Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They don’t need to use night vision to see glow sticks though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If there's a chopper coming at night, they are gonna have night vision going. Not going to risk flying in the mountains in Afghanistan at night without it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm watching The Objective and there's a scene where they are waiting for a chopper and to signal where they are, at night, they use green glow sticks. For a chopper that's going to be using night vision. That's green.

They should use either uv or red, and I get that it's less neat looking for the movie scene, but every time the protags use night vision in the movie so far it's lime green. It's not a big leap of logic to go "Maybe we should use white ones?" so it seems a bit less dumb and pointless. Green glow sticks are not going to show up at all on green night vision. It'll just look like the soldiers are having a vogue off on the mountain.
Are you under the impression that green glow sticks are the same brightness as the surrounding area and would therfore be invisible with night vision?

That said, for IR-based night vision systems there are indeed IR glow sticks

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I

Am I the stupid one here or does it not matter at all what loving color the glowstick is because bright light is bright light?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FFT posted:

New Suicide Squad: why would he not simply use lanyards? Or even monofilament lanyards, given that the gadget weapons are clearly controlled by intention

/e: okay, not monofilament lanyards, that wouldn't work well in the long or shortened limbs run

He who? Use lanyards for what?

I saw The Suicide Squad and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bussamove posted:

I

Am I the stupid one here or does it not matter at all what loving color the glowstick is because bright light is bright light?

No, you are absolutely correct.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Night vision is just when you put a green filter over everything, right?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Much like ambulances leaving hospitals, the very existence of green glowsticks in this age of night vision is absurdity.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

rydiafan posted:

He who? Use lanyards for what?

I saw The Suicide Squad and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah I’m confused about this as well.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah I’m confused about this as well.

Possibly Bloodsport and his little tech weapons? Like lanyards to make sure he didn’t drop/lose them?

My IIMM for Suicide Squad is how little Michael Rooker actually ended up being in the movie.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bussamove posted:

My IIMM is how little Michael Rooker actually ended up being in movies.

I remember seeing Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer when it came out, and thinking what a great actor he was, but then his career has been pretty low key. Dude should have more leading roles.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Elissimpark posted:

I remember seeing Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer when it came out, and thinking what a great actor he was, but then his career has been pretty low key. Dude should have more leading roles.

While I totally agree, he’s also awesome as a supporting actor in pretty much everything he does though. Such a joy to see him on-screen.

Mallrats
Guardians of the Galaxy
F9
Suicide Squad
The Walking Dead
Slither
Tombstone

Regardless of individual film quality, I always cheer when I see him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So as silly as the green glowsticks thing is, I'm more intrigued by the suggestion you use red glowsticks instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

So as silly as the green glowsticks thing is, I'm more intrigued by the suggestion you use red glowsticks instead.

And that red glow sticks will show up red on night vision because reasons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's like the argument is...irrational or something?

Also, wtf ever happened to Marge's mom on the Simpsons? I haven't watched a new episode in probably 10 years but her disappearance is weird given all the screen time they give to Abe and the twin sisters.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And that red glow sticks will show up red on night vision because reasons.

Red glow sticks will show up on night vision because red light doesn't ruin your night vision :pseudo:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baron von Eevl posted:

Red puts out more near-infrared, maybe? IR is what night vision actually detects.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It's like the argument is...irrational or something?

Also, wtf ever happened to Marge's mom on the Simpsons? I haven't watched a new episode in probably 10 years but her disappearance is weird given all the screen time they give to Abe and the twin sisters.

Serious answer: she's apparently still appearing in new episodes: https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Mother_and_Child_Reunion

Sad answer: she can no longer be distinguished from Marge, because Julie Kavner sounds just as bad all the time now as the comically painful voice she did for Marge's mother 30 years ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

Red puts out more near-infrared, maybe? IR is what night vision actually detects.

IR is what some night vision detects but a lot of it is just light amplification.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Imagined posted:

Serious answer: she's apparently still appearing in new episodes: https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Mother_and_Child_Reunion

Sad answer: she can no longer be distinguished from Marge, because Julie Kavner sounds just as bad all the time now as the comically painful voice she did for Marge's mother 30 years ago.

Weird.

I can't recall another Simpsons character the writers just let die on the vine like that. Say what you want about the show and its inconsistency or drop off in quality but, at a minimum, it's been pretty good at character development and exploring everyone on the show.

Marge's mom was just...gone after season one, like Chuck in Happy Days or Tiger in the Brady Bunch. You'd think there'd be an opportunity there for Patty and Selma being stuck taking care of her at least and exploring some plot lines of resentment in that mold that expand on the characters' existing tension. Hell, stick her in Abe's Old Folks' Home and do some stories with that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's two kinds of night vision, active and passive. Passive night vision uses individual particles of light reactive phosphor that glow bright green when light hits them, effectively amplifying any light that enters the lens. It is not commonly used anymore except in special circumstances

Active night vision uses a digital camera in conjunction with infrared lights that are invisible to the naked eye but show up bright on camera

The output is then coloured green because everybody knows that night vision is supposed to be green

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Green glow sticks are not going to show up at all on green night vision.

Yes, they will. Night vision is amplifying the light incident on the receptors, the color of light it displays to the user is just a design choice because it was felt that if you're going to be looking at a monochrome display that green is the least fatiguing-color to look at for long periods of time. NVGs don't care what the color of the incident light is. Modern night-vision systems do not just display in green, and something approaching true color is even available. But even if they do display in green, a green glow stick is going to show up like a flare.

The dumb part is that if you're trying to hide a green glow stick is going to show up to people who *aren't* wearing NVGs, so yeah, you're right that in that case you'd use an IR one instead. .

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The human eye can also perceive more shades of green than any other color.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Weird.

I can't recall another Simpsons character the writers just let die on the vine like that. Say what you want about the show and its inconsistency or drop off in quality but, at a minimum, it's been pretty good at character development and exploring everyone on the shoan

What do you mean? They totally dropped Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure...

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm watching The Objective and there's a scene where they are waiting for a chopper and to signal where they are, at night, they use green glow sticks. For a chopper that's going to be using night vision. That's green.

They should use either uv or red, and I get that it's less neat looking for the movie scene, but every time the protags use night vision in the movie so far it's lime green. It's not a big leap of logic to go "Maybe we should use white ones?" so it seems a bit less dumb and pointless. Green glow sticks are not going to show up at all on green night vision. It'll just look like the soldiers are having a vogue off on the mountain.

Please double down on this. I had so much fun with the ambulance thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They definitely used less of Mrs Bouvier, but I think it's because Julie hated doing that voice.

Here's one to consider, season 1 Burns and Moe had a different voice actor.

edit back to night vision chat I think all digital cameras detect IR, it's just usually a lot less bright than ambient light. Try pointing a remote control at your phone camera, you can see the LED light up.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Aug 8, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

sullat posted:

What do you mean? They totally dropped Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure...

Assuming this isn't sarcasm for the moment.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Baron von Eevl posted:

They definitely used less of Mrs Bouvier, but I think it's because Julie hated doing that voice.

edit back to night vision chat I think all digital cameras detect IR, it's just usually a lot less bright than ambient light. Try pointing a remote control at your phone camera, you can see the LED light up.

Depends on the model of the camera; While the digital camera chips do detect near infra red, some manufacturers filter it out at the lens.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not only that, but he was the same voice actor as Starscream and Cobra Commander. Unfortunately he passed away in 1994.

(EDIT) Although according to Wikipedia, he was replaced on The Simpsons because he was simply a pain to work with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Depends on the model of the camera; While the digital camera chips do detect near infra red, some manufacturers filter it out at the lens.

Usually the ir filter ('hot mirror') lets some near IR through, to avoid hurting pickup in the visible range

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, it is an irrationally irritating movie moment.

I've tried googling it to see what the proper procedure is and basically from what I can gather, it depends on the type of night vision used (thermal vs ir vs light amp) as to what is visible to who. It boils down to "check with the equipment guy before you leave" so, no idea.

So, I guess it's possible those dudes in the chopper could have seen em, but they were kinda dumb for using colored ones out where they were worried about the Taliban finding em instead of the ir ones.

Either way, it bugged me, but the movie was pretty good. Ending kinda sucked though.

I will fully accept this as my ambulance moment.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's irrational because I know how realistic it is, but it really bugs me when people see something weird and just take out their phone and start filming it. In this movie "a classic horror story", there's this lady that walked onto the beach covered in blood and is walking into the ocean. Everyone on the beach just starts filming her instead of doing anything useful, like even asking her if she's ok.

Also I understand why they did it based on the premise of the movie but that thing from Midsommar they ripped off where the weird cult guys start mimicking the victim crying/moaning etc isn't scary, it's dumb and I would not be part of any murder cult that made me do it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SiKboy posted:

Most do, because the sensors are so sensitive to infrared that you'd get pronounced color shifts if you didn't filter it. If you're doing astrophotography it's a common mod to remove the filter because it also severely knocks back h-alpha emissions, and Canon and Nikon even make special cameras for that purpose that are just another one of their cameras with the filter left off.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's irrational because I know how realistic it is, but it really bugs me when people see something weird and just take out their phone and start filming it. In this movie "a classic horror story", there's this lady that walked onto the beach covered in blood and is walking into the ocean. Everyone on the beach just starts filming her instead of doing anything useful, like even asking her if she's ok.

I appreciated how this worked in the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds. Everyone rushes to take pictures when the aliens show up but then an EMP wrecks their cameras. In the next scene the only person still taking pictures is a guy with a manual camera.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Also I understand why they did it based on the premise of the movie but that thing from Midsommar they ripped off where the weird cult guys start mimicking the victim crying/moaning etc isn't scary, it's dumb and I would not be part of any murder cult that made me do it.

In Midsommar it made sense, it was thematically relevant. I haven't seen this other movie but I'm going to go ahead and guess this murder cult doesn't represent codependency or like collectivism or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

In Midsommar it made sense, it was thematically relevant. I haven't seen this other movie but I'm going to go ahead and guess this murder cult doesn't represent codependency or like collectivism or something.

Basically some dude drugged/tricked a bunch of people into starring in his "real" horror movie, so it makes sense that he'd rip off some things from other horror movies. The tagline for the movie was even "Cabin in the woods meets Midsommar" too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's lame as poo poo. I guess it's thematically relevant in that neither the villain nor the filmmakers understood the things they were ripping off.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's lame as poo poo. I guess it's thematically relevant in that neither the villain nor the filmmakers understood the things they were ripping off.

I've definitely seen much worse but yeah it's just a mess of trying to be too many movies at once. I mean, I admittedly have very low-brow tastes but this one didn't do anything redeeming (e.g. making it funny) when it was ripping other movies off. I don't even like midsommar but at least they were trying for a message/theme and I can appreciate that, but this one was just doing it because it worked in a totally different movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought Resolution did a good job of that "this is a whole bunch of horror movies at once" thing while it also making sense why it's all these different horror tropes at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

flavor.flv posted:

The output is then coloured green because everybody knows that night vision is supposed to be green

Not anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBPcinUz-L0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLzUFNUtErY