Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I love that the first place visited after the randomiser was installed was Skaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seriously, it was such a glorious troll move by the TARDIS. :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BooDooBoo posted:

"Where have you brought me now old girl..? oh no there are monsters here!"

Have any of you goons encountered the pushback against this phrase among fandom?

(Not in a toxic way, and I think they've got a point tbh, but it's fascinating the way fandom can split hairs like this.)

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Open Source Idiom posted:

Have any of you goons encountered the pushback against this phrase among fandom?

(Not in a toxic way, and I think they've got a point tbh, but it's fascinating the way fandom can split hairs like this.)

It's just what people called ships, and it carried over, I've never run into problems using it, even with my radical-left feminist trans-ally friends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only really fuckin weirdos have a problem with feminine names for vehicles so OF COURSE there's a chunk of DW fandom that has issue with it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I love that the first place visited after the randomiser was installed was Skaro.

And straight after that they go to Earth!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched the one where they installed the randomizer last night on my weekly PBS viewing. I like how it starts out setting up a typical-seeming story about bringing peace to two warring parties like probably 60% of the episodes I've seen so far, and then it goes off into bizarre territory involving Tom Baker's childhood friend betraying him but that not being a big deal, a shrink ray, the white guardian secretly being the black guardian, a lady being the part they need for the time/space thing but it being no big deal for her to turn back into a lady, and then nobody really worrying about the genocidal army guy or where everyone on the other planet run by a computer went. And the computer-repair timelord walks off screen at some point and that's his exit from the episode.

I'm really starting to enjoy this show.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

So uh, am I missing something in the latest War Master or does The master imply he's eaten his guards and then later the Dalek ambassador?.

That last story, Unfinished Business, is a loving MASTERCLASS (heh) and that ending just perfection. Highly recommend this set.

McGann fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's a continuation of the Hannibal Lectre pastiche from earlier in the episode.

BooDooBoo posted:

It's just what people called ships, and it carried over, I've never run into problems using it, even with my radical-left feminist trans-ally friends.

Rhyno posted:

Only really fuckin weirdos have a problem with feminine names for vehicles so OF COURSE there's a chunk of DW fandom that has issue with it.

Uh, no, sorry, I think you've attributed a bunch to my original post that wasn't intended.

I meant that I've seen a lot of discussion about how it's a deeply trite cliché, nothing about the gender.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In my opinion, the TARDIS should be called the S.S. More Powerful than Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and the Incredible Hulk Combined

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
It's basically a space rocket with Batman at the controls.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Unkempt posted:

It's basically a space rocket with Batman at the controls.

And his companion is a cow wearing a space helmet.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's a continuation of the Hannibal Lectre pastiche from earlier in the episode.

That is why I should stop listening parts of audios whilst no longer sober, though it does mean I get to re-listen to some of the greats and not remember the twists I guess.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1425373923550523397

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJTSnLQvP8

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Apparently Nicola Walker is doing a cop show that starts airing next week in the UK that has Paul McGann co-starring. I'm going to check that out, because they've been fantastic together in Doctor Who.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I never watch cop shows, but I watched L&O: UK because of Jamie Bamber from BSG and Freema Agyeman from DW and it was great. It was how I was introduced to Bradley Walsh and Ben Daniels, and then of course Peter shows up!

So I would be down with checking this out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:smith:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1425833204750061570

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What the gently caress? Isn't Una Stubbs supposed to be one of those ladies who is just always there no matter how many years pass, and everybody is always happy to see her? :smith:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/seanpertwee/status/1426084842752679936

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

From my boyfriend’s university textbook:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Why does that photo look 40 years older than what it really is?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He looks younger than when he was Nine.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

And Capaldi says multi-Doctor stories don't work :rolleyes:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't know what the hell Capaldi was smoking with that one.

Watching The Doctor bounce off themselves is always wonderful fun.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wanna get Six and Twelve within grumping distance of one another

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Seriously, I assumed it was from the 80s and was like,"Wait, how old is Whittaker?" but no, 2012! Attack the Block was made before this!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stumbled across a film called Eat Locals on the Horror Channel in the UK, and it’s like a Who’s Who Appeared on Who. Freema Agyeman, Tony Curran, Eve Myles, Annette Crosbie, Mackenzie Crook, and even Charlie Cox. It’s delightfully silly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Set design plus the colors being warped significantly by print, I feel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1427299385289973766?s=19

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lookin' especially Illithilidy there, Oodguy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pretty sure those are some Fallout assets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, that’s almost certainly some Power Armor sans shoulder pads on the guy behind the Cyberman.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Lmao, that's a power armor and a super sledgehammer from Fallout 3. Bethesda's pretty litigious too, what... what are they thinking?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Finish do the best Cybermen voices so them against the 9th Doctor is gonna rule.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Big Finish do the best Cybermen voices so them against the 9th Doctor is gonna rule.

I wish they'd stop only doing the Moonbase ones though. Briggs really has his blinkers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Lmao, that's a power armor and a super sledgehammer from Fallout 3. Bethesda's pretty litigious too, what... what are they thinking?

BF has used lots of FO3 assets in the past, according to twitter

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallout's aesthetic fits pretty well for a story set in a future that leads to the creation of Cybermen, and Doctor Who has skirted near a lot of aesthetics from other series

The Lie Of The Land feels right out of Half-Life 2 at times

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You could have done some real Fallout-esque things with Orphan 55, instead of whatever that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013