Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

I hope you manual drivers aren’t coasting in neutral all over the place

closed loop baby

drivetrain friction is crazy low now, the golf coasts closed loop very, very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ok Comboomer posted:

I do all the time in my Ioniq. It's great.

I bet it's more efficient than regenning too.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Let's not relitigate coasting vs regen yet again

Cat in an EV:

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

knox_harrington posted:

Cat in an EV:

Listen to that motor purrrrr. Do you keep the spaceship noise on? I was kind of fond of it on my test drive. It is taking AGES to get my darn car from the port to the dealership, hoping to take delivery Monday if there are no further delays...

Edit: Also really hoping we get a firmware update to support Android Auto, I can't see a reason they'll only give it to the 911.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eeenmachine posted:

Listen to that motor purrrrr. Do you keep the spaceship noise on? I was kind of fond of it on my test drive. It is taking AGES to get my darn car from the port to the dealership, hoping to take delivery Monday if there are no further delays...

Edit: Also really hoping we get a firmware update to support Android Auto, I can't see a reason they'll only give it to the 911.

I did buy the Tie fighter noise but don't often put it on. It's very cool but either silence or music is kinda better.

The 2021 model Taycans have Android Auto so hopefully it will also get updated to the earlier cars.

e: I meant 2022 cars get android auto

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 7, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

I coast with the clutch in

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

it was really just one dude that was extremely wrong.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

bird with big dick posted:

If you can afford a brand new EV and don't have $7500 in tax liability you're probably committing tax fraud.

If you are a single income family, the wage earner could make over six figgies and you'd have less than $7,500 in tax liabilities pretty easily after the $25k standard deduction and some 401(k) contributions. You'd be well below $7.5k if you had any kids.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do all the time in my Ioniq. It's great.

I bet it's more efficient than regenning too.

do you even know what I'm talking about?

ok, I'm sure this would be triggering to me, if I were a car

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I literally sucked my breath in and I haven’t owned a manual in like 6 years, lol.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just read an article that says that the $7,500 tax credit you get on a eligible EV will get you a refund for the difference if your tax liability is less than the EV credit. i.e. if I buy an EV, get the tax credit, and at the end of the year I owe $3,500 in taxes. I get the remaining $4,000 in the form of a refund? I might be crazy but I distinctly remember reading that this is not at all how the EV credits work, meaning, you get your tax bill zeroed out and nothing else. Is the article author a moron or am I?

The way this is explained in most articles makes it really confusing for most people to understand.

When you file taxes at the end of the year, you calculate your tax bill (the amount you owe). Then, from that tax bill, you subtract your withholding (a prepayment). If the amount you withheld from your paychecks throughout the year is less than you owe, then you need to pay the IRS. If the amount you withheld from your paychecks was more, you get a “refund”.

Now, the part that confuses most people is that a non-refundable tax credit does not mean you can’t get a “refund”. It just means that it can’t reduce the amount you owe below 0.

Numbers are easier, so let’s have an example. Imagine you have an end of year tax bill of $7,000. Let’s imagine you withheld $6,000, so you owe $1,000.

Now imagine you also had the EV tax credit. Subtract $7,500 from your tax bill, which gives you -$500… but wait, the tax credit is non refundable, so it can’t bring you below $0. You still had $6,000 withheld, so the IRS will return that prepayment to you.

In summary, a non-refundable tax credit does NOT mean that you can’t get money back at the end of the year, or that it will go to waste if you do. It just means that your total tax bill (sans withholding prepayments) cannot go below zero. If you have a job and can afford an EV it’s likely you’d get most or all of that $7,500.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MrLogan posted:

If you are a single income family, the wage earner could make over six figgies and you'd have less than $7,500 in tax liabilities pretty easily after the $25k standard deduction and some 401(k) contributions. You'd be well below $7.5k if you had any kids.

That’s true

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah even if you don't have any kids or other big deductions/credits, married filed jointly doesn't hit $7500 in taxes until around $90k annual income. Median household income is more like $60k. The vast majority of Americans are nowhere close to being able to reap the full tax credit of an EV purchase, and there are some very affordable EVs these days that you can buy on a loan while paying practically no interest.

But I still think that $7500 capped is better than the hypothetical $3000 uncapped that some other goon proposed, that would make no sense

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah even if you don't have any kids or other big deductions/credits, married filed jointly doesn't hit $7500 in taxes until around $90k annual income. Median household income is more like $60k. The vast majority of Americans are nowhere close to being able to reap the full tax credit of an EV purchase, and there are some very affordable EVs these days that you can buy on a loan while paying practically no interest.

But I still think that $7500 capped is better than the hypothetical $3000 uncapped that some other goon proposed, that would make no sense

It should be refundable at least, or ideally should be applied at the time of sale to the sticker price. It also shouldn’t be restricted to first X sales per manufacturer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We should probably ramp up the taxes a little on these households making 60-100k a year. Make them feel like they’ve got some skin in the game.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There was a Merc EQA on the street just up from my house. First one I've seen, I like it a load more in person than I thought. In photos it looks a bit dumpy but makes more sense irl. The interior is quite nice as well..

Also I saw there's a Car and Driver mini review of the e-tron GT
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37215610/2022-audi-e-tron-gt-quattro-rs-e-tron-gt-drive/

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 7, 2021

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What's the reason for the Kona only being sold in a small handful of states? I finally got myself mentally to where I like the looks of it, and got no further than the homepage before seeing they're not sold in Virginia. I don't mind driving two hours to Maryland to find one, but it won't work if that's also the closest place I can have it serviced (I called the local dealership to ask, but they didn't know).

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jackpot posted:

What's the reason for the Kona only being sold in a small handful of states? I finally got myself mentally to where I like the looks of it, and got no further than the homepage before seeing they're not sold in Virginia. I don't mind driving two hours to Maryland to find one, but it won't work if that's also the closest place I can have it serviced (I called the local dealership to ask, but they didn't know).

They're sold in states that have a mandate for ZEVs (follow California emission laws), generally. Maryland is one of them, I think DC is too. I have to go from Washington to Oregon for some cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean engine brake like a manual car in gear, not coasting in neutral.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

knox_harrington posted:

Cat in an EV:

What is your cat seat setup? Are they secured or just chilling

E: hope that didn't sound acusatory, just mostly like, do they have a harness? And is it hard to get it on them? I want to take my kitty for a drive :3:

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 8, 2021

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Animals? In my EV?!?!?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wayne Knight posted:

We put a man on the moon. If we wanted to, we could do it. We simply don't care enough.

I think this would cost more, not only in taxpayer dollars but also higher costs for just about everything as building codes change, we start building far more energy production facilities (what does that even LOOK like?), cities have to figure out how to accommodate, etc.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It takes about as much electricity to refine gasoline for 100 miles of driving as it takes to propel an EV 100 miles (although hard numbers are hard to come by, it might be more or less) so you wouldn't need more energy generation. Better energy distribution, certainly, but not more generation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pun pundit posted:

It takes about as much electricity to refine gasoline for 100 miles of driving as it takes to propel an EV 100 miles (although hard numbers are hard to come by, it might be more or less) so you wouldn't need more energy generation. Better energy distribution, certainly, but not more generation.

Sheer quantity doesn’t tell the whole story.

You need as much generation capacity as your peak load, even if such loads only occur once in a blue moon.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 8, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
We can mitigate peak load through peak power incentives, residential solar/battery and industrial storage.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Westy543 posted:

What is your cat seat setup? Are they secured or just chilling

E: hope that didn't sound acusatory, just mostly like, do they have a harness? And is it hard to get it on them? I want to take my kitty for a drive :3:

Yea Marcie is wearing a harness and the carrier has a leash inside that she's clipped to. She doesn't like the mountain roads very much but is pretty happy chilling on the autoroute. I think it's important to her if she can see outside pretty well.

The harness is from here and are in general a lot cuter than others I've seen.

https://www.butterflycatjackets.com

PenisMonkey posted:

Animals? In my EV?!?!?

Nice marmot

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That's a muppet.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

pun pundit posted:

Also it would take this statement being true which it isn't. Shockingly most of the energy a refinery uses to crack oil comes from burning oil and oil waste products directly. Luckily we are able to add capacity using solar and wind in much smaller and dispersed generation then large power plants that need massive scale to be efficient.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I've been reading the last few pages of this thread and it's letting me know that there's a whole lot about EVs I need to understand before I go about buying one.

Is there a good resource to figure what the current situation is with the market? Who's got what and what their aimed at? What you need to consider for yourself local area (and weather conditions?) I've paid zero attention to cars for practically my whole life, but if I'm about to buy a new one I want to do some research and need somewhere to start.

Could be nice for the OP as well.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

pun pundit posted:

Although I was told that the electricity used for this purpose is generated at the refinery thru some sort of co-generation. If so, you would still need to update the carbon emissions for IC cars.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

NZAmoeba posted:

I've been reading the last few pages of this thread and it's letting me know that there's a whole lot about EVs I need to understand before I go about buying one.

Is there a good resource to figure what the current situation is with the market? Who's got what and what their aimed at? What you need to consider for yourself local area (and weather conditions?) I've paid zero attention to cars for practically my whole life, but if I'm about to buy a new one I want to do some research and need somewhere to start.

Spending a couple hours watching through the electric vehicle related videos and reviews on the Engineering Explained youtube channel can be very educational (his ICE videos are also very good). And if he ever mentions some aspect of vehicles you don't understand, he probably has a whiteboard video explaining it further down the channel.

Another channel that did some fairly good work on EVs is "the fast lane car", including an interesting saga when one of them backed a model 3 into the side of a garage which took several months and >$10,000 to fix.

But beware the many Tesla focused channels on youtube (Tesla being the elephant in the room when it comes to EV discussion); there are some good ones (frugal tesla guy, dirty tesla), but there are a lot more garbage ones that annoy me with obviously biased presentations. Keep in mind a lot of these channels are trying to exploit a cult like brand bubble for that sweet youtube ad revenue and are often not making even remotely neutral observations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LRADIKAL posted:

We can mitigate peak load through peak power incentives, residential solar/battery and industrial storage.

An enormously expensive and complex undertaking that nobody wants to pay for, unlike the space race. And only one of many such challenges to boost EV adoption to loving 90% of the market in less than a decade.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Welp, better not try, then.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wayne Knight posted:

Welp, better not try, then.

Nobody posting here has any influence over whether the US government tries anything.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Absolutely true, but "This nice thing you're describing and wanting is too hard, we're doomed to never improving anything ever." gets tiresome. Yeah, maybe we're idealists, but let people be happy sometimes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wayne Knight posted:

Absolutely true, but "This nice thing you're describing and wanting is too hard, we're doomed to never improving anything ever." gets tiresome. Yeah, maybe we're idealists, but let people be happy sometimes.

Nobody said the thing you said they said.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If I can't get mad at strawmen what is even the point of the internet?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Wayne Knight posted:

If I can't get mad at strawmen what is even the point of the internet?

Fair enough, go off

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NZAmoeba posted:

Feel free to ask questions here! In addition to the YouTube channels mentioned, Bjorn Nyland is pretty objective and has good objective tests for range, etc (but the videos are geared toward people who sort of already know some things I'd say, might be hard to just jump in).

And then for you generally we ask what you're looking for, are you able to charge at home, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wayne Knight posted:

White noise "better things aren't possible" and "better not try" posts any time someone points out the difficulties in doing difficult things are extremely tiresome.