Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Survivor Series 1998 was the very rare example of a Russo-riffic convoluted story that actually worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Who has been "released from the company" officially since AEW began?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jimmy Havoc. Ivelesse. Uh, I think that's it, otherwise people have quietly retired but no one's really been let go

And that one Spanish announcer who did a live racism and pissed off Thunder Rosa

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 7, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bea Priestly and Jamie Hayter, I think? Unsure of their deal status. Kong, also.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Bea's contract expired, Jamie never signed.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Bea and Hayter weren't full time, were they? I thought they were on per appearance deals.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Sadie Gibbs was released last year IIRC? She was signed early, if not at the reveal presser

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

Bea and Hayter weren't full time, were they? I thought they were on per appearance deals.

Plus at least Bea was in Japan so it's probably a COVID thing.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Someone (MRT?) mentioned in another thread that CIMA is hated by a lot of people. What are the details on that? I liked seeing CIMA matches and wish that whole Chinese promotion thing actually took off because it could have been cool.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

luchadornado posted:

Someone (MRT?) mentioned in another thread that CIMA is hated by a lot of people. What are the details on that? I liked seeing CIMA matches and wish that whole Chinese promotion thing actually took off because it could have been cool.

I'm sure others can elaborate in more detail, but from what I understand he's made a lot of empty promises to people as a promoter, and has the kind of big ego that clashes with other big egos.

Mind you, you don't really get to CIMA's position without having a big ego. Even when he's hated, he's still well respected as one of the best workers in the world for over 20 years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I'm sure others can elaborate in more detail, but from what I understand he's made a lot of empty promises to people as a promoter, and has the kind of big ego that clashes with other big egos.

Mind you, you don't really get to CIMA's position without having a big ego. Even when he's hated, he's still well respected as one of the best workers in the world for over 20 years.

Wasn't he involved with that instance of abusing a chimp, too?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He bought the monkey but wasn't involved in the abuse.

CIMA is a hated man in Dragon Gate and probably wrestlers related to that system. He was the guy there for years and years and that is always going to lead to issues. But I think the main thing now is he was trying to take over the company a few years ago, but ended up just taking over the international wing which amounted to nothing, and then OWE amounted to nothing. The current company wants nothing to do with him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

instance of what

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Andrast posted:

instance of what

the dragons gate dojo had a live in chimp as a pet

they didn't treat it very well

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Manwithastick posted:

What is the point of dark/elevation?

It costs money to make, it features a load of nothing matches and the YT views pale in comparison to TV - All it seems to be is squash matches like a HEAT or JAKKED back in the day

i understand it allows talent to get experience but to me I just don't see the point when they work outside of AEW

On top of the other reasons people said, Youtube is, I guess, probably AEW's biggest exposure driver and Youtube's algorithms are more likely to recommend channels that people are spending a long time watching. It's the same reason a lot of Youtubers have to desperately pad out videos to make something last 10 minutes that could have easily taken 2 - more minutes watched = more new viewers.

Dark itself isn't gonna be the important thing, that's mainly for diehard fans who are already watching the TV, but them watching increases the chance that someone else see's a 2 minute clip of 'Holy poo poo is that...Sting? And who's that skinny kid with him?:stare::stare::stare: HOLY poo poo HE JUST BACKWARDS JUMPED INTO A COFFIN WTF!'. Their Youtube game is probably why their demo's are so much better than WWE's - they're actively going to places where younger folk are.

When people look back on how AEW started catching WWE, they'll talk about Mox and Orange Cassidy and good storytelling and veterans being used to grow young talent, but the unsexy but more important bit is gonna be how all those analytics companies Tony Kahn owns are being used to do marketing like that. WWE's actually no slouch either but I suspect getting a 75 year old notibly batshit insane coke addled roidmonster to understand, and act on, statistical analysis of algorithmic marketing funnels is probably....challenging.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's noteable that when Shingo won the IWGP World title every Dragongate guy congratulated him or was happy for him but it took CIMA like 24 hours to tweet a tepid statement that read like he was forced to so as to not look at complete jerk

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Does a long read or decent article/podcast exist regarding Summerslam 1992? It’s a decent enough show but with, arguably, one of the biggest WWF audiences ever by that point. Has anything been published regarding how, why and when they decided to move the show to the UK, the logistics of booking the national stadium, the reception in the states etc? Thank you.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think it can be mostly summed up by a few things: US attendances deflated throughout 1991, most markedly Wrestlemania getting moved out of the Coliseum to the Sports Arena, them realizing they’d not put a big show in the UK before despite yearly tours, so there would be massive amounts of pent up demand for it, and also at that point Vince actually booked poo poo out well ahead of time so he was planning on putting the IC belt on Bulldog in the near term. Suddenly it all seemed like a natural thing to do: book Wembley, put the IC title match at the top of the marketing as “homeland hero goes for the title” and let national pride and “holy poo poo there’s a Summerslam in London” carry ticket sales.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
what are some of the best(or very good) under 15 minute matches out there? anything goes.

these 2 shelton benjamin matches come to mind

vs hbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKxYoFzAjg

vs undertaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE6pBx1G_2g

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

what are some of the best(or very good) under 15 minute matches out there? anything goes.

vs hbk

vs undertaker

Rey vs Eddie, Halloween Havoc 97
Rey vs Psychosis Bash at the Beach 96
DDP vs Goldberg, Fall Brawl 98

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DEAR RICHARD posted:

vs hbk

vs undertaker

Ishii vs Shibata

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pretty sure Yano v. Omega is around 10 minutes.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I want to know why the entire SummerSlam 92 card was entirely revamped at seemingly the last minute. LOD are feuding with the Beverlys but end up wrestling Money Inc, who were feuding with Earthquake and Typhoon who end up wrestling The Beverlys. Repo Man is feuding with British Bulldog but this gets dropped for the Bret Hart match (it's obvious why, but why have Davey feuding with Repo Man at all?). Papa Shango is feuding with The Ultimate Warrior which gets dropped for the WWF title match.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Hawk was also completely loaded during the LOD/Money Inc. match

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DeathChicken posted:

Jimmy Havoc. Ivelesse. Uh, I think that's it, otherwise people have quietly retired but no one's really been let go

And that one Spanish announcer who did a live racism and pissed off Thunder Rosa

Ivelisse was on a per-show deal, not a contract. They just stopped booking her. Same with Shanna. Awesome Kong, Gibbs, Bea, and Havoc all had contracts to one degree or another.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think Shanna was actually on a contract, they just let the contract run out and didn't renew her

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Shanna would have needed a visa which would have required a full contract

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Alaois posted:

I think Shanna was actually on a contract, they just let the contract run out and didn't renew her

Yeah, you're right. It's kinda funny how someone who complains about locker room bullies all the time was such an rear end in a top hat to the unsigned talent that she lost a contract gig.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DEAR RICHARD posted:

vs hbk

vs undertaker

One of my favourites, from 2004 New Japan, Katsuyori Shibata challenging Kazuyuki Fujita for the IWGP HW Title

Honestly, Shibata has quite a few, like the 2013 G1 match with Tomohiro Ishii that was kind of Ishii's coming out party

For something a little older, Burning vs NO FEAR is a real good tag match from October 1999 All Japan that clocks in at 14 54

My final offering is this Big Japan tag match from last September with Fuminori Abe & Takuya Nomura against Shinjiro Otani & Yuya Aoki which was one of the matches that sold me on Astronauts for best Tag Team active right now

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, you're right. It's kinda funny how someone who complains about locker room bullies all the time was such an rear end in a top hat to the unsigned talent that she lost a contract gig.
It's always projection

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Gaz-L posted:

Padding the video library is probably a big part.

It's a huge part. Eventually they want a Peacock style deal of their own, and long Darks and Elevations pad their "hours of content" number.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I probably would have liked Starship Troopers more the first time I saw it if I'd known what to expect from Paul Verhoeven. But I was also a dumb kid so maybe not.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Starship Troopers is a great sci-fi action movie but then you watch it again and realize it’s a fantastic comedy

https://youtu.be/8PpKA9klZWQ

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

Pastamania posted:

On top of the other reasons people said, Youtube is, I guess, probably AEW's biggest exposure driver and Youtube's algorithms are more likely to recommend channels that people are spending a long time watching. It's the same reason a lot of Youtubers have to desperately pad out videos to make something last 10 minutes that could have easily taken 2 - more minutes watched = more new viewers.

Dark itself isn't gonna be the important thing, that's mainly for diehard fans who are already watching the TV, but them watching increases the chance that someone else see's a 2 minute clip of 'Holy poo poo is that...Sting? And who's that skinny kid with him?:stare::stare::stare: HOLY poo poo HE JUST BACKWARDS JUMPED INTO A COFFIN WTF!'. Their Youtube game is probably why their demo's are so much better than WWE's - they're actively going to places where younger folk are.

When people look back on how AEW started catching WWE, they'll talk about Mox and Orange Cassidy and good storytelling and veterans being used to grow young talent, but the unsexy but more important bit is gonna be how all those analytics companies Tony Kahn owns are being used to do marketing like that. WWE's actually no slouch either but I suspect getting a 75 year old notibly batshit insane coke addled roidmonster to understand, and act on, statistical analysis of algorithmic marketing funnels is probably....challenging.

I feel like WWE understands YouTube.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I want to know why the entire SummerSlam 92 card was entirely revamped at seemingly the last minute. LOD are feuding with the Beverlys but end up wrestling Money Inc, who were feuding with Earthquake and Typhoon who end up wrestling The Beverlys. Repo Man is feuding with British Bulldog but this gets dropped for the Bret Hart match (it's obvious why, but why have Davey feuding with Repo Man at all?). Papa Shango is feuding with The Ultimate Warrior which gets dropped for the WWF title match.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Hawk was also completely loaded during the LOD/Money Inc. match

Yeah, from what I understand LOD was demoted to the Money Inc. match because Hawk had been out of control for a while. I'm shocked he didn't crash his bike when you look at him just wandering around the ring like he's confused as to why he's there.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

vs hbk

vs undertaker

Angle/Mysterio's 9-minute opener for SummerSlam '02 is terrific.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There’s an X-Pac vs Tajiri match from Smackdown in 2001 or 2002 that went like 9 minutes and is pretty much the perfect TV match

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, from what I understand LOD was demoted to the Money Inc. match because Hawk had been out of control for a while. I'm shocked he didn't crash his bike when you look at him just wandering around the ring like he's confused as to why he's there.

Animal told a story that Hawk parked too close and on the wrong side of Animal's motorcycle, so Animal was forced to get off on the wrong side. He ended up burning his leg so severely on the exhaust pipe that his tights fused to his skin.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Karl Ontario posted:

I feel like WWE understands YouTube.
Was it ever properly determined if their YouTube stats are JUST their own uploads or if they also cover every user upload that WWE has matched and monetized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Plus Savage was still feuding with Flair, Undertaker had started a feud with Berzerker, Martel was still feuding with Tatanka, and Bret and Shawn were teasing a feud.