Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's a little goofy IMO that "It's hosed up large corporations control all data and who gets access to that and who gets to exist in this digital space" is a contentious thought to some ITT in the franchise that spawned the Digimon Story stories which talk about that quite a bit.

3/4 of those games are about people pushed to the underside of the net because they can't exist out in the light and how that leads to them either radicalizing or getting hosed up even worse.

I mean it uses Digital cuddly monsters as metaphor in it but it's still a running theme, especially in Hacker's Memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a little goofy IMO that "It's hosed up large corporations control all data and who gets access to that and who gets to exist in this digital space" is a contentious thought to some ITT in the franchise that spawned the Digimon Story stories which talk about that quite a bit.

3/4 of those games are about people pushed to the underside of the net because they can't exist out in the light and how that leads to them either radicalizing or getting hosed up even worse.

I mean it uses Digital cuddly monsters as metaphor in it but it's still a running theme, especially in Hacker's Memories.

I'm not sure how many of us object to that, exactly. There's just a nuance to it.

Aligning your sympathies with pizzagate supporters tends to not paint the best picture of where you fall on the matter. Referring to Konaka with that, for the record.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The coolest Agumon is Savers Agumon because he’s like me and likes fried eggs

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

People who spread medical misinformation about a death plague don't deserve to exist in any space digital or otherwise, same for Alex Jones followers.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

And exactly what views are those people trying to voice that makes them unable to “exist out in the light”?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MechaX posted:

And exactly what views are those people trying to voice that makes them unable to “exist out in the light”?

I mean in the games i'm talking about most often its trying to help people through means that would get them otherwise banned. Both as a Cyber Sleuth and a member of The hacker team Hudie you're often doing work other people (The police, the admins, etc) won't handle can't handle or don't care about and the people in those cases often arrived where they are out of desperation.

If you mean IRL then usually it's holding leftist ideals or positions or just being a minority and being visible in any manner. I know conservatives love crying about being censored but I mean it takes so loving much to get even the loudest craziest most dangerous ones removed from a platform.

But even with all that said, and much like Endorph said in the first place, whether or not I agree that someone is bad and shouldn't have a platform like that doesn't make it less dangerous or hosed up that it's a massive profit seeking entity that's deciding all that. Because that Company seeking profit is what allowed those dangerous voices to gain a foothold in the first place. I mean we had a bunch of corporate media conglomerates give a bunch of free screentime and basically ad time to a specific, fairly dangerous political outsider a few years ago because he drove ratings and uh...that didn't turn out good. Leaving these business in charge of this kind of poo poo either allowing or disallowing it is bad for us. Like humans in general. It's a much bigger, more pressing, and potentially more lethal issue than 1 Old Japanese Man posting that 9/11 seemed a little suspicious.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 7, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The can’t exist in the light is kind of hilarious considering just how successful these theories have become with the advent of a platform for them to spread.

Actively ignoring reality at this point

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Coulda just wrote a story about an evil Guilmon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the best agumon is yukiagumon because it turns into seadramon who is cute and my friend

e: wikimon has just informed me that there's a yukiagumon based on agumon's savers design and also turns into seadramon so that's my vote

behold, a friend

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheHan posted:

Coulda just wrote a story about an evil Guilmon.

Canceguilmon

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The best Agumon is Professor Agumon because he went to college.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

This guy is where I get all my COVID vaccine info from

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

But even with all that said, and much like Endorph said in the first place, whether or not I agree that someone is bad and shouldn't have a platform like that doesn't make it less dangerous or hosed up that it's a massive profit seeking entity that's deciding all that. Because that Company seeking profit is what allowed those dangerous voices to gain a foothold in the first place. I mean we had a bunch of corporate media conglomerates give a bunch of free screentime and basically ad time to a specific, fairly dangerous political outsider a few years ago because he drove ratings and uh...that didn't turn out good. Leaving these business in charge of this kind of poo poo either allowing or disallowing it is bad for us. Like humans in general. It's a much bigger, more pressing, and potentially more lethal issue than 1 Old Japanese Man posting that 9/11 seemed a little suspicious.

I don't think anyone is saying that media consolation is a good thing but that any way to get this poo poo out of the places people congregate is a valid coarse to take. Public outrage is something people feel works to make even a small change. The fact of the matter is these concerns you guys are having are not going to go away until a revolution of some sort happens. Media conglomeration is a big problem that we are stuck with unless something else big also happens, a complete shift in the way people consume media, the end of capitalism, what ever that is people are going to use the tools they have now to do something about the problems they see. I dislike targeted harassment (and really that's the real problem Endorph is railing against) but that problem goes far further back than the past decade.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Toyagumon is my friend

I need a digivice or something with Rareraremon asap

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Still waiting for them to create a Toygabumon so the two can fuse into Omekamon.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Dear God,

Yeah, it's me again. I know it seems like I'm always asking you for things, but could you please maybe make people stop having complete meltdowns over vaccines in the Digimon thread where people talk about the Digimon: Digital Monsters anime that they watched when they were children?

Thanks a bunch,

Crow

how dare you, vaccines are bad

virus and data are clearly superior

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 7, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

We do have problems with so few corporations hosting so much of the internet's materials.
We just think that until something is done about their dominance, they should be good custodians.

I pointed to furries earlier because while they aren't thrown off Twitter they also aren't welcome everywhere on the internet, and so successfully self-host and build their own communities. I don't go there, but they have sites that will persist no matter if Reddit admins decide the community is toxic and shuts down their sub, or if Facebook decides a prolific artist's creations are bannable, etc. The difference is that the furries don't have an agenda to make your sister horny for Greymon, whereas the right's netroots want a pipeline injected into the cornerstones of society directing people deeper into the iceberg.

These folks actually take advantage of how centralized the internet discourse is today, and now they only want to have the government solve the problem because the mods kicked them out. If they were spread into hundreds of web sites on various hosting platforms they'd find each other and make a little splash now and then, but they wouldn't be infective on people who don't go looking for them. Drudge Report had some influence in it's day, as did a number of anti-Islam sites that popped up during the Bush administration like PJ Media. But they moved from the fringes to the center stage on Facebook and YouTube, which is where they really want to be. If they just wanted a space on the internet to exist by themselves, they have already set up numerous social engagement sites in the past year.

You have to be really bad (think Daily Stormer) to be unable to exist on the internet at all. These people simply act un-personed as soon as they're kicked off two social networks because they want the signal boost of those networks and they aren't entitled to them.

(removed a bad attempt at a joke)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 7, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kozo Shioya is returning as Olegmon this week.

Say it with me folks!

GAPPO! GAPPO! VIVA OLEG NA!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think it should be said that while you can enjoy it, in the end massmedia criticism from mass media ultimately accomplished nothing.

It won’t stop media conglomeration or anything like that. It’s shouting into the void, ultimately

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

This guy is where I get all my COVID vaccine info from

Now this is a guy who hates cancel culture

https://twitter.com/bunannart/status/1422743559162236935?s=21

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 7, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This week on Vinland Saga, we get one of the best episodes of Adventure: yet. It builds on previous plotlines, serves as a great culmination of Joe's rise to leader, and features a pretty badass debut for Vikemon. Best of all, Taichi's barely in it, with Joe and Mimi taking up the spotlight for this week. Vikemon's debut was much better than tri., no question.

6 episodes left now, this show has had its ups and downs but hopefully it’ll be able to at least give us a decent sendoff (and with any luck Ghost Game will be better).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Digimon Adventure 20 Episode 60: that was significantly better than last week and not just because Taichi wasn't around, yet it still feels like the episode was a couple of drafts away from being finished. It definitely could've used more polish and more focus on the central conceit and another once over on the storyboard, but that does seems to be the rub for the series. This is a perfect representation of what I mean when I say that it feels like the people making the show are making it out of obligation at this point, even the better episodes feel compromised. Jou and Mimi are clearly two of the characters that the show seems to like and want to do things with (Meanwhile I'm pouring one out for Koushirou and Sora), and even then the episode is obviously flawed and moreover it is obviously flawed in a way that feels unforced, like they could have been avoided if some number of people in the production cared a little bit more.

On a related matter, shouldn't the idea be that the fight gets BETTER and cooler after someone evolves to Ultimate for the first time? Because the part of the fight with Ikakkumon and Zudomon did way more to put them over and make them look cool than the short sequence the very end with Vikemon. They clearly saved up some budget for this episode but then in his debut all the show can do to put across Vikemon's amazing prowess is that he pushes his big maces really hard and then does an attack which is basically just a static shot. Depressingly, this is not a new problem for this season, Blitz Greymon, Hououmon, Heracles Kabuterimon, and Cresc Garurumon did absolutely nothing interesting in their debuts either. Once again, apathy and the lack of enthusiasm just radiates off of Adventure 20.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1424165964111822851?s=21

Episode gave us a good picture at least

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’re 6 episodes from the end and still don't even know the Great Catastrophe's name, so I'm expecting it to be Milleniumon 2.0: disappointingly bland but well animated.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the coolest digimon, well, theres only one it could be

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I just assumed it was gonna be Deathmon since that's who we saw at the beginning.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, it’s not like we knew the main villains of the any other Adventure series until the last two or so episodes either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Well, it’s not like we knew the main villains of the any other Adventure series until the last two or so episodes either.

True, didn’t the final boss of the original Adventure literally first show up during the last few episodes?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No one did Gappo Gapoo Viva Oleg Na with me :(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Larryb posted:

True, didn’t the final boss of the original Adventure literally first show up during the last few episodes?

Yeah, Apocalymon wasn't even mentioned until after Piedmon was defeated and didn't show up until the episode after.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/yamaki_nyx/status/1424396260753121285?s=19

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Marluxia posted:

I just assumed it was gonna be Deathmon since that's who we saw at the beginning.

I doubt I'll be that lucky.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Uh huh, Yeah, OK.

At best, best, he's a thoughtless buffoon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, uh... he’s not a COVID denier! That’s something at least.

While I still disagree with the far right label and think the fan sub disclaimer is ridiculous, he’s still definitely drinking some of the kool aid. I’m not sure if he even knows exactly why he was “cancelled.”
I’m still interested in what Tamers 2020 would have been, though. I doubt he’ll mention Tamers again after this though, so I’m guessing it will remain a mystery.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Frankly, after this whole mess, nevermind the fact that we now have scienticic proof that Digimon Anime Sequals just don't work, I think that's for the best for all parties.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So Ghost Games’s poster got updated to give Seishiro a bandaged arm. Will Ruri get an injury next to complete the set?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1424247872313348099

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love Leader Shogun Bancho Joe-sempai and his surprisingly well-drawn Vikemon. Pretty good episode, this and Mimi were the best Megas so far...which is unsurprising, being the best characters in the series.

Next episode, the first anime appearance of NiseDrimogemon!

EDIT: We have the summaries for episodes 61 to 64, thanks to With the Will:

Episode 61- Where I Want To Return (August 15th)
During the journey, Takeru Takaishi and Patamon reunite with Eldoradimon who is desperately trying to climb a mountain. They also reunite with Leomon, who tells them that Eldoradimon is trying to use the mountain to return to its homeland of Cloud Continent. At the foot of the mountain, Gravimon (who constantly makes snide comments) as well as many of the other Digimon whom Leomon had rescued watch Eldoradimon's efforts. They could all see that, with Eldoradimon's giant size, getting to the top of the mountain would be impossible. Despite this, Takeru does his utmost to grant Eldoradimon's wish.

Episode 62- Shakkoumon's Tears (August 22nd)
Following her digivice, Sora Takenouchi and Piyomon arrive at cultivated land, where they help Neemon, Junkmon, Muchomon and co help turn the wasteland into cultivated soil. They plan to reform the land into a Digimon's paradise one day. Taichi Yagami and Agumon meet up with them. However, by chance, Shakkoumon who was asleep beneath the ground, awakens and goes berserk. Taichi and Greymon face him down, but Shakkoumon's attack turns Greymon back to Agumon, leaving Sora and Garudamon to fight on their own. During the fight, Shakkoumon's "memories of the ancient war" flow into Sora and Garudamon's minds. It was a memory of something that had occurred during the fierce battle, of a tragedy that had happened between Shakkoumon and the Cupimon that had sealed him away.

Episode 63- Crest of Courage (August 29th)
Taichi and Agumon appear at a mysterious castle. Valkyrimon is waiting for them there, and separates Taichi from Agumon, throwing Taichi into an unknown world inhabited by violent Digimon. Taichi is confused by the sudden development, but saves a baby Botamon from a Goblimon that's about to attack and searches for an exit. As he protects Botamon without Agumon there to help, Taichi faces one challenge after another. What is Valkyrimon after?

Episode 64- The Angels' Determination (September 5th)
Taichi and the other Chosen Children regroup once more at the Tree of Knowledge. Having found the key to the mystery of the Crests, what answer have they come upon? The truth of their adventures is soon revealed. Meanwhile, abnormalities are springing up in the digital world little by little. The landscape gives way to white, empty space, ignoring the laws of physics. Thie was the beginning of the "great destruction" that was to come. The only ones who can stop it are the Chosen Children and their Digimon. At last, the final battle begins!

Seraphimon and Ofanimon will apparently not appear until the very end of the series, and likely accomplish nothing since said end also has to introduce Omegamon Alter-S, which is Taichi's Digimon and therefore the most important. Not to be overly cynical, but it feels like this was the last good episode of Adventure: and what's left will be mediocre to bad.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 8, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So as someone who is no longer a diehard Digimon fan but did enjoy a few seasons, is the reboot worth watching?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tosk posted:

So as someone who is no longer a diehard Digimon fan but did enjoy a few seasons, is the reboot worth watching?

It has its moments but overall I’d say no unless you’re really curious about it. But your mileage may vary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tosk posted:

No. There's a lot better series of Digimon to watch than this one. It's not terrible or anything but it's mostly mediocre with some shining moments. Not sure what series you have not watched, but if you're feeling the Digimon mood, Tamers, Savers and Universe: Appli Monsters are far better choices (I imagine you watched the original Adventure)