, always and forever. Greasy nasty stuff. Nearly got into an accident test driving a used car once because it somehow ended up on the pedals.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

opengl128 posted:

I'm sure they have other products that are fine. But gently caress traditional armor all, always and forever. Greasy nasty stuff. Nearly got into an accident test driving a used car once because it somehow ended up on the pedals.
There was a post about 10 - 12 years ago from someone who was complaining about Armor All because they decided to put it on the treads of their tires (I think it was a Lexus IS) and they crashed the car.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

In the early 90s I put armorall wheel cleaning foam on my brand new wheels and it stripped the paint off.

About a year later saw an ad in Car and Driver magazine for a class action suit for anyone who bought the stuff.

That's my armorall story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Any feelings one way or the other on Suntek Film products?
The detailer I'm talking to uses Suntek, so I'm interested in getting the hivethink opinion.

The 3M guy in town has mysteriously stops talking to me whenever i ask for an appointment after paying a deposit and him cancelling once. (chargeback time)