Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghetto Prince posted:

The government seems to have moved most forces to the east to try to rescue Lashkargah, which isn't nearly as important as Zaranj.

Yes. Major uptick in SF presence in lashkargah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Now THAT is a shock. That’s the first real stronghold thats fallen and its the capital of the one warlord I figured would still hold out.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Large scale US airstrikes to resume against advancing Taliban, apparently with the latest B-52 deployment to the gulf apperently meant for Afghanistan (and perhaps a signal to Iran)

Guess the US is having second thought about allowing for Afghanistan to completely collapse.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like it's "decent interval" style rear end covering. If the country falls completely within months of withdrawal, it becomes an easier attack against Biden than if the country just sort of gradually crumbles as the culmination of an inevitable process. Either way it's obviously a failure spanning multiple administrations that Biden just happened to inherit the tail end of, but the suddeness of the Taliban's advance makes it appear like a new thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did we do bombing after the fall of Saigon in ‘75 also?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did we do bombing after the fall of Saigon in ‘75 also?

Nah, once we were done with that war we were really done with that war, so we didn't impede their advance. The fact that North Vietnam was already a real government with international recognition makes it a different story though, plus the US had much higher war weariness from Vietnam, while most Americans barely remember Afghanistan exists at this point. FWIW I'm not entirely sold on the idea that we're going to start up a massive bombing campaign in Afghanistan either, and this could just be the geopolitical equivalent of warning shots (or "we didn't do literally nothing" rear end covering instead of "well we dragged it out for another year" rear end covering), so we'll have to wait and see. But the Taliban wasn't widely recognized as a legitimate government even when they controlled the country, so bombing them won't bother anyone too much either way. Even countries that don't like the US mostly either also dislike the Taliban a whole lot or just wouldn't mind seeing the US keep wasting money blowing poo poo up there.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 8, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

As Ebrahim Raisi got sworn in four days ago, I anticipate a shitstorm of bullshit coming out of Iran this month.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
More losses in the north, the Taliban took Kunduz, and Sar-e Pol is reported to be surrendering right now. The government is still trying to get back into Lashkar Gah and accomplishing nothing there.

This is starting to look like a complete collapse.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghetto Prince posted:

More losses in the north, the Taliban took Kunduz, and Sar-e Pol is reported to be surrendering right now. The government is still trying to get back into Lashkar Gah and accomplishing nothing there.

Give it time. There was a big intl hubub about what to do. Now it's a little quieter with the US doing a bot response of "we ask for immediate ceasefire", LOL. Yeah buddy guess what the Taliban will have a permanent ceasefire in place in just a few months.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Nah, once we were done with that war we were really done with that war, so we didn't impede their advance. The fact that North Vietnam was already a real government with international recognition makes it a different story though, plus the US had much higher war weariness from Vietnam, while most Americans barely remember Afghanistan exists at this point. FWIW I'm not entirely sold on the idea that we're going to start up a massive bombing campaign in Afghanistan either, and this could just be the geopolitical equivalent of warning shots (or "we didn't do literally nothing" rear end covering instead of "well we dragged it out for another year" rear end covering), so we'll have to wait and see. But the Taliban wasn't widely recognized as a legitimate government even when they controlled the country, so bombing them won't bother anyone too much either way. Even countries that don't like the US mostly either also dislike the Taliban a whole lot or just wouldn't mind seeing the US keep wasting money blowing poo poo up there.

With the advance of ISIS in Iraq the breaking point was Baghdad. Up until that point the US was comfortable pretending it was raining as ISIS claimed most of the non-Kurd western territories. The US was committed enough to keeping course that even the fall of Mosul didn't merit course correction. All that said, ISIS advanced on Baghdad several years after Obama's roll-out. Here we're talking months if things keep pace.

Ghetto Prince posted:

It's like I wrote a few weeks ago, there's just not enough people willing to lay down their lives for the idea of the Afghan state. Or at the very least, not outside of Kabul.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Sinteres posted:

The regional player dynamic going forward will be interesting. China, Iran, and Russia were/are definitely no friends of the Taliban, so in the old days they'd be cheering US military action for their own reasons.

But I think the times have changed - most important has been the complete devastation of USA's empire making. And regional assets will continue to slip away and even partners will continue to look elsewhere.

I don't think anyone would join the Taliban in military action against the USA if they decide to attack again, but I think the USA will learn quickly that this isn't the 2000s anymore. That self-righteous yankee cowboy swagger has less currency these days, and will only get worse as the years go on.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This was pretty evident with Cuba, where, after a week of drumming up fervor against the island, Blinken managed to assemble an utterly anemic list of nations willing to even go the length of toothlessly denouncing an island they largely aren't allowed to trade with.

America has no clout left in the field of foreign policy. South America is experiencing a new pink wave, Afghanistan is officially a lost war, domestic public opinion is turning against Israel, and Iran has predictably reacted to the US's latest bullshit with anointing the most anti-US president possible. Their biggest achievement as of late has been turning international public opinion against China (but not government opinions, who still need to trade with them), and COVID-19 conspiracies did the brunt of the work there.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

MiddleOne posted:

With the advance of ISIS in Iraq the breaking point was Baghdad. Up until that point the US was comfortable pretending it was raining as ISIS claimed most of the non-Kurd western territories. The US was committed enough to keeping course that even the fall of Mosul didn't merit course correction. All that said, ISIS advanced on Baghdad several years after Obama's roll-out. Here we're talking months if things keep pace.

It's like I wrote a few weeks ago, there's just not enough people willing to lay down their lives for the idea of the Afghan state. Or at the very least, not outside of Kabul.

The difference is the Taliban only want to control Afghanistan, they aren't going to invade their neighbors and wont directly do international terror attacks

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/RisboLensky/status/1424340948838928386

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

US is withdrawing from Afghanistan in reverse technological order.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
"Stratobombers" carry guided bombs the same as drones or fighters do.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

"Stratobombers" carry guided bombs the same as drones or fighters do.

Yeah, they're not carpet bombing. I think the advantage is they can launch them from bases outside of Afghanistan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cut to B-17s bombing the newly captured Kunduz next week

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The guy has no idea what he's talking about. Russia employed strategic bombers in Syria, that's true! They specifically used these planes to drop a bunch of dumb bombs and cluster munitions from high altitude on predominately urban areas well behind the areas fighting was taking place. I don't think anyone gave a poo poo about them employing strategic bombers so much as the whole carpet bombing cities with zero attempt to even pretend to discriminate part.

In contrast the US has been employing strategic bombers (B-52 and B-1B) in Iraq and Afghanistan on and off since the conflicts started as close air support planes that can hang around for a long time with a enough guided bombs to drop on whatever ground forces need blown up that day. So this isn't particularly noteworthy - and unless they start carpet bombing city blocks to flatten all the Afghan hospitals it doesn't seem to be comparable to what Russia drew criticism for.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Well, I like my dumb joke better than your explanations! :mad:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I posted that because only the US has those, it shows that they are still bombing. the AAF has predators and such, but a B-52 means the US is still there.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Vasukhani posted:

I posted that because only the US has those, it shows that they are still bombing. the AAF has predators and such, but a B-52 means the US is still there.

The AAF definitely does not have preds…

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

LibCrusher posted:

The AAF definitely does not have preds…

yeh they dont

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, I like my dumb joke better than your explanations! :mad:

Didn't direct that at you so much as the twitter guy.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, the B-52 is platform of choice because they'll have an aerial spotter like a fighter or JSTARs and the B-52 will drop one or two of its very large payload direct on target, then go back to orbiting waiting for the next drop.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, the B-52 is platform of choice because they'll have an aerial spotter like a fighter or JSTARs and the B-52 will drop one or two of its very large payload direct on target, then go back to orbiting waiting for the next drop.
They're also relatively cheap to fly and no one cares about putting hours on them because they are massively over-engineered flying dump trucks that the Air Force will never run out of sparrs for.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The fighting is all in cities now, and dropping that kind of ordinance on cities is still going to kill thousands more civilians, and at this point it will be essentially for nothing. Maybe it could have accomplished something a few months ago, before the government lost the north, but the Taliban offensive just keeps going. With the government now bogged down in Lashkar Gah , the Taliban were able to take Farah quickly, and have attacked two more northern provincial capitals.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's ok, the US envoy to Afghanistan is going to really sternly tell the Taliban to stop winning the war:

quote:

The United State envoy on Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, “will press the Taliban to stop their military offensive” at talks in Qatar’s capital this week, the State Department announced after the armed group seized a string of provincial capitals.

“Ambassador Khalilzad will be in Doha to help formulate a joint international response to the rapidly deteriorating situation in Afghanistan,” the department added in a statement on Monday.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/10/us-envoy-in-doha-to-press-taliban-for-end-to-offensive

The sullen acceptance that US goals in Afghanistan are completely hosed really comes through in the article.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was there actually any good reason to invade Afghanistan in response to 9/11? I wonder what would've happened to Afghanistan had we not?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

Was there actually any good reason to invade Afghanistan in response to 9/11? I wonder what would've happened to Afghanistan had we not?

Arguably, if the purpose was very severely degrading Taliban / AQ ability to plan and launch attacks overseas, the combo of financial network attack/lockdown plus rather limited boots-on-ground (even if very hit and run) raids on key TB/AQ leadership networks early on did a very good job of wrecking their overseas projection capability.

That was all accomplished very early on and then the game of ever-shifting goalposts kicked off plus Iraq and welp…

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The Taliban and Al Qaeda are not groups you put a slash between when talking about planning attacks overseas or leadership networks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The Taliban and Al Qaeda are not groups you put a slash between when talking about planning attacks overseas or leadership networks.

In the extremely limited context of “I am furious at UBL and it’s 2001-2002”, yeah you probably do, because a fantasy about stopping the conflict in 2002 or maaaybe 2003 already stretches credulity enough without expecting a clear delibeation of AQ in Afghanistan vs TB. The key limitation would be “don’t chase regime change,” but it would definitely involve targeting TB actors and money.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Didn't the Taliban offer to provide Osama Bin Laden?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Only in a manner that had enough caveats to be completely and deliberately unacceptable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sort of, but yes, even before 9/11. The offer was to turn him over to a member of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation to stand trial, but the US had little interest in that. Especially after 9/11 where America has one hell of an axe to grind, and ol' GW wants to show off how powerful Neoliberalism can be at forging a new empire.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Any country with similar capabilities would have invaded, and the near unanimity in the US supporting it even from generally anti-war voices proves it. The Taliban may not have been actively assisting OBL in striking at the West, but it was obviously aware that he'd done so already and intended to do so in the future before 9/11, so they shared culpability for allowing him to continue growing and training his network there. Deciding we could recreate the country as a Western style democracy after invading if we just sat there long enough was definitely hubris setting in though.

The real gently caress up in terms of diplomatic options was not taking him when Sudan was ready to give him up.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 10, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Here's what we should have done post 9/11: nothing.

That would have been the correct response.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Here's what we should have done post 9/11: nothing.

That would have been the correct response.

Nah, we needed to do something. Virtually every last American wanted to do something. Were you old enough to remember 9/11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
If OBL stands trial in 2001-2002 and is found guilty of orchestrating the attacks through his own group and financing, how are you supposed to convince people that actually Iraq was involved and needs to be invaded?

Comedy option: Iraq provides bases for the Coalition to invade SA.