Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

That’s Peacemaker.

Yeah, I checked again and I was wrong, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

Yeah, I checked again and I was wrong, oops.

I think they deliberately lead you to guess Flag at first since they mention his heart.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I refuse to watch the new Suicide Squad movie because they didn't bring back Slipknot, the man who can climb ANYTHING.

I'm just wondering where Katana is. She is supposed to have Flag's back. If she were there, he would advise not getting killed by her. Her sword traps the souls of its victims.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean technically Franklin is actually the most super powered being in the universe. Since he's the only one that will survive it.

Tell that to the Immortal Hulk

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

This movie feels like a bunch of TikTok clips with famous people in it. There's no cohesive story. This is worse than Batman vs Superman

Edit: whoever edited this is a monster

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 7, 2021

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Old Man Pants posted:

This movie feels like a bunch of TikTok clips with famous people in it. There's no cohesive story. This is worse than Batman vs Superman

I liked the part where they played astronaut in the ocean every time king shark was on screen

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Old Man Pants posted:

It's a very straightforward story and the editing is great. Just can't comprehend his take.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does anyone know where the John Ostrander cameo is in the movie?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ruddiger posted:

Does anyone know where the John Ostrander cameo is in the movie?

Pretty sure he's the doctor who injects Savant's bomb at the very start.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Arist posted:

Pretty sure he's the doctor who injects Savant's bomb at the very start.

Yeah!
Also Lloyd Kaufman is in the bar scene, first being pushed by Peacemaker -if I remember correctly- and then I think he is dancing with a sex worker.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I caught the Lloyd Kaufman cameo too, it's awesome Gunn still sneaks him into his movies.

Man, I'm really in the mood to read Giffen's 2000 run on Suicide Squad, but my single issues aren't in the same state as I am. :(

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's a very straightforward story and the editing is great. Just can't comprehend his take.

Sounds like maybe they accidentally watched the first Suicide Squad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Sounds like maybe they accidentally watched the first Suicide Squad.

Yeah that's a totally accurate description of that movie, actually.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah that's a totally accurate description of that movie, actually.

Oh, yeah. Watching the one with the crocodile and not the shark. Easy mistake.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like it got sorta better, but man this story is boring

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well I watched suicide squad 1 before watching the newest. what a dumb, mediocre movie. Parts were good, but it was weighed down by the dumb villains and plot.

Boomerang was Boomerang in personality, but needed to actually throw boomerangs. Christ.

Robbie as Harley was good.

Leto would have been a fine joker if he didn't look like poo poo. He wasn't that bad. It was an interesting take.

Flagg was dumb.

Deadshot was kinda deadshot, but also not.

Croc was fun.

Katanna didn't need to be in the movie.

Slipknot for the half second we saw his expertise was interesting, but lmao.

Diablo lmao

Waller is sorta waller, but also not. This interpretation sucks.

In the end I think I liked it more than disliked it.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 7, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is why I wish the new one had some kind of subtitle. A lot of people are going to accidentally watch the previous absolute dogshit one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Better than the first one by a mile. Definitely wouldn't say it was the best DC movie though. Of the ones I've seen probably number three. But that makes it one of three DC movies I've really enjoyed. I thought for the most part that plot was kinda lame but the characters made up for it. Well except for Polka Dot Man. I never got on board with whatever Gunn was doing there. Didn't work for me. Contrary to most people I think Ratcatcher stole the movie, not Peacemaker. But I enjoyed most everyone else in it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 7, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I am very very picky about action movies and in general the more gunfire there is the less I like it outside of a few little genre slivers. I'm a huge wimp. So-- this was going to be an uphill battle for me to begin with, and I think I would have been pretty bored with it in the theater. But as something to watch at home with dinner, I didn't think it was awful-- it was definitely very much a James Gunn movie moreso than either GotG, which is a good thing and a bad thing. I really liked Ratcatcher, I love that archetype of the one idealistic character in a very cynical story getting a chance to be proven right, I loved the bit about gambling on love when she was making friends with King Shark, I loved the rats, I loved all of that. Elba and Cena were ok on their own but really shone when they got a chance to play off of each other, which thankfully was pretty frequently. And of course Peter Capaldi did a whole lot with fairly little, as is his wont I guess.

I think Robbie is also still very clearly having a lot of fun with her role and putting a ton of nuance into it, but Harley's stuff felt a little superfluous, and I think with very little shuffling the story could have been told just as well without her. Still-- she really owns this character and breathes a ton of life into even fairly limp scenes. I was very into her big solo action set piece, the choreography of her javelin fighting sequence, all the stuff with the flowering wounds was lovely.

It's weird. When I finished the movie the bits that stuck with me were all good bits, bits that I liked, but I still felt kind of overwhelmed, like the whole thing was less than the sum of its parts. I think that for all the bombastic soundtrack cues and stylized gore and lovingly over the top set-pieces the whole project felt curiously... subdued? Like the tonal volume of the entire thing was just slightly miscalibrated, a bit too leisurely when it needed to pick up the pace and a bit too rushed when it should have taken a second to breathe.

I think I'd categorize it with a few other superhero movies as "Probably a good movie, just not a movie I was destined to really vibe with," adjacent to the handful of "probably not a very good movie, but kind of my poo poo."

That being said, yeah, miles better than the original Suicide Squad, which I found borderline unwatchable. I think if I had to rank our existing trifecta of Harley Quinn-centric movies I'd definitely put it in between that and Birds of Prey, which I rewatched last week and still find really lovely and sharp. And funny-- the weird thing about The Suicide Squad, and maybe seeing it with a crowd would have helped, is how many beats that felt like big laugh moments just fell flat. Like I saw the joke, processed it, even, maybe, appreciated it as funny, but it just didn't land all the way. There were some really great, funny moments in this movie, but a lot more that sort of... respectably bombed? Every instance of the Polka Dot Man's mom schtick was just kind of not working for me.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 7, 2021

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Suicide squad is the worst dceu movie, but the suicide squad is the best dceu movie

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I just finished watching the new one and it's hosed up how Harley Quinn now has a stronger quality to poo poo ratio than any other DC character as far as the modern live action movies go.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 7, 2021

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly liked suicide squad more than the suicide squad

Ratcatcher II was cool though and I appreciate Gunn using DCs naming convention for legacy characters. I’ll also say Robbie is getting better at playing as Harley.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Tell that to the Immortal Hulk

I mean, it's arguable if that's actually the Hulk or just the One Below All wearing a meat suit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, it's arguable if that's actually the Hulk or just the One Below All wearing a meat suit.

I meant more that it features a scene where he both reveals he killed Franklin Richards and that if Richards dies Mr. Immortal is actually his runner up replacement!

(Nothing will ever please me more than Mr. Immortal of all characters showing up in Immortal Hulk.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just got out of seeing the good Suicide Squad and I would definitely recommend it

Not as good as the GotG movies but it’s a completely different property so I’m fine with that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah just finished it, it's not a great movie but it was a lot of fun, strong recommened

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Good movie, but it pissed me off because there's no way Marvel can do a live action Squirrel Girl now because Gunn already loving nailed it with Ratcatcher.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GLOSS posted:

Good movie, but it pissed me off because there's no way Marvel can do a live action Squirrel Girl now because Gunn already loving nailed it with Ratcatcher.
I was surprised when that character ended up being like half of the movie

She's barely in the trailers

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I watched it in an empty movie theater with my fiancee, and it was good. Very much a James Gunn movie, and the deaths did surprise me: I thought we'd get more mileage out of the first team, and I was bummed that we're not getting more Captain Boomerang in the DCEU. Like, what's with Marvel and DC hating on recurring B-list villains in their cinematic universes?

Liked Ratcatcher, but the biggest surprise to me was how John Cena made me care about Peacemaker's upcoming series, wanting to see more of him. Fiancee liked the movie, and I could tell Ratcatcher and her pet rat were her favorites, along with King Shark.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just finished TSS and I fully expected Polka Dot Man to die the minute he was announced, I am surprised how long he made it. I thought near the end that his big moment would be sacrificing himself by turning into a polka-dot explosion like he mentions in his scene where he infodumps his whole backstory. Gonna agree with some posters that outside of the one initial gag his whole mom schtick just didn't play with me and I would've enjoyed more giant Starro flailing than the scene with a PDM mom.

The couple of surprises I didn't see coming were King Shark living to the end, because I expected him to bite it at numerous points. Also I didn't expect Peacemaker to (almost) die, since I knew he had a series coming up. Loved the callback to his and Bloodshot's "shooting smaller bullets" thing from the start.

My only real complaint I have (story wise) is why did Waller let Harley live? They knew she was still alive and they also knew she was captured (or at least that she had gone way off mission) I mean I know the actual reason is because Harley is too big a character to kill but I'd have liked it if there was more of a story reason.

Anyway yeah this is probably the best DCU film to date, or at least the most unique. Like, I may not have liked every beat/joke but goddamn if it doesn't shake up the formula more than anything DC or the MCU have done in years.

badjohny posted:

I just could not get over how huge John Cena is. There are a few shots where it is almost an uncanny vally reaction (if that is the right term). When they are in the armored car, he just looks to huge to be real. I know he is that huge, but my brain just can't seem to wrap around it. Maybe it was the costume or seeing him around people that aren't roided out WWE wrestlers. I mean Henry Cavil is huge, but this is something else.

I will say he almost stole the movie. He just seemed to be having a blast playing Peacemaker.

I mean the costume is definitely deliberately too small/tight to make him look that way but yeah dude is huge.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Cena got the good good Rock HGH for this, that scene in his underwear he's like full on Arnie in Terminator jacked

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

TwoPair posted:

My only real complaint I have (story wise) is why did Waller let Harley live? They knew she was still alive and they also knew she was captured (or at least that she had gone way off mission) I mean I know the actual reason is because Harley is too big a character to kill but I'd have liked it if there was more of a story reason.

I have no evidence to support this but I feel Harley is a free woman who's already figured out how to deactivate or remove her chip and just randomly shows up for missions at the last second because it's fun and she likes hanging out with her pals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a good take.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Multiple goons weirdly gleeful at the death of Pete Davidson in this movie!!!! Not sure what he’s ever done to deserve a reaction like that??? His freaking out after thinking Weasel was a werewolf was actually really funny

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Multiple goons weirdly gleeful at the death of Pete Davidson in this movie!!!! Not sure what he’s ever done to deserve a reaction like that??? His freaking out after thinking Weasel was a werewolf was actually really funny

He is not funny and his stardom is a mystery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His dead dad jokes seem to bother a lot of people. I know someone who is offended that Pete would dare to make jokes about 9/11 but like, the dude's did died there, I think he gets a pass right?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mr Hootington posted:

He is not funny and his stardom is a mystery.

I mean, he’s a standup who is on TV and movies. That’s why he’s famous. He’s done this for the better part of a decade now. Also is any of that a good reason to lust for is death?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea who he was but I thought the interaction with Weasel was hilarious

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I mean, he’s a standup who is on TV and movies. That’s why he’s famous. He’s done this for the better part of a decade now. Also is any of that a good reason to lust for is death?

I don't think anyone lusts for his death in real life, they were just happy his character died early so they didn't have to sit through a whole movie with him in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

His dead dad jokes seem to bother a lot of people. I know someone who is offended that Pete would dare to make jokes about 9/11 but like, the dude's did died there, I think he gets a pass right?

It has been 20 years and we killed tens of millions, Americans do not get to be offened after 9/11 joked anymore.

He is still not funny.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

He sucks and is not funny. I'm glad he gets domed so we don't have to suffer his presence.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 8, 2021