Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

God Hole posted:

i was enraptured by barry lyndon all the way through the first time i watched it. i am also never going to watch it again, and i think that's exactly how kubrick intended it

Also yes Barry Lyndon is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80eMhhWnWbk

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Judakel posted:

i love him as a person

that's how I feel about Ron Howard

Mr Hootington posted:

Nope it is stupid. Length of the movie doesn't matter. The quality of the movie matters.

Edit: for those that need short movies might I suggest cocomelon or pinkfong on YouTube. Lots of independent short movies you can enjoy.

ughh my toddler is all about cocomelon these days, I miss the dinotunes/prehistorica phase :(

God Hole posted:

a major point of discussion in the Green Knight CD thread was that it was boring as gently caress and needed a battle scene to spice things up

Peanut President posted:

yeah thats why i wanted to talk about it here, the CD thread was driving me insane. "i guess if you like boring pretentious art movies this is for you" says board that considers the transformers movies subtle outsider art critique of hollywood

?? I'm reading the thread now and that's literally just one poster, the overwhelming concensus is that it's :perfect:

CD's rep vs reality will never cease to amaze lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The new suicide squad owns

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I liked it when john cena and idris elba tried to one up each other

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Margot Robbie is cool. Hurry up with a new Tank Girl movie already. She's perfect.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The new suicide squad owns

I'm watching it right now and really enjoying it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Saw Another Round with Mads Mikkelsen yesterday. Very good, would absolutely destroy my life for a chance to get drunk with Mads and do jazz dance

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Jetto Jagga posted:

Someone mentioned Godzilla vs Biollante earlier, it's a top 3 Godzilla for me. Bio firms are fighting over custody of Godzilla cells, the American company bombs the Saudi lab Dr Shirigami is working at and kills his daughter, driving him to create a Frankenstein horror out of his daughter's DNA + Godzilla + a rose, her favorite flower. Ambitious and overstuffed, the last great Godzilla entry until 2004's GMK.

That was me! And I sadly agree. The Heisei era didn't feel as ambitious as the Showa era when it came to presenting Godzilla and the world, if that makes sense? Even Godzilla vs. Megalon had a delightfully wild human subplot. We either got some really flat performances and stories (I'm thinking of Godzilla vs. Mothra and Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla) or straight homages to other films that maybe crib a little too much from them (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2). One thing you never want is for a Godzilla movie to be boring outside of the monster fights, and I found myself skipping through them more often than not as an impressionable child.

Also, GMK came out in 2001! 2004 was Godzilla: Final Wars, which features Don Frye wielding a katana like a baseball bat, some extremely inspired dialogue, and the worst Matrix ripoff you ever did see.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
when the gently caress can i pirate green knight

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think this is the godzilla cultural product i'm most aware of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ha9U7YNyA

Serf
May 5, 2011

the new suicide squad movie was pretty good. james gunn generally knows how to turn in an uncomplicated, enjoyable film

i did laugh pretty hard at waller's team betraying her. like lmao you don't make it that deep into the engine of empire with any sort of conscience. felt very contrived and "america is bad but not that bad" in the way that you're required to do so your script gets approved

viola davis owns as waller, who had a lot less to do in this movie but is regardless still the best character. i love it because the role she inhabits is historically fulfilled by dead-eyed mormons in starched suits, but she gets to be as much of a psychopathic imperialist with ice water in her veins but since she's a black woman it comes across differently. showing her to be truly depraved felt like a good response to all those woke cia ads about latina bi women claiming their space in the alphabet agencies

also kudos to the movie for making me feel a little bad for starro, who i always considered a joke villain

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
With starro introduced, they can bring I'm the best Robin Jarro.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

in pennyworth e02 they publicly execute jimmy savile

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Some Guy TT posted:

lets say ten minutes or less for the sake of argument

'Curve' is exactly what you want

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Serf posted:

i did laugh pretty hard at waller's team betraying her. like lmao you don't make it that deep into the engine of empire with any sort of conscience. felt very contrived and "america is bad but not that bad" in the way that you're required to do so your script gets approved

Yeah I found that pretty funny too. Those chumps would've just kept their heads down and their mouths shut and hope that Waller never noticed any hesitation on their parts (she would have)

It was even funnier when she let them live AND keep their jobs in the end. I was positive she was going to at a minimum black-bag all of them but nope, gotta have them feelgoods

Polka Dot man owned lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I found that pretty funny too. Those chumps would've just kept their heads down and their mouths shut and hope that Waller never noticed any hesitation on their parts (she would have)

It was even funnier when she let them live AND keep their jobs in the end. I was positive she was going to at a minimum black-bag all of them but nope, gotta have them feelgoods

Polka Dot man owned lol

i kinda thought that the implication of sending them to handle peacemaker after the credits was that at some point she would give the order to have him kill them all

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Polka Dot Man was phenomenal. And that actor's story is even more so.

I'm not very familiar with the DC universe other than the movies and most popular novels like The Long Halloween. Was Starro a pretty deep cut? Also the mad scientist played by Capaldi?

The back-stories were handled very well compared to the first iteration of this film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Starro isn't particularly obscure, it's probably the most well-known DC character in the movie besides Harley and Waller. (Obviously not saying much since the whole joke of Suicide Squad is it's full of Z-listers) Usually one of Superman or the League's cosmic level villains, though.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

one more thing about the The Suicide Squad portrayal of American atrocity/imperialism. I don't think it's bad- some criticize it as making light of imperialism, or confusing it with the political situation. I disagree, within a superhero context the American presence is clearly evil and villainous, and the political situation is that the U.S. was in favor of the old Nazi-sheltering family. I just wonder if turning it into a trope is almost like- Woke Anti-Imperialism? Or maybe not even that. Woke Capitalism highlights the woke aspects to hide capitalist malfeasance. This sort of comic book portrayal of imperialism brings it up, yawns at it as "just the way things are", and goes on. It's like Hollywood depictions of evil corporations. Or when they jokes about police brutality. It turns real life atrocity into a trope.

It sort of reminds me how when The Dark Knight Rises came out, it was a little shocking to show C.I.A. as torturing captives on the plane, even if it was "just" psychological torture and then Bane gives him the comeuppance. If that sort of depiction had been in a Bush era movie, conservatives would be crying foul about how it was un-patriotically showing America's intelligence agents in a bad light. But by 2012 no one bats an eye, it was just scene setting, everyone knew that "we tortured some folks", that's just what the CIA does, plus Bane got the drop on him anyway.

So it's interesting, I wonder if by turning these sins into tropes, they normalize them. So someone can watch The Suicide Squad and not get offended at the depiction of renegade cowboy ultra-violent American special forces going in and killing a bunch of Latin Americans in name of Yankee interests- because "hey, that's just how things are."

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
a lot of people will say the main reason this feels more like a marvel movie is the quips, but in reality it is the winter soldier-esque conclusion that the status quo is the best we can do. this works better when you're dealing with morally gray characters, and considerably less so when you're dealing with captain america.

the politically ambiguous factions in the film just come across as cowardice by gunn. dude is a puss compared to the previous dc directors

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
If you didn't laugh at the sleeping guy getting chopped up I don't want anything to do with you.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i managed to watch most of the movie in humorless grump mode willing to acknowledge some bits as clever but still not a particularly cohesive whole very much a less than the sum of its parts kind of flick

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Starro isn't particularly obscure, it's probably the most well-known DC character in the movie besides Harley and Waller. (Obviously not saying much since the whole joke of Suicide Squad is it's full of Z-listers) Usually one of Superman or the League's cosmic level villains, though.

Captain Boomerang is actually one of the Flash’s biggest nemeses. In the comics he often served the function of “See the Suicide Squad totally has important characters in it!” for the cover. Of course He dies in the first ten minutes of the movie so does he really count?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dammerung posted:

What's the name of the main guy, Gibbs? I remember his actor having a dog or something that would attack the other actors on set, and refusing to do anything about it because they couldn't tell him what to do. I wonder if shows like that, wherein an actor portrays an unstoppable and untouchable cop, make the actors think they're invincible, or if they're naturally good fits for those sorts of roles because they believe that they're invincible.

I like black coffee because I was a Marine. I was Marine and we take our coffee BLACK and therefore I am tough. Did I mention no cream in my coffee? :jerkbag:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I like black coffee because I was a Marine. I was Marine and we take our coffee BLACK and therefore I am tough. Did I mention no cream in my coffee? :jerkbag:

I like when he dumps the nails out of the baby food jars and pours whiskey in it and drinks out of that, a real man's man

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf9BjbBxrhE

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if I see one more person on my Twitter timeline with a blue check mark/was a salaried employee throughout the pandemic/has a six-figure income go on and on about the greatness of Ted Lasso, I am going to throw my phone into the nearest river

that show is basically The West Wing except not even occasionally funny, plus the main character is based off a rug-wearing cheat of a basketball coach

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

anybody remember that piece of poo poo movie Hide and Seek, someone brought up the irishman in another thread and i have the image of robert de niro attempting to kill someone with this weird forced smirk with a split personality that was supposed to be an imaginary friend of some girl (??????????????)

one of those unintentionally funny things that pops into my head occasionally

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBHcQac3qo

why is this hilarious

i love algorithm-created content

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
re: 2icide Squad - why would they kill off the only actors capable of delivering a joke in the first ten minutes. seems like a strange decision

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
does pete davidson really deliver jokes? he was some kid of comedy wunderkind at one point but I kinda figured Lorne Michaels keeps him on because he can never admit he's made a mistake.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he probably can, he had some charm in the first ten minutes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like pete :)

edit vvvv oh yeah i hate pete :)

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Aug 9, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmao, Pete apologised to that hosed up eyepatch guy for making fun of him.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

He later un-apologised which is cool but he still sucks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pete is not funny. Ever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ok I finished 2icide Squad it was ok. not sure how you get anti imperialism out of that but it’s definitely critical of particular types of American intervention

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you’d think he’d have access to better tattoo artists